Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku (41586 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Abiola And Tinubu On A Congratulatory Visit To Abacha In 1993 / Grace Mugabe Cries To Obasanjo At Burial Of Robert Mugabe "Your Friend Is Gone" / President Buhari Receives A Congratulatory Visit From Traditional Rulers Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by slimmoney(m): 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2022
imagine been confined to a particular area till u die, nawa o.
Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by TAO11(f): 5:31am On Mar 06, 2022
gaddafe:
It's not about 2000s kids. It's true the Oba of Benin don't visit people. You can read up on this in the official Edo website. This new Oba is just changing some ancient policies just like his father did. Don't be surprised when you see the obas teeth laughing which is also an abomination.
1st screenshot:
Ọmọ-n-ọba Ovoranmwen at Calabar; when he was banished there.

2nd screenshot:
Ọmọ-n-ọba Akenzua-II at Ifẹ; when he newly became Benin king.

3rd screenshot:
Ọmọ-n-ọba Akenzua-II at the ?Airport; when he and others welcomed the white lady.
In sum, it didn’t begin with Ọmọ-n-ọba Erediauwa nor with his son the present Ọmọ-n-ọba Ewuare-II.

Your Ọmọ-n-ọbas have always been going outside of Benin since time immemorial.

Do you know that Ọmọ-n-ọba Ehengbuda drowned in the Atlantic Ocean in the Lagos area?

Cheers.
Cc: Raymond0008

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by samuk: 1:06pm On Mar 06, 2022
TAO11:

1st screenshot: Ọmọ-n-ọba Ovoranmwen at Calabar; when he was banished there.

2nd screenshot: Ọmọ-n-ọba Akenzua-II at Ifẹ; when he just became Benin king.

3rd screenshot: Ọmọ-n-ọba Akenzua-II at the Airport; when he and others welcomed the white lady.
In sum, it didn’t begin with Ọmọ-n-ọba Erediauwa nor with his son the present Ọmọ-n-ọba Ewuare-II.

Your Ọmọ-n-ọbas have always been going outside of Benin since time immemorial.

Do you know that Ọmọ-n-ọba Ehengbuda drowned in the Lagos area in the Atlantic Ocean?

Cheers.
Cc: Raymond0008

I believe what the guys are saying is that Oba of Benin doesn't normally visit individuals such as Obasanjo, then again, it could be argued that a two time president of a country (both as military head of state and civilian president) is not your regular individual.

It will be difficult to find examples of the Oba of Benin visiting individuals outside of performing traditional rites.

It's not true that the Oba of Benin doesn't leave his palace, past Obas lead the Benin army into the battle fields until it was stopped due to an incident....

Past Benin Oba such has Ehengbuda actually had a palace/court or what the Europeans referred to in Benin history as the king's house in garrison towns such as Lagos and others places dating back to the 1500s and possibly earlier.

I am not sure if there are historic records of oba of benin visiting any yoruba oba or personality before the fall of Benin empire in 1897.

Benin culture and traditions have been changing with time since 1897.

You can't compare this singular visit to a personality of a two time president to the numerous daily, weekly visits of yoruba obas.

Visits of oba of Benin to individuals are not common place, hence this debate, I will like to see similar examples of such visits in the last 100 years.
Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by naija4life247: 1:26pm On Mar 06, 2022
thorpido:
God dash this man long life.

E dey pain me. This life no balance at all. Such an evil man living like he is not going to die. But, whom God hath blessed, no man can curse.
Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by OVB123: 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2022
Raymond0008:
Where are the 2000s kid that says Oba of Benin don’t visit people! You guys don’t know politics fah.
U are d one behaving like a kid. The fact that they are saying that "oba no dey go transfer" does not mean that he doesn`t move around. This is what we called post coronation visit and it is expected that every traditional rulers in Nigeria will do thesame, immediatelly after coronation.
Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by TAO11(f): 5:49pm On Mar 06, 2022
samuk:
I believe what the guys are saying is that Oba of Benin doesn't normally visit individuals such as Obasanjo, then again, it could be argued that a two time president of a country (both as military head of state and civilian president) is not your regular individual.

It will be difficult to find examples of the Oba of Benin visiting individuals outside of performing traditional rites.

It's not true that the Oba of Benin doesn't leave his palace, past Obas lead the Benin army into the battle fields until it was stopped due to an incident....

Past Benin Oba such has Ehengbuda actually had a palace/court or what the Europeans referred to in Benin history as the king's house in garrison towns such as Lagos and others places dating back to the 1500s and possibly earlier.

I am not sure if there are historic records of oba of benin visiting any yoruba oba or personality before the fall of Benin empire in 1897.

Benin culture and traditions have been changing with time since 1897.

You can't compare this singular visit to a personality of a two time president to the numerous daily, weekly visits of yoruba obas.

Visits of oba of Benin to individuals are not common place, hence this debate, I will like to see similar examples of such visits in the last 100 years.
Regular Bini People: Our king doesn’t step out of his palace.

Samuk: No, he sometimes leaves his palace for some visitations.

Me: Stop pretending like I am one of your Bini people who say he doesn’t step out of his palace.

Go iron out your contradictions with your Bini people.

+ I also sometimes leave my house for visitations, duh

And yes, I am aware that a colony of Bini traders in the 1500s came to trade & settle on Èkó island.

I am aware that a piece of the Eko island was allotted to them by the landowners; after their permission to trade & settle was granted — just as it was granted to other immigrant groups who came for same reason.

I’m aware that this resident population of Bini traders lived in peace & harmony until around the turn of the 1500s when this Bini group began to take up arms to fight against another Bini group in the region.

For the first time since their settling there, their trade post now doubled as a “garrison” — a garrison set up to attack another Bini trading group around the coast.

In any case, your kings like other kings anywhere step out of their palaces/towns — of course except the Ifẹ kings of old who never did until in the year 1903.

Cheers.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by nisai: 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2022
TAO11:

Me: Stop pretending like I am one of your Bini people who say he doesn’t step out of his palace.

And yes, I am aware that a colony of Bini traders in the 1500s came to trade & settle on Èkó island.

I am aware that a piece of the Eko island was allotted to them by the landowners; after their permission to trade & settle was granted — just as it was granted to other immigrant groups who came for same reason.

I’m aware that this resident population of Bini traders lived in peace & harmony until around the turn of the 1500s when this Bini group began to take up arms to fight against another Bini group in the region.

For the first time since their settling there, their trade post now doubled as a “garrison” — a garrison set up to attack another Bini trading group around the coast.

In any case, your kings like other kings anywhere step out of their palaces/towns — of course except the Ifẹ kings of old who never did until in the year 1903.

Cheers.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by samuk: 9:11pm On Mar 06, 2022
TAO11:

Cheers.

You definitely have issues with the English language. Some means more than one, I stated that it will be difficult to have examples of the oba of Benin visiting private individuals outside of performing traditional rites and I also stated that it's so rare that there are not many examples in the last 100 years.

Home work for you.

Questions:

1. Research and tell us the numbers of times chief Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin was able to get visitations from the various Oba of Benin he served starting from Oba Akenzua II, Oba Erediawa and the current one, Oba Ewuare ll.

2. Research and tell us how many times the Ooni, Alaafin and several other yoruba Obas have visited the Esama of Benin.

Show us just 5 examples of such private visits in the last 100 years, I will Show you multiple photos of the Ooni eating party rice in party.

The Alake of Egba land did mentioned that the Oba of Benin hardly leaves his abode and it was also interesting how the Alake framed the oba of Benin relationship with Yoruba obas through Oranmiyan. He stated that Oranmiyan first started in Benin before moving to Oyo.....all the yoruba usual stories before that was skipped.

Look at how yoruba people are excited that the oba of Benin visited a two time president, a visitation that have no other precedence in the last 100 years. Unfortunately there is nothing you guys can do with this. It doesn't score you extra points

Benin descendant are still the leading traditional rulers of Lagos. They have formed a distinct identity for themselves just like their counterparts in the warri royalty and others places across Nigeria.

The Benin descendants of Eko Islands were the landlords who others such as the Aworis paid royalties to. The Erelu of Lagos, chief Dosunmu have already settled this part of Lagos history.

Benin people ‘owned’ Lagos, Aworis paid royalties to them —Erelu Abiola Dosunmu - Vanguard News - https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/12/benin-people-owned-lagos-aworis-paid-royalties-erelu-abiola-dosunmu/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyELCBM6ORQ

What Ife had in the past was a chief priest/spiritual leader, the Ooni was the religious chief of Ifa, not king. The Alaafin of Oyo was the king of yoruba people of old.

Hugh Clapperton 1826 accounts.....

1. "In the evening we had a visit from the king (Alaafin of Oyo), to thank me for the presents I had given him, and again to assure me of being welcolme; said that he wanted nothing, unless it was something that would speedily cause the submission of the rebels. He said that he had sent to his friend the king of Benin for troops to assist him in the war."

- Hugh Clapperton, Journal of a Second Expedition Into the Interior of Africa, from the Bight of Benin to Soccatoo

2. "The kingdom of Benin was so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told a British governor that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its king." - Asibong Akpan Okon, The evolution of self-government of Nigeria (1955), p. 36

Asibong Okon was referring to this:

"This Kingdom of Benin was at one time so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told me that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its King." - United Empire, Volume 2 (1911), p. 620

https://books.google.com/books?newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&id=AE45AQAAMAAJ&dq=predecessors+pay+tribute

This is the Lagos under Benin the Europeans visited in 1603.

In 1603, Andreas Joshua Ulsheimer, a German surgeon, aboard a Dutch merchant ship, visited Lagos. According to his accounts, Lagos was a large frontier town surrounded by a strong fence and inhabited by "none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner."

The Lagos visited by Ulsheimer and his trading colleagues nearly four centuries ago was in many ways highly developed. Each day its four commanders came together as a court and each day two envoys were dispatched to take decisions back to their ruler in Benin. To do so, Ulsheimer wrote, was a common practice in all towns under the suzerainty of Benin…

--- "Josua Ulsheimer" cited in R. Smith, Kingdoms of the Yoruba (1969), p.74.

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by TAO11(f): 10:36pm On Mar 06, 2022
samuk:
[s]You definitely have issues with the English language. Some means more than one, I stated that it will be difficult to have examples of the oba of Benin visiting private individuals outside of performing traditional rites and I also stated that it's so rare that there are not many examples in the last 100 years.

Home work for you.

Questions:

1. Research and tell us the numbers of times chief Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin was able to get visitations from the various Oba of Benin he served starting from Oba Akenzua II, Oba Erediawa and the current one, Oba Ewuare ll.

2. Research and tell us how many times the Ooni, Alaafin and several other yoruba Obas have visited the Esama of Benin.

Show us just 5 examples of such private visits in the last 100 years, I will Show you multiple photos of the Ooni eating party rice in party.

The Alake of Egba land did mentioned that the Oba of Benin hardly leaves his abode and it was also interesting how the Alake framed the oba of Benin relationship with Yoruba obas through Oranmiyan. He stated that Oranmiyan first started in Benin before moving to Oyo.....all the yoruba usual stories before that was shipped.

Look at how yoruba people are excited that the oba of Benin visited a two time president, a visitation that have no other precedence in the last 100 years. Unfortunately there is nothing you guys can do with this. It doesn't score you extra points

Benin descendant are still the leading traditional rulers of Lagos. They have formed a distinct identity for themselves just like their counterparts in the warri royalty and others across Nigeria.

What Ife had in the past was a chief priest/spiritual leader not king. The Alaafin of Oyo was the king of yoruba people of old.[/s]
Listen little boy, I’m not sure why you feel agitated and bruised.

I know however that your people are known to often say that your ọbas never leave their palace/town.

Whatever that means (i.e. that he is anti-social; under restraining order; or under solitary confinement) isn’t my business.

My point is simply that, it is false that he never leaves his palace/town.

You seem to agree with me on this, yet you somehow feel disgruntled that I mentioned it. Lol.

Have you thought of channeling your frustration and bitterness towards your people who flat-out thinks he never leaves the palace/town? Yes your own people who disagree with you — not me.

Having said that, nobody cares how many times your kings managed to leave their palace/town.

You seem to be basking in the delusion that the lower the number of visits by a king, the greater the king.

I’m sorry to break it to you that:
(1) That’s a sick, twisted, ridiculous and laughable one

(2) If you’re to be consistent with this delusions, then innumerable kings (and chiefs) in Nigeria are greater than your Ọmọ-n-ọba. Don’t you agree?
———
Eko kings — the Elekos — have connections with Bini only via Ado’s mother. Ado’s father, Ashipa is Yorùbá.

Moreover, the present King of Eko (Ọba Akiolu) states on camera in a Channels TV interview that the Benin has no place in the ownership of Lagos/Eko.

As per your screenshot, refer to this user’s tweet:

https:///theolabola/status/1749451118868885910?s=46&t=KIgD1juYIiQhWLaaCuzgTA

As per your comparison of the Ooni and the Alaafin, a picture they say speaks a thousand words. Thus, see the 1st attachment below.

Also, refer to to the 2nd attachment below to see the relative position of the Ooni and Alaafin. This was from the year 1903.
~ The Editor, “Native Crowns,” Journal of the Royal African Society, Vol. 2, No. 7 (Apr., 1903), p. 312.

Cheers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by TAO11(f): 10:56pm On Mar 06, 2022
As expected, you later on copied & pasted in one of your old debunked talking points.

Not to worry, it shall be debunked here too and more readers will be aware of your humiliations.

Here you go:
samuk:

Hugh Clapperton 1826 accounts.....
[/b]1. "In the evening we had a visit from the king (Alaafin of Oyo), to thank me for the presents I had given him, and again to assure me of being welcolme; said that he wanted nothing, unless it was something that would speedily cause the submission of the rebels. [b]He said that he had sent to his friend the king of Benin for troops to assist him in the war."

- Hugh Clapperton, Journal of a Second Expedition Into the Interior of Africa, from the Bight of Benin to Soccatoo
https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/15#109491342

https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/15#109491590

2. "The kingdom of Benin was so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told a British governor that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its king." - Asibong Akpan Okon, The evolution of self-government of Nigeria (1955), p. 36

Asibong Okon was referring to this:

"This Kingdom of Benin was at one time so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told me that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its King." - United Empire, Volume 2 (1911), p. 620

https://books.google.com/books?newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&id=AE45AQAAMAAJ&dq=predecessors+pay+tribute
https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/15#109491602

This is the Lagos under Benin the Europeans visited in 1603.

In 1603, Andreas Joshua Ulsheimer, a German surgeon, aboard a Dutch merchant ship, visited Lagos. According to his accounts, Lagos was a large frontier town surrounded by a strong fence and inhabited by "none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner."

The Lagos visited by Ulsheimer and his trading colleagues nearly four centuries ago was in many ways highly developed. Each day its four commanders came together as a court and each day two envoys were dispatched to take decisions back to their ruler in Benin. To do so, Ulsheimer wrote, was a common practice in all towns under the suzerainty of Benin…

--- "Josua Ulsheimer" cited in R. Smith, Kingdoms of the Yoruba (1969), p.74.
https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/15#109493012

Debunked! Kisses kiss

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by christistruth01: 6:27pm On Mar 08, 2022
CC Samuk

Your Case is easy

Ok listen to the Oba of Lagos Himself

At 25 mins of the Video below what exactly did the oba of lagos mean when he Said
"i am a yoruba monarch" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0IK0SL9s0&t=1740s

For the one thousandth time What did Oba of lagos mean when he himself told you with his own mouth at 5.45 Minutes "Benin are not the owners of lagos”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno
Link will take you to the video

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo At 85: Oba Of Benin Pays Congratulatory Visit To Ex President In Abeoku by Rockandroll(m): 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2022
85 year old can ride Keke while 69 year old cannot hold paper.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Monitoring Election In Kenya (photos) / Peter Obi Posts Wrong Picture As Prof Saheed Aderinto, Deletes His Tweet / We’ve Located Chibok Girls In Sambisa Forest And Going For Them - Nigeria Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.