Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War (42556 Views)

Lives In A Suitcase: The Refugees Fleeing The Russia-Ukraine War (Pictures) / Russia - Ukraine War In Pictures, From The Frontlines (Photos) / Russia - Ukraine War Tension: Live Updates (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by lalasticlala(m): 2:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
Lolade Lawal’s life has been turned upside down in a way she never imagined.

The third-year medical student from Nigeria is coming to terms with the effects of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine that started last week.

“It is scary, very scary. I’m very worried. People are running for their lives. We are hiding in groups so we can keep an eye on each other,” Lawal told Al Jazeera over the phone as she sheltered with other students at a safe bunker in the northeastern city of Sumy.

Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered what he said was a “special military operation” against Ukraine on Thursday. A full-scale invasion followed, with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy declaring martial law, saying his country would defend itself.

On Saturday, fighting reached the streets of Ukraine’s capital Kyiv as Russian troops pressed ahead.

According to the US military, Russia now has at least 50 percent of its estimated 150,000-strong invasion forces in Ukraine.

The conflict has so far killed more than 200 civilians, including three children. Nearly 1,100 have been injured in the conflict, including 33 children, according to Ukraine’s health ministry.

The United Nations estimates more than 100,000 people have been displaced within the country since the conflict started.

“There’s no escape. Trains have stopped working. Most supermarkets are closed and those that are opened are running very low on food stocks. ATMs are not working and everyone is desperately looking for money,” Lawal said, as sirens went off in the background.

There are no official figures on the number of African students currently studying in Ukraine but Lawal said “there are hundreds of us in our city”.

“At my university, there are about 100 Nigerian students. I’m sheltering with some of them,” Lawal added.

Some students have managed to cross the border into Poland.

“I live in Kyiv. I have been living here since March last year,” Somto Orah, a student at State University of Telecommunications in Kyiv, told Al Jazeera.

“We have received no support from any government authorities. The school only gave us bomb shelter to hide when the air raid siren is on. The sirens came on and off for about five times yesterday before I left,” Orah, a Nigerian national, added.

“There is little food. I couldn’t access cash for two days now. Every ATM on the road has no cash.”

Others have had even less luck.

Samuel George, a first-year software engineering student, fled Kyiv after the shelling and sirens got too much for him to handle.

“I drove from Kyiv. We are trying to survive. We don’t want to die in a foreign country,” George said.

As he neared the Polish border, Samuel’s luck ran out. He said he had a minor road accident with a vehicle carrying Ukrainians because the road was narrow.

He said they took his money and stopped him from driving any further.

“They are not officials, police or military. They are normal citizens who stopped us Africans from driving to the border. They let Ukrainians pass through but not us,” George said.

“I’m now walking to the border. I have no other option. I don’t know how much further the border is. They even took our money. It is like they are not human beings,” George said, adding that he could no longer talk on the phone because his hands were freezing in the sub-zero temperature.

On Saturday, the Polish Ministry of Internal Affairs said more than 115,000 people had crossed into Poland from Ukraine, adding that everyone from Ukraine was allowed to enter, even those without a valid passport.

But for Somto and several other students, crossing the border into Poland has not been easy.

“I will be heading to Nigeria from Poland if I’m able to cross. But if I see a school offer around Schengen, I will take it up because I don’t want my school life to be disrupted,” he said as he joined the queue at the border gate.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/27/im-very-worried-african-students-caught-in-ukraine-russia-war

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Stephen0mozzy: 2:41pm On Feb 27, 2022

And you'll be hearing some half-witted people threatening and clamouring for war in Nigeria. War is a terrible thing that no one should pray to be faced with!

May God help all innocent people find safety from the madness spurn by the ego of Putin and the ecstasy of nuclear weapons.

156 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Winters23: 2:43pm On Feb 27, 2022
ok
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by inoki247: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
All is well...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by SultanOfPuna: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
“I drove from Kyiv. We are trying to survive. We don’t want to die in a foreign country,” George said.
I know a large group of biafran supporters in Ukraine. They only identify with biafran flag, and deny Nigerian flag

Na when war start them come remember Nigerian flag... grin grin

When you were enjoying Ukraine's free electricity, free snow, free wifi.
Una dey yab us for naija dey call us Zoo
War don start, una wan run abi?

My friend grab gun and fight for your foreign country.

160 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by BloomingDale(f): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
African politicians should continue fooling themselves. Shey the Europeans want the African continent without Africans in it. Anyway, they will only kill the men and leave the women only. We women should be ready to fuuk them in exchange for our lives. We will watch them kill all the useless African men while having orgasms upon orgasms during a long delicious fuckfest. I’ve been celibate for a long time now, in readiness for the long delicious fuckfest. Aluta African women. We rise.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by franchasng: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
Sighs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by olaolulazio(m): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
Make Putin no try touch our brothers and sister ooo.

E go surprise am oo

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Samnavy: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
No be small thing o

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by moneyissues(m): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
Dem ho dey alright las las
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Crafteck1: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
Stoo making the war about us, they were clearly warned weeks before this, they didnt react, they should keep quiet or lay low, you ate their food, drank their water, why run?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Nairalander248: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022

They should come back home

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by heniford2: 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
His not igbo no need to assist him undecided
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Globalhustler(m): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
A serious something. I can imagine the state of mind ppl that have close relatives over there right now. They won’t be able to sleep at night. Very worrisome state

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by festuzinic(m): 2:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
Okau
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Emeskhalifa(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
Sorry for what is happening over there ooo but most of you had the opportunity of leaving Ukraine before the invasion but refused to leave

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by emmafineboy(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
Medicine after death,y did d wait for so long after d might ve seen PR heard d sign.of war cumin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by FuckSilly: 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
Ukraine is their temporary home and they should be a good ambassador by fighting for their home.

FÚCK Ukraine
FÚCK NATO
FÚCK Russia
FÚCK EU
FÚCK USA (the real real devil and problem)

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by bigdammyj: 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
Help on the way
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by superCleanworks(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
.. Nigerian students get killed and kidnapped everyday INSIDE NIGERIA. If only they get a pinch of the media/social media attention Ukraine is getting from nigerian bloggers.

Perhaps they will never get the attention because there is no money in that story. Na Ukraine sure pass.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by seunlayi(m): 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
God will guide you back home

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Benesis: 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
olaolulazio:
Make Putin no try touch our brothers and sister ooo.

E go surprise am oo

If almighty USA dong tell her pepple say dem no go fit come epp dem or come fight for dem, na we, wey smalll aboki boys in bandit uniform dey enter Military Academy, kidnap soldiers commot na we you wan go use d make noise dey do do?
Abeg, brodaly off your mic o. Putin head no good

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by DisLifeSha: 2:45pm On Feb 27, 2022

There's nothing worse than dying in another man's land

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by NotBeenPaid: 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022

If Putin dare touch any Nigerian ehn, na our ground troops we go take invade Russia. Lubbish

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by emmanuelbrown26: 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
They gat money for war but they can't feed d poor. Heart of human is evil and wickedness.
In all this war, non of d children of the elites would be affected, it has only being d poor. Jah save d poor masses all over d world.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by pansophist(m): 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
They should have left before the war started, when the US was warning of Russian invasion.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Legendoo: 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
They're always caught unfresh

Same thing happened in China during COVID .

Yet useless woke idiot's still don't understand how the world works .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Tony5050(m): 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
H
Re: Nigerian Students Caught In The Russia-Ukraine War by Mooh247: 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
Now they know Joe Biden's warning isn't western propaganda but real fact

152 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian-American Woman Celebrates Biden's Victory With 'Crazy' Dance Steps / Ukraine Claims To Have Shot Down 5 Russian Planes and One Helicopter / Gambian President-elect Adama Barrow Releases New Photos 2day 2 Show He's Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.