Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,597 members, 7,958,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:51 AM

AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. (16343 Views)

Enuseh Lawi: Female Student Dies In Taraba State University Hostel Fire (Photos) / Condition Of Rivers State University Hostel: Pics & Video / Man Disguised As A woman, Sneaked Into Female University Hostel In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 09, 2022
Artzdanielsz:

If all of these are working like power, high minimum wage, food security, job, good environment for business and outsider to come in and establish in the country like in the 80s, no one will complain if fuel is sold 1000 a litre cos the fund is there to pay for it. In the area that I stayed in aba we have constant power supply and are being Billed heavily and we do pay it cos we see the light even though we prefer prepaid meter.

1980's was not a good time in this country, by the way.

Also, the thing is, we have to stop thinking that everything has to be cheap. People are involved in the refining process of PMS and machinery, loans and taxes are there, and all have to be paid or paid for, whether we refine at home or abroad. Same for power, and same for educaiton

And metering, while good...people bypass the thing, and at the end the power sector does not have enough money, in addition to the low tarrifs they have to charge.

What I am arguing for, let people make a profit. It;s the only way you can have a decent economy. Price controls do not work.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 09, 2022
dettolgel:

BENELUX region including most Western European country no student loan education is dirty cheap for citizens.

Ain't we paying a lot of taxes in Nigeria?

Okay...

Belgium tax to gdp ratio 44%

Netherlands tax to gdp ratio 39.7%

Luxembourg tax to gdp ratio: 38.3%

Nigeria tax to gdp ratio : 8.1%

See why they can afford to make school cheap in the benelux countries?
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Artzdanielsz(m): 9:26am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

1980's was not a good time in this country, by the way.

Also, the thing is, we have to stop thinking that everything has to be cheap. People are involved in the refining process of PMS and machinery, loans and taxes are there, and all have to be paid or paid for, whether we refine at home or abroad. Same for power, and same for educaiton

And metering, while good...people bypass the thing, and at the end the power sector does not have enough money, in addition to the low tarrifs they have to charge.

What I am arguing for, let people make a profit. It;s the only way you can have a decent economy. Price controls do not work.
Which is why we have institutions to regulate all of these. If the government do the needful you will surprise that the masses won't mind paying for high price. I remembered during the covid lock down that the price of petrol was low and high the government increased it when it was high but didn't do anything when it comes down and u want people to be happy about that. First let them fixed the refinery, fixed our electricity cos they can do it. Handle the insecurity cos they can do it too. If these three things are fixed, u will see how things will change for good.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 9:28am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

So if the people "vote for a government that will improve our money gathering capacity...", will life not happen to the funds when you are busy making other plans?

What has been done with the funds that have been generated so far?

Once again:

"The NDDC abandoned hostel project has been marked completed by the NDDC since 2006 but yet the place has not been completed. bags of unused cement over 700 have caked, some machines already rusted are on the site".

Does the above excerpt suggest a lack of funds or insufficient funds?

1 Like

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by ransomed: 9:31am On Mar 09, 2022
Edo is not Lagos, you voted for it, work with it .
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by WizzyC: 9:35am On Mar 09, 2022
This is pure robbery!
When did it become the responsibility of students to build for a school. sad
bleeped up country
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

So if the people "vote for a government that will improve our money gathering capacity...", will life not happen to the funds when you are busy making other plans?

Once again:

"The NDDC abandoned hostel project has been marked completed by the NDDC since 2006 but yet the place has not been completed. bags of unused cement over 700 have caked, some machines already rusted are on the site".

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 9:49am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Where is d product of the strive that has been striven so far?

Once again:

1 Like

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

Once again:

Keep Going

Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by dettolgel: 9:52am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Okay...

Belgium tax to gdp ratio 44%

Netherlands tax to gdp ratio 39.7%

Luxembourg tax to gdp ratio: 38.3%

Nigeria tax to gdp ratio : 8.1%

See why they can afford to make school cheap in the benelux countries?

Saudi Arabia tax to Gdp ratio 3.4
Oma 4.2, Qatar 4.9 and education still dirty cheap for citizens.

Even with UK tax to GDP 31. 8% within the same region as NL and Lux, tuition is way Higher than in benelux

The bottom line is that Nigerian University administrators are lazy and incompetent. Nigerian public universities have been blessed with a large poll of successful alumni. Alumni has been a great source of funding for public schools. I still give some change to my old school in the benelux region so do other students. The school has been doing wonders with it.

Schools should learn to develop good relationships with their students because they present good opportunities for funding.

Secondly Nigerian lecturers are too lazy to hustle research grant because unlike their usual way for research grant you have to work for it and produce tangible results for you to be awarded more. Instead of working hard they would rather be sleeping with female students across hotels over town and will use notes from 15 years ago as lecture notes.

My brother yes our education system is grossly under funded I agree with you on that 100% but our school administrators are not ready to pick up the slack.

See I have a bad experience when I secured international research grant in Nigeria. The 1st the uni did was to take their cut (which is normal practice) but they also want to dictate how and where I spend it. Bros leave this country.

Out there yes there are university regulations around grant but it is your responsibility as a researcher to spend it or and how you want because at the end of the day you are the one that will explain to your donor and school audit how you spent the fund.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 09, 2022
dettolgel:

Saudi Arabia tax to Gdp ratio 3.4
Oma 4.2, Qatar 4.9 and education still dirty cheap for citizens

Saudi Arabia: 10.1 million barrels of crude for 40 million people
Qatar: 1.5 million barrels of crude for 1.3 million people
Oman 1.015million barrels of crude per day, 5 million people
Nigeria: 1.6million barrels of crude per day for 211 million people.

Seriously, your comparison is off. Saudi and co can affrod cheap educaiton because they earn more revenue than Nigeria. And you know it..

Even with UK tax to GDP 31. 8% within the same region as NL and Lux, tuition is way Higher than in benelux

And the UK as a result has world class universities. Nigeria does not.

The bottom line is that Nigerian University administrators are lazy and incompetent. Nigerian public universities have been blessed with a large poll of successful alumni. Alumni has been a great source of funding for public schools. I still give some change to my old school in the benelux region so do other students. The school has been doing wonders with it

So, we get more allumni to donate to our schools.

Plus, Nigerian administrators, are not lazy and incompetent, not all of them. Many are hamstrung by very low funds...which arises from low taxes, and Nigeria's low income in the first place.

What you are doing amounts to blaming a child who is eating once every 3 days for not passing his examinations well. And blaming him for stealing food...while the reason he or she does that is simple...not getting enough food legitmately.

Schools should learn to develop good relationships with their students because they present good opportunities for funding.

Some do, but even then, with most school leavers not being able to get money...
Secondly Nigerian lecturers are too lazy to hustle research grant because unlike their usual way for research grant you have to work for it and produce tangible results for you to be awarded more. Instead of working hard they would rather be sleeping with female students across hotels over town and will use notes from 15 years ago as lecture notes

Because when funding for university is low in the first place, how are you going to perform research, and get research grant when the money isn't there for the equipment you need to do the research?

My brother yes our education system is grossly under funded I agree with you on that 100% but our school administrators are not ready to pick up the slack

How can they, when they ain't getting the money in the first place? And when fees are kept too low to help them. And you are here comparing them to universities which get far more from government, or from fees than can happen here!.

See I have a bad experience when I secured international research grant in Nigeria. The 1st the uni did was to take their cut (which is normal practice) but they also want to dictate how and where I spend it. Bros leave this country

Yes, because the university is starving..no wonder they are resorting to illicit means to get more money...

Out there yes there are university regulations around grant but it is your responsibility as a researcher to spend it or and how you want because at the end of the day you are the one that will explain to your donor and school audit how you spent the fund.

So vote out PDP and APC and vote in a government that would promote economic polices, raise our tax level, so that we can have a budget that can adequately fund universites, and all that crap would end.

[/quote]
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by dettolgel: 10:43am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Seriously, your comparison is off. Saudi and co can affrod cheap educaiton because they earn more revenue than Nigeria. And you know it..

Plus, Nigerian administrators, are not lazy and incompetent, not all of them. Many are hamstrung by very low funds...which arises from low taxes, and Nigeria's low income in the first place.

What you are doing amounts to blaming a child who is eating once every 3 days for not passing his examinations well. And blaming him for stealing food...while the reason he or she does that is simple...not getting enough food legitmately.

Because when funding for university is low in the first place, how are you going to perform research, and get research grant when the money isn't there for the equipment you need to do the research?

How can they, when they ain't getting the money in the first place? And when fees are kept too low to help them. And you are here comparing them to universities which get far more from government, or from fees than can happen here!.

Yes, because the university is starving..no wonder they are resorting to illicit means to get more money...

So vote out PDP and APC and vote in a government that would promote economic polices, raise our tax level, so that we can have a budget that can adequately fund universites, and all that crap would end.

I threw in Saudi and Co into the mix because your post sounded as if tax to gdp ratio is the secret answer to cost of education.

I am glad you could point that out maybe you could go back to your initial response to me and put a caveat that in as much as tax to gdp ratio is to be considered there are other important factors. grin

Yes I agree that not all Nigerian school administrator are lazy. I should also be fair to point out that some the system won't allow them to their bit effectively.

Yes UK has a world class education so do countries with lower tuition fee and with TtoG ratio within the same range.

My point remains spending on education matters but we can not discount the importance of school raising revenue themselves.

I worked in one of the popular research institutes in one of German big schools. The annual budget of the institute runs into 100s of millions of euros and I can tell you for a fact that 100 percent of the funds are sourced externally and government contributions is in terms of waiving some taxes for the institute.

Our universities and institutions should position (I am not sure how much the current law has to do with this) themselves to source for funds elsewhere rather than extorting students to build a block they ain't going to use.

Infact admitting students meant that you have the resources and capacity to provide the education you promise them. Not that you admit and then you will charge them to build them a new block.

1 Like

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 09, 2022
dettolgel:

I threw in Saudi and Co into the mix because your post sounded as if tax to gdp ratio is the secret answer to cost of education.

And i threw in the tax to gdp ratio of a thing in response to your post

dettolgel:

BENELUX region including most Western European country no student loan education is dirty cheap for citizens.

Ain't we paying a lot of taxes in Nigeria?

which implied two things

1.Nigeria is paying enough in taxes(NOT TRUE)

2.So why should we not enjoy cheap education.?(When we can't pay for it?)

You then moved the goalposts...and I answered your point raised. Stop gloating....you still end up showing that Nigeria needs to make more money...either from taxes or from what we sell , be it oil or whatever...to adequately fund education.

I am glad you could point that out maybe you could go back to your initial response to me and put a caveat that in as much as tax to gdp ratio is to be considered there are other important factors. grin

Yes, like Nigeria needs more side hustle.

So, what;s the gloating for.? You lose. And you know it.

Good day.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by dettolgel: 10:57am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

And i threw in the tax to gdp ratio of a thing in response to your post

which implied two things

1.Nigeria is paying enough in taxes(NOT TRUE)

2.So why should we not enjoy cheap education.?(When we can't pay for it?)

You then moved the goalposts...and I answered your point raised. Stop gloating....you still end up showing that Nigeria needs to make more money...either from taxes or from what we sell , be it oil or whatever...to adequately fund education.

Yes, like Nigeria needs more side hustle.

So, what;s the gloating for.? You lose. And you know it.

Good day.

The bolded is the problem with most people on this forum.

I am not going to respond to any other points you raised in your post since you are out to argue and to be frank from my experience it is waste of time.

But I will leave you with text below.

Everything is not about arguing to win or lose.

Most times you should have conversations with people so you can see and examine different sides of the view. It enriches your view and understanding of issues.

Once you get into the "win or loss" argument mode you automatically go into a tunnel vision mode and you will learn nothing other than your pre conceived idea.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 09, 2022
dettolgel:

The bolded is the problem with most people on this forum.

Everything is not about arguing to win or lose.

Most times you should have conversations with people so you can see and examine different sides of the view. It enriches your view and understanding of issues.

Once you get into the "win or loss" argument mode you automatically go into a tunnel vision mode and you will learn nothing other than your pre conceived idea.

So why the gloating in your previous response?

Anyway, life goes on.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:02am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Keep Going

Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

What are the tough situations & hardest times?

Once again:

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

What are the tough situations & hardest times?

Once again:

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.” –Charles de Gaulle
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

So why did nigeria govt find it difficult in sharing COVID-19 palliatives that was freely donated to it by d the private sector? Was it lack of funds that was the problem?
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by dettolgel: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

So why the gloating in your previous response?

Anyway, life goes on.

That is the problem how did you know that I am gloating for heaven sake?

I am having a conversation with you and I pointed out something which is of importance that you could modify your statement so that your conclusions can be more general. Isn't that more of an advice than gloating?

If it will do you any good go back and the post on how my former institute fund their activities. Apart from paying their staff member they had several PhD and MSc students on full time scholarship paid by the institution. They cover their travel cost insurances and conference fees without a dime from the government. You could said but government gives tax waiver. Yes that is a contribution but you can only get the waiver on money you have not the one you don't. I also understand that the waiver may be a source of motivation for the institute and donors.

The main point remains that there are a lot of schools/institutions in countries with low tuition fees that do amazing jobs in raising funds for their activities.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

So why did nigeria govt find it difficult in sharing COVID-19 palliatives that was freely donated to it by d the private sector? Was it lack of funds that was the problem?

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

Edgar Allan Poe
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:07am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.” –Charles de Gaulle

Once again:

Which men have u known? What are the tough situations & hardest times? Where is d product of the strive that has been striven so far?
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:08am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

Edgar Allan Poe

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:09am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

Once again:

Which men have u known? What are the tough situations & hardest times? Where is d product of the strive that has been striven so far?

Your attention has value. Don’t give it away. They will say it’s important but it’s not. Stay focused.

Maxime Lagacé
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Alexaonfleek: 11:09am On Mar 09, 2022
khen10:

Am I the only one who thinks the headline is misleading? "Student asked to build hostel"...as in just one student?
Sorry, the op meant to say students'

As for the provost and the college of medicine management, it's God that will judge them for inflicting hardship on students and parents.
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Alexaonfleek: 11:10am On Mar 09, 2022
Cousin9999:
Probably a hoax.
Its true
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.” – Gimli
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

'Bad luck, I guess. It floats around. It’s got to land on somebody. It was my turn, that’s all. I was in the path of the tornado. I just didn’t expect the storm would last as long as it has.”
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 09, 2022
lexy2014:

Don’t let rejection create self-doubt. The founder of Starbucks was turned down by 217 of the 242 investors he initially spoke with.” -Elizabeth Galbut
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by Elistho(m): 11:25am On Mar 09, 2022
SocialJustice:
Please do this on twitter too.

How does it get to the appropriate authorities when one have very low followers on Twitter?
Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:47am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Your attention has value. Don’t give it away. They will say it’s important but it’s not. Stay focused.

Maxime Lagacé

Once again:

Re: AAU Medicine Student Tasked To Build University Hostel. by lexy2014: 11:48am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Don’t let rejection create self-doubt. The founder of Starbucks was turned down by 217 of the 242 investors he initially spoke with.” -Elizabeth Galbut

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB, Institutions Approve 160 As Cut-off Mark For 2019 Admission / JAMB To Invigilate 2017 UTME With CCTV Cameras / Nigerian Jobs Aptitude Tests Past Questions And Answers Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.