Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,023 members, 7,849,124 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:53 PM

Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? (786 Views)

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father / Guys Can U Marry A Lady That's Older Than U? / Guys, Can You Marry A Woman Who Can't Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
I can't believe this simple question got many undergraduate students goofing. grin grin Mehn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SIEoss-gn8

Please watch and laugh away your sorrows.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 11, 2022
The one that cracked me up was the guy that said... "The Lord who made me to matriculate, will make me to convoc" lol...

1 Like

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by illicit(m): 6:40pm On Mar 11, 2022
They are not all wrong

They speak Nigerian English
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 11, 2022
illicit:
They are not all wrong

They are all wrong. Their interpretation of the question was wrong cos that is not what it implies. Only the last guy got it right.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by illicit(m): 6:53pm On Mar 11, 2022
Mercychen:

They are all wrong. Their interpretation of that expression was wrong cos that is not what it implies. Only the last guy got it right.

Lexically they are not wrong

It is contextual

1 Like

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2022
Mercychen:
I can't believe this simple question got many undergraduate students goofing. grin grin Mehn...

What dictionary is he pulling his definitions from? undecided
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by lilvicky68(m): 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2022
Pls it's not a simple question.

Not many people know it
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 11, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What dictionary is he pulling his definitions from? undecided

Lol.. kor kor.. I don't know o.
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 11, 2022
lilvicky68:
Pls it's not a simple question.

Not many people know it

Huh? You too?? tongue
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On Mar 11, 2022
Mercychen:
Lol.. kor kor.. I don't know o.
So he makes up a meaning in his head and approaches random folks expecting them to figure it out? undecided
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 11, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So he makes up a meaning in his head and approaches random folks expecting them to figure it out? undecided

No o. In that context of expression, you're required to introduce yourself. He didn't make up the expression. It's exist in the English language.

Have you not heard it before?
It is used mostly at interviews. The first thing they ask at interviews is " can we meet you? or let's meet you".

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Mar 11, 2022
Mercychen:
No o.
1. In that context of expression, you're required to introduce yourself. He didn't make up the expression. It's exist in the English language.

2. Have you not heard it before?
It is used mostly at interviews. The first thing they ask at interviews is " can we meet you? or let's meet you".
1. I actually think the context is all wrong. undecided

2. Never heard it used in that way during an interview. If an introduction is what you desire, you can more easily ask for that. Saying "let's meet you" or "can we meet you" sounds a bit off, tacky even! undecided

"She took Paul to meet her parents ".... in this case, the word "meet" can be easily interpreted as an introduction. undecided

"She said to Paul, 'can I meet you'".... sounds more like she is instead requesting a rendezvous undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 11, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. I actually think the context is all wrong. undecided

2. Never heard it used in that way during an interview. If an introduction is what you desire, you can more easily ask for that. Saying "let's meet you" or "can we meet you" sounds a bit off. undecided

That's how most interviewers phrase that question down here.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Cyntie55(f): 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2022
Personally what I learnt from that video is "Don't judge the book by it cover". Who will ever believe that the last guy is gonna get it right mere looking at him. putting on neck chain, sun shade, earpiece, and all that.

But you see those serious people looking like Bankers, pastors and barristers couldn't even get it right.

Never judge a book by it cover. A guy with tattoos, ears rings e.t.c.. might be your destiny helper in Life.
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Omotakins(m): 12:34pm On Mar 12, 2022
illicit:

Lexically they are not wrong

It is contextual

Anywhere such is asked, it's required you introduce yourself to the person asking. It's not contextual as you did put it. It's not the same as 'can I have a meeting with you?', or 'can I speak with you?'
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by illicit(m): 12:46pm On Mar 12, 2022
Omotakins:
Anywhere such is asked, it's required you introduce yourself to the person asking. It's not contextual as you did put it. It's not the same as 'can I have a meeting with you?', or 'can I speak with you?'

Lexically, syntactically and semantically they are not wrong

What you are taking about is relative
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Omotakins(m): 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2022
illicit:

Lexically, syntactically and semantically they are not wrong

What you are taking about is relative
All right
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by linnyx: 6:39am On Mar 13, 2022
Mercychen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SIEoss-gn8

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

This is so hilarious ����
What you don't know you don't know. What you don't understand you don't understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by linnyx: 6:42am On Mar 13, 2022
illicit:
They are not all wrong

Apart from the last guy the others are all shades of wrong. Can I meet you is another way of saying please introduce yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 13, 2022
linnyx:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

This is so hilarious ����
What you don't know you don't know. What you don't understand you don't understand.

Why won't you know?

You prolly haven't been to a Nigerian interview before.

linnyx:

Apart from the last guy the others are all shades of wrong. Can I meet you is another way of saying please introduce yourself.

Tell them.
Re: Guys, Can I Meet Y'all? by linnyx: 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
[quote author=Mercychen post=110988240]

Why won't you know?

You prolly haven't been to a Nigerian interview before.

You will be shocked at the very basic things you expect people to know that they don't know.

(1) (Reply)

My Neighbour / What Are You Grateful For In The Year 2022? / Bride Price In Some Places In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.