Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment (2554 Views)

Abdulrasheed Bawa Moved From DSS Headquarters To Private Facility / Lai Mohammed: "We Lost Twitter Headquarters To Ghana Due To EndSARS Protest" / FG Gives FAAN, NAMA, Others 45 Days To Relocate Headquarters To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by LLiKYekoba: 10:59am On Mar 12, 2022
SmartPolician:

There's no way Guinness will relocate its headquarters and deny it. For what exactly? This is fake news!

Read the press statement well, read between the lines.

They only denied not leaving Nigeria, but refused to deny moving their HQ out of Nigeria. Even dunlop released similar statement when they left Oba Akran and relocated their HQ to Ghana, making their office in Oba Akran an ordinary warehouse for storage of their tires shipped into Nigeria.

Read with your brain activated.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 11:04am On Mar 12, 2022
What is headquarters

People just talking nonsense with pride

Guinness Nigeria is a company listed on the Nigerian stock exchange and is owned by Diageo(majority) and other Nigerian shareholders

It is a NIGERIAN Company with majority shareholding by Diageo but with Nigerian Shareholders

Guinness Ghana is ANOTHER company, a DIFFERENT company . A completely different legal entity

1 Like

Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Barryseal: 11:06am On Mar 12, 2022
adekanmbi1986:
Guinness released a statement that the publication on the subject is false.
That's just corporate PR spin. Shoprite did the same before doing the needful.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 12, 2022
EastisBae:

You must be very gullible and easy to decieve. The argument is that they've moved their headquarters to Ghana and even in the press release, they never denied it, instead they kept using bogus words to dance around it.

FYI, Nigeria is their biggest market in this region and most of their assets are in Nigeria too, and no investor will abandon its biggest market to rivals! However, when you move your headquarters away from your biggest market and asset base to another country, means the bulk of your taxes, logistics, recruitment etc will be conducted there and that's a massive loss to Nigeria.

Secondly, it is a vote of no confidence on the economy, and could signal other investors to stay away from Nigeria.

That you're not seeing the tragedy in all these shows you're missing the bigger picture.

Not correct. They have been clear in denying a move out of Nigeria and denouncing it as the work of "faceless persons purporting to be property agents".The whole rumour was likely started by scammer looking to dupe gullible land/property buyers.

Guiness are actually consolidating on their investments in Nigeria. They are moving to a new head office and not to "Headquarters" in Ghana or anywhere else.

Still amusing you'd say the part in bold though. Do you think Guiness is a Ladipo spare part shop that can afford to be duplicitious in action and speech over what is inevitable and would become reality?

There is more to life than you limited, myopic and ignorant understanding of it.

I dont know the worth of 'citizen' who, without minimal checks, only ever want to automatically believe everything negative about their own nation.
Even when corrected you continue to insist the negative claims, unsubstantiated in the first place, are correct.

https://www.businessamlive.com/guinness-not-leaving-nigeria-investing-more-creating-jobs/

Guinness Nigeria Plc, part of the world’s largest premium drinks company, Diageo Plc., and home of the first Guinness brewery outside of the British Isles, says it is not leaving Nigeria, but rather, it is committing more investment in Nigeria, serving its revered consumers and creating more job opportunities for Nigerians.

The company said the information is not in tandem with its current expansion and investment drive, as it recently reaffirmed its long-term strategic expansion plans in Nigeria with the acquisition of an additional 25-acre commercial property in the Ogba industrial area of Lagos purchased as recently as late 2021.

“The attention of the Management of Guinness Nigeria Plc has been drawn to some false, malicious, and misleading publication trending on some social media platforms falsely alleging that Guinness Nigeria is relocating out of Nigeria and therefore planning to sell its Ikeja Brewery site.

A bogus ‘sales brochure’ circulating online in various formats claims that the Ikeja site sale is part of an exit plan, and this falsehood is being irresponsibly circulated by faceless persons purporting to be property agents.

Contrary to the false information being circulated by detractors, we are renewed in our efforts to serve our revered consumers and create more job opportunities for Nigerians as seen in the new $5 million additional production line recently commissioned at our Brewery in Ogba, Lagos in October 2021.

We are also pleased to state that we are on the verge of completing work on our new ultra-modern head office block located in Ikeja where we will be moving in the next few weeks.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by AntiBMC(m): 11:17am On Mar 12, 2022
Ewwweee! Is all I have to say. grin
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Natajo2021: 11:30am On Mar 12, 2022
seborrhic:
The only thing Buhari cannot destroy is probably Bharam.
Every good thing that has unfortunately come to pass by his monumentally incompetent hands has been scorched.
Nigeria has paid the highest ever electricity tariff since the existence of Nigeria,yet we have recorded the poorest supply of electricity,reaching a nadir of just about 1000KW!
Despite almost yearly increases in electricity tariff since 2015,no a single watt has been added!!
He met a thriving middle class,but just like in 1983 or 84,he has practically wiiped it out where honest working people can live a moderately decent live.Now it's just largely the very rich and very poor,and the mindset now is that to buy something like a decent tokunboh car and build a house is either you are doing yahoo yahoo and its various hybrids or you are doing one corrupt deed or the other at your place of employment.
His deluded sycophants in the face of nothing to show for his 8 years of waste trumpet he has built infrastructure,but travel through the length and breath of Nigeria and one would find from SS to SE to SWest and even Nwest,NEast and Ncentral,roads have never been this dilapidated.
I stand to be corrected but I have not seen one major federal government road Buhari initiated,constructed and commissioned since he took office.
The likes of ShopRite before he took office used to open at least one branch in each geopolitical zone of Nigeria.Since 2015 it's only closures I have been reading of ShopRite centres.

You are 100% right.
The only thing Buhari cannot destroy does not exist with the exception of Fulani herdsmen and bokoharam.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Parachoko: 3:10pm On Mar 12, 2022
aribisala0:
They will not try it

Nigeria is the second largest market for Guinness after the UK in the world
We drink more Guinness that the Republic of Ireland

Also Nigeran Guinness is exported to the UK where lots of Nigerians live
Nigerian Guinness is retailed( with the bottle) for £3.50 so the company is making a lot of money from Nigerian operations
Is the taste of Guinness Nigeria different from that of the UK?
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 3:51pm On Mar 12, 2022
Parachoko:
Is the taste of Guinness Nigeria different from that of the UK?
lol
Yes. and 50% stronger. Nigerian Guinness is called Foreign Extra Stout and is 7.5 % alcohol . They drink what they call Draught is about 5% alcohol . It is supplied in pressurized Metal barrels or cylinders about 140 Litres connected to a tap.
At some point during Babangida's government due to Forex shortage I believe some little local content was added to the formula. The "secret formula" is a concentrate that is shipped from Ireland which is where Guinness started. Guinness now belongs to a company headquartered in London; Diageo. Sorry for digressing but it is really worth studying and learning from the UK

Many companies that did not originate in the UK are headquartered there. We need that in Africa if we are going to have a trading region. Alcohol is big bigness and there is no homegrown Nigerian brand of international alcohol bigger than Nigerian Guinness. It is quite popular in the UK. Why can't we package all those herbal jedi etc??
The idea of sending us one formula from Dublin is annoying Nigerians are smart enough to come up with better formulas

On the Shelves in the UK is another Foreign Extra Stout also 7.5% but only small bottles. It is the same as the old bottles from Nigeria which has changed in shape. I believe this comes from Dublin and is a little cheaper than the Nigerian one. I believe a lot of Guinness is being exported from Nigeria right now and is good for them because the exchange rate is favourable
On the Shelf there is a pack of 4 Small going for a little under £7 (sold with the bottle).
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Parachoko: 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2022
aribisala0:
lol
Yes. and 50% stronger. Nigerian Guinness is called Foreign Extra Stout and is 7.5 % alcohol . They drink what they call Draught is about 5% alcohol . It is supplied in pressurized Metal barrels or cylinders about 140 Litres connected to a tap.
At some point during Babangida's government due to Forex shortage I believe some little local content was added to the formula. The "secret formula" is a concentrate that is shipped from Ireland which is where Guinness started. Guinness now belongs to a company headquartered in London; Diageo. Sorry for digressing but it is really worth studying and learning from the UK

Many companies that did not originate in the UK are headquartered there. We need that in Africa if we are going to have a trading region. Alcohol is big bigness and there is no homegrown Nigerian brand of international alcohol bigger than Nigerian Guinness. It is quite popular in the UK. Why can't we package all those herbal jedi etc??
The idea of sending us one formula from Dublin is annoying Nigerians are smart enough to come up with better formulas

On the Shelves in the UK is another Foreign Extra Stout also 7.5% but only small bottles. It is the same as the old bottles from Nigeria which has changed in shape. I believe this comes from Dublin and is a little cheaper than the Nigerian one. I believe a lot of Guinness is being exported from Nigeria right now and is good for them because the exchange rate is favourable
On the Shelf there is a pack of 4 Small going for a little under £7 (sold with the bottle).

Thank you for the explanation.

I'm a big fan of stout, the likes of Legend, Turbo and Trophy stout have nothing on Guinness.

Do you think people will drink the likes of orijin in europe cheesy
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by GeneralDae: 4:50pm On Mar 12, 2022
Fake News
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2022
Parachoko:
Thank you for the explanation.

I'm a big fan of stout, the likes of Legend, Turbo and Trophy stout have nothing on Guinness.

Do you think people will drink the likes of orijin in europe cheesy
If you hype it enough though the market space is crowded and there is protectionism
Pure Alcohol is a clear bitter liquid not very palatable that is highly soluble to oils and flavours e.g perfumes . Brandy and whisky contains the essence of wood barrels so . If you can do the research and find a flavour like Ewedu flavoured alcohol maybe you will hammer. If you enjoy cooking and playing with flavors there is no limit to what you can do with alcohol just like with music there is always something new

1 Like

Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by EastisBae: 5:09pm On Mar 12, 2022
SmartPolician:

There's no way Guinness will relocate its headquarters and deny it. For what exactly? This is fake news!

Damn it, you guys are not reading in-between the lines! Of course they didn't deny it and neither did they accept it.

Now, let me make it clear to you what they did, by trying to be smart.

The question is: Guinness, are you moving your headquarters from Nigeria to Ghana?

Now, see their answer: we are not leaving Nigeria, people should disregard those wicked rumors bla bla bla.

Can't you guys understand that moving your headquarters away from Nigeria to Ghana is a totally different thing to Guinness leaving Nigeria completely?

The fact they dodged the question already shows they intend to move their headquarters to Ghana! Otherwise, they would have categorically answered the question with something like: no, our headquarters will remain in Nigeria.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by EastisBae: 5:18pm On Mar 12, 2022
Dsalvo:

Not correct. They have been clear in denying a move out of Nigeria and denouncing it as the work of "faceless persons purporting to be property agents".The whole rumour was likely started by scammer looking to dupe gullible land/property buyers.

Guiness are actually consolidating on their investments in Nigeria. They are moving to a new head office and not to "Headquarters" in Ghana or anywhere else.

Still amusing you'd say the part in bold though. Do you think Guiness is a Ladipo spare part shop that can afford to be duplicitious in action and speech over what is inevitable and would become reality?

There is more to life than you limited, myopic and ignorant understanding of it.

I dont know the worth of 'citizen' who, without minimal checks, only ever want to automatically believe everything negative about their own nation.
Even when corrected you continue to insist the negative claims, unsubstantiated in the first place, are correct.

https://www.businessamlive.com/guinness-not-leaving-nigeria-investing-more-creating-jobs/

Now, I understand why Nigerians are easily scammed. Check all the quotes you highlighted, is there anywhere they answered the question directly?

Guinness has continued to say they're not living Nigeria when the question being asked is about their headquarters. Are you trying to say they don't understand the bone of contention here or they can't explain themselves well?

They simply dodge the question by saying they're not leaving Nigeria. Of course, how on earth will anyone imagine they would leave Nigeria with all their assets here and market share? But they can relocate their headquarters to Ghana just like Michelin and others did while still making money in Nigeria.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by GeneralDae: 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2022
EastisBae:

Now, I understand why Nigerians are easily scammed. Check all the quotes you highlighted, is there anywhere they answered the question directly?

Guinness has continued to say they're not living Nigeria when the question being asked is about their headquarters. Are you trying to say they don't understand the bone of contention here or they can't explain themselves well?

They simply dodge the question by saying they're not leaving Nigeria. Of course, how on earth will anyone imagine they would leave Nigeria with all their assets here and market share? But they can relocate their headquarters to Ghana just like Michelin and others did while still making money in Nigeria.
There is Guinness Ghana which is different from Guiness Nigeria. So how can the headquarters of Guinness Nigeria be moved to Ghana? Guinness have been in Ghana since 1960.
Guinness also made bigger profit relatively in Nigeria in 2021, so why would they move?
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by tungamaje: 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2022
aribisala0:
They will not try it

Nigeria is the second largest market for Guinness after the UK in the world
We drink more Guinness that the Republic of Ireland

Also Nigeran Guinness is exported to the UK where lots of Nigerians live
Nigerian Guinness is retailed( with the bottle) for £3.50 so the company is making a lot of money from Nigerian operations

We are the largest market, but be sincere and tell me if you still see people around drinking Malta Guiness. Even the consumption of their alcoholic beverages has already dropped . So forget about tge biggest market stuff, the economy is declining
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2022
GeneralDae:

There is Guiness Ghana which is different from Guiness Nigeria. So how can the headquarters of Guiness Nigeria be moved to Ghana? Guiness have been in Ghana since 1960.
There are many illiterates who think they know more than they really do

Guinness Nigeria is a Nigeran company registered with CAC and traded on the Stock Exchange . About 60% of its shares are owned by Diageo headquartered in London..
I do not know the management structure so t is not impossible that the operational chain of command from Lagos to London may pass through Ghana though I doubt it. Assuming without conceding that has even happened that does not equate to moving headquarters. The Nigerian company will still pay its taxes and dividends in Nigeria.
I remember for a while Abacha after taking over was operating from Lagos even though Abuja was the Capital
So There may be a chain of reporting flowing through Ghana though I cannot see why. That is nothing to do with "headquarters" > The headquarters of Diageo is in London

1 Like

Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 6:20pm On Mar 12, 2022
tungamaje:

We are the largest market, but be sincere and tell me if you still see people around drinking Malta Guiness. Even the consumption of their alcoholic beverages has already dropped . So forget about the biggest market stuff, the economy is declining
Well I prefer to deal with facts and figures rather than counting what my neighbours drink.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/02/guinness-nigeria-continues-on-profitability-path-with-n8-820bn-pat-surge/#:~:text=The%20results%20which%20were%20released,the%202020%2D2021%20financial%20year.

Mind you The company exports some of its products which are highly in demand by diaspora Nigerians
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/276878120

The company is listed on the Stock Exchange so its financial statements are in the public domain

You say the economy is declining but the company is growing revenue 51% yoy

How many companies have a Revenue of $200 million in 6 months> ?

The economy s declining but we are buying loads of Tramadol, molly and whatever . Nigerians are increasing their consumption of alcohol yearly
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by GeneralDae: 6:29pm On Mar 12, 2022
tungamaje:

We are the largest market, but be sincere and tell me if you still see people around drinking Malta Guiness. Even the consumption of their alcoholic beverages has already dropped . So forget about tge biggest market stuff, the economy is declining
But Guinness made a huge growth in Nigeria in 2021 comparatively, so should he forget about that too?
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by GeneralDae: 6:31pm On Mar 12, 2022
aribisala0:
Well I prefer to deal with facts and figures rather than counting what my neighbours drink.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/02/guinness-nigeria-continues-on-profitability-path-with-n8-820bn-pat-surge/#:~:text=The%20results%20which%20were%20released,the%202020%2D2021%20financial%20year.

Mind you The company exports some of its products which are highly in demand by diaspora Nigerians
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/276878120

The company is listed on the Stock Exchange so its financial statements are in the public domain

You say the economy is declining but the company is growing revenue 51% yoy

How many companies have a Revenue of $200 million in 6 months> ?

The economy s declining but we are buying loads of Tramadol, molly and whatever . Nigerians are increasing their consumption of alcohol yearly
Nigerians are funny.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2022
Instead of those braindead bums in the national ASSembly to make laws protecting Nigerians and the Nigerian market, they'd rather be thinking of allocation. If they're relocating to Ghana, then close the Nigerian market to them. See who loses. But Nigeria is being run by morons.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by GeneralDae: 6:44pm On Mar 12, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:
Instead of those braindead bums in the national ASSembly to make laws protecting Nigerians and the Nigerian market, they'd rather be thinking of allocation. If they're relocating to Ghana, then close the Nigerian market to them. See who loses. But Nigeria is being run by morons.
It's fake news, they are not relocating.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by aribisala0(m): 6:56pm On Mar 12, 2022
GeneralDae:

Nigerians are funny.
Fery Vunny
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by dc23(m): 3:46pm On Mar 13, 2022
First it's important to note that there is DIAGIO which is GUINESS GHANA. GUINESS NIG PLC moving HQ to Ghana is simply to avoid high corporate taxes in Nigeria. It's even possible they the negotiated some tax exemption in Ghana.

This means they would only now be paying VAT on their sale of drinks to distributors. Very sensible move if u ask me.
Re: Guinness Nigeria Moves Headquarters To Ghana Amid Harsh Business Environment by yemex04(m): 4:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
GeneralDae:

There is Guinness Ghana which is different from Guiness Nigeria. So how can the headquarters of Guinness Nigeria be moved to Ghana? Guinness have been in Ghana since 1960.
Guinness also made bigger profit relatively in Nigeria in 2021, so why would they move?

God bless you.
It's that simple but we have so many educated illiterates in this forum.

(1) (2) (Reply)

1999 Presidential Election Lagos Result Beat The Whole Of Southeast / Even The Birds Of The Sky Knows That It Is The Turn Of The Igbo Man~pictures / Tinubu: "A Father Is A Mother Of A Child When The Child Is Childless"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.