Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,994 members, 7,810,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS (54001 Views)

Chidinma Ojukwu: I Don’t Want To Die Over Usifo Ataga's Case / Chidinma Ojukwu Smoking In A Video / Chidinma Ojukwu: How I Stabbed Michael Usifo Ataga To Death (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by fergie001: 11:30am On Mar 10, 2022
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), formerly known as Nigerian Prison Service, has explained why it permitted a 300-level Mass Communication student of the University of Lagos, Chidinma Ojukwu, and other inmates at its facilities to participate in a beauty pageant.

Ojukwu, prime suspect in the alleged murder of the Chief Executive Officer of Super TV, Usifo Ataga in June 2021, is standing trial for the offence at the Lagos High Court, Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS), Lagos.

Pictures of the pageant have flooded social media since Wednesday and sent tongues wagging on the propriety or otherwise of allowing non-convicts such as Miss Ojukwu to participate in the event.

The beauty pageant held within the NCoS’ Kirikiri facility on Tuesday, March 8, 2022.

Ojukwu was said to have been crowned Miss Cell 2022.

But the NCoS Lagos State Command said the pageant was only one of several other activities organised to mark International Women’s Day (IWD).

IWD is celebrated annually on March 8, to commemorate the social, political and economic achievements of women.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Rotimi Oladokun told The Nation that the pageant and all the other events were open to all female inmates whether convicted or awaiting trial.

Oladookun, a Superintendent, said: “I haven’t seen the pictures you are talking about. But in line with International Women’s Day, the female custodial facilities commemorated International Women’s Day with inmates, various inmates without distinction or discrimination against anybody – an inmate is an inmate.

“All the inmates in different cell blocks presented various programmes. Some did theatre presentations, others drama, some poetry, some beauty pageant, some drawings, paintings, comedy. So, various blocks won. It was just like an inter-cell block event.

“There were lots of presentations. It was not an individual thing. It was just the facility’s way of trying to reform the inmates, those still in custody.

“So, that’s why they commemorated International Women’s Day, that’s why it was done in the female facility, not the male’s.”

Referring to Ojukwu, the spokesman said: “The particular inmate, I don’t know her name. There were various winners.

“The costumes were made by the inmates in the facility and some of the winners got sponsorship to pay for their UME forms, NECO, WASSCE and higher education.

“Some donated libraries to us, apart from some other stationery, and welfare resources. It was not an individual event, so the prizes were collective.”

He explained that Chidinma could have been a representative of a block.

“There were representatives for each block, so maybe the inmate you are referring to was one of such representatives, but it was not an individual event, it was a collective one commemorating International Women’s Day,” Oladokun added.

@NationNews

PREVIOUS THREAD:
https://www.nairaland.com/7022961/chidinma-ojukwu-crowned-miss-cell

19 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for explaining to people who were too quick in bringing feminism and bias against men into the contest.
Some said why was a murderer that's the lady allowed to participate,well the answer is she has not been proven guilty so for now she's still innocent.
Some even said men were not allowed to contest in things like this, sounds weird.

85 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by tillaman(m): 11:34am On Mar 10, 2022
Very noble of them to make out time to explain
We are in a country where we let our emotions get the best of us there by shying away from reality
She’s still a suspect until she’s proven guilty so just like other inmates she has the right to participate in whatsoever activity that goes down in that yard
It’s just a contest she’s still a prisoner so what’s the fuss

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Zonefree(m): 11:46am On Mar 10, 2022
You want to celebrate women on IWD and you're using a murderer

So much for women celebration!

97 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Maxymilliano(m): 11:48am On Mar 10, 2022
The explanation is needless .. Inmates are entitles to some level of activities as part of the correctional process.

Convicted inmate like Rev. King still take parts in Karate while waiting for his death sentenced to be approved. Major Al-Mustapha was a regular sponsor of table tennis competition in Kirikiri when he was undergoing trials.

Prisoners are human and they deserve to let their hairs down once in a while

164 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by chatinent: 11:48am On Mar 10, 2022
Nobody asked una.

Why didn't they speak on why they allowed others?

It's normal.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 10, 2022
I wish the man didn't die so she can just learn her lessons and live right.hmm life's wahala

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 10, 2022
Zonefree:
You want to celebrate women on IWD and you're using a murderer

So much for women celebration!
Do you have evidence that she is a murderer?
She has not been proven guilty.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Zonefree(m): 11:56am On Mar 10, 2022
Iyaebe:
I wish the man didn't die so she can just learn her lessons and live right.hmm life's wahala
She's already learning her lessons in prison.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Shalommy(f): 11:57am On Mar 10, 2022
Why are you guys pained? Inmates are not human? I know soon she'll be set free. Chaii.

9 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 10, 2022
Zonefree:

She's already learning her lessons in prison.
I just feel for her,only if she could turn back the hands of time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Zonefree(m): 11:59am On Mar 10, 2022
Iyaebe:
I just feel for her,only if she could turn back the hands of time
You feel for a murderer? What nonsense feeling is that? Cos she's female and facially pretty?

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by seunaj: 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2022
Let's not forget that prisons are not dungeons but correctional centers. Did you ever imagine being in a compound for 10 years without going out? The correctional centers came up with different ideas to keep them busy and engaged while serving their jail terms. All inmates in any particular prison division are treated equally with equal right to participate in any activities going on there.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by athaboi(f): 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2022
No one asked for una explanation
Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by boundachuks(m): 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2022
they should just free her asap

1 Like

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Cyntie55(f): 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Nigeria is a joke.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Zonefree:

You feel for a murderer? What nonsense feeling is that? Cos she's female and facially pretty?
I don't know about her been pretty, I'm just been human and I also feel for the departed,I hate seeing people surfer in regrets.So sad

5 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by kipayi5987: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Well nice
Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Zonefree:

This has nothing to do with Facial structure.

Even Ugly people dey kill other people.

I wish she could turn back the hands of time, that way she will avoid the act, and she won't have to be a murderer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by IamGreen1(f): 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
At least we know she's in prison not free doing what she likes so that's enough. Hopefully she get all the rehabilitation she needs.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by SultanOfPuna: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Mindlog: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Is a non issue as even Kenya Prisons also do the same.

12 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by 9jayes: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
Her kepus too sweet

3 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by tifed85688: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
See as shes glowing
Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by BluntCrazeMan: 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
She don dey trend again?
Why won't you guys allow her live her prison life in peace??

3 Likes

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by Skyfornia(m): 12:08pm On Mar 10, 2022
Nigerians should change their archaic mentality..prison is a correctional facility and not a dungeon

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Allowed Chidinma Ojukwu Compete In Beauty Pageant - NCoS by blamingthedevil: 12:08pm On Mar 10, 2022
Some inmates are on various degrees programs

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Teenage Fulani Herdsmen Attack Delta Man With Ak47,get Caught(pics,videos) / Nigerian Lady Arrested With Cocaine Capsules In Her Stomach At Pakistan Airport / Man From Edo Accused Of Impregnating A Goat, Forced To Have Sex With The Goat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.