Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network (20701 Views)

JUST IN: Russian Banks Switch To China's Unionpay After Visa, Mastercard Snub / Germany, Allies Have Taken Decision To Cut Some Russian Banks From SWIFT / Ukrainian ‘tank Man’ Trying To Block Russian Military Convoy (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
neuf:

SMH... Internet there you won't use to help yourself.

There's no way you can convert your currency to dollars with using the SWIFT network.

I hate to dey talk with ignorant people
YOU ARE THE IGNORANT ONE HERE
WITH OR WITHOUT SWIFT, AS LONG AS THOSE 14 COUNTRIES ACCEPT MIR, IT MEANS THE RUBLES CAN AUTOMATICALLY BE CONVERTED TO THE EQUIVALENT OF THEIR LOCAL COUNTRY CURRENCY INSTEAD UNLESS THEY SHUT OFF FROM THE MIR NETWORK.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by neuf(m): 4:56pm On Mar 02, 2022
pinkygurl:

YOU ARE THE IGNORANT ONE HERE
WITH OR WITHOUT SWIFT, AS LONG AS THOSE 14 COUNTRIES ACCEPT MIR, IT MEANS THE RUBLES CAN AUTOMATICALLY BE CONVERTED TO THE EQUIVALENT OF THEIR LOCAL COUNTRY CURRENCY INSTEAD UNLESS THEY SHUT OFF FROM THE MIR NETWORK.

SMH.. you just wrote back what I said and then called me ignorant. Like are you OK? It looks like you need help.

Those 14 countries, are their local currency dollars

Nairaland need to start doing brain test before allowing people on this platform.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Elsueno: 4:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
batb:

International trade nko?

it's not like the western block would trade with Russia after the sanction.

Russia has things the international community wants, if anybody wants to trade with her, they would obviously use thier network way them dey colabo with chinco.

Personally, I think tempering with SWIFT should have being d last resort. This might just be an owned goal for Nato & Us. I sincerely hope Nigeria does not lick anybodies a#s, stay neutral & trade with every side
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 5:03pm On Mar 02, 2022
tradepunter:

No nation is an island, you need other countries to trade... Even those 14 countries you mentioned will they want a rubble that's value is at an all time low?

People always forget the west created a system for themselves to prosper, others keyed into it because they saw then prospering.

Even china has had similar stuff for years... Economy and money is all about the faith people have in it.

Authoritarians can never truly have true friends because the friends know they can't impose such on their peo...
Now you are contradicting yourself.
The bone of contention is.
The 14countries are not impeded.
Because if they are on the mir network with servers in russia, and have sites accepting mir card,
The ruble is converted to whatever price tag of their local currency in lieu of the dollar.
If a product is tagged 500naira for example ,or $1,,, and on the mir network with payment gateway connected to servers in russia,
And the country accepts mir,
Then the rubles is automatically converted to naira for such a purchase with or without swift and the merchant local naira account npot domicillary account will be credited.
But to complete the transactiom with visa or mastercard is not possible or co

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 5:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
neuf:

SMH.. you just wrote back what I said and then called me ignorant. Like are you OK? It looks like you need help.

Those 14 countries, are their local currency dollars

Nairaland need to start doing brain test before allowing people on this platform.

Oga You are the one whonneeds a brain test.
I am not the one who asked whether those fourteen countries? trade is still possible and if they will accept rubles if it is losing value?
You are the one who forgot the rubles can be converted to their local currency through the mir network unless they stop accepting mir and cut off
The point is only mastercard and visa cut off and 14 countries are still accepting mir cards on the mir network
So since swift is gone, so long as they accept mir, the rubles can be converted to the local currency of the fourteem countries through the mir network
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
seunny4lif:
Don’t Russia have MIR card another version of VISA and Master CARD because they have been using it in Crimea.

MIR is used in over 14 countries already and now, it will increase as many countries will add MIR card to their list
Spot on
One bottle of cold beer for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by neuf(m): 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
pinkygurl:

I am not the one who asked whether those fourteen countries? trade is still possible and if they will accept rubles if it is losing value?
You are the one who forgot the rubles can be converted to their local currency through the mir network unless they stop accepting mir and cut off
The point is only mastercard and visa cut off and 14 countries are still accepting mir cards on the mir network
So since swift is gone, so long as they accept mir, the rubles can be converted to the local currency of the fourteem countries through the mir network

see what I wrote, then see your response. It's not even up to an hour yet.

aunty go rest. if you don't know something shut up and listen. it's not a crime

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Camelot65: 5:16pm On Mar 02, 2022
pinkygurl:

Can the rubies be converted to dollars on MIR network?

Do those 14 countries use Dollars as their local currency?
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 5:16pm On Mar 02, 2022
tradepunter:

No nation is an island, you need other countries to trade... Even those 14 countries you mentioned will they want a rubble that's value is at an all time low?

People always forget the west created a system for themselves to prosper, others keyed into it because they saw then prospering.

Even china has had similar stuff for years... Economy and money is all about the faith people have in it.

Authoritarians can never truly have true friends because the friends know they can't impose such on their people.

They will only act as friends and pay lip services just as Africa and wider world is doing with china just to get loan.

The west have a system and a way of life and as you can see they won't trade that for anything....

SEE WHAT YOU WROTE IN RESPONSE TO VISA AND MASTERCARD PACKING.WHEN THE COUNTRY HAS MIR STILL ACCEPTED IN 14COUNTRIES (only)
IF YOU DONT KNOW SOMETHING YOU CAN ASK OTHERS TO ENLIGHTEN YOU.
I ONLY BROUGHT UP THE ALIEXPRESS INSTANCE TO CLARIFY THAT ALIEXPRESS IS STILL ACCEPTING MIR,, I USE MI MIR CARD TO MAKE PURCHASES ON ALIEXPRESS AND IT IS AUTOMATICALLY CONVERTED TO WHATEVER PRICE TAG THE GOOD IS IN THE LOCAL CHINESE CURRENCY OR DOLLARS.
NOW READ THE QUESTION YOU WROTE AGAIN MORE SLOWLY AND SEE THAT YOU ASKED A NOT TOO BRIGHT QUESTION FOR 14 COUNTRIES STILL ACCEPTING MIR ON THE MIR NETWORK WITH SERVERS AND COMPUTERS CONNECTED TO RUSSIA.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 5:21pm On Mar 02, 2022
Camelot65:
Can the rubies be converted to dollars on MIR network?

Do those 14 countries use Dollars as their local currency?
Its still you with a fake monicker.You asked with another monicker [ b] Even those fourteen countries wil they accept rubles that is at an all time low [/b]
The answrr is if those 14countries are accepting mir atms on mir network in lieu of visa or mastercard,, the trade will not be hampered as long as the countries support the mir netwok which can convert rubles to the local currency of the 14 countries.
The countries accept their local currency payment for goods tagged in their local currency and they also accept dollars
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Camelot65: 5:24pm On Mar 02, 2022
pinkygurl:

Its still you with a fake monicker.You asked with another monicker [ b] Even those fourteen countries wil they accept rubles that is at an all time low [/b]
The answrr is if those 14countries are accepting mir atms on mir network in lieu of visa or mastercard,, the trade will not be hampered as long as the countries support the mir netwok which can convert rubles to the local currency of the 14 countries.
The countries accept their local currency payment for goods tagged in their local currency and they also accept dollars
So you think I'm him with another moniker?? Ok then.....
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by lecowas: 5:46pm On Mar 02, 2022
ednut1:
When will europe stop accepting Russian gas and America stop buying Russian oil Clowns

America has enough reserves of oil, don't know abt gas, if America should open their reserves and start selling, it will affect Nigerian economy also, it might not affect u but it will affect the common masses. Be careful what u wish for.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by ednut1(m): 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
lecowas:

America has enough reserves of oil, don't know abt gas, if America should open their reserves and start selling, it will affect Nigerian economy also, it might not affect u but it will affect the common masses. Be careful what u wish for.
do more research. I dont need to argue with u lol
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by DEFACO: 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2022
Very unfortunate
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by starstunna1313(m): 7:08pm On Mar 02, 2022
fatatoulli:
This one strong, so their citizens will be struggling to use ATM card like this? Even if it's their government and not them that went to war in Ukraine? embarassed

Since last week. They can’t even withdraw from their own banks.. My sadness is that it’s just the people that are suffering it
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2022
neuf:

see what I wrote, then see your response. It's not even up to an hour yet.

aunty go rest. if you don't know something shut up and listen. it's not a crime
Huncle it is only now that visa and mastercard pulled out after swift.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION, WITHOUT SWIFT, RUBLES IN VISA ATM AND RUBLES IN MASTERCARD ATMS Were STILL BEING CONVERTED TO DOLLARS AND LOCAL CURRENCIES TOO IN ALL THE COUNTRIES WITH ECOMERCE SITE ACCEPTING VISA AND MASTERCARD EVEN IF IT IS AMAZON WITH LOCAL CURRENCY DOLLARS.. The visa and mastercard cards of ALLinternational payment systems have been working as usual without Swift.
THE VISA ATM, MASTERCARD ATMS AND MIR ATMS ON THE MIR NETWORK WERE ALL WORKING FINE AND CONVERTING RUBLES TO DOLLARS TOO.THANKS TO RUSSIAN SWIFT REPLACEMENT SPFS. IT is the international payment gateway settlement network and MAGU in russia to parallel swift.charges on visa and mastercard rubles atm to convert to dollar have higher tariffs for $1 to rubles on banks routing on Spfs than banks routing on SWIFT. It is cheaper via SWIFT. The card charges for $1 to ruble only increased a

The blow here is just mastercard and visa joining strike/sanctions and leaving and leaving only mir cards.which is accepted in14 countries only and aliexpress. Apple pay and GOOGLE PAY ACCEPT VISA OR.MASTERCARD ONLY NOT MIR ATMS. and they have ALL BEEN WORKING FINE on PLAYSTORE ALSO UNTIL Apple and google block visa cards from Russia containing ruble
Without SWIFT, the visa and mastrrcard containg rubles have been working fine in international transactions in all the countries visa and mastercard only cards are accepted on their ecommerce sites like amazon.
l can buy goods on aliexpress usinh mir,visa or mastercard
But on amazon using visa only or mastercard which were still working fine without SWIFT
All the cash inside the visa and mastecard are rubles.
And dollar is the local currency on amazon.
Without SWIFT, THE CARDS WERE PERFECTLY STILL WORKING FINE COS OF SPFS.
SO GOOGLE PLAY STORE BANNED VISA ATMS FROM RUSSIA FROM ITS STORE.
IF GOOGLE NOR JOIN FIGHT,,,, THE RUBLES EQUIVALENT WILL STILL BE CONVERTED LIKE ANY OTHER VISA CARD TO MERCHANT GOOGLE'S LOCAL CURRENCY DOLLAR.
AMAZON FOR JOIM FIGHT.
BUT MASTERCARD AND VISA MADE WAR HARDER.BY OPTING TO LEAVE...
THEIR CARDS DEY WORK WELLA WITHOUT SWIFT ON AMAZON ON NEtfliX THANKS TO SPFS

Without swift,,, the visa and mastercard were still wotking fine converting dollars to rubles on dollars only site Thanks to spfs
GO AND DO YOUR RESEARCH. EVEN IF CHINA TODAY IS CUT OFF FROM SWIFT,, VISA AND MASTERCARD ATMS CONTAING YUANS WILL STILL WORK COS OF CHINA'S CIPs FOR CLEARING YUAN PAYMENT GATEWAY
Even converting yuan to local currency dollar on amazon without swift as long as amazon accepts visa and mastercard atms.

https://www.fxempire.com/news/article/central-bank-of-russia-launches-swift-replacement-with-399-users-918266

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/india-business/explained-how-russia-has-been-preparing-for-a-swift-ban-since-2014/amp_articleshow/89905395.cms

https://theconversation.com/swift-ejecting-russia-is-largely-symbolic-heres-why-178065

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by cosmos1440: 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2022
What of the bookmaker, 1XBet owned by a Russian conglomerate ?

1 Like

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by ivolt: 7:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
PencilBox:
I'm not a lover of war. But, where was the world when Israel was bombing Gaza and other nations?

When America was crippling Iran, where was the world?

So Russia is the first?
Gaza is not a country.
Iran has not been invaded.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by itu404(m): 7:23pm On Mar 02, 2022
Sad fact is that is it a lose, lose situation for Russia or rather, Putin. His strategy has let him down; he took Georgia, nobody spoke, went to Crimea, no one made any noise. He never reckons the people of Ukraine will not see him as a liberator, but a dictator. The bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:7 Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad;. No army is strong enough to subdue a people who think you are oppressing them. Putin has played into the hands of the west, led by America; he never knew they will shift the post; they cut off his financial ability: Putin has built up a large reserve for this attack, Interswitch a financial network use by almost all nations has cut links with Russia. The Ukrainians has resisted the almighty Russia. That is enough for its critics to taunt him, thus they have been demystified. Okay, he captures the capital. Kieve. Does that mean the people have capitulated? where the hell is he going to get the money to take care of the Army that is required to put the Ukranian inline like he does in Russia? China is not playing ball like he thought. His cronies, the oligarchs, are facing losing thier yachts, mansions and stockpile of money in the west. The west will tighten this rope round his neck till the brake or one of his lieutenants blow out his brains.
What is playing out in Ukraine is that Warfare is more than military might for no man is an island, even China is watching and learning from it too.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by ifeanyiclement: 7:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
seunny4lif:

You want kill them
Even Hungary president said his country will go ahead with the new gas contract because it’s long term, as Hungary will not need to worry about high cost of gas
Pakistan president said same because the price of oil is going crazy now and only those who have long term contract can enjoy it.
When the EU turn to face Hungary for its collaboration with Russia, the sanctions will make Hungary hungry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by seunny4lif(m): 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2022
ifeanyiclement:
When the EU turn to face Hungary for its collaboration with Russia, the sanctions will make Hungary hungry
And when EU start falling apart then you will understand.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Lordedifice1: 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
Camelot65:
LMAO, another one, if you don't want your post countered, then get if off public space.

You have no right to moderate my comments
My comments my opinion
You do not have any legal right to tell what to comment
If you don't like my comments please say your own and stop countering comments because you can't prove a point in countering people's comments
My comments mustn't suit you
So back off
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Lordedifice1: 8:36pm On Mar 02, 2022
Frankiss44:

They say you guys sound on this page is disgusting.. Na only Putin get nukes? Do u know how many nukes are facing Russia at a shorter distance as we speak? That he is mad doesn't mean he has the monopoly of madness oh
You heard when Russia said no one should interfere
So what's disgusting
When Isreal attacked gaza or what was it Palestine did anybody raise an eyebrow
No sanction no world threats to Isreal
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Camelot65: 8:37pm On Mar 02, 2022
Lordedifice1:

You have no right to moderate my comments
My comments my opinion
You do not have any legal right to tell what to comment
If you don't like my comments please say your own and stop countering comments because you can't prove a point in countering people's comments
My comments mustn't suit you
So back off
I didn't tell you what to comment, I only replied to your comment.

And you also have no legal right to tell me not to reply to comments.

This is a public forum, if you don't want any replies, then stop commenting.

Front on.

1 Like

Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by lecowas: 8:49pm On Mar 02, 2022
ednut1:
do more research. I dont need to argue with u lol

U're the one that needs to do more research, U. S only import 90k barrels a day of Russian crude oil, on the other hand, Russian economy will feel the heat more since 43% of its revenue sustaining its economy is based on oil and gas. Stop saying what u don't know... Google is at ur service.

NB: do u even know that U. S is the largest producer of crude oil?
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Psalmistproject: 8:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
HigherEd:
Putin has turned Russia into a pariah state. His only hope is to takeover kyiv as quickly as possible. If he doesn't within a month. Russia's economy would be highly damaged.

Even if he takes over Kiev the sanctions will remain in place.
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Lordedifice1: 9:08pm On Mar 02, 2022
Camelot65:
I didn't tell you what to comment, I only replied to your comment.

And you also have no legal right to tell me not to reply to comments.

This is a public forum, if you don't want any replies, then stop commenting.

Front on.

I dy my own you carry your headache come my side
Please don't counter my comments it is not a must that my comments must fit spirit
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by Camelot65: 9:44pm On Mar 02, 2022
Lordedifice1:

I dy my own you carry your headache come my side
Please don't counter my comments it is not a must that my comments must fit spirit
K
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by JohnSP99: 10:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
Cizarr:
This one no too good for their citizens
just as the war is not too good for Ukraine citizens
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by JohnSP99: 10:34pm On Mar 02, 2022
KingEverest:
grin the backlash is epic at the end it's innocent Russians that would suffer most, so the question now is can they put enough pressure on their government?
exactly what they should be doing, by the time the whole nation is against him, he back down and if not then his end has come
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by JohnSP99: 10:36pm On Mar 02, 2022
seunny4lif:
Don’t Russia have MIR card another version of VISA and Master CARD because they have been using it in Crimea.

MIR is used in over 14 countries already and now, it will increase as many countries will add MIR card to their list
but how many uses that, and what is their cyber security guarantee
Re: Visa, Mastercard Block Russian Banks From Network by pinkygurl(f): 11:14pm On Mar 02, 2022
JohnSP99:

but how many uses that, and what is their cyber security guarantee
The poster clearly stated 14countries for now and you are still asking how many uses that grin
@Cyber security guarantee is 100%. E dey kampe.
It was only recently developed 2014 though when visa and mastercard iniitially threatened to pull out as ru/ukraine tensions built up.so it will take a while to get more countries and ecommerce sites outside russia to be accepting and displaying mir card options.

I use my mir atm supported by the mir network with servers in russia, to make purchases on ecommerce site Aliexpress.
War or no war,,ecommerce american amazon accepts only payments from american company visa and mastercard only. The mir works on POS in russia and those fourteen countries. Sha, HP site in russia for example, accepts mir. HP.ru or sth like that. Samsung site or Apple site.ru accepts the mir .(apple wan run now limit sales grin)
Ford,Toyota cars.ru/ru outlets accepts mir on their sites. H& M.ru , Nike.ru and other western clothing outlets.ru accepts the mir.It is mandatory for western outlets tailored for ru market to accept mir cards on their sites or they will have no business or branch office in the territory to begin with.

I only have visa and mastercard most times for dirwctly patronising western websites outside russia like amazon.

It will take a while for russia to get more countries to accept mir cards.
Most western sites display visa and mastercard options only.
Even outside crypto trading apps accepting deposits in rubles from russia registered clients, only visa and mastercard are displayed as options of cards to use to make the rubles deposit equivalent of crypto with price tag in dollars at exchange rate of the day.

Like l said earlier, if sanctions get hotter, russian sites or any outlet.ru may soon be mandated to stop accepting visa and mastrrcard options from anywhere in retaliation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Falling Boulders Kill 9 Tourists In India Landslide (Pic, Video) / Sweden Officially Joins NATO, Ending Decades Of Neutrality / IDF Tank Accidentally Hits Egyptian Military Post Near Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.