Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! (3497 Views)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / A Must-read For Young Igbos Who Are About To Start Off Their Families / The Language Of Talking Drums In Yoruba Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:11pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

You should be focused about speaking only English being the difference between an average Yoruba and those born in Lagos Island.

The Yoruba's left the English language speaking to the school, teachers but at home and community, is something you must understand even if not residing in Nigeria .

Take music for example, Igbo artist can incorporate Igbo language into different genre of music just as Phyno is doing.

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 4:11pm On Mar 05, 2022
rdokoye:

Well, they need to come to terms with the reality, that Yoruba is not a nation, Nigeria is, and it's multi-ethnic and multicultural. And as long as it exists as a nation, there will be a toll, on all ethnic groups that live within its borders. If Biafra comes into being, then you can talk about these things, but for now, you're speaking in direct contradiction with reality.

Nigeria is not a nation,anybody calling Nigeria a nation it is a stark illiterate.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
Igboid:
I have relatives born and raised in USA who speak impeccable Igbo.

I think it's more of a problem with Igbos raised in non Igbo parts of NIGERIA than Igbos in outside NIGERIA.
I discuss with my cousin (2nd generation in England) in Igbo. He detests speaking English with his Igbo relatives.

So I don't see any single excuse here.

4 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:
I don't see any reason for this thread. The sad reality is that the few that can't speak Igbo because they were born in ordinary Lagos are even grave minority compared to those born within that Lagos that can speak Igbo.

I have noticed that most Efulefus like to make their personal problem a national one. The fact that you personally can't speak Igbo because you were born in Lagos doesn't mean that you should broadcast something that you should be ashamed of as of it affects others who can speak the language.

If I am to rate the ratio of those born in Lagos that can speak Igbo to those born in that same lagos that can't, I will say that it is 15:1 in Igbo favour.

If you doubt it, create another thread to ascertain the ratio, then you will find out why I say that those that cannot speak Igbo should just keep quiet and get lost.

They made their choice

Also Igbos tend to band together.
In the sense that we look for a particular part of foreign city we find ourselves in and form an Igbo community there where all your neighbors would be Igbo and you could hear Igbo being spoken even in the streets.

I think it's not actually a problem.
It's being exaggerated.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

I discuss with my cousin (2nd generation in England) in Igbo. He detests speaking English with his Igbo relatives.

So I don't see any single excuse here.

Exactly.
This is my experience too.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:16pm On Mar 05, 2022
Igboid:

Also Igbos tend to band together.
In the sense that we look for a particular part of foreign city we find ourselves in and form an Igbo community there where all your neighbors would be Igbo and you could hear Igbo being spoken even in the streets.

I think it's not actually a problem.
It's being exaggerated.
I remember when I stayed in that their Lagos, the lingua Franca in all the neighbourhood my people stay and do business is Igbo so I don't understand the OP.

Lagos is not an excuse. We know of Igbo communities in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, Cambodia, China etc, so where is the excuse?

Ordinary Lagos? The same Lagos that Yorubas are complaining of Igbo domination?
The same Lagos a priest banned Igbo gospel songs in his parish?

Mtcheww... I don't understand some people.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by juman(m): 4:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
Op raised valid point.
It happen in all tribes.
Local languages should be encouraged.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:21pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

The Yoruba's left the English language speaking to the school, teachers but at home and community, is something you must understand even if not residing in Nigeria .

Take music for example, Igbo artist can incorporate Igbo language into different genre of music just as Phyno is doing.
In other words, you have accepted English language as the only language of the modern Yoruba Upper class in Lagos.

I didn't expect less of an Afonja. Unlike your people, our own tackle any issue when it is still growing.
As for this thread, it is only an exaggeration. There is no cause for alarm.
The very few that decided not to learn Igbo in Lagos did so out of their own free will. They are just passing blames in their adult hood after they realised that Igboland don't give a fvck about them. They are known as Efulefu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:23pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

I remember when I stayed in that their Lagos, the lingua Franca in all the neighbourhood my people stay and do business is Igbo so I don't understand the OP.

Lagos is not an excuse. We know of Igbo communities in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, Cambodia, China etc, so where is the excuse?

Very stupid topic.
Even in the North, Igbos form a very close community and make it difficult for a non Igbo to live in such neighborhood through high price of real estate in such area.
Non Igbos know they could get same land in different area of the state for half the price being demanded from them in Igbo dominated area.

Not being able to speak Igbo is a personal/family problem and not a societal problem for Igbos.
Any Igbo man who is unfortunate to have come from such a family should work hard individually to learn Igbo language and stop generalizing the issue.
Igbo is spoken in alaba, Computer village and all major markets in Lagos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:24pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

You are not addressing the issue apart from shifting goal post.

In all tribes in Nigeria, to my best of understanding oo, Igbo's are the ones who speak less of their local dialect even when they are within each other.

The Igbo parents have neglected teaching their wards local dialect which is making the situation detoriating yearly.

I have lived amongst Igbo's before, except people from the same state,town or community, if Igbo's of different community or state converge together, they hardly speak local dialect but English. It's something I have also observed for quite some time

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

In all tribes in Nigeria, to my best of understanding oo, Igbo's are the ones who speak less of their local dialect even when they are within each other.

The Igbo parents have neglected teaching their wards local dialect which is making the situation detoriating yearly.

I have lived amongst Igbo's before, except people from the same state,town or community, if Igbo's of different community or state converge together, they hardly speak local dialect but English. It's something I have also observed for quite some time
If your ascertion is true why did the Priest in Lagos ban Igbo worship songs in his church?
Remember he also claimed to have done the same in Bini.

Your answer please?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

In other words, you have accepted English language as the only language of the modern Yoruba Upper class in Lagos.

I didn't expect less of an Afonja. Unlike your people, our own tackle any issue when it is still growing.
As for this thread, it is only an exaggeration. There is no cause for alarm.
The very few that decided not to learn Igbo in Lagos did so out of their own free will. They are just passing blames in their adult hood after they realised that Igboland don't give a fvck about them. They are known as Efulefu

See, don't make this discussion tribalistic cos this thread is a sincere thread .

Why are Igbo's local dialects are fading away?
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:27pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

See, don't make this discussion tribalistic cos this thread is a sincere thread .

Why are Igbo's local dialects are fading away?
Answer my question in the other comment.
One thing is to start a propaganda, another is to back it up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

If your ascertion is true why did the Priest in Lagos ban Igbo worship songs in his church?
Remember he also claimed to have done the same in Bini.

Your answer please?

To answer your question, only the priest can give satisfactory reason why he banned Igbo worship songs in his branch.. Not in any position to answer that as I ain't fan of any religion..

But I know such kind of thing shouldn't have happened in any religious place.. That's simply discrimination
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

This is not true.
Igbos naturally would like to carry a non Igbo in their midst along.
So when an Igbo meet a fellow Igbo, and there are non Igbos in their midst, he wouldn't want to make the non Igbo to feel left out by switching to Igbo language to communicate with his fellow Igbo.
He will ensure that he keeps the language in English so as to carry the non Igbo person along.

A typical Yoruba doesn't have this social intelligence.
I lived in Yorubaland for 2yrs plus and I can't count how many times they switched to Yoruba language once they meet each other, leaving me in the cold and not giving a f.uck about how I feel.
An Igbo is proud of his language but would never do such.
And this is what some of you translate to Igbos not being proud of their language.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Totilopussylick(m): 4:29pm On Mar 05, 2022
Ojiofor:

That is not the problem because if you can speak your local dialect then that means you speak igbo language.
it make it hard to speak the general Igbo language because of local dialect.

A lot of Igbo local government in Igbo states have different dialect.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:30pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

To answer your question, only the priest can give satisfactory reason why he banned Igbo worship songs in his branch.. Not in any position to answer that as I ain't fan of any religion..

For the Igbo worship song to be too much for a foreigner to handle in Lagos shows how much Ndigbo hold their language outside Igbo land, especially in Lagos.

Fun fact, Tekno and Psquare didn't grow up in Igboland.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:31pm On Mar 05, 2022
Igboid:

This is not true.
Igbos naturally would like to carry a non Igbo in their midst along.
So when an Igbo meet a fellow Igbo, and there are non Igbos in their midst, he wouldn't want to make the non Igbo to feel left out by switching to Igbo language to communicate with his fellow Igbo.
He will ensure that he keeps the language in English so as to carry the non Igbo person along.

A typical Yoruba doesn't have this social intelligence.
I lived in Yorubaland for 2yrs plus and I can't count how many times they switched to Yoruba language once they meet each other, leaving me in the cold and not giving a f.uck about how I feel.
An Igbo is proud of his language but would never do such.
And this is what some of you translate to Igbos not being proud of their language.

if Igbo's of different community or state converge together, they hardly speak local dialect but English.

Don't let me talk about the inferiority complex within discussion within Igbo's from different community or state..

So I know what I am talking about
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:33pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

Don't let me talk about the inferiority complex within discussion within Igbo's from different community or state..

So I know what I am talking about

You are not Igbo and so couldn't have been in an Igbo only gathering before.
All Igbo town unions scattered all over Nigeria conduct their business and proceedings not just in Igbo Language but in their specific Igbo dialect.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

For the Igbo worship song to be too much for a foreigner to handle in Lagos shows how much Ndigbo hold their language outside Igbo land, especially in Lagos.

Fun fact, Tekno and Psquare didn't grow up in Igboland.

The Igbo worship song is globally, most especially the chosen generation song that is even been played at club self.

Talking about Psquare, Teckno, are you saying they do not understand Igbo local dialect? Why is hard for them to incorporate Igbo local dialects into their music?

Imagine if there are 10's of Phyno Injecting Igbo local dialects into their music with consistency.. People would be encouraged to learn it

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:38pm On Mar 05, 2022
Igboid:

You are not Igbo and so couldn't have been in an Igbo only gathering before.
All Igbo town unions scattered all over Nigeria conduct their business and proceedings not just in Igbo Language but in their specific Igbo dialect.

Oya , let me burst your bubble, I remember there was a Yoruba guy who often come around, up till today, the guy still believe I am an Igbo cos we all speak English together like Igbo's, I even learned some terms which I sometimes use when talking, Oo di o la la..

Can't even count how many parties we attended together.

I know what I am talking about..
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

The Igbo worship song is globally, most especially the chosen generation song that is even been played at club self.

Talking about Psquare, Teckno, are you saying they do not understand Igbo local dialect? Why is hard for them to incorporate Igbo local dialects into their music?

Imagine if there are 10's of Phyno Injecting Igbo local dialects into their music with consistency.. People would be encouraged to learn it
Psquare and Tekno are two examples that being born outside Igboland is not an excuse because they were born at extreme ends of the contraption.

Secondly if there was an element of truth in what you people are saying, you wouldn't be worried about Igbo taking over lagos.

It is quite funny how you people like deceiving yourselves like your fake statistics in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Skooltynz: 4:40pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

Helinues minister of igbo affairs... grin
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

Psquare and Tekno are two examples that being born outside Igboland is not an excuse because they were born at extreme ends of the contraption.

Secondly if there was an element of truth in what you people are saying, you wouldn't be worried about Igbo taking over lagos.

It is quite funny how you people like deceiving yourselves like your fake statistics in Nigeria.

Laughing hysterically @ emboldened...

If Lagos or other SW states are not already developed, your people won't be coming. And if you people relocate back to your region, that won't still stop the development of SW states.

It's only derision which is just to massage egos of some people.. We have no issue with that as long that makes them sleep better at night.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

Tekno has Igbo in his nah.
"Nwanyiom nwanyiom a, I na agbakam ishi!"
That's a lyric in his hit song "Pana".

Psquare?
He sang "Ifunanya", and constantly inputs Igbo like "E don happy happen, obele ego" etc in their songs.

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2022
Skooltynz:

Helinues minister of igbo affairs... grin

I meant no harm on this thread..
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

Laughing hysterically...

If Lagos or other SW states are not already developed, your people won't be coming. And if you people relocate back to your region, that won't still stop the development of SW states.

It's only derision which is just to massage egos of some people.. We have no issue with that as long that makes them sleep better at night.
It is quite interesting that you are overwhelmed by the few Igbo you see in Lagos. Probably because you are threatened.

Well your concern shouldn't be about the number of Ndigbo in Lagos but the number of Yorubas left in their ancestral Yoruba states. Of all the regions in Nigeria, we know the one that looks abandoned with no remittance or anything. Just abandoned for herdsmen to graze freely.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2022
Igboid:

Tekno has Igbo in his nah.
"Nwanyiom nwanyiom a, I na agbakam ishi!"
That's a lyric in his hit song "Pana".

Psquare?
He sang "Ifunanya", and constantly inputs Igbo like "E don happy happen, obele ego" etc in their songs.

I am not saying they are not making use of Igbo dialects at all but you can't compared it with let say Wizkid which In almost in all his songs, there must be a new Yoruba words/terms .

Both of them have also used Yoruba words in their music nwhich are also popular and trend.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

It is quite interesting that you are overwhelmed by the few Igbo you see in Lagos. Probably because you are threatened.

Well your concern shouldn't be about the number of Ndigbo in Lagos but the number of Yorubas left in their ancestral Yoruba states. Of all the regions in Nigeria, we know the one that looks abandoned with no remittance or anything. Just abandoned for herdsmen to graze freely.

@ emboldened again, my experience no be even for Nigeria self..

So I didn't read the rest.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:47pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

I am not saying they are not making use of Igbo dialects at all but you can't compared it with let say Wizkid which In almost all his songs, there must be a new Yoruba words/terms .

Both of them have also used Yoruba words in their music nwhich are also popular and trend.
Wizkid is old generation. Yorubas problem right now is having their middle class and upper class that live in Lagos speak Yoruba.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

@ emboldened again, my experience no be even for Nigeria self..

So I didn't read the rest.
Lazy to read? What a black stereotype.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:49pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

Wizkid is old generation. Yorubas problem right now is having their middle class and upper class that live in Lagos speak Yoruba.

I have actually been struggling with your arguments, more like they have no basis.

Wizkid is old generation at what age? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos Of New Ooni Of Ife Receiving The Oranmiyan's Sword / Casino Refuses To Pay Man 1.7 Billion Naira Which He Won / Yoruba Is Now An Official Language In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.