Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Is Seafood Halaal? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Seafood Halaal? (7498 Views)

Prayer Before Halaal Intercouse / Intimacy gadget And Masturbation: Halaal Or Haram? / Prayer Before Halaal Sexual Intercourse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Seafood Halaal? by Lukgaf(m): 7:57am On Mar 04, 2022
Among the blessings that Allah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maidah 5:96]. Ibn 'Abbas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’amuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

1- Crocodiles: The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

2- Frogs: It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadith of ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn ‘Uthman, who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imam Ahmad and Ibn Majah; see also Sahih al-Jami’, 6970).

The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the ayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maidah 5:96]

3- Otters and turtles: The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea.

Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195]

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Hashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafsir Ibn Kathir, 3/197; and Ahkam al-At’imah by al-Fawzan).

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1919/is-all-seafood-halal

10 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 04, 2022
barakallahu fik

7 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by mummyson26(m): 12:02pm On Mar 04, 2022
May Allah reward ur knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by olokeluv(m): 12:03pm On Mar 04, 2022
Aliamdulilai

1 Like

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by rajiedreez: 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2022
It is
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Oricha79(m): 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2022
Yes
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Nova1988(m): 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2022
It's nice to see that the reason we're not allowed to eat some is because Allah said they should not be killed and if you notice some of them are endangered species.

Islam loves and protects animals! grin

Funflipper:

"The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it."

What about the socalled infidels (our fellow human beings)? Are we allowed to eat them as well after killing them? If not, why does the quran encourage us to kill our fellow humans we won't eat? is that fair to humanity?

I don't know why you guys choose to be ignorant, the infidels that is in the Qur'an are the meccan idol worshippers who were at war with prophet Muhammad SAW and his people. Prophet Muhammad SAW and his people had to leave Mecca and go to Madina to avoid any conflict but the meccans still followed them. So you expect prophet Muhammad SAW and his people to sit and watch while the meccan idol worshippers kill them all in the name of humanity? I guess not! And btw there are verses In the Bible where killing non believers were encouraged, Deuteronomy 17 tells believers that come across non believers(and I quote) "bring that man or woman to the gates of the city....and stone them with stones until they die"? or in psalm 137 which states "blessed is he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rock"? is this also fair to humanity?

2 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Kazeem47(m): 12:11pm On Mar 04, 2022
Masha Allah. Jazakallahu khairan

2 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by bahdpersona(m): 12:14pm On Mar 04, 2022
Praise to allah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by seyicodes(m): 12:17pm On Mar 04, 2022
Dead or alive .. it is Halal. As long as Allah and Rosululah approve it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by DeepSight(m): 12:17pm On Mar 04, 2022
Lukgaf:
Among the blessings that Allah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maidah 5:96]. Ibn 'Abbas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’amuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1919/is-all-seafood-halal

Lukgaf I am still awaiting your thread on the scholarly treatment of honor killings.
Do not run away from it, you promised.
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by motayoayinde: 12:18pm On Mar 04, 2022
xayoj:
Sea food is not halaal

SAYS WHO?

1 Like

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Emu4life(m): 12:19pm On Mar 04, 2022
Funflipper:

"The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it."

What about the socalled infidels (our fellow human beings)? Are we allowed to eat them as well after killing them? If not, why does the quran encourage us to kill our fellow humans we won't eat? is that fair to humanity?
Infidels are killed in self defense. When they mean to harm you and you have to defend yourself. Not only infidels, anyone, anything that can claim someone's life.
Anything other than that is wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Lukgaf(m): 12:36pm On Mar 04, 2022
DeepSight:

Lukgaf I am still awaiting your thread on the scholarly treatment of honor killings.

I did mention you on the thread sir
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Femiwilli: 12:49pm On Mar 04, 2022
What you eat can't defile you, it's ur deeds like beheading Christians that defile

Mar 7:15
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

3 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Southernigbo: 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2022
some ppl find eating of man eaters( snakes and crocs) a delicacy
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Southernigbo: 12:58pm On Mar 04, 2022
DeepSight:

there is no any honor killing in Islam. However some tribal and cultural entities who may have become muslims still practise such bad cultures but Islam did not allow such

4 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by yomislim: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2022
I am actually a Muslim, not really a practicing one though

but there are actually contradiction, that I find myself questioning.

it is said that, any animal that is not slaughtered in the name of Allah is forbidden to eat

I want to ask, is bushmeat meat caught in trap a haram or halal?

also the likes of sea food, that are caught and died by themself, without slaughtering... expecially fish!!

please answer this? no pun intended,just to learn.
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by Pharaohny: 7:41pm On Mar 04, 2022
yomislim:

it is said that, any animal that is not slaughtered in the name of Allah is forbidden to eat

Someone should answer this pls

also the likes of sea food, that are caught and died by themself, without slaughtering... expecially fish!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by thatsleepboy1: 8:45pm On Mar 04, 2022
yomislim:

Brother, you're a Muslim but I'll like you to read these books and see how allah has deceived so many pple.

1. Islam Reviewed (written by a northern Nigerian Muslim)
2. Deception of allah
3. Quran and Science in depth

Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala said:
"And the disbelievers deceived, but Allah deceived. And Allah is the best of deceivers."
(QS. Aal-i-Imraan 3: Verse 54)

CC vannessa7 advocatejare antichristian

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by AntiChristian: 8:36am On Mar 05, 2022
thatsleepboy1:

Brother, you're a Muslim but I'll like you to read these books and see how allah has deceived so many pple.

2. Deception of allah

CC vannessa7 advocatejare antichristian

Abeg no dey mention me with this kind stupidity!
Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by advocatejare(m): 7:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
thatsleepboy1:

2. Deception of allah

CC vannessa7 advocate jare antichristian
Vannessa7 and Antichristian will run away from those books, they would rather follow Allah the Al-makireena the best of the deceivers!

3 Likes

Re: Is Seafood Halaal? by zoer(m): 3:56pm On Mar 22, 2022
"The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it"

Are you allowed to eat a Christian when you kill one?...So prophet Mohammed asked you guys to kill a non-believer and eat us abi?

Continue

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Over After A Life Of Sins / Archbishop Of Canterbury Visits Emir Of Kano In London / Eid-ul-fitr; A Unique Festival Time Of Joy For Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.