Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. (18212 Views)

Massive Sack Looming In Many Digital Companies/banks / Online Artisans And Service Professionals Marketplace / Online Artisans And Professionals Marketplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:35pm On Mar 11, 2022
Akaegwu:
Currently there is no job for the trained ones.

Says who?
It took me about 2weeks to get an experienced electrician for my house wiring.
It took over 1wk to get the skilled pop technician currently working there
Experienced Tiler and plumber will also take time get once the pop guy is through.

Where did you see the trained ones looking for jobs

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by laiperi: 2:39pm On Mar 11, 2022
blamingthedevil:
No problem ...DIY will take over. In "saner climes" DIY is key...everyone has tools at home

You may be surprised that many high schools where they want to japa to are running the same artisans and crafts as electives like we used to do years ago in Nigeria.

Actually, Tai Solari made farming compulsory in his Mayflower high school.

When you japa and find out that your monthly or six months salary will go to a skilled plumber, carpenter or roofer on just one call, nobody go teach you say mechanic job no be joke.

Right now, you can hardly build a house in Lagos without a craftsman from Benin Republic.

As for those of you ignorant enough to think skill jobs will disappear like farming, what world powers have over you is a better way of growing seeds. Africa has the most arable land in the world, yet our children are shown all over the world on TVs begging for food.

Now you know why Africa's problems are deep.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2022
ayandee:
Artisans arent well-paid in Nigeria because Nigerians dont like paying for services. They bargain service charge like they are pricing garri. This extends to even other service related professions except médecine.
Trading in goods is more profitable. It's the reason some plumbers and carpenters now sell building materials instead of actually rendering services.

even medicine is not left out o.

People don't want to pay doctors. They'll rather call doctor friends to give them free treatment.

But on to the topic.

Developed nations are somehow going back to trades and skills.

Many people especially young boys are seeing college for what it is, a scam. The number of young men going to college is dropping. They'll choose rather to go to trade school since it is cheaper.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Schprobs: 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:
In recent times I couldn't help but think about how the artisan and Craftsmanship industry of Nigeria will be 10 years from now.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s, it is common and even a thing of pride whereby people sign up for apprenticeship for a couple of years to get the required skill in their field of interest.

Some Parents like my father even insisted on adding artisanry to formal education as plan B. So all each children had to learn a skill while waiting for admission or during the one year industrial training period in higher institutions ( A legacy I will earnestly follow with my lineage).

Aside the fact that it is a huge boost to ones C.V., you will never beg for food unless you weren't serious with your training.

But today you hardly see youngsters, learning Craftsmanship or artisanry. Every body wants to be a content creator, a programmer, content writer, Yahoo yahoo and the likes.

Nobody wants to be a plumber, an electrician, a technician, a mechanic, a bricklayer or tiler, welder, iron bender and the likes.

Have you noticed how difficult it is to get an experienced and skilled artisan these days. Sometimes you have to wait for days for them to come and do jobs for you in your house.

The crux of the matter is the crop of experienced and skilled artisans and Craftsmen and women presently available are those from the 80s and 90s. Most of their apprentices are actually with them just to make ends meet thereby prioritizing the need to make money above that of properly learning the skill from their master.

Personally I think it's just a matter of a couple of years before we realize the dire situation of artisanry and Craftsmanship in this country. Maybe by then we will start looking for foreigners to fill in the gaps.

What do you guys think?

Look around u and tell me how many artisian are doing well
Who is going to be foolish enough to do work that can't save 100k in his life time.
Who will go into work that everyone look down on us especially those empty brain gruaduate.
Who will go into stuff that u have to do it all ur lifetime without retirement.

That's not even the problem
When a contract it's out. They will never give it out to the expert, they have to share the contract among so empty head graduate(engineers) before remembering the doer of the works.

Nigeria fail us
I won't even allow my children to fall victim of handwork

Let's us all be carrying paper around

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Badb0y4lyf(m): 2:47pm On Mar 11, 2022
ginggerxy:
the issue is not being dirty, the major problem with being an artisan in Nigeria is that you will work and Nigerian won't pay you for your labour.

I dont agree with this will a tailor sew your cloth and you won't pay or would a mechanic fix your car and you simply drive off. The issue was that artisan or brown collar Job was seen back then as a job for the illiterate. And it use to be so at least while i was growing up. U dont even associate with them but right now I have friends as mechanic, lol i call him yahoo mechanic, trailer builder even tailor aka fashion designer we relate and drink togther sometimes they are as well to do as a salary earner even more than self, the only difference is exposure..
The climes have change its just unfortunate we were caught in the transition of jet age to the digital age and wat use to be obtainable then isn't now. We were brought up to go to school, come out with good grades get a good job start up a family and save. Right now those stuff are bullshit and dont work in this present time anymore.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Kokaine(m): 2:47pm On Mar 11, 2022
Kate06:
cheesy

Look op...I dont know you but I am sure you will not dare do a job that will take you 35 years to save #100,000 in this economy.

I doubt if you know how much pure water for a bag cost now or what food prices are saying . When are you gonna settle down with this our Nigerian ladies that don't want to date poor guys with your daily wages of #5000 or less?

Right from when I was small,I have decided my faith and dream of no stress job like going to the office from AC to my car with AC but as soon as one graduated and start facing the reality in Nigeria,nobody will tell him to learn a digital skill and do freelancing or join a forex broker with 97% win rate .

Na ur type go see small legit hustler for street with a car and you will tag him yahoo boy. How old are you?

Have you forgotten we are in the 21st century when almost many skills are fading away with the advent of robot who do such works and other program applications?

How come you don't know digital skills like programming,graphic and design,digital marketing and a host lot of skills are taking over the conventional skills you used to know.

You had better change your mentality and meet this new generation young boys to show you the way.

Edited: If you want to join the 2 trading companies I am presently getting alot of income each week,DM me.
nonsense talk
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by RapportNaija(m): 2:48pm On Mar 11, 2022
Shoodboi:
First, this is not true:

Secondly, I knew you were going to mention internet fraud the moment I started reading and you didn't disappoint.

Plus the fact that you included it with things like content creator, a programmer, content writer, and then added "and the likes" at the end instantly discredits your argument in the faces of people in those fields (including me).

What links do those careers have with fraud? Seun Osewa who owns Nairaland is a programmer.

But I'll put that aside since I understand what you're trying to say (unless you have hidden intentions).

You need to understand how the world (and the method of generating wealth) is changing and how people follow those changes, without even realizing it.

In the past, wealth was generated from farms. Basically, the more farmland you had, the more money you had.

Wealth later moved from farms to industries (factories, etc.) during the industrial revolutions. And people followed...

That's why we had lots of craftsmen and technical schools in the 80s and 90s compared to today since there were lots of industries in the world and most of the tech stuff we take for granted today were evolving at the time.

Now, wealth has moved from industries/factories to services and people are following suit.

That's why you're seeing less people in craftsmanship these days.

And let's not talk about our increased population,
The increasing complexities of skills required to become a craftsman,
The destruction of the middle class who are the biggest spenders, which means fewer jobs for craftsmen,
The massive deindustrialization that has been happening in Nigeria since the 70s due to poor government policies and forced us to focus on importation over manufacturing/assembling, and so on.

That said, you'll be surprised to know that everything you're saying now was the same thing everyone else said in the 80s and 90s:

They complained about people leaving the farms for craftsmanship. And now, you're complaining about people leaving craftsmanship for the digital world.

You'll be surprised again to learn that someone in the future will make the same complaint about people leaving the digital world for something else.

It's just the world happening and is nothing to bother about.

You wrote well! Great points!

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by IAMBlesssed(f): 2:51pm On Mar 11, 2022
Most young people of this age want quick cash and are too proud to learn... They are driving keke, okada or conductor, or owoda on the express.. It's unfortunate
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by IamDavid(m): 2:52pm On Mar 11, 2022
wonder233:
You're very right. I am currently supervising a construction project and I can attest to all you have said. Personally, I regret not learning a trade to add to my formal education. I envy and marvel at these guys as they ACTUALLY do the work. It makes me feel like a fraud cos I can't actually do anything myself.
My kids and any young one around me will learn a trade in addition to formal education. It is the way to go

That construction fraud ehn... You're the first manager I'll hear this truth from. You must be a very compassionate, non selfish and analytical human being. From the finest buildings in lekki to the mediocre ones in Ifo, na artisans dey do the actual job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Ademat7(m): 2:56pm On Mar 11, 2022
solasoulmusic:
Ghanaians trained these artisans and we’re reliable and whatever they did lasted it wasn’t just a cash cow for them once they left our mentality went to get as much as you can fix the problem but create another.

People say China is cheap stuff but better quality is higher price. American stuff you get rebate and warranty. British stuff it’s universal Indian stuff they last years na you go tire

I am self taught and I don’t give up till it’s done and it helps

I saw a mechanic opening a benz I said do you know what’s wrong? Do you have a scanner ? Nope ok rolled on by trial and error Dey cost money

I bought scanners different types to undo the programming bullshit tools these Niggas use

Call mechanic to help you fix something follow him hand na starter he adjust to delay starting means burning more petrol in a scarcity.

So you have youths who can’t wait to get there to do it too papa a yahoo boy . Him pikin go Sabi family business our parents bought Vtech and abacus for a reason your brain will make you money but create value first.

I have done so with all my companies

Your cart should always be more than your checkout cause not everything is impulse sometimes na plan
DIY is the way forward

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Badb0y4lyf(m): 3:00pm On Mar 11, 2022
Shoodboi:
First, this is not true:

Secondly, I knew you were going to mention internet fraud the moment I started reading and you didn't disappoint.

Plus the fact that you included it with things like content creator, a programmer, content writer, and then added "and the likes" at the end instantly discredits your argument in the faces of people in those fields (including me).

What links do those careers have with fraud? Seun Osewa who owns Nairaland is a programmer.

But I'll put that aside since I understand what you're trying to say (unless you have hidden intentions).

You need to understand how the world (and the method of generating wealth) is changing and how people follow those changes, without even realizing it.

In the past, wealth was generated from farms. Basically, the more farmland you had, the more money you had.

Wealth later moved from farms to industries (factories, etc.) during the industrial revolutions. And people followed...

That's why we had lots of craftsmen and technical schools in the 80s and 90s compared to today since there were lots of industries in the world and most of the tech stuff we take for granted today were evolving at the time.

Now, wealth has moved from industries/factories to services and people are following suit.

The destruction of the middle class who are the biggest spenders, which means fewer jobs for craftsmen,
The massive deindustrialization that has been happening in Nigeria since the 70s due to poor government policies and forced us to focus on importation over manufacturing/assembling, and so on.

That said, you'll be surprised to know that everything you're saying now was the same thing everyone else said in the 80s and 90s:

They complained about people leaving the farms for craftsmanship. And now, you're complaining about people leaving craftsmanship for the digital world.

You'll be surprised again to learn that someone in the future will make the same complaint about people leaving the digital world for something else.

I couldn't have said it better but the digital age caught us unaware and it really difficult transitioning as we only have the tool set, education and knowledge for the old ways of doing things. Nigeria is not even helping at all we are still using 1980's syllabus.

2 Likes

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ayandee: 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2022
DrFunmisticGlow:
even medicine is not left out o.

People don't want to pay doctors. They'll rather call doctor friends to give them free treatment.

But on to the topic.

Developed nations are somehow going back to trades and skills.

Many people especially young boys are seeing college for what it is, a scam. The number of young men going to college is dropping. They'll choose rather to go to trade school since it is cheaper.
Yes you are right but when the situation becomes critical and life-threatening, they go to the doctor.
Blue collar jobs are quite profitable abroad. They even evade taxes without conséquences, when their clients pay them in cash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ambient: 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:
In recent times I couldn't help but think about how the artisan and Craftsmanship industry of Nigeria will be 10 years from now.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s, it is common and even a thing of pride whereby people sign up for apprenticeship for a couple of years to get the required skill in their field of interest.

Some Parents like my father even insisted on adding artisanry to formal education as plan B. So all each children had to learn a skill while waiting for admission or during the one year industrial training period in higher institutions ( A legacy I will earnestly follow with my lineage).

Aside the fact that it is a huge boost to ones C.V., you will never beg for food unless you weren't serious with your training.

But today you hardly see youngsters, learning Craftsmanship or artisanry. Every body wants to be a content creator, a programmer, content writer, Yahoo yahoo and the likes.

Nobody wants to be a plumber, an electrician, a technician, a mechanic, a bricklayer or tiler, welder, iron bender and the likes.

Have you noticed how difficult it is to get an experienced and skilled artisan these days. Sometimes you have to wait for days for them to come and do jobs for you in your house.

The crux of the matter is the crop of experienced and skilled artisans and Craftsmen and women presently available are those from the 80s and 90s. Most of their apprentices are actually with them just to make ends meet thereby prioritizing the need to make money above that of properly learning the skill from their master.

Personally I think it's just a matter of a couple of years before we realize the dire situation of artisanry and Craftsmanship in this country. Maybe by then we will start looking for foreigners to fill in the gaps.

What do you guys think?

Omg,I thought I was the only one noticing this,a plumber came to fix a block suck away I was worried on how he was the only one that have to remove the interlocks and the pipes,I got him some cool drinks and started asking him questions,he said he has not had any apprentice for close to 6months, nobody want to learn again, initially I thought he didn't want to share the money.so sad.
My ibo rice seller said the last boys he had that wanted to learn the trade was last two years...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Doctordogood(m): 3:40pm On Mar 11, 2022
I remembered calling a carpenter to come and make wardrobe for me.

Only for him to tell me to look for another person, he has alot works on his hands.

I asked for his boys, he replied that they have all gone for quick money. He further said youth of these days don't want to learn work anymore.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by udemzyudex(m): 3:42pm On Mar 11, 2022
ginggerxy:
the issue is not being dirty, the major problem with being an artisan in Nigeria is that you will work and Nigerian won't pay you for your labour.

You get it.

This is different from the way it is done in US.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by henrixx(m): 4:02pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?
atm it's not like people do not want to go into it but it's because it's quite saturated. I mean I know bricklayers plumbers wey dey beg for work but e nor dey. even if you drive to a mechanic market to fix something on your car. like 10 mechanics go rush you. I mean they are there but no jobs for them

so I'll say it's quite saturated at the moment hence people aren't interested but later in the future when these labor becomes scarce people will rush into it again. so calm down. there's no problem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by henrixx(m): 4:03pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?
atm it's not like people do not want to go into it but it's because it's quite saturated. I mean I know bricklayers plumbers wey dey beg for work but e nor dey. even if you drive to a mechanic market to fix something on your car. like 10 mechanics go rush you. I mean they are there but no jobs for them

so I'll say it's quite saturated at the moment hence people aren't interested but later in the future when these labor becomes scarce people will rush into it again. so calm down. there's no crisis really
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by bilulu(m): 4:04pm On Mar 11, 2022
NnamdiN:
Pay hourly and have a standard wage, a lot of people will do a lot things. Abi make I leave 250k per month soft hustle go do welding because of passion?
you still don't get it
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Cruziero75: 4:05pm On Mar 11, 2022
See analysis with a slight of gbas gbos here and there.

Who say school nah scam!

Shoodboi:
First, this is not true:

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by eliyke(m): 4:32pm On Mar 11, 2022
undecided
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by NnamdiN: 4:35pm On Mar 11, 2022
bilulu:

you still don't get it
make me
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nerdhere: 4:50pm On Mar 11, 2022
There is no need to worry. Demand and supply will always shape things how ever the situation is now. BTW: you can easily get artisans around you here, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cygital.skillsaround
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by darediamond(m): 5:03pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?
Have you ever given thought to why God put in we Humans soil Alluminium, Gold, Iron, Sulphur, Copper etc. in there Raw form not in a Refined form?

He provided and put there user manual each in our Brain which can only be unfolded by Serious Thinking and Research.

This shows God wants us to keep getting ourselves developed.

Would you because of tradition keep to Grindstone when an Electric Powered Grinder is available?

The Dynamics Of Nature Brings Endless Positive Developments To Those Who Subject Themselves To Dynamic Flexible Thinking Which Originates From God Himself.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by familier(m): 5:21pm On Mar 11, 2022
So true bro

Most time it's really hard to get places to acquire such skill
Finished my OND last year have been searching for someone who will mentor me in construction line can be an Engineer, builder or even an Architect please I'm so serious about this.

Thank you as you help
Location... ENUGU urban
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 11, 2022
Ademat7:

DIY is the way forward
there are trusted artisans and special things that the average person doesn’t have the strength and stamina to do I can drain oil and transmission fluid myself … but for the leg work and brake works I call and ask someone but make sure you know where they work and their Union so you can hold them responsible.

Union wasn’t about mafia it’s to protect the rights of the worker as well as the consumer

I buy the parts and do fix at home because if there’s always a car like yours in the shop na setup.

It’s one thing when you betray someone who can’t help themselves but when they can na you go suffer last last
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by John360comng: 6:05pm On Mar 11, 2022
ambient:

Omg,I thought I was the only one noticing this,a plumber came to fix a block suck away I was worried on how he was the only one that have to remove the interlocks and the pipes,I got him some cool drinks and started asking him questions,he said he has not had any apprentice for close to 6months, nobody want to learn again, initially I thought he didn't want to share the money.so sad.
My ibo rice seller said the last boys he had that wanted to learn the trade was last two years...

To even get employees before you talk of reliable employees is a problem these days. I am beginning to understand why these tech enthusiasts are working on robotics.
As a business owner. It's hard to relax these days. The day you decide to take just a few minutes nap after stressed out. Your Nigeria employees go do you shege. grin

2 Likes

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Truth80: 6:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?
oga me na comfarm furniture man i learnt the hard way i started learning in 2012. Finish learning in 2015. but boys na. na yahoo be their problem and how to yuk
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Truth80: 6:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?
oga me na comfarm furniture man i learnt the hard way i started learning in 2012. Finish learning in 2015. but boys na. na yahoo be their problem and how to yuk
John360comng:

To even get employees before you talk of reliable employees is a problem these days. I am beginning to understand why these tech enthusiasts are working on robotics.
As a business owner. It's hard to relax these days. The day you decide to take just a few minutes nap after stressed out. Your Nigeria employees go do you shege. grin
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?

Foreigners are already filling the gap from neighbouring countries like Benin and Togo for real.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Munzy14(m): 7:22pm On Mar 11, 2022
okeyumez:
The youths of today wants to be like Obi Cubana without hard work.
South West is even worse. Almost all youths in Ogun are into skull mining business
grin grin funny enough, they don't to hear the rough days of successful men...

To them, it is now or never. undecided

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Munzy14(m): 7:28pm On Mar 11, 2022
Blablamalala:

Foreigners are already filling the gap from neighbouring countries like Benin and Togo for real.
You are right..Worst case is here in SE....Young Igbo boys no want to artisan and craftsman work.

Na most Benue guys and northerners we dey use build here lipsrsealed.

And they have learnt to extort plus the shakara...Of recent I have embarked on self development towards these things via YouTube and elsewhere..

In 2020, I hired one to assist me run a small job he came with outrageous bill, I told him hold on...Days later he came back and saw It was done perfectly...He was like haaa Oga nothing wey you no dey do o... grin grin

Since then, he dey respect himself anytime I call him for job...yeye people.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 11, 2022
Munzy14:

You are right..Worst case is here in SE....Young Igbo boys no want to artisan and craftsman work.

Na most Benue guys and northerners we dey use build here lipsrsealed.

And they have learnt to extort plus the shakara...Of recent I have embarked on self development towards these things via YouTube and elsewhere..

In 2020, I hired one to assist me run a small job he came with outrageous bill, I told him hold on...Days later he came back and saw It was done perfectly...He was like haaa Oga nothing wey you no dey do o... grin grin

Since then, he dey respect himself anytime I call him for job...yeye people.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Career Choice: All You Need To Know / Company Worker Arrested For Threatening To Kill Promoted Colleague, Children / Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.