Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,575 members, 7,812,871 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) (20094 Views)

"Wike, Go Abuja": Protest Erupts In Rivers Over Impeachment Plot On Fubara / Supreme Court Joins Rivers In Buhari’s Suit Against National Assembly / PDP Abuja Protest Ends Abruptly As Members Escape Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Echoban: 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2022
Eriokanmi:
You talk as if you're not a Nigerian. Where were you when Hon Olubunmi Etteh was removed on the account of an offence she never committed just to deny her that role in the house, just because Northern Muslims weren't comfortable seeing a woman as their head? After delaying the judgement tactically, the court now ruled that she was removed in error but the deed had even done. A man had taken over.

Last year, Isa pantami disgraced abike dabiri and shut their office used as the diaspora commision office, just because she's a woman. The same pantami blocked buhari from shaking hands with remi tinubu. Until we remove religious bigotry from leadership and politics, this country would keep remaining in one position. Women have occupied great positions in the world and performed more than men.

Women have always participated in politics but men keep blocking their way. Only the stubbotn few and children of the elites always have their way. It shouldn't be

I don't think u understood that guys point. U women have the numbers, then mobilize and vote in women in both 9th and 8th Assembly in ur own constituency, nobody is barring u atall, where on Earth is it done?

Won't be surprised they will soon ask for gender rotational Presidency. Man do, then woman do Next.

Una funny o. cool

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Kingosytex(m): 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2022
SmartyPants:

Is there a difference between gender chauvinism amd ethnic bigotry?

On to your point, if women make up over half of rhe country then why on earth do they need affirmative action??

Has the majority stopped carrying the vote?

Help me ask him/her. Women are just bunch of manipulative beings who hide under gender bias to reap where they did not sow.
Is there any constitution that stops women from contesting elections? These guys expect everything to be handed to them on a platter. Is Sen. Ekwunife not flooring men in her constituency?

We want equal rights but when it gets to critical situations like warfare, it becomes the responsibility of men.
Women are just confused.

5 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by daytona007: 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2022
If we reserve seats for you then it's no longer equality. You just want preferential treatment.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Echoban: 5:40pm On Mar 02, 2022
mosagbo:
I don't know why the women are not given opportunity to serve

U mean u purchased the party form to contest and u're denied because ure a woman Call out that party and Sue them. Stop being emotional .

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Theboy21: 5:41pm On Mar 02, 2022
vikstandon:
You claim to be equals with men...yet can't compete favorably with them. You always want to be handed off everything.

Why can't you compete for it.

I don't advocate giving women things under special consideration, they should compete for those things. Since they believe what a man can do, a woman does better.
Entitlement is in their blood cheesy cheesy
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by justuschi50: 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2022
Kingosytex:

Help me ask him/her. Women are just bunch of manipulative beings who hide under gender bias to reap where they did not sow.
Is there any constitution that stops women from contesting elections? These guys expect everything to be handed to them on a platter. Is Sen. Ekwunife not flooring men in her constituency?

We want equal rights but it gets to critical situations like warfare, it becomes the responsibility of males.
Women are just confused.
thank you and it's working for them most women are now in control of the husband or boyfriend. I know a friend of my were his girlfriend control him. In future time, men will be afraid of women

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Perfectbeing(m): 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2022
Some days ago, one bitter woman was saying that women shouldn't be asked to fight the Ukrainian war because it was the men that caused the war. But they can't use that logic when it comes to leadership.

Nigeria is a country that was built by 99% man power. It was men that fought for the independence of this country. So it is men that should be allowed to rule the country cos its them that built it.

If women want to rule, they should build the country and fight for the country..

3 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by daytona007: 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2022
Kingosytex:

These guys expect everything to be handed to them on a platter. I
On a fvcking platter! Reason they will always be weak! Yes, I said what I said.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by ufotunang: 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2022
Look at them... instead of them to protest against the 36 governor's wives that travel to Dubai and wasted our tax payers money to present a birthday cake to the wife of the president....Aisha Buhari at Dubai
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by TLE900: 5:47pm On Mar 02, 2022
Which LGA are u de? Make u go stay where Dem go fit hear your voice quick quick. Cotinu to stay in the hole
Shegzdave:
These Abuja people don’t any other thing than Protesting against Irrelevant issues. sad
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Theboy21: 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2022
backnbeta:
True feminism demands true equality, not automatic seats for women. Let us women start supporting ourselves instead of begging men to give us seats! Let's start unseating them, let's go all out and participate more in elective politics!
That's the point, but many of them are too dumb to reason like this... cheesy cheesy
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Ladycewhy(f): 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
Henrymas:
These good for nothing women, did not come out to protest the sitting at home of their children when they are suppose to be in school.
why your mama nor start the protest? undecided, since she is good for something undecided

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Imbecilicsamuel: 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
No female don work pass Dora and see wetin dem do am. undecided

Other women there na puppets. Some na glutton...some na thief.

Who will get the job done is what I am after whether male or female.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 5:52pm On Mar 02, 2022
Eriokanmi:
You talk as if you're not a Nigerian. Where were you when Hon Olubunmi Etteh was removed on the account of an offence she never committed just to deny her that role in the house, just because Northern Muslims weren't comfortable seeing a woman as their head? After delaying the judgement tactically, the court now ruled that she was removed in error but the deed had even done. A man had taken over.

Last year, Isa pantami disgraced abike dabiri and shut their office used as the diaspora commision office, just because she's a woman. The same pantami blocked buhari from shaking hands with remi tinubu. Until we remove religious bigotry from leadership and politics, this country would keep remaining in one position. Women have occupied great positions in the world and performed more than men.

Women have always participated in politics but men keep blocking their way. Only the stubbotn few and children of the elites always have their way. It shouldn't be

Your argument does not address the points I raised.

If you assert that women are the majority, then all it takes is for a woman to run for senate, and all the women in her constituency to vote for her. No one, court or not will stand in thier way. The reality is that Nigerian women are highly apathetic about politics. That's all.

Now looking at the points you raised, you know these arguments don't hold any water:

1. I'm not abreast of the first case you mentioned but you should see visibly that such an argument is untenable. Was Ihedioha removed because he was a woman?

2. The rift between Dabiri and Pantami was just a disagreement between colleagues. I'm wondering whether you have any evidence of there being an ulterior gender-based motive behind Pantami's actions? More importantly, how does that amount to blocking her from participating in politics? This Dabiri was already a minister, appointed by Buhari (a man to the best of our knowledge), can it be sincerely said that she was blocked from participating in politics??

3. Similarly, Pantami blocking some Tinubu from shaking the president is down to the fact that he and the president share the same religious belief where men don't shake women. How does that in reality translate to deprivation of political participation? After all the same Remi Tinubu is a senator, ironically showing that women can, and do make it to political office when they follow the same methods as men.

Even at the university level, do women show interest in student politics? Let's stop this dishonest politics of sentiment.

3 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Ladycewhy(f): 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
Number 2 is the only one I can align with. But hey ride on mamas.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Bobloco: 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
Shegzdave:
These Abuja people don’t any other thing than Protesting against Irrelevant issues. sad

They can't protest against this current fuel scarcity
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 5:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
BILL NUMBER 1:

Denying citizenship to a foreign-born husband of a Nigerian woman. (While it allows Nigerian men’s foreign-born wives to be awarded automatic citizenship)

This means that as a Nigerian woman, if you marry a non Nigerian man, he can NEVER be a citizen of Nigeria.

MY OPINION: OUTRAGEOUS (Same laws should apply to both men and women)

BILL NUMBER 2:

Denying Nigerian women indigeneity through marriage.

As a Nigerian Woman, when married, you can never be an indigene of your spouse’s state.

This means you cannot contest for elective positions or be recognized for anything through your husband’s state.

MY OPINION: WRONG (This leaves women in limbo and disenfranchised politically when they marry and take husband's surname)

BILL NUMBER 3:

Denying additional seats for women in the National Assembly.

This means that additional seats for women at the National Assembly will NOT be happening.

58 votes out of 91 Senate and 208 out of 290 house of Rep members voted against it.

MY OPINION: GOOD (If you want elected positions, compete like men do)

BILL NUMBER 4:

Denying 35 per cent appointed positions for women and settling for 20 per cent.

MY OPINION: GOOD (Sounds about right)

BILL NUMBER 5:

Denying women affirmative action in party administration and leadership.

This simply means there will be NO Favour for women in general, either in the political parties or leadership positions in general.

MY OPINION: GOOD (If you want elected positions, compete like men do)
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by StrictlyStreet: 5:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
As e be like this men don dey carry plate, come imagine when more empowerment dey, men go see shege

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by VintageConcepts: 5:58pm On Mar 02, 2022
Women protest at NASS over lawmakers rejection of gender bills.
More photos:

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

It's so unfair for us women but again what are the contributions of women in the society that should merit them all these.

We only fight to reap where we didn't sow, with no contribution at all. our women should wake up and work as men.

Thank you!

You are on point.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Kingcalls: 6:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
Queensss:
Lol..

Only the number 2 bill seems relevant. The rest is just trifling

Exactly
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2022
JosephXavier:
Let's be critical in our our approach to this

Women are asking for equality in everything and are asking for an advantage at the same time

You can't be a feminist agitating for level play ground and still asking for 35% seats to be allocated to you because that would be unfair and mischievous

In my own humble opinion, I think they should participate in politics more often and not sit back and wait to be appointed into political positions

A woman I respect so much is Sen Mrs Ekwuniife from Anambra central.

She have contested and shown that she can represent and is now a two time Senator in Anambra central that has the most number of strong politicians like Chris Ngige, Peter Obi, Sen. Vincent Umeh and the rest

Most if these people protesting don't even have a Voter's card and are not registered to any political party, but you would like to win elections and occupy political appointments

You can't reap where you did not sow

Nobody is stopping them from buying tickets, declaring there interest and campaigning

It's a fair challenge so don't be looking for an advantage

So well said!

Feminism is about selfishness!

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by blaise26abj(m): 6:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
This is very UNPOPULAR but today, women in Abuja are protesting against the misogynistic and repressive agenda against women by this 9th National Assembly.

Are you aware of all the bills that were rejected?

Here’s a thread of the constitution amendments.

RT for others.

About five bills sought to promote more opportunities for women in political parties, governance and the society at large.

All the bills were rejected.

Here are the provisions of the bills ��

BILL NUMBER 1:

Denying citizenship to a foreign-born husband of a Nigerian woman. (While it allows Nigerian men’s foreign-born wives to be awarded automatic citizenship)

This means that as a Nigerian woman, if you marry a non Nigerian man, he can NEVER be a citizen of Nigeria.

My opinion : This is unfair truly.

BILL NUMBER 2:

Denying Nigerian women indigeneity through marriage.

As a Nigerian Woman, when married, you can never be an indigene of your spouse’s state.

My opinion. This is unfair too. Although this needs to be reviewed to address those that want to become indigenes . A lot of women will never want to become indigenes of their husbands state so it can’t be automatic . I am not sure if there is a process to become the indigene of a state already ( outside of marriage )

BILL NUMBER 3:

Denying additional seats for women in the National Assembly.

This means that additional seats for women at the National Assembly will NOT be happening.

58 votes out of 91 Senate and 208 out of 290 house of Rep members voted against it.

My Opinion : Women should Fight for the positions . Senator Oluremi was deputy governor and pdp minority leader in the senate.

BILL NUMBER 4:

Denying 35 per cent appointed positions for women and settling for 20 per cent.

My opinion: Unreasonable . Haba . They even accepted 20 percent . They should have insisted on 0 percent . Let everyone fight for the positions. Equity you want , Equity you get .

BILL NUMBER 5:

Denying women affirmative action in party administration and leadership.

My opinion: With the way leadership is even selected @ party level is crazy , the process should be changed first. Then it will be easier to demand for affirmative action

BONUS: BILL NUMBER 6:

Nigerians in diaspora will NOT be allowed to vote.

Nigeria’s Senate has voted to reject changes to the constitution to allow citizens living abroad to vote in national elections.

My Opinion : we are not ripe for this . When physical voting is still a huge challenge . This is ahead of its time .

Only 29 senators out of the 92 present supported the provision.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by JosephXavier: 6:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
Gamesmart:

So well said!

Feminism is about selfishness!

It's about entitlement mentality

I should have what I didn't work for

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Reference(m): 6:07pm On Mar 02, 2022
Shegzdave:

Hahaha.... this is Nigeria's Washington DC.... so we enjoy certain peculiarities.
Endless traffic whenever Mr. President is headed for the airport.... and even bus terminal (last week).
Sirens, more sirens and mindless road rage by so called VIP's...
And of course Protests... by every one from hungry activists and enraged Legislative Aides to the Association of Tailors and Seamstresses protesting against epileptic power supply.... e no dey finish.
One day, one wahala.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by thinkmoney(m): 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2022
lalasticlala:
As shared by journalist and LagosTalks913 OAP Michelle Agoh:

https://twitter.com/Michelleagoh/status/1499002834360193028?t=lbQvmGK__JNP8LqpZ0q0cg&s=08
I from reason, balance and logic on support the number 2 bill to allow women indegeneity of their husbands state and number 6 that will allow Nigerians abroad to vote.
That number 6 especially will upset the many ignorant illiterates and street urchins that politicians use for votes.
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by BRATISLAVA: 6:25pm On Mar 02, 2022
paramboos:
So being a woman is now a qualification? Nawaoo!! Maybe Bobrisky was right after all..

But, hypothetically, when you're a black man in Poland or Australia and capable of performing a task, you would want to be given a chance despite your color, not so? They wouldn't need to stop racism, would they?

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Premiumwriter: 6:28pm On Mar 02, 2022
cesibe9904:
The guys in the national assembly should cut women some slack.
why don't you grab a knife and cut some for them?

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by BRATISLAVA: 6:28pm On Mar 02, 2022
JosephXavier:

When you have daughters you will finally gain deep understanding of what they are protesting about following the decisions of the Senate and House of Representatives.

Right now, it's a chance for you to put misogyny before the real issue they are coming out against.

2 Likes

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 6:29pm On Mar 02, 2022
JosephXavier:

Damn right!
Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 6:31pm On Mar 02, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

When you have daughters you will finally gain deep understanding of what they are protesting about following the decisions of the Senate and House of Representatives.

Right now, it's a chance for you to put misogyny before the real issue they are coming out against.

Simp, we should get our daughters to be able to compete if they want something. Not demand it should be given to them because they have a hole between their legs.

1 Like

Re: Women In Abuja Protest Against National Assembly's Misogynistic Agenda (Photos) by Gamesmart: 6:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
flokii:
There is no where in the constitution saying women can't contest and win elections so what is their problem? if you feel you're fit to run, campaign and win like the men and not just sit somewhere and be expecting seats handed to you on a platter of gold because you're a female.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2023: Ognonnaya Onu Declares For President / I’m Under Pressure Over Buhari’s Cabinet - Joda / Panel To Probe Amaechi Begins Sitting In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.