Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,712 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine (42219 Views)

Russian Troops Are Raping Women In Ukraine - Dmytro Kuleba (Foreign Minister) / Video Of Kyiv Television Tower Bombed By Russian Troops / Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Vado(m): 10:35am On Mar 01, 2022
Rugaria:
Russia has her own global positioning system. Don't know what you guys are yapping about.. If they don't have, how do they guide their cruise missiles? Through The Americans GPS?

No digital Global Positioning System in the world has the breath of functionalities Google Map has. Capturing of landmarks, geo coordinates, real-time AI renditions are made possible not just because of the satellites in the orbit but also because every country that has Google working in their states have an existing data sharing contract with Google. By itself, Google map cannot know the name of my street unless Town Planning Agency shares that information. It’s like NIMC sharing some parts of our NIN data with Google today. Unless someone gets a fresh NIN tomorrow and the country severe the contract with Google, every previously shared data is in Google’s custody. The precision of their mapping system is crazy. Apple has similar yet it’s still miles behind. The question is how many countries does Russia have such sensitive privacy contract with?

We know they can hit Ukraine from their base going by spies information, intelligence data gathered prior to invasion but things probably would be much easier on the inside with Google Map because coordination on the inside is much difficult than the one from the outside, especially with an unfriendly civilian population right now. We saw video clips of stranded Russian soldiers with tanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Funflipper: 10:36am On Mar 01, 2022
omenkaLives:
I've read so many funny things here today my brother.

Whether from Reuters or Vanguard, it is really silly to think Russia, in a critical situation such as this, would be reliant on google map to find their way around Ukraine. Haba, this is too childish. They don't even need google in the first place. They've got a good number of satelights orbiting the earth to provide all the GPS and navigational coordination they need.

This news is really funny.

How funny? The russian soldiers captured in ukraine were navigating with google maps on their mobile phones.
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by powerblaze(m): 10:38am On Mar 01, 2022
Russia has satellites. How do u think their smart missiles find their way about? With Google map?

Ridiculous
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by linearity: 10:38am On Mar 01, 2022
teepain:

Your explanation was what I understood from the piece but I guess a lot of people just ran with the headline.

One needs to confirm though if other GPS based maps like Waze have disabled this feature like Google did. If not, it is could just be an exercise in futility.

Since this feature is a feedback mechanism that AI uses to mark concentration spots, it usefulness is directly proportional to how many people out there are using that App e.g. Waze or Google Map.

Waze usage dominate in US, I use it on a daily basis because it tells me if a traffic cop is ahead of or if there is an accident, parked vehicle, dead animal on the road, pot holes and all kind of real data.

So if people are not using Waze in Ukraine, it wouldn’t provide this kind of feedbacks because there are no other Waze apps around to use as the AI input, but Google map is widely used outside the US.

People that are saying Russia should have something like this are clueless, this is an AI feature that receives data from another App that is widely used by the population….and definitely Russia gadgets are not used by civilians in Ukraine from where they will get this real time AI feedback.

Those saying Satellites is a solution also does not know how satellites work. Satellites does not provide real time feedback hence Countries like Russia, USA, etc build spy planes to do reconnaissance flights…..Yes, Russia can use spy but, these are fast changing troop movements and formation, plus the plan can’t be in the air for too long plus it has limitation, it is used to spy specific area, you can’t spy a big area, and those plans can be shot down.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by neuf(m): 10:40am On Mar 01, 2022
omenkaLives:

Whether from Reuters or Vanguard, it is really silly to think Russia, in a critical situation such as this, would be reliant on google map to find their way around Ukraine. Haba, this is too childish. They don't even need google in the first place. They've got a good number of satelights orbiting the earth to provide all the GPS and navigational coordination they need.

They didn't say Russia don't have their own satellite. They didn't say Russia can't know coordinates.
They just said Google disabled the traffic feature over Ukraine, meaning nobody can't access traffic info over Ukraine.

You now interpreted the news in your own limited understanding and laugh at your sheer ignorance.

the way you guys just transit into anti-west mode when something isn't pro-Russia is amazing; defying logic and common reason

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 01, 2022
AroleOduduwa2:
Sensational headline from media house hungry for traffic, you think google is the only one with coordinates, what happened to the good old compass
Majority of the present generation cannot use a compass, and it is not as effective as a Google map.
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Funflipper: 10:42am On Mar 01, 2022
chronique:
The fact that people can believe this would affect the Russians, tells me exactly how you guys were fooled to vote buhari. So Russia with her numerous satellites and actually the leading country in space technology, would rely on Google map for moving around Ukraine? Sad.

Russia the leading country in space technology? lol
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Alamkir: 10:42am On Mar 01, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
More trouble for Russian troops

So u believed this nonsense propaganda from Western media again.? Do u know how many seterlite Russia has in space for different purpose. U think they depend on google for map?

2 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by neuf(m): 10:43am On Mar 01, 2022
linearity:

Since this feature is a feedback mechanism that AI uses to mark concentration spots, it usefulness is directly proportional to how many people out there are using that App e.g. Waze or Google Map.

Waze usage dominate in US, I use it on a daily basis because it tells me if a traffic cop is ahead of or if there is an accident, parked vehicle, dead animal on the road, pot holes and all kind of real data.

So if people are not using Waze in Ukraine, it wouldn’t provide this kind of feedbacks because there are no other Waze apps around to use as the AI input, but Google map is widely used outside the US.

People that are saying Russia should have something like this are clueless, this is an AI feature that receives data from another App that is widely used by the population….and definitely Russia gadgets are not used by civilians in Ukraine from where they will get this real time AI feedback.

Those saying Satellites is a solution also does not know how satellites work. Satellites does not provide real time feedback hence Countries like Russia, USA, etc build spy planes to do reconnaissance flights…..Yes, Russia can use spy but, these are fast changing troop movements and formation, plus the plan can’t be in the air for too long plus it has limitation, it is used to spy specific area, you can’t spy a big area, and those plans can be shot down.

Please can you make it louder. You see the way people reason on this forum and you can't be shocked for the leadership we produce and our underdevelopment
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Alamkir: 10:43am On Mar 01, 2022
Funflipper:

Russia the leading country in space technology? lol
That's the plain true

2 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Wannabenz: 10:44am On Mar 01, 2022
Make Una stop all this yeye propaganda, they're bombarding Ukraine even as peacetalks were being held.
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Sunnyb104(m): 10:46am On Mar 01, 2022
geunik:

Which compass show traffic congestion

Russians make use of Yandex, it is just like Google. It has maps and everything Google has

3 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Investigative: 10:46am On Mar 01, 2022
denitro:

The United States owns and controls the GPS system and they could deny access to it at any time by disabling non-encrypted signals that are used by non-military users. As far as other countries' systems such as GLONASS, they could simply jam signals from the satellites in limited geographic areas. That is what google did.

It is now very difficult to invade another country and not suffer massive loss because you will technically be fighting against several other countries too. The west don't want to repeat the same mistake that made Hitler think he can invade other countries and take over the entire world.
LOL
And you believe Russia is using US GPS
Why is African dvmb?

3 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by adeolaben(m): 10:49am On Mar 01, 2022
AroleOduduwa2:
Sensational headline from media house hungry for traffic, you think google is the only one with coordinates, what happened to the good old compass
Nah so, what of Yandex map.....Yandex be like Google for the Russians...
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Funflipper: 10:50am On Mar 01, 2022
Alamkir:

That's the plain true

Really? Even ahead of America and China?
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by gaspology(m): 10:50am On Mar 01, 2022
As if Russian military rely on Google maps for directions. Guy, Russian satellites in space do the job just fine. Reuter is an extension of Western propaganda but I doubt brain washed group would understand this

3 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by nurudeen181(m): 10:51am On Mar 01, 2022
so you are telling me there wasnt movement before google maps... i dey wonder how this kind news dey take gain traffic like shey naso all those people no fit take think independently reach ni?

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:55am On Mar 01, 2022
THEY SHOULD DO MORE.STOP THE WAR.STOP MAD PUTIN,THERE NO JUSTIFICATION FOR WAR. GO TO COURT OF ICCC TO SETTLE YOUR MATTER.
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Schprobs: 11:02am On Mar 01, 2022
Illuminatiship:
I like been a slave and having the best of life (money) rather than be poor and dying poor like you will..

Go tell your fu*cking America to leave eastern Europe alone and allow peace to reign
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Saao(m): 11:04am On Mar 01, 2022
AroleOduduwa2:
don't mind them.

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by timay1: 11:09am On Mar 01, 2022
KaluwisxPRO:

Name one mapping system, then I will show you where it’s feed come from.

Yandex?

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Invitationn: 11:15am On Mar 01, 2022
SarkinYarki:
No serious Army will rely on Google map for its movt
Not even the US.

2 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by omenkaLives(m): 11:16am On Mar 01, 2022
neuf:

They didn't say Russia don't have their own satellite. They didn't say Russia can't know coordinates.
They just said Google disabled the traffic feature over Ukraine, meaning nobody can't access traffic info over Ukraine.

You now interpreted the news in your own limited understanding and laugh at your sheer ignorance.

the way you guys just transit into anti-west mode when something isn't pro-Russia is amazing; defying logic and common reason
I hate it when punks quote me.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/02/confusion-hits-russian-troops-as-google-disables-traffic-maps-in-ukraine/

The title says CONFUSION HITS RUSSIAN TROOPS....

The point is, the article is telling the reader, they're "confused", because Google map has been disabled. And my comment says that's laughable.

Now, go screw someone else, I'm not gay.

Bye.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by handsomeyinka(m): 11:17am On Mar 01, 2022
omenkaLives:

Google ain't fools...if they didn't see it,they wont disconnect it...

It will really hurt them
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Invitationn: 11:20am On Mar 01, 2022
AchalugoNwa:
you're intelligent.
I'm happy I married you kiss

Russia even have yandex
Even so, the military will not rely on Yandex, except they have an 100% control over it.
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Investigative: 11:26am On Mar 01, 2022
teepain:

Your explanation was what I understood from the piece but I guess a lot of people just ran with the headline.

One needs to confirm though if other GPS based maps like Waze have disabled this feature like Google did. If not, it is could just be an exercise in futility.
We are all analyzing all this because war never start if war start you will know
That a drone with help of satellite can detect an area of weapon concentration in any geographic location
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Spidermon: 11:43am On Mar 01, 2022
Lol.
Una think say na Nigerian military wey dey use Whatsapp communicate for battlefield be this ??
Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Guyman02: 11:44am On Mar 01, 2022
Russia has been to space long before Google was created as a business entity and they have had GPS mapping of space before America claimed to have landed a man on the moon

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Guyman02: 11:45am On Mar 01, 2022
Rugaria:
Russia has her own global positioning system. Don't know what you guys are yapping about.. If they don't have, how do they guide their cruise missiles? Through The Americans GPS?
Savage response to GOTV CNN war analysts grin

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Guyman02: 11:46am On Mar 01, 2022
AchalugoNwa:
you're intelligent.
I'm happy I married you kiss

Russia even have yandex
Many here don't even know that Russia uses Yandex and not Google, they just fall Yakata for sensational western media propaganda

2 Likes

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Drefaithful(m): 11:50am On Mar 01, 2022
People are so funny, the basic military training, revolves round the ability to read, understand and interpret the map, (MAP READING) is essential knowledge every soldier must know before they pass out.

Above all, as powerful as Russia is, counting on google map can never be an option not to talk of absolute reliance.

1 Like

Re: Confusion Hits Russian Troops As Google Disables Traffic Maps In Ukraine by Guyman02: 11:55am On Mar 01, 2022
omenkaLives:

The news is not funny but silly, a country that navigated space over 40 years before Google was established as a private business now needs Google to navigate their backyard Ukraine.
Even Nigeria Army does not use Google not to talk of a world power with homemade satellites hovering around the world

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Putin Agrees To Meet Zelensky In Person For Peace Talks / French Navy Intercepts Russia-Bound Cargo Ship In English Channel / The Top Candidates To Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.