Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,640 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A (263 Views)

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money / Meet Emem Thomas, The Founder Of A Female Bouncers Group In Akwa-ibom / My Journey Into Yahoo Plus, How It All Started In Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A by NigeriaAbroad: 11:23am On Mar 03, 2022
Founder of Mums in Tech is a big name in the UK, but her story started in Yaba at 17.

When I was five and living in a neighbourhood called Yaba in Nigeria, I broke my arm at a summer camp.

Through my tears, the teacher asked me where I lived, but I didn’t know my address – I only knew where my mum worked. It was a place called Domino Stores, which is one of the longest-standing supermarket chains in Nigeria.

I was at her work so often that everyone in the office and local supermarket knew me.  I believe this entrepreneurial spirit is what has shaped the rest of my life – including recently receiving  an MBE for services to women in tech.

Growing up, I watched my grandparents, my mum and her siblings work hard to build their businesses and provide for us. They taught me a lot about discipline, learning and treating people fairly.

Nigerians are big on academia, so I came to the UK aged 17 to study for my A-Levels. I’m really proud to have both Nigerian and British heritage. My grandparents were Scottish and Nigerian and I feel very connected to both countries.

Staying with family made adapting to life in the UK easier, but the biggest change for me was the weather – it’s still something I’m trying to adapt to and I’m 37 years old now. I found a love of learning and spent a lot of that time reading books outside of my studies, because I was so curious.

Since those early days in the UK, I’ve become a mum-of-three (my children are nine, six and four). But after returning from my first maternity leave when I worked at Silicon Valley Bank, I had a lot of brain fog or ‘baby brain’ as some people call it. It wasn’t easy to slot back in to work and that left me feeling very low in confidence. 

So, when I had my second child, I wanted to make sure that I had a better balance and felt confident in myself and my career. I had to have an emergency C-section during my second pregnancy and while recovering from the operation, as well as being on maternity leave, it gave me a lot of time to think.

I wanted to try my hand at building an app, so that I could have a better insight for the tech entrepreneurs I was working with as part of my job. So I decided to sign up for coding classes online while I was on my second maternity leave. I had to fit it around feeding my baby daughter, naps and looking after my toddler too.

It wasn’t easy, but it was so rewarding to learn something new each day. As the course went on, I started thinking it would be nice to learn in a classroom so I could speak to someone in-person for any questions.

At that time, there weren’t any classes I could take a baby to, so I had a wild idea to create a coding school for mums...Click on the link below to read the rest of the article.

https://nigeriabroad.com/-founder-of-mums-in-tech-is-a-big-name-in-the-uk--but-her-story-started-in-yaba-at-17

mukina2, 1forall, CrazyMan

(1) (Reply)

When Your Family Thinks You Are Lazy. / Anybody With Community Management With Blockchain/crypto Experience? / Learn A Language Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.