Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

The Untold Story (I Almost Died) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Untold Story (I Almost Died) (2340 Views)

The untold Story of Ubaga HK >yahoo Yahoo, yahoo plus, mtcn, betrayal! / The Untold Story Of Adam And Eve / Short Story: I Am A Monster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 2:14am On Feb 25, 2022
You see that corner? He said pointing to a spot. Anyone who sleeps there dies. It’s kind of mysterious. I have slept there. I should have died last night too, but I got away.”
[An Excerpt]

Once worked in a hotel during the days of my job hunting after I left school. It was there I knew there was more to life than I ever thought, perhaps imagined. After my experience there, I really feel sorry for anyone who feel there has never been anything like terrestrial powers, spirits and all sorts of demonic folks. Truth is, all of these things existed and still exist and will keep existing. Yes, they will, if Christ tallies. The world indeed is spiritual, every bit of it.

You might be wondering why I’m so convinced about my claims right? Well, relax, cross your fingers as I take you slowly to the days I saw my ears without a mirror before my face.

When I left school, I skipped the compulsory one year service the following year. I said I was going to use that 365days to equip myself with a lucrative skill hat would pay off in the nearest future. Truth is, I didn’t have any skill in mind while I was rounding up with school until the period I did my project, I came to realize how lucrative being a computer literate could be if one could be very good and stayed at an open place.

Months after graduation, I met this guy whom I enquired what it would cost to learn the basics of computer and other related stuffs. The first thing he asked was if I owned a laptop. “Yes. But it’s faulty,” my response.
He said I’d need to put it in order if I want to learn faster. I told him about my financial constraints. He said I should try my best to put the system in order.

So, I further asked if I could start with any of the system in his shop and that was when he gave me a bill above my budget. The amount he said I’d pay to start training was fu**ing huggge!! I pleaded for reduction but he advised I get a good system, get a certain amount of money before we could begin the training. I couldn’t even afford half of the money he mentioned and that was how I gave up on computer training. I’d come back later, until then, let me make some money first; I said to myself. And you know life happens like that.
Oftentimes, we make better plans for ourselves and yet it would yield no positive results. Well, we’ll always keep trying right? Yes! Don’t ever give up until you see the sunshine. My father died a poor man, and my grandparents too, I’m going to break the chain. I surely will: I had always said to myself.

My name is Genevieve not Nnaji. No Papa, five siblings and poor Mama. We lived in Asaba, Delta State. Having searched here and there for a profitable work to keep myself busy, I landed in one top hotel as a room attendant through a friend who linked me up with the hotel manager and the rest became history. It’s really disheartening that virtually everything in this country is gotten through connections! [Sighs]

We worked in a way that we had shifts; morning and night. And it was rotated weekly. The workers there were much that I barely knew half. Like I told you, it was a very big and luxury hotel. Top celebrities and politicians do check in on daily basis. It enjoyed considerable patronage among various visitors and workers in Asaba, the state capital.

The hotel had a large terraced lawn and the stairs leading to it were in three parts. The front of the hotel was decorated in flowers. As you entered the hotel porch, a line of very beautiful vase holding equally beautiful collections of flowers met you. Damn! The building must have been designed by a sort of demigod designer. If not connection, nothing could have brought me that far. The good thing is, their salary was mouthwatering, and they never waited till month end before we received our salary. I really enjoyed working for them. I was able to foot my bills with my monthly salary, and still had enough to support my mother.

As the first child, I never knew pain until father passed away that ugly day at the Teaching hospital. He had long battled with prostrate cancer but unfortunately, he lost the fight to the cold hands of death. Quite unfortunate. He was the best father ever! I miss him every day! May his gentle soul rest in peace — Amen.

You know God couldn’t be everywhere and therefore, He made mothers. Mine became everything my siblings and I had after father was gone to a journey of no return. Like we all know, the real mourning starts the moment everyone had travelled after burial. Yes, that was when reality was dawn on us.
Everyone disappeared into the thin air. Not even those who promised to sort my siblings school fees. Life hard shaa.

My father’s demise practically gave mom room to be a better and devout Christian. She has always trusted God like the husbands to the widows which God Himself promised in the Holy Book. Well, without mincing words, I’m proud to say that I was and I’m still a daughter of a praying mother.

So, I while worked at the hotel, I used my free day to practice podcast and how I could become a reputable OAP. Yes, your guess is absolutely right, I meant Online Air Personality.
It was something I was so passionate about I had always admired Munachi Abii. She's a multitalented actress; a songwriter, television presenter, a model, a rapper, former Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria (2007). She had always been my muse. My every day dream was to meet her someday and tell her how much of inspiration she had been to me.

I’m certain you must be running out of patience with me right now, like I should spare you all these and go straight to my ordeal as a hotel attendant right? Pardon me. I couldn’t skip all of these memories. They’re equally part of my story and they will always remain with me.
[Smirks]

Now, back to my role as a room attendant, I was that easy to be kind of person. Customers relationship was never a challenge to me. Though some of the customers were rude and harsh, yet, I still always kept my cool. Loosing that job would cost me, so I held it like my life depended on it.
Of course, I still had the dream of becoming an OAP. But I’d have to hold firmly to this one at the moment: I had always advised myself. You know a bird at hand is worth more than thousands our there in the bush .

So, I did my very best to maintain a good relationship with the people who lodged in day and night, and they would always drop an impressive review before the manager. He started to like me and within three months and days, I got promoted. I was moved from being a room attendant to Housekeeping Manager! Being good actually pays off. Maybe you shouldn’t quit being one, I’m sure one day yours would be appreciated, but till then, I urge you not to deviate, someone is closely observing, too.

Being promoted comes with jealousy and anxiety too. Yes. I knew couple of my colleagues who were there before me but were never prompted. Some of them practically felt I must have slept with the manager or perhaps did something behind closed doors. I once overheard their discussion. Normally, Nigerians are judgmental, you know right?

Mama been the spiritual mother, she warned me to be very careful with those colleagues of mine, especially the ones their breathe and entire being smelled anger and jealousy. I promised her I’d maintain my lane and be mindful too. Besides, my promotion made it easier, I was not always within reach like I used to. They barely saw and met me regularly like when I was a mere room attendant.

“You see that corner? He said pointing to a spot. Anyone who sleeps there dies. It’s kind of mysterious. I have slept there. I should have died last night too, but I got away.”
“Damn! You don’t mean it. What is wrong with the spot?”

I opened my eyes and it was all a dream. A colleague was telling me not to sleep at a particular spot in a particular room where workers do have some rest. I couldn’t just understood the best interpretation to such dream.

The following day was another terrible nightmare. Damn! This one was more scarily and terrifying. Just like in the horror movies, I saw myself struggling with an unknown figure. It had a vampire effect; blood clustered on its face and its teeth like that of a wolf. I felt a lump in my throat, I tried fighting back, but shit overpowered me until I woke with panic.

I sat on the sofa paralyzed by my thought. It was a cold morning, the daylight still lurking fresh and quiet. It was my off day from work. When Mama came back later in the day, I went into the room and shared my nightmares with her.

“Hmm.. this is strange my daughter,” she said.
“Yes Mama. I’m now scared of going to bed at night,” I replied.
“Don’t worry my daughter. I’m certain that the Lord whom we serve will not put us to shame,” Mama boasted with lots of confidence.

Silence.

“But you’ll have to fast and pray tomorrow, ” she broke the awkward silence.
“Fast…?”
“Yes. Fast and pray. The days are evil. Not everyone out there is happy with your position and sudden promotion. The world we live in is spiritual and only those who are strong in the spirit conquers.” Mama sounded like she was giving out sermon.
I just nodded head reluctantly. Fasting was never something I found interest in doing.

“Erm, when you break the fast, read Psalm this Psalm that…” she added.
“Ok. Mama.”

To be continued....

©️FrankWriter1
Storyteller

Twitter & IG: frankwriter1

Do well to follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 2:16am On Feb 25, 2022
If you're following this story, kindly drop a comment.

I'll post the remaining part Asap.

Drop a comment!!! cry cry cry
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by adeoyekay(m): 2:19am On Feb 25, 2022
frankwriter:
If you're following this story, kindly drop a comment.

I'll post the remaining part Asap.

Drop a comment!!! cry cry cry
nice write up

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 2:27am On Feb 25, 2022
adeoyekay:
nice write up

Thank youuu.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by adeoyekay(m): 2:38am On Feb 25, 2022
frankwriter:

Thank youuu.
you welcome

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Haakeem(m): 6:58am On Feb 25, 2022
Nxt pls.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by daddio(m): 10:46am On Feb 25, 2022
Beautiful piece, waiting for more, may God bless you.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Odoogu(m): 11:57am On Feb 25, 2022
Following...

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 4:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
Haakeem:
Nxt pls.

Thanks for engaging...
The next part is dropping soon.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 4:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
Odoogu:
Following...

wink
Gracias
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 4:07pm On Feb 25, 2022
daddio:
Beautiful piece, waiting for more, may God bless you.

And bless you, too.
Thank you for engaging.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 6:12pm On Feb 27, 2022
Part 2 is out fams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Haakeem(m): 6:29pm On Feb 27, 2022
Why do you take long in dropping episodes.
Nice update's thou!.
Nxt episode pls.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 6:31pm On Feb 27, 2022
Part 2

The following day came with its own mess. I left for work very early in the morning, and throughout the time I was inside Keke, my stomach kept rumbling. I would feel sudden sharp pain below my navel. It kept me so uncomfortable. Sadly, it went on even when I dropped at the hotel. I still felt my belly churning, and sometimes so loud that someone close by would notice. What’s this whole rumbling thing about? Why is this happening today Mama urged me to fast? Lots of questions rushed through my head. My monthly menses had showed up few days ago, I’d have thought it was cramps, but no, it wasn’t it. Anyone who saw me that morning knew all was not really cool with me. The look on my face said it all.

When I couldn’t bear the pain and discomfort, I said I was going to take some water, while I said to myself that I’d have to fast only on food to save myself from this mess… after all, all join for the fasting. I bought and drank one full bottle water, after which I relaxed on a chair to see if I would get better.
In less than two minutes, it started again, and this time it got worsen. I felt like my intestines were going to cut. I pushed my belly downward with my right hand, and let out a soft moan. The sharp pain became more intensive.

So, I told a colleague about it. She said it could be hookworm. She suggested a certain tablet.
Long story short, I ended up breaking the fast; I ate rice and sauce, and that marked the end of stomachache. I actually didn’t take the tablet, just the food. And it was so unusual. I could stay till noon without having a drop of water nor food. That very day was one of my worst moment at work. Well, just like a colleague suggested it was worm, I didn’t bother much about it. So, I went about my work with an ease.

Later in the evening when I got back home, Mama didn’t forget to ask if I fasted, prayed and read the Bible passage like she had instructed. I was going to tell her the truth but my tongue was quick to lie; it slipped faster than I thought.

“Yes. I did.” I said tersely.
“No. Genevieve, you didn’t,” she gazed around my belly. I guess she noticed my stomach was not flat like she expected.

I quickly retracted my response. “Yes, Mama. You’re right. I didn’t,” I confessed, twisting my fingers shamefully.
“Why? I told you the days are evil. Fast and pray for one day, and you couldn’t,” she paused.

She was utterly disappointed I couldn’t fast at the period I needed to be spiritual. She kept saying this and that, and that really itched my whole being. My siblings could hear her from the living room and that made me feel bad, too. I just leaned on the walls of the room. My eyes fixed at the blue wall clock which ticked continuously; it was few minutes before 7:00 PM

Silence.

“My belly rumbled throughout the morning until I ate before it stopped. I planned to fast, Mama,” I broke the long silence.

“You see, that was the devil trying to deprive you from total deliverance, he is very cunny and only the wise would escape his plots and plans,” Mama said to my discomfort. Does this imply I’m not wise? The rhetorical question I mumbled. Though I didn’t say it to her hearing.

“I'll fast tomorrow,” I said, my legs involuntarily leading towards the door.
“For your own gooood,” Mama said, stressing the last syllable.

I left to the kitchen to see what Christy was making for dinner. Christy was my immediate younger sister. My mother’s replica. She was 19. I was four years older. Now, you know my age.

[Winks]
_____

Days later, I received my first salary as a Housekeeping Manager. It was really huge. That very day, while I was coming back from work, I stopped by at Midwifery junction along Okpanam road. There was a mini market by the left. I went to a nearby POS spot and withdrew twenty thousand naira before walking down the market.

I bought: rice, beans, yam, potatoes, red oil and other foodstuffs. At the end, I was left with 1,950 naira. Everything I bought was worth it. I added two loaves of bread and snacks for my siblings.

On getting home that evening, Mama was all smile when she saw what I brought home. Seeing her in such mood was such a blessing. My every day dream had always been to make her happy. And I was really glad my dream of being a blessing to my family was really manifesting. Mama was happy with the responsible lady I was turning into. I really loved her, but I couldn’t express it with words. She held my wrist in the most lovely manner and prayed for a better days ahead.

“Don’t forget to save my daughter. Remember you’ll someday need money too,” she said. And that really touched me. She really wanted her daughter to succeed. I felt nobody would ever love me like Mama did.

7 days after, Something strange happened. That sudden call of nature which hit unannounced. Yes, the word with two vowel and three consonants; death!
We lost one of the workers; an ex room attendant. Johnson slept and died through the night, according to report we got from his family. It would have been a different case if he had died in the hotel. It was so disheartening and quite unfortunate.

The demise of Johnson so much triggered my emotions. I couldn’t tell Mama about it because Johnson was also one of the workers that got promoted. I knew Mama would pull so much pressure on me, she might even ask me to quit the work, I knew exactly what she could do, and I wasn’t ready to go back to the old bad days. So, I kept the news away from her.

Drastic time they say requires drastic measures. I ran back to my root. Yes, You heard me right. My promotion entirely didn’t come as a result of being hardworking, something else was done before I could get there. Surprised? Well, I was really desperate and needed to upgrade my salary. My plan was to work for one year while I go for Service the following year.

In a quest to make a lot from the hotel work, Cynthia, my very good friend took me to one Spiritual woman who gave me a bracelet that attracts favor and good luck. This, she had used to gain favor from her place of work. (Not a hotel work).
A shocking revelation right? I remember being told about a certain lady who was supposed to be the right choice for the position I eventually occupied. The spiritual mother had revealed this to Cynthia and I. It was after that manipulation I got to believe powers existed and still exists .

Meanwhile, Mama believed her prayers did the wonders when I broke the news about my promotion then. She would be so disappointed at me if she knew I had soiled my hands with such things.

So, when I reached back to Cynthia, she said I shouldn’t panic.
“Johnson’s death has nothing to do with your promotion. It was a mere coincidence. So, relax, you ain’t gonna die,” Cynthia sounded convincingly.

I was not convinced tho. I had to share my recent nightmares with her. The things I had been going through. At the end of the whole talks, we decided to pay Spiritual mother homage.
_____

It was on Friday evening when we arrived at her quarter. A two bedroom apartment along Nnebisi road, Asaba, Delata State. The inside was painted a lighter green. A portrait of women sporting various styles of braids was hung on the wall. Another portrait of herself also relaxed on the floor. Candles of different colors, beads of different colors and shapes, necklaces and other different fetish stuffs I barely knew its name were the things I sighted when Cynthia and I eventually went into see her. We had been on a short queue, patiently waiting for our turn. She should be in her late thirties, perhaps mid thirties.

“Thank your stars that fasting and prayer was not a success,” Spiritual mother said, staring into my eyes. I was really startled. Cynthia gazed at me…our eyes got locked in contact and she quickly averted hers.

“I am a traditionalist and your mother is not one. We’re both of different world. If you must succeed, don’t involve her and her white man’s religion.” She continued. Cynthia and I was just paying rapt attention.
She further cautioned that the bracelet was for me and me alone. Nobody was expected to put it on, not even my siblings and Mama. Cynthia turned to look at my wrist to see if I still wore the bracelet.

To be continued...
©️FrankWriter1

______

The Untold Story continues in the next part as Genevieve revealed how she battled with what seemed like an unending drama.

If you're following, kindly drop a comment.

Do well to share with friends.
Thank you.

Twitter and IG: frankwriter

Facebook Page: FrankWriter1

2 Likes

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
Haakeem:
Why do you take long in dropping episodes.

Nice update's thou!.

Nxt episode pls.

Been busy bro.

Sorry for being late.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Haakeem(m): 6:54pm On Feb 27, 2022
frankwriter:

Been busy bro.
Sorry for being late.
no offence.
Abeg when u go update?
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2022
Nice story i love it and great writeup too.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 2:42pm On Feb 28, 2022
Haakeem:
no offence.

Abeg when u go update?

Tuesday or Wednesday..

God's willing.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 2:42pm On Feb 28, 2022
Chosen44:
Nice story i love it and great writeup too.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Haakeem(m): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2022
frankwriter:

Tuesday or Wednesday..
God's willing.
okay.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 7:31pm On Mar 01, 2022
The final part will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday)

Thank y'all for waiting all these while.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by emmanuelbrown26: 6:49am On Mar 02, 2022
frankwriter:
The final part will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday)

Thank y'all for waiting all these while.
Abeg drop it like its got, no allow ice to enter am. More ink to your pen and more lucozade to your energy

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 4:14pm On Mar 02, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

Abeg drop it like its got, no allow ice to enter am. More ink to your pen and more lucozade to your energy

Thank you, I'm about posting it.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 5:11pm On Mar 02, 2022
The Final Part
___

My heart churned for Mama, having cold-bloodedly massacred her  reputation. The poor woman was really healthy and didn’t deserve that. All for the sake of stopping Ben from texting me. I just hoped nothing deadly eventually happens to her because of the lies I told in expense of money.  I sighed slowly, feeling like both Judas Iscariot and Archimedes rolled in one.

[An Excerpt]

Please, note that this episode contains explicit contents.
I'm sincerely sorry for any inconveniences it might cause.

Cynthia and I eventually left spiritual mother's quarter towards evening. I still had the bracelet on.  What kept ringing on my head was her words of advice: “Don’t do this, don’t do that. Nobody else should wear the bracelet  and the rest."
Sharing the bracelet with a non family member was never a challenge. Mama had always seen it like one of those casual ones I wore. And also, I had always kept it out of reach of my siblings. I wore it mostly whenever I leave the house. Truth be told, the bracelet  actually did wonders. I got lots of favor from different folks that lodged in and out.

One of them was an Hausa man, Abubakar. He was used to lodging in  every two weeks and whenever he was about leaving,  he would give me some money; sometimes,  five thousand naira and other good days, he doubled it. He once jokingly said he would love to marry me as his third wife. Third wife ke?

“I’ll be getting married next year, “ I lied.
“Oh! Wow… he must be a very lucky man,” Abubakar said.
“No… I’m the lucky one,”  I smiled sheepishly.

He seemed unhappy with my response about getting married, but that was none of my business tho. I knew he would have pressed further to see if I’d  succumb to being his third wife if I hadn’t  lied to him. I  can’t even imagine being a second wife, talk more of a third wife. I thought he was going to hide it from me but he was proud to declare he had two wives and six children. So, what else was I supposed to come in and do? Where he came from, it was a norm to marry as many as you can, if my assumptions are right, but he never considered I wasn’t a northerner nor a Muslim. I wondered what made him think I’d accept such offer.

Another set of people we were always faced with were Yahoo boys. It seemed our hotel was their abode. They usually come with their flashy cars and you know this boys are always easy to detect from the way they dress — always carrying small bags filled with newly printed naira notes — mints.
Another thing I noticed too was the girlfriend’s of these Yahoo boys.  I mean  they have this familiar look, like the way they dressed. They were always on either a black tight(underwear) or a bumshort with big polos,  long nails, either iPhone 7plus or 8. Always exposing the countless beads on their waist. Some wear leg chain, oversized slides and fake frontal weavon. 

[Laughs]

I can go on and on to mention how they normally look, but I’m sure the mentioned above would help you identify one in your street.

[Winks]

As a hotel housekeeper, some of my major duties were: ensuring Housekeeping departmental standards are kept., replacing dirty linens and towel, keeping guests rooms in order and mostly,  responding timely to guest’s special requests and miscellaneous.
I wasn’t the only housekeeper, but of all I knew, none received favor like I did.
____

Fast forward to two weeks.  A young man at his mid thirties or so seemed so much interested in me. We met at the hotel room where  he lodged. That night I had gone to replace something and we eventually got talking. He said his name was Benjamin and I told him mine. The following morning  he demanded for my contact which I initially didn’t want to but he did the  magic, his sugarcoated mouth actually did it. We exchanged contact.

I thought he would end up like those guys who would ask for my number, and after chatting for a day or two, would start viewing your stories on WhatsApp.  Ben kept pressuring me.  Texting and calling at every slightest time he noticed I was online. It was getting too much, so I had to caution him. With time we started to know each other.

He kept saying he love me and how he can’t wait to see my face again. His words didn’t  move me a bit. My heart was once fragile  but not again. Tobenna was the monster who  made me a stronger girl after how badly he treated me when I was in the University. 

Damn! Tobe did not only cheated on me, he was always blackmailing me emotionally, always making me say sorry for the things I never did. Boy bullied me emotionally, because he knew  my weakness not until the day I boldly  took that decision to end whatever we shared. He least expected I could do without him but I taught him I could do better without him.

Tobenna was the last person I dated, and he changed my view about relationship. 
Ben didn’t give up on me. He was always proposing his love and how badly he wanted to see me again.

“Can’t you come to our hotel to see me?
“I’m currently not in Asaba.”
“Where are you?”
“Benin, Edo State.”
“For….?”

Part of the WhatsApp conversation between Ben and I.  I didn’t want to continue chatting him. Not because he wasn’t  good looking enough  for my taste. No, I simply didn’t want any random person to jeopardize with feelings and emotion. You might like to say I gave up on love? Maybe.
So, I sorted for a way to stop him from chatting with me, I cooked up a story about me needing  100k for Mama’s  surgery. I couldn’t find anything to use, sadly I used Mama.

“Oh! My God, your mother needs to be operated?”
“Yes. The total money is actually 500k but if you can give us 100k, we would appreciate.”

He didn’t reply for the next ten minutes and then I thought I had won, but shockingly the next text I got from him said he would be able to give us 350k while we sort out the rest. I couldn’t  believe what I read. I had to re-read again and waited to see if he would delete it, maybe he didn’t mean it.

“Are you there?” he sent. My whole being was vibrating. So, this my billing method didn’t work? I pondered.
“Yes. You mean you are going to help us with three hundred and fifty thousand naira?”
“Yes. I can do anything for you.  I love you from the first day I saw you.”
“Like seriously?”
“Yes. I’m real.”

He went on to send a voice note, saying I should send my details  so he could  send 100k first, then the remaining 250k would  come as soon as he arrives Asaba. Could it still be the bracelet doing its wonders? I was totally bewildered.
I sent my account details and waited to see if this dude was actually going to send a whooping  100k to my account  just like that. My eyes were glued to my phone with rapt attention.

In less than five minutes, he sent a screenshot of his debit alert. “Have you seen it?” he texted. I started typing, and what I was about sending was: “No. I’m  yet to receive anything” but while I was about sending the text, my phone beeped.  It was a notification from my bank at the left top of my phone, lo and behold, it was a whooping 100k from Ben. I was bemused. It seemed like my heartbeat  paused for a second before rebooting.

I deleted the initial message and typed: “Wow! Can’t believe what I’m seeing here. Ben, this is huge!”  My heart was beating faster.
He read it and replied with a smiling emoji.
"Don’t worry when I come to Asaba I’ll complete it. My regards to your mom.”

How earth was I not able to resist this? I asked myself.  Little did I knew I was going to set myself up. Like what if he wants to see Mama on arriving Asaba, what would I tell him? I was somehow troubled. 
“You can always come up with something new,” came a second thought countering the first. 

My heart churned for Mama, having cold-bloodedly massacred her  reputation. The poor woman was really healthy and didn’t deserve that. All for the sake of stopping Ben from texting me. I just hoped nothing deadly eventually happens to her because of the lies I told in expense of money.  I sighed slowly, feeling like both Judas Iscariot and Archimedes rolled in one.

Days turned to weeks and the prospect of being close with Ben grew daily   Waking up with his texts and all that weird messages actually made me uncomfortable. Always romantic and spoiling me with words.  

I had to ask him what he did for a living, for him to send such amount of money to me. Ben bragged about owing houses in highbrow area of Asaba, he further made mention of estate management and cryptocurrency as side hustle. 
Ben sounded convincingly and genuinely. A part of me began to fall for him, but the horrible memories I shared with Tobenna wouldn’t let me fall for anyone. It kept on like that till when he finally arrived Asaba.   

We started making plans for our first date. Yes, I had eventually fallen for him. I planned to open up about the money I had collected from him when we meet. I knew he would feel bad but that was the best thing to do before he finds out himself. His plans was to send the remaining balance after our first date.  

I still couldn’t  tell Mama about Ben. I’d  have to wait until I’m certain about few things before sharing with Mama. Besides, she might even ask me to end such “ungodly” relationship. Mama believed the church got a major role to play when it comes to marriage and courtship, than meeting random people and having what she termed “ungodly” relationship.  She might be  right but I really didn’t care. I wanted to do my things my way.

Long story short,  Ben and I fixed a date. It would be in his house. For security reasons, I related with Cynthia. I gave her the detailed location just as Ben sent it. Girlfriend said I should be careful and have fun too. Meanwhile I also did not tell her about the 100k Ben sent. Since I was going to tell him the truth, there was no point telling Cynthia.

Around 3pm on Friday evening, I was in front of his flat dressed on a blue gown that was just below my knees. I was going to knock the second time before he opened the door.

“Finally, you’re here,” he hugged me. I smiled shyly.
“Come in,” he said, leading the way.  

It was a two bedroom flat. The interior design was madddd! Every nook and cranny smelt money and nothing but money. The set of cushion in the living room could cost nothing less than 300k. I’m not trying to exaggerate tho. In one word, I’d say his apartment was cozy.

“Was it hard to locate here?” he broke the silence.
“Erm, not really.  I entered just two Keke,” I replied shortly.
"Have your seat and feel comfortable," he said.

I noticed I couldn’t maintain eye contact with him. He even looked better than the previous day at the hotel. Ben didn’t take long before he started acting romantic while I was calculating how best to tell him Mama was never ill nor had any reason for surgery.

Ben came closer, he couldn’t wait to have me, and before I could say Jack, he plugged his wet lips against mine. He was a very good kisser. He reminded me of  Tobenna, but I quickly distracted my mind;  my mind was fixed with on the image I already have of him and the crazy stuff I planned doing with him. I got smeared in his desire. Over the phone, Ben had been telling me how badly he had wanted to have my boobs all to himself. He said that was his favorite.

When we stopped kissing, he reached for my gown, unzipped it downward. His left hand found my bra, he unhooked it from behind but the bra hanged. I’d  need to remove my two hands from my gown before he would behold my bosom. He couldn’t wait as he kept rushing through my cloth like he would eat me up. His left hand finally found my right hard nipple. He grabbed it, caressed and gently touched the tip with his forefinger while I let out a soft moan. I groaned at the touch of his hands which caressed and fumbled my boobs.  I could feel his long hard shaft struggling between his legs. Ben quickly unbuttoned his vintage shirt with the speed of light. He fling  it on the floor.

I just hope I’m not getting you aroused? Sorry, not actually my motive.

Before he shoved my breast into his mouth, he said something I barely comprehend. I felt it was all part of the love making and moaning. Just the moment my breast got into his mouth,  he threw me off and screamed. Ben was literally jerking.  He stared at me with unease. Our eyes got locked in contact, and boom I saw a red cloth beside him. My heart missed a beat. I jumped down from the sofa, almost naked, just my undies .

“Who are you?” He queried, still weak on the floor.
“What do you mean by who am I?” My mood switched completely. I was boiling inside.

I grabbed my bra and my clothes and stood there with millions of feelings. I gazed at my wrist but I couldn’t find my bracelet anymore. I quickly searched through the floor.  As if he read my mind, he sighted the bracelet before I could see it, and just when I bent to pick it, Ben was quick to grab it before me. I screamed. My head banged like it would pull off.

I managed to wear my clothes while all he did was stare at me. He couldn’t do anything rather than stare angrily.  I guess he was scared of me but I couldn’t  tell why. It was dawn on me Ben wanted to use me to renew his rituals. I grabbed my bag and took off.

My head was banging seriously, I was sweating at the same time. I  managed to enter a Keke when I got to the street. I told the guy to drive me home without stopping to pick any passenger.

“Your money na 1k,” he said.
“I’ll pay. Don’t worry.”
“Are you okay?” He turned to ask when he saw me through the side mirror, shivering.
“Can we go now?” I bellowed angrily.
He quickly ignited his Keke and took off.

___
        When I got home that evening, I met Mama praying loudly in the bedroom.  She was sweating profusely, walking round the room. I started crying. She stooped praying and  turned towards my direction.

“What’s wrong with you? Where have you been?” she queried in one breathe. I asked why she has been praying, and Mama said she saw a revelation about me and I was being butchered by some men on red, so she had to back me up with prayers.
I couldn’t stop crying. My head kept banging. Mama came closer and held me “What is it my daughter? Talk to your mother.” She sat me down on the bed and sat beside me too. I was still shivering, the shock at Ben’s house hasn’t left me. Mama was bewildered.

When finally I was calm, I began to narrate what I termed  “the untold story” to Mama. I told her how Cynthia and I got the bracelet which literally was behind all my success. Mama was shouting “Blood of Jesus” as I went on to narrate everything to her. Tears already trickled down her cheeks and that made me cry more. The thought that I was almost close to my grave enveloped her. I embraced her firmly and we cried, breathing heavily. 

The following day, Mama took me to church for total deliverance. The pastor counselled me before he began prayer session with some prayer warriors. After the prayer session, he said I’d have to withdraw the 100k and either use it for alms or visit the orphanage. He warned me not to spend anything less than the exact amount, and by that means I’d  be totally free.

As for the hotel work, I left by the end of the month. I didn’t wait to be demoted which I dreaded might likely happen. That was basically not the major reason I quitted. I left because of my mental health, Mama wanted me to quit too. So, I went back to the computer guy and got registered for the training.  

Benjamin? He later chatted me up trying to mince words,  and how he didn’t intend doing that with me, he was only running out of time and I happened to be the available person. He even went ahead to ask where I got the bracelet. After reading his shameless text, I blocked him on all platforms we shared.

Cynthia? She refused to heed my advice, saying my mother had also brainwashed me with religion. All my efforts to win her was futile. She said I should let her be since I prefer suffering and poverty.

Well, I have chosen the light and no more room for darkness. As I write to you, I’m currently a Corp member serving in Benue state. A certified  computer literate and virtual assistant. And I’m hopeful the future is bright.

Mama and my siblings are doing pretty good. I was able to set up a big provision shop for her before I left Asaba. I’m forever grateful to Mama for being the best mother ever! In my next world, if at all there’s one, I’d love to have you as my Mama. If not her, my story would have been a tragic one.

Gone with the wind —

______

©️All right reserved
Franklin Chinonso Okoligan

I enjoyed writing this story and I hope you enjoyed reading it too.

If this story resonates with you, drop a comment.

Twitter and IG: frankwriter1

Let's connect on Facebook for more stories...
Like and follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer

©️FrankWriter1

2 Likes

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Haakeem(m): 7:25pm On Mar 02, 2022
Wow, op is this a real life story?

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by emmanuelbrown26: 8:26am On Mar 03, 2022
Well well, life is damn rough and tough outa their, u gat to keep your head up
Nice story u got baby girl,

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 8:30pm On Mar 03, 2022
Haakeem:
Wow, op is this a real life story?

Nope. It's fictional.
Glad you enjoyed this piece.

Thank you for engaging.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by MoneyGoDrop: 12:54pm On Mar 04, 2022
Really nice story, please mention me, if you start another one. I really found it interesting but i still don't know why you went back to that white man's religion, i know i wouldn't.

Ps: what's gan doing in okoli?

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by Odoogu(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2022
Good story with better morals.

Hope to read more from you.

1 Like

Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 12:04am On Mar 05, 2022
Odoogu:
Good story with better morals.

Hope to read more from you.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by frankwriter(m): 12:11am On Mar 05, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Really nice story, please mention me, if you start another one. I really found it interesting but i still don't know why you went back to that white man's religion, i know i wouldn't.

Ps: what's gan doing in okoli?

Lol... White man's religion? Sure. She ought to go back to from the source that saved her.

Now, to your question concerning my name. I'll explain and I hope you understand (you should if you're Igbo)

Back then, Okoli was our surname and it was very common. So, there was a letter which my great great grandfather should have received, but because he shared the same name with someone else, his letter was given to someone else, and that was how we came about the name, "Okoli ga ano" which means "Okoli will live long." The O was removed later on and that was how the surname came.

It's a unique surname. We don't share it with anyone.

I hope you understand
Re: The Untold Story (I Almost Died) by MoneyGoDrop: 4:05am On Mar 05, 2022
frankwriter

Lol... White man's religion? Sure. She ought to go back to from the source that saved her.

Now, to your question concerning my name. I'll explain and I hope you understand (you should if you're Igbo)

Back then, Okoli was our surname and it was very common. So, there was a letter which my great great grandfather should have received, but because he shared the same name with someone else, his letter was given to someone else, and that was how we came about the name, "Okoli ga ano" which means "Okoli will live long." The O was removed later on and that was how the surname came.

It's a unique surname. We don't share it with anyone.

I hope you understand

Frankwriter, from your write up, i will say that it was the bracelet that saved her and not her mother's prayers. I mean the guy felt the power attached to it that's why he seized it and kept asking her who she was. If it's not too much information, i will like to visit the traditionalist that gave her the bracelet, so i can get mine and don't tell me it's fictional.

I'm igbo and thanks for telling me how the name came about. My family went through the same modification when my grandfather worked with the early missionaries as my village was the second community that those missionaries entered in Igboland though I'mthinking of changingit back to its originalspelling when i have my own family. With you i believe Okoli gano gide. Peace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dear Poetry / 2014/2015 Niger Delta University (NDU) Admission List / STREET 207

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.