Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,406 members, 7,853,796 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 01:25 AM

Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria (47438 Views)

Japa: Nigerians Seeking Treatment May Soon Be Left With Native Doctors – Mimiko / Lawal Daura Will Soon Say He Is Not Aware Of Sack.....Nigerians Can Predicts APC / We’re Still In APC But May Defect Soon, Say Shehu Sani, Hunkuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by virginchaser(m): 10:20am On Mar 06, 2022
I still can't understand why Tinubu wasn't there. People should live this roforofo fight and brain storm on how to move this country forward. If the best guy is an international igbo woman or international yoruba man giving loans to African countries. They better bring them and persuade the populace to vote for them. They know how they use to do it.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by pacespot(m): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2022
Oduduwa707:
ONLY if this druggie pretender becomes President.

cheesy grin

Where una dey see this kind picture to give narrative?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Trustedpronet: 10:36am On Mar 06, 2022
Ceenachi:
You had every opportunity to re-write the destiny of Nigeria during your administration but you worsened it with your ill mentality and wicked agenda

Billions spent on Electricity
Forceful and undemocratic impeachment
Using EFCC to harass perceived political opponents
Disobedience of lawful court orders including supreme court
Brazen rigging of elections
Culture of violence during elections
Etc etc etc etc

You were also the one that brought do or die affairs into nigerian politics and you also introduce money bag into nigerian politics as well

It's not as easy as you wrote here. Leadership in Nigeria is hell
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by efficiencie(m): 10:37am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

My friend , get your facts right.
I'm not sure hold you are, and unfortunately, the teaching of history is a taboo in this country.
Since 1983 when some criminal soldiers arm-robbed their way into power, Nigeria was thrust into a trajectory desolation. Please go back and study the state of the nation in 1999 prior to the coming of OBJ. It was as confusing and hopeless as it is today.
The OBJ era, looking at it from where Nigeria was and where Nigeria is today, was undoubtedly The GOLDEN ERA of leadership and governance in Nigeria ( going by the standards we have seen in our lifetime). Put your APC vs PDP sentiments aside. In my lifetime, it was the only era that middle class ( the standard measure of progress) expanded considerably . OBJ reorganized governance and established templates and standards for efficient governance going Forward.

What is this one saying. Golden era ko plastic era ni. Obj's regime was so corrupt that even his EFCC chief then confessed that the Obj regime was extremely corrupt. More corrupt that Abacha's ([url=https://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/corruption-obasanjo%E2%80%99s-eight-years-worse-than-abachas-ribadu/amp/]source[/url])

You said the middle class expanded considerably, how? Expanded in poverty? According to the CIA Factbook more than 70% of Nigerians lived below the poverty line in 2007 when Obj ended his brutal reign of economic and political terror (cited in source ). So tell me where you got your facts about the expansion of middle class? Despite 8 years of supposed reforms and oil revenue as at 2007 Nigeria still did not have what it took to withstand the shock from the financial crisis. While countries like China were able to buffer the crisis conveniently.

Where did all the oil money go? According to the Vanguard, "a breakdown of the earnings showed that from 1999 to 2003, the country’s gross earnings stood at N7.329 trillion, while net oil revenue stood at N4.713 trillion; gross oil revenue and net oil revenue from 2004 to 2007 stood at N17.868 trillion and N9.561 trillion respectively" (Source). Where did all the trillions of naira in earnings go. They were squandered by the Obj regime while NLC, ASUU, TUC and NUJ were all striking and while students were doing a 4 year course for 5 years and while ordinary Nigerians were struggling to make ends meet. Now this old fool has the enfrontery to lecture us on corruption when he himself is the grand daddy of corruption in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by emmykk(m): 10:40am On Mar 06, 2022
Bobloco:
Obasanjo said, “I cast a cursory look at some of the people running around and those for whom people are running around. If EFCC and ICPC will have done their jobs properly and supported adequately by the judiciary, most of them would be in jail.

I guess he is referring to Ganduje and irabiji bullion van criminal
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by micflo28(m): 10:44am On Mar 06, 2022
aremuforlife:
Baba Obasanjo may not be referring to the person many of the above nairalanders thought. Tinubu was probed by the then opposition party and nothing criminating was found on him.
Leave Tinubu alone and start camping for your aspirants.
same as nothing incriminating was found on Orji Uzor Kalu,Atiku, Rochas okorocha and Rotimi Amaechi who all walk freely today. Zombie, this are the words that made these men more powerful than a nation that cannot be made to serve the punishment from their corrupt deeds.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by pacespot(m): 10:48am On Mar 06, 2022
I think people don't kill politicians too often in this country as they should. When you look at Nigeria from other aspects: culture, music, creativity, talents, tech, diaspora, etc, everything looks great until you look at the government. Nigeria is being governed by the people who don't understand the dynamics of what make Nigerians great in other aspects of life as I mentioned above. The political culture and mentality of those who are ruling Nigeria are no different from people who are ruling countries such as Niger Republic, Gambia, Mali, Sudan, Gabon, etc. So they have been able to translate their barbaric culture of having no regards for other things in life except their faith into Nigerian governance. Even though they know that their leadership failure has encumbered this country, they won't still tow the line of diplomacy to resolve the conflicts with others, because that is against their religion doctrine which seeks to conquer people. People might not understand it yet, but Nigeria is like a colony to these Arabs wannabes called Fulanis who seem to have taken control of our military.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Babastrong(m): 10:59am On Mar 06, 2022
Yeyenetu!
1. the first man that turned nigeria election to "do or die"
2. The first man that refused to yield the advice of mandela.
3. The man that spent 16billions on nigeria electricity then nothing to write home.
belief this man at your own peril.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Gamesmart: 11:13am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

I'm not sure hold you are, and unfortunately, the teaching of history is a taboo in this country.
Since 1983 when some criminal soldiers arm-robbed their way into power, Nigeria was thrust into a trajectory desolation. Please go back and study the state of the nation in 1999 prior to the coming of OBJ. It was as confusing and hopeless as it is today.
The OBJ era, looking at it from where Nigeria was and where Nigeria is today, was undoubtedly The GOLDEN ERA of leadership and governance in Nigeria ( going by the standards we have seen in our lifetime). Put your APC vs PDP sentiments aside. In my lifetime, it was the only era that middle class ( the standard measure of progress) expanded considerably . OBJ reorganized governance and established templates and standards for efficient governance going Forward.

Your head is very correct!

Gbosa for you!
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2022
Who Cares, Wetin Concern Me. Nonsense.....
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2022
Trustedpronet:

It's not as easy as you wrote here. Leadership in Nigeria is hell

Maybe so but OBJ did not have to do many of the negative and wicked things he did. Why, for example, was he seeking a third term. Knowing that may lead to a military coup that would destroy our nascent democracy at the time?

Face it. The man is selfish, machiavellian and a megalomaniac. He continues to talk hypocritically today because he assumes, correctly I must say, that most Nigerians have forgotten the type of President he was.

Any Nigerian President who does not change the fundamental structure of Nigerian governance, so we can all build from our State and regional base, free of encumbrance from the worthless centre, is a failure.

OBJ believed in an unworkable Nigeria where virtually all the power and authority to transform Nigeria is vested in the Federal Government centre and not the States and region of Nigeria.

Because of this, to intelligent folks who understand that political leadership of a people is about teaching them to fish, OBj is a failure.

Buhari will be judged similarly after his tenure.

The President who will write his name in gold forever is the one ready to give his all to change the fundamentally unfair, regressive and self-destructive structure of Nigeria that has kept us down for decades and almost out today.

Think of why the likes of Awolowo, Nkrumah etal will forever be regarded as undisputably great and outstanding leaders, per the fundamental reforms they instituted that has outlived them, and you will get my point.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

He did no such thing. All OBJ, GEJ and Buhari have done, from 1999 to date, amount totokenism as their policies and actions do not deliberately seek to change the fundamentals of Nigerian governance so that real power to transform our nation is moved away from the FG and vested in the real change agents.

The real change agents being States, regions and and human resouces i.e the Nigerian people.

It will take a sacrificially benevolent, very visionary and selfless President to deliberately weaken his own power and that of the federal Government of Nigeria to the benefit of our nation.

This is something that must be done that previous Presidents have rejected.

What OBJ, GEJ and Buhari have all done is giving a man fish, to some degree, rather than teaching him to fish because they don't have the vision or will to do what is required.

Nigeria will never work until some very fundamental changes are institutionalized and made a part of our nationhood.

Different Presidents can tinker around, while avoiding what must be done, but they will always be adjudged failures overall despite some good deeds.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 06, 2022
Dsalvo:

God bless you. A dictator who wanted to destroy the democracy of Nigeria, just to sit-tight in power, now lecturing Nigeria.

Tony Blair is a pariah in British politics always shunned by the British public today for his hypocrisy and sleaze. He talks today and is jeered and derided. Yet Blair was overall a far better leader than OBJ, Jonathan and all PDP leaders combined.

Same Obasanjo today open his mouth, xto applause, and some will even tell you to take the message and ignore the messenger without understanding the folly of their ways.

Once a failed and discredited leader, you should remain that. No excuses.

This is the case in most nations of the world excluding Nigeria where we have no shame and no memory.

Our brutal oppressors yesterday are our friend today, never mind the damages they did to our lives, just because they are saying what we want to hear.

We forget same OBJ, lecturing us about 'questionable' folks in Nigerian politics, made 16 billion dollars NIPP electrification allocation disappear into thin air without even 1 megawatt added to our national power grid.
Wow! Can you imagine the wastefulness?! 16 billion dollars that would have done wonders spent careless by him and his stogies...

The sheep mentality is really eating up Nigerians.. no one wants to logically think cause it's hard work.. They just want to follow the crowd n sound woke.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

Did I hear you say " reliable Nitel" ?
NIPOST existed in name only.
You forgot to mention Reliable Nigeria Airways too.

Old those stone age relics needed to be gotten rid off.
And what happened to modernization? Did you know British Airways (BA) was founded in 1935, was merged with Imperial Airways (British Continental Airways) in 1936 and has since remained British Airways till date? Royal Mail, the British mail service was founded over 500 years ago precisely in 1516. It is still in service till this day. NIPOST existed only in name? That shows you were probably born in the late 90s or 2000s. Im sorry you were not lucky enough to meet NIPOST alive. Modernization boy, Modernization not privatization or liquidation. Are you trying to sound smart? I hope not.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by plaetton: 11:38am On Mar 06, 2022
Dsalvo:

He did no such thing. All OBJ, GEJ and Buhari have done, from 1999 to date, amount totokenism as their policies and actions do not deliberately seek to change the fundamentals of Nigerian governance so that real power to transform our nation is moved away from the FG and vested in the real change agents.

The real change agents being States, regions and and human resouces i.e the Nigerian people.

It will take a sacrificially benevolent, very visionary and selfless President to deliberately weaken his own power and that of the federal Government of Nigeria to the benefit of our nation.

This is something that must be done that previous Presidents have rejected.

What OBJ, GEJ and Buhari have all done is giving a man fish, to some degree, rather than teaching him to fish because they don't have the vision or will to do what is required.

Nigeria will never work until some very fundamental changes are institutionalized and made a part of our nationhood.

Different Presidents can tinker around, while avoiding what must be done, but they will always be adjudged failures overall despite some good deeds.
I agree with almost everything you have written, except for the fact that you have refused to give OBJ and GEJ due credits for their patriotic and honesty commitment to good governance. Of course they could have done much better, but with standards of leadership we seen in this country, the OBJ and GEJ eras stand out for their sincere commitments to re-priortize developmental issues ahead of politics . And yes, we did see demonstrable improvements in economic growth and middle class expansion.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 06, 2022
Hammyaladin:
Wow! Can you imagine the wastefulness?! 16 billion dollars that would have done wonders spent careless by him and his stogies...

The sheep mentality is really eating up Nigerians.. no one wants to logically think cause it's hard work.. They just want to follow the crowd n sound woke.

Brother see for yourself below . I swear Nigerians deserve their suffering. The British public always tell Tony Blair, who did far better than OBJ, to shut up when he dare utters a word today about the governance of the UK.

Not so in aberrant and cursed Nigeria where those who ruined our future, with their misrule in the past, can be talking confidently and arrogantly today, forming good governance agitators, to applause and praises from Nigerians.

Even forgetting what is revealed below, how many internationl scams against Nigeria (Halliburton, Wilbros, Siemens and many others) were OBJ, Atiku etal implicated in?

Today they are saints and Buhari is the only devil Nigeria has for everyone, including the ultra-corrupt misrulers of the past, to be bashing. We deserve the leaders we get sha.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/serap-backs-efccs-probe-of-obasanjo-govts-16bn-power-project/amp/

SERAP backs EFCC’s probe of Obasanjo govt’s $16bn power project
August 18, 2019

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has welcomed “the reported probe by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of the government of former president Olusegun Obasanjo’s $16 billion power project as an opportunity for the anti-graft agency to show that former heads of state and other high-ranking public officials are not immune from investigation and prosecution for allegations of grand corruption in Nigeria.”

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by DeepSight(m): 11:43am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

I agree with almost everything you have written, except for the fact that you have refused to give OBJ and GEJ due credits for their patriotic and honesty commitment to good governance. Of course they could have done much better, but with standards of leadership we seen in this country, the OBJ and GEJ eras stand out for their sincere commitments to re-priortize developmental issues ahead of politics . And yes, we did see demonstrable improvements in economic growth and middle class expansion.

And Yaradua/ GEJ stood out for rule of law/ respect for human rights.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by plaetton: 11:45am On Mar 06, 2022
Astoria:
And what happened to modernization?
Modernization of what ? Relics?
Do know that shortly before its liquidation, Nigeria Airways had only one aircraft and 8000 workers ?
Or did you know that Nitel had only 18,000 phone lines and 4700 workers?
When a house is cracked from every corner and in every pillar, you have no choice than to completely demolish and rebuild.
Modernization and market forces determines what services and what is liquidated.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Michelle70(m): 11:49am On Mar 06, 2022
obanioluorun:
grred man allow Igbo to rule enough of all these incompetent men from north.
Igbo's has the worst leaders from southern Nigeria.
U guys have the greediest politicians, the fact that igbo is the most industrious tribe in Nigeria doesn't mean u have good politician.

If u name three worst politicians in south, two will come from igbo, despite the industrious people, ur region is the poverty capital of the south that u have to run from ur region to do business in other regions cos SE is not economically viable.

I dont have ish wit u lot but To be frank I dont see any igbo politician that is into nation building like Amaechi or Sanwo-olu
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 06, 2022
DeepSight:

And Yaradua/ GEJ stood out for rule of law/ respect for human rights.

These things are tokenism brother!!!! They all know the fundamental reforms required yet will never initiate them.

This is because they are too beholden to the structure of greed and compromise holding Nigeria down to ever seek to do what is right by 210 million people rather than a few thousands of Nigeria who deem themselves 'owners' of our nation and her direction.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

Modernization of what ? Relics?
Do know that shortly before its liquidation, Nigeria Airways had only one aircraft and 8000 workers ?
Or did you know that Nitel had only 18,000 phone lines and 4700 workers?
When a house is cracked from every corner and in every pillar, you have no choice than to completely demolish and rebuild.
Modernization and market forces determines what services and what is liquidated.
Revert back to my mention. I've modified. It will be interesting if you would sanction the root cause analysis of the demise of these national assets.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by plaetton: 11:56am On Mar 06, 2022
Astoria:
And what happened to modernization? Did you know British Airways (BA) was founded in 1935, was merged with Imperial Airways (British Continental Airways) in 1936 and has since remained British Airways till date? Royal Mail, the British mail service was founded over 500 years ago precisely in 1516. It is still in service till this day. Modernization boy, Modernization not privatization or liquidation. Are you trying to sound smart? I hope not.
Hogwash, will all due respect.
State owned monopolies are relics of the past. Businesses should be run like Businesses, not a dumping grounds and blank cheques for politicians.
I knew people who were full time paid staff of Nitel, Nigeria Airways, Nepa, etc, who only staff on paper.
How do modernize that ?
You have to weed everybody and everything out, and let profit hungry entrepreneurs fill the gap.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

Hogwash, will all due respect.
State owned monopolies are relics of the past. Businesses should be run like Businesses, not a dumping grounds and blank cheques for politicians.
I knew people who were full time paid staff of Nitel, Nigeria Airways, Nepa, etc, who only staff on paper.
How do modernize that ?
You have to weed everybody and everything out, and let profit hungry entrepreneurs fill the gap.
What's the end result of weeding out everybody and everything? What has been the visible benefits of the privatization and liquidation? How has it impacted positively on the nation's economy and the general well-being of the populace. Put your nation's refineries in perspective too. Waiting humbly to hear from you. Hopefully you are not an advocate of 'throwing the baby and the bath water away'.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Onliie(m): 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2022
Good riddance.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by plaetton: 12:07pm On Mar 06, 2022
Astoria:
Revert back to my mention. I've modified. It will be interesting if you would sanction the root cause analysis of the demise of these national assets.
The root cause of the demise of these national assets-turned - liabilities is putting Square pegs in round holes.
You have to agree with me that Government in Nigeria has never been good at its primary responsibility of governance, let alone running a business enterprise that actually require
operational efficiencies for profitability and growth.
Government's job is provide economic stability and an enabling environment for entrepreneurial innovation and growth.
Look at NNPC, look at Eleme petrochemicals, look at our refineries, look at NEPA, at look Ajeokuta Steel(Perhaps the greatest enigma in human history) $40b spent, 40yrs, Zero piece of steel rod produced. How do you explain that in a business school case study ?
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

The root cause of the demise of these national assets-turned - liabilities is putting Square pegs in round holes.
You have to agree with me that Government in Nigeria has never been good at its primary responsibility of governance, let alone running a business enterprise that actually require
operational efficiencies for profitability and growth.
Government's job is provide economic stability and an enabling environment for entrepreneurial innovation and growth.
Look at NNPC, look at Eleme petrochemicals, look at our refineries, look at NEPA, at look Ajeokuta Steel(Perhaps the greatest enigma in human history) $40b spent, 40yrs, Zero piece of steel rod produced. How do you explain that in a business school case study ?
Good! Finally, we both agree that these leaders ran those sustainable infrastructures aground.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by plaetton: 12:18pm On Mar 06, 2022
Astoria:
What's the end result of weeding out everybody and everything? What has been the visible benefits of the privatization and liquidation? How has it impacted positively on the nation's economy and the general well-being of the populace. Put your nation's refineries in perspective too. Waiting humbly to hear from you. Hopefully you are not an advocate of 'throwing the baby and the bath water away'.
The telecoms revolution in Nigeria is evidence enough that privatization works. Do you know that Nitel was first to be Given( not sold) GSM license in Nigeria? 22 yrs later, we are still waiting for Nitel rollout.

Our perennial fuel shortage and the unending hardship is causes could have been non existent if political considerations had given way to pragmatic solutions. Enough money has been spent Our refineries that would have given us 10 additional refineries if they had been run like real businesses. Nigeria is a very corrupt country. Besides corruption, ethnic and religious considerations override business common sense. What you call the national assets are and have bern mere tools for well entrenched feudal oligarchs to exert their dominion over our commonwealth.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by 8stargeneral: 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2022
singa4real:
If only the people been told, will understand what OBJ is pointing at.
He's pointing at tinubu,that Nigeria should be wise this time,no matter his sweet month and desperate we should not vote for him grin grin
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by damosade(m): 12:33pm On Mar 06, 2022
You like him or hate him, he still the best Nigeria ever had,
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Panda7(m): 12:36pm On Mar 06, 2022
nigeria keeps depending on politicians to solve problems. if every region depends on its resources, demand and supply there wouldn't be much need for a president or its influence since the president is still the main influence.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by Dchampion65: 12:46pm On Mar 06, 2022
As if he did not re circled the so call corrupt politician during his time.

The only saint among the naija politicians.
Re: Obasanjo: We May Soon Say Goodbye To Nigeria by DeepSight(m): 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2022
plaetton:

The telecoms revolution in Nigeria is evidence enough that privatization works. Do you know that Nitel was first to be Given( not sold) GSM license in Nigeria? 22 yrs later, we are still waiting for Nitel rollout.

Our perennial fuel shortage and the unending hardship is causes could have been non existent if political considerations had given way to pragmatic solutions. Enough money has been spent Our refineries that would have given us 10 additional refineries if they had been run like real businesses. Nigeria is a very corrupt country. Besides corruption, ethnic and religious considerations override business common sense. What you call the national assets are and have bern mere tools for well entrenched feudal oligarchs to exert their dominion over our commonwealth.

Gbam. And examples abound. E.g: Ajaokuta Steel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kelechi (Kaycee) Madu Wins Election In Canada (Photos) / President Ibrahim Babangida Is Alive - Yemi Saka / Dakuku Peterside To Be Prosecuted For Murder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.