Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil (2118 Views)

5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language / Brazil adopts Yoruba as official language - Lekkigists / Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi, Dressed Casually To An Official Function (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by IgweOfNnewi: 6:14pm On Mar 04, 2022
ADAOBI ONYEAKAGBU

Brazil’s minister of culture has announced that Yoruba will become one of their official languages and African history will be added school curriculum.

Brazil has accumulated quite a number of Yoruba speakers and Orisha worshippers.

The African slaves from the west, carried along their Yoruba religion with them when they were brought to Brazil. This religion is referred to as Candomblé by Afro-Brazilians — a religion that seeks harmony with nature. This culture and religion is still very much relevant and gave birth to the Òrìsà-worshipping and Yoruba-speaking people of Brazil.
Last week at AYO, after a national meeting of African-Brazilian storytellers, It was alleged that the Brazilian minister of culture, Dr Sérgio Sá leitão announced that Yoruba is now one of their official languages and language and African History will be introduced as a compulsory subject in primary and secondary schools curriculum. However, the Brazilian Ministry of Culture has denied this and will keep us updated on further changes.
In attendance of this meeting, in Quilombola, were big names such as renowned Professor Wole Soyinka , Dr . Sophie Oluwole , the first female PhD holder in Yoruba Philosophy, and painter and illustrator
Adeyinka Olaiya.
If this move is made, it will do well in bringing Afro-Brazilians closer to their roots and help them better understand the link between the current Brazilian practices and Western Yoruba cultures.
Other Countries that speak Nigerian Languages
Due to many reasons — trans-atlantic slave trade, cattle grazing, immigration — small communities have grown in other countries where some Nigerian languages are actually spoken. Brazil is not the only country that has Yoruba as their official language, excluding Nigeria. Outside Nigeria, you can find large yoruba-speaking communities in Togo and Benin Republic. Smaller communities can be found in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other African countries. In these countries, French is the lingua-franca but perchance you can't speak it, Yoruba is your next best option.
In Ghana, there is a growing Hausa community and in Equatorial Guinea, Igbo is recognised as a minority tribe with about 53,000 speakers.
https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/yoruba-is-allegedly-an-official-language-in-brazil/rdnkyxr?utm_source=facebook+&utm_medium=social+

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by Kwashiman: 6:16pm On Mar 04, 2022
Your article no get source?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by thesicilian: 6:19pm On Mar 04, 2022
Define official
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:20pm On Mar 04, 2022
Very good

Yoruba L'agba

Hope this development won't give some people Ipayinkeke

16 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by puremaker7(m): 6:20pm On Mar 04, 2022
Yoruba amaka

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by Jackanda1(m): 6:20pm On Mar 04, 2022
I hope to marry a Yoruba woman one day. I just love their language, confidence and intelligence plus their woman dey get strong head.

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by OBALOLA55(m): 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2022
grin

SAUCELESS SOUP
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by kollinzgee(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2022
Who dash una..
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by OBALOLA55(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2022
helinues:
Very good

Yoruba L'agba

HELINUES THE ACHALUGONWA HUSBAND grin

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2022
puremaker7:
Yoruba amaka Lagba

I take God beg you, no dey relate Yoruba with Amaka, abi no be same Amaka wey dey disappoint anyhow

Yoruba L'agba jo

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2022
OBALOLA55:

See if you make any attempt of derailing this thread, I wont hesitate to report you to mods

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by jcross19: 6:25pm On Mar 04, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
ADAOBI ONYEAKAGBU

Brazil’s minister of culture has announced that Yoruba will become one of their official languages and African history will be added school curriculum.

Brazil has accumulated quite a number of Yoruba speakers and Orisha worshippers.

lol official language? So you mean that you have sense? Receive sense in Jesus name...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by Lattop1(m): 6:26pm On Mar 04, 2022
Yoruba to the World

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by OBALOLA55(m): 6:26pm On Mar 04, 2022
helinues:

See if you make any attempt of derailing this thread, I wont hesitate to report you to mods
CHECK YOUR PREVIOUS MESSAGE BEFORE YOU DO THAT
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by illicit(m): 6:26pm On Mar 04, 2022
Walk4brazil4k
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:27pm On Mar 04, 2022
jcross19:
lol official language? So you mean that you have sense? Receive sense in Jesus name...

How i wish Jesus could send you millions of it as you lack it

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by Frigga13: 6:29pm On Mar 04, 2022
Yoruba people sef

See as the open thread to deceive themselves

Person say language WILL become.. YORUBA TWIST AM TO “HAS” become grin

Yoruba can twist anything twistaabke .. Yoruba hate the reality.. they live whining themselves with their propaganda

Na so yoruba said IGBOHO will be release today

Na so dem make all mouth

IGBOHO still Dey Cotonou jail..

Yoruba eh kwa

You never know this people

Abeg when Tinubu Dey declare Na March we Dey

Yoruba sef
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by LeoDeKing: 6:30pm On Mar 04, 2022
helinues:
Very good

Yoruba L'agba

It won't give us any headache.

Igbo language is the official language in many places in Nigeria.

I won't mention the places.

Pls note, I didn't mention anywhere oh.

I know some will start thinking I'm talking about brothels. Noooooo.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by PrinceOfLagos: 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2022
OBALOLA55:

Lol grin cheesy grin
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:33pm On Mar 04, 2022
LeoDeKing:

It won't give us any headache.

Igbo language is the official language in many places in Nigeria.

I won't mention the places.

Pls note, I didn't mention anywhere oh.

I know some will start thinking I'm talking about brothels. Noooooo.

This news sweet my belle for a particular reason

Yoruba language is adopted in Brazil as one of the official language while some people'e official language has been adopted in different prisons across the world

God bless South West states

God bless Yoruba's globally for representing well anywhere dey go

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by WonderManly(m): 6:38pm On Mar 04, 2022
Hain!..

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by IgweOfNnewi: 6:40pm On Mar 04, 2022
Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by IgweOfNnewi: 6:46pm On Mar 04, 2022
jcross19:
See bitterness and hatred,

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by helinues: 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
See bitterness and hatred,

Those people have been using both to soak Akamu tipe tipe

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by Sergio104(m): 7:09pm On Mar 04, 2022
Lol.

Inferiority complex dey worry some puerile nitwits so much Sha.

who dash them "official language"??.

Attacheeeeee!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by BSsniffer: 7:15pm On Mar 04, 2022
What would be really nice is having a Yoruba Brazilian president and a Yoruba president in Benin republic and Yoruba law makers in Brazil and Benin..... pushing the Yoruba interest. All these one really doesn't mean much.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by IgweOfNnewi: 7:21pm On Mar 04, 2022
helinues:

Those people have been using both to soak Akamu tipe tipe

Re: Yoruba Is An Official Language In Brazil by IgweOfNnewi: 7:23pm On Mar 04, 2022
Frigga13:
Yoruba people sef

See as the open thread to deceive themselves

Person say language WILL become.. YORUBA TWIST AM TO “HAS” become grin

Yoruba can twist anything twistaabke .. Yoruba hate the reality.. they live whining themselves with their propaganda

Na so yoruba said IGBOHO will be release today

Na so dem make all mouth

IGBOHO still Dey Cotonou jail..

Yoruba eh kwa

You never know this people

Abeg when Tinubu Dey declare Na March we Dey

Yoruba sef

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

True Or False: Women Being Harassed For Wearing Trousers / House Guests From Hell! / Are Ceiling Fans Going Extinct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.