Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister (213 Views)

Muslim Allows Pastor Sleep In A Mosque As Christians Refused Him Accommodation / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? / Bishop Oyedepo: "Self Defence Is Entrenched In The Constitution" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by IME1: 12:11pm On Feb 25, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/6976967/nigerias-constitution-allows-muslim-women#110059401

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, says Nigeria’s constitution allows Muslim women to wear hijab in line with the teachings of their faith.

He noted that all citizens are allowed to practise their religions as long as no harm or inconvenience is caused to other people.

He spoke at the National Mosque, Abuja, at a public lecture organised by the Coalition of Nigerian Muslim Women as part of activities marking this year’s World Hijab Day.

Adamu, represented by Hajiya Sidikat Shomope of the Social Mobilisation Department, Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), said it was unfortunate that the controversy over the wearing of hijab in the country had gone down to the school level and generated needless clashes.

There was violence on Thursday at the Baptist High School, Ijagbo in Oyun Local Government of Kwara State, leading to the killing of Habeeb Idris, a Muslim student of the school, when a rally by the Muslim students was reportedly disrupted by hoodlums and security agents.

The minister said: “The wearing of hijab by Muslim women is a Sunna as recommended in the Holy Qur’an (Q 33 V 59).”

According to him, there is a lot the country can gain by dialoguing on matters of religious differences rather than resort to violence.

“Our children will remain citizens of Nigeria irrespective of their faith. They will live and interact in the world outside school where no boundary exists between the religions.

“We should understand that the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria guarantees freedom of religion to all citizens. This, by implication, means that all citizens are allowed to practice their religions according to the teachings of their faith as long as no harm or inconvenience is caused to other people.”

He appealed to all traditional, religions and community leaders to use their offices to douse tension so that Nigerians could all live in peace, harmony and tolerance.

Adamu also called on parents and school teachers “to ensure that in both words and actions, they present the best model to our children to emulate.”

Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Electoral Matters, Aisha Duku; Hajiya Maryam Bukar Abba; Deputy Vice Chancellor, Administration, Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Prof. Saadatu Hassan Liman; Prof. Rafatu Abdulhamid of the University of Abuja and the FOMWAN National Ameerah, Hajiya Rafat Sanni, asked hijab-wearing Muslim women to ensure that while the hijab covers their physical appearance, the essence on their lives and behaviours are also prioritised.

The wife of former Vice President Namadi Sambo, Hajiya Amina, said: “We are more determined to sensitize and promote this Islamic identity and culture without being intimidated.

Director, Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), Prof. Ishaq Akintola, who spoke on ‘The Hijab as a Metaphor of Our National Aspiration’, noted that it is the responsibility of everyone, especially government at all levels, to ensure that the rights of all female Muslims are protected to adorn hijab in public

Original post was on the Muslim thread and I am not a Muslim so I'm barred from commenting until and unless in a matter of seconds convert to Islam by clicking yes without any conviction but just to make a point.

Well Seun, since you have your hands tied and ears with headphones let me suggest to all non-Muslims that you can make your comments by creating your own Reply threads and invite other non-Muslims to discuss objectively with you.
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by IME1: 12:14pm On Feb 25, 2022
From an anonymous contributor.

THANKS KEEP THEM COMING
I'll surely post them if you don't want your moniker to show on the thread.
But mind you comments here must be civil, unbiased and true.

Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister

I'll do my best not to mention location, name or be personal because I'm a Christian. I am truthful and experienced and I way issues objectively whether or not it's my faith or blood relation or friend.

I have experienced religious bias from mostly Muslims and also some denominational Christians.
For denominational Christians my sister wanted a job in an hospital but wasn't given because she was no longer in their faith but the rest of us are. That was bad. She later got in another faith based hospital that she also doesn't belong to their church.
A denominational Christian once refused to do my hair because I wasn't in their faith, even when I offered money.
A denominational Christian refused me entering their church because of trousers. A decent trouser suit for a wedding!

Note that there are certain denominational Christians who insist on hair covering and go about with covered hair besides when they are in church. I'm not talking about the 'habit' worn by sisters.

For Muslims, hmm
1. I looked for accommodation and all I was told was that they don't give their rooms to Christians. They were specific. They didn't care or even mind if I was Ifa or an atheist (God forbid).
2. While transiting through a city we stopped to use toilet and I asked a woman where I could ease myself all she asked was if I were Muslim or Christian. I gladly said Christian and she showed me a ramshackle place where even my goats would frown at. No bush around I had to use it. But the one for the Muslims had tiles and running water.
3. Job, education, supervisor, where to sit in a public transport, to cover hair on the street, the location of the few churches available, buying land to build a church and many other instances have received bias and double standard from Muslims. Christians can't go to some parts of Saudi and I think Medina but such doesn't apply to Muslims in any location on earth.

But they want to marry a female so they have gained another member and have her children follow their faith.

Alcohol - I don't drink alcohol nor would I miss it if it's banned. But I'll pity bakers who need it for preservation and pharmacists who use it to make drugs, or local herbalists who use it with roots, or some denominational Christians who use it for their religious activities, or those who use it for occasions like weddings. So alcohol cannot be attacked by Muslims because it is not allowed by shariah.
21 days fasting was done by some denominational Christians recently but they didn't force non-members from participating. Some denominational Christians abhor alcohol even up to wedding ceremonies and cakes, but they don't force non-members from anchoring also.
Muslims in Kano and other shariah states why extend hatred for alcohol on people who are not Muslims? Does it mean that as Muslims wear hijab, marry early, pray 5 times and do sadat that non Muslims in Kano and others must comply?
I remember sucking orange one day around 2pm during Muslim fasting and the very man who sold it to me was asking why I was sucking it at that time? I didn't wear anything that suggested I was a Muslim so I was surprised at the question. Or was I to fast by association?

Hijab - when I taught briefly in a secular school, I never cared who wore hijab, I don't see bias. You wear hijab, habit, tie tortoise, wear red bandanna, draw lines with white chalk or do lali I don't care or notice. I will only inquire on your conviction and ask if you're an attention seeker or a blind bandwagon follower? I don't wear anything religious outwardly so people won't know my faith or where I attend. Not even car sticker or door sticker or anything on my inner rearview mirror in my car. So if hijab can be worn in schools especially Muslim schools or public schools no wahala, but in a private and faith based school where they have it in their prospectus you can't force them.
Muslims I'm sorry but why the insistence on hijab and not full covering to the ankle, socks, gloves and even buka (forgive my spelling if it's wrong)?
I see Muslim girls with hijab that ends on their shoulders and underneath are tight jeans trousers, torn jeans, mini skirts, transparent wrappers, lace gowns and funny immodest stuffs below the shoulders? Is hijab not for modesty?
Christians you make exposing your hair and freedom to dress a reason for non1Christians to misjudged and ridicule the faith. Even in church. Modesty is a key part of Christianity- boys and girls. I sat near guys in the church I attended last Sunday who had tattoos, cortex on their finger nails, dreads and others around town wear female clothing and artificial pink lips as in why? The females are worse because they have more of their bodies that are attractive. Christian girl you wear see through clothes, blue hair, claws for fingernails, bump shots on the street to buy noodles, ankle chain and waist chains and others. Why? Grannies and babies don't do this and they are living and breathing. You won't die or be less attractive when you dress modestly.

ASUU - Adamu Adamu you don't know that schools are on strike all over the nation but you know what is happening at Ijagbo? Strike is affecting me and it's not funny. But a Baptist school is painingthe Minister more. Not minister of state oh! Is he an educationist?

Models for others to emulate is what the woman who represented the minister said, so Christians pupils and students who open hair are doing wrong? That means those our African plaitings and beautiful cornrows known among little children is wrong, irreligious, immodest and sinful? My baby girl in Pry 5 and her sister in JSS 2 should as well go on low cut as their mother did way back then.

Also - He noted that all citizens are allowed to practise their religions as long as no harm or inconvenience is caused to other people.
Christians in the north and many other places where Islam wants to dominate are not allowed to wear skirts in primary or secondary schools. They wear trousers and compulsorily cover their hair.

I dedicate this piece to Leah Sharibu
(The only one they didn't kill but left to conquer her virginity, resolve, faith, deprive her freedom and education. The only one not released because of her faith. The only one who's not an issue because she's a Christian. The only one they didn't release baboons and dogs to rescue her because she's a Christian)
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by IME1: 12:16pm On Feb 25, 2022
Thanks thanks a lot
Imaima1 from the original thread

Remember we only want equity and true peace not confrontation or insults

You Muslims should be content with your own things. You built your schools, be content with them. You can as well wear hijab and the long robe in your schools. You can even teach the Qur'an instead of regular school syllabus.

But no, you must try to covert and dominate what belongs to Christians. Focus and building better standards of schools and send your children there. Don't always constitute nuisances in Christian schools.
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by IME1: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2022
Thanks hunknall you don't have to accept what Seun and his goons put there they don't care for traffic but live in fear not caution. If not why stifle or block comments that can make your thread run into more pages because you put such clause. Seun mind you, if it were the other way around, I won't click yes either to any declaration to any church denomination, even if it's mine. Faith is a matter of conviction not force sir Seun. You're trying to avoid your site from being raved down by extremists like the French guy with his online news. But irrespective of trouble makers who'd want to speak any how to Muslims (which is absolutely wrong) your rule 2 should suffice now.

I had to accept that I'm a kusilm just to comment. Just see imagine the nonesense.

If Muslims can make Sharia law in their state then why can Christians make their own laws in their school..

This is a psychologic and ideological war.
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by IME1: 12:35pm On Feb 25, 2022
Dear Funnyandviral let's not be petty, depravity in schools where teachers sleep with their students has nothing to do with faith. It happens in every part and by every religious person. Won't it be coarse to bring in religion what happened to little Hanifa? The whole country came togtehr as one to condemn the act. We dont care that it was done by a Muslic cleric in a religious school.
So a clergyman rapes boys and you conclude it's only one religion.
A corps member sleeps with his student he must be from the other religion.
A church goer or invited guest wears mini skirt and automatically represents all Christians.
No sir we don't think Muslims' actions are biblical. The ogun worshipper won't lie on oath doesn't mean he's saying the truth based on the Bible. The atheists won't kill their neighbour because the Bible said so. So please if you are a Muslim don't advice your practises to the holy Book of Christians. A whole chapter of your book is dedicated to Mariam doesn't mean we'd need to read it to know about Mary. Your book urges praying 5 times doesn't mean we have to pray 3 times like Daniel did in the Bible. You dont make reference to Torah or the sacred books of Hinduism and Buddhism so why the Christian Bible? And you say Christians are hypocrites and pretenders? I think the mention of Christ and Christians ignite something even you can't explain... Maybe it's the dynamic in it, cause I don't see mention, refer to or discuss Amadioha and Olokun

You guys are the ones always pained, the Qur'an said it, whenever you see a true Muslim, we see satanic pains on your faces. What's the big deal in covering your hair, very simple stuff, but devil doesn't like it. Same school where girls turn their school uniform to miniskirts, nobody complains, even teacher will be sleeping with those students, but ordinary covering of hair, you guys will rather complain. Can you swear students of those school don't have sex, they even have sex with teachers.

You guys complain when Muslims cover their whole body, you shout hypocrite, but a Christain will wear mini skirt to church you say nothing.

That's why I said Christains do pretend they don't support covering of hair, I've never seen a Reverend sisters hair, is such holiness limited to them ONLY, you pretend as if you support drinking alcohol and smoking, you pretend as if wearing tight and sexy dress is biblical even your pastors don't complain, but deep down, you know all this things Muslims are doing is biblical
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by Funnyandviral: 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2022
IME1:
Dear Funnyandviral let's not be petty, depravity in schools where teachers sleep with their students has nothing to do with faith. It happens in every part and by every religious person. Won't it be coarse to bring in religion what happened to little Hanifa? The whole country came togtehr as one to condemn the act. We dont care that it was done by a Muslic cleric in a religious school.
So a clergyman rapes boys and you conclude it's only one religion.
A corps member sleeps with his student he must be from the other religion.
A church goer or invited guest wears mini skirt and automatically represents all Christians.
No sir we don't think Muslims' actions are biblical. The ogun worshipper won't lie on oath doesn't mean he's saying the truth based on the Bible. The atheists won't kill their neighbour because the Bible said so. So please if you are a Muslim don't advice your practises to the holy Book of Christians. A whole chapter of your book is dedicated to Mariam doesn't mean we'd need to read it to know about Mary. Your book urges praying 5 times doesn't mean we have to pray 3 times like Daniel did in the Bible. You dont make reference to Torah or the sacred books of Hinduism and Buddhism so why the Christian Bible? And you say Christians are hypocrites and pretenders? I think the mention of Christ and Christians ignite something even you can't explain... Maybe it's the dynamic in it, cause I don't see mention, refer to or discuss Amadioha and Olokun

This is a Nigerian Muslim-Christain discussion, so you expect me to talk about Buddhist in india.

All I'm saying is stop making a big deal out of covering our hair, as if we've killed someone. Worse is happening in school, but they rather fight Muslims for covering ordinary hair. What's the big deal in getting like a yard of cloth to cover MY hair. You see professor tearing someone's hijab.

If you can't complain about students wearing miniskirts, the lecturer forcing students to wear bra, or other things that I've complained before, then don't disturb me about what I put on my head, period.
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by Nolongthing88(m): 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2022
If HIJAB wearing is constitutional, why is it that in the military, the police and paramilitary formations are not making use of it?
Nigerians will always interprete the constitution upside down. Adamu Adamu is hijab wearing aconstitutional right in schools?
Re: Re: Nigeria’s Constitution Allows Muslim Women To Wear Hijab – Minister by ImaIma1(f): 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2022
IME1:
Thanks thanks a lot
Imaima1 from the original thread

Remember we only want equity and true peace not confrontation or insults

Apologies

(1) (Reply)

Happy 80th Birthday To Pastor E.A. Adeboye / Anglican Priest Resigns, Accuses Church Of Taking His Wife / What Can We (christians) Do To Stop Fornication Among Christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.