Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,303 members, 7,836,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy (3044 Views)

The Story Of The Rich Man And Lazarus Is Not A Parable / Parable Of The Rich Man And Lazarus: What Was The Sin Of The Rich Man? / Bible Parable And Sermon: The Prodigal Son and what it really means (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Broveens42(m): 8:16pm On Mar 15, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Correction!
Paul was a Lawyer, and A Lawyer Always knows Law!

So that is him stating The Law and warning people to Obey The Law!

And "celibacy" is not the issue, so stop raising Diversionary Issues.

So you don't know philosophy is the mother of all profession?

There is nothing like law about what he said. It is philosophy in action (mother of law)
It's an opinion; people's philosophy about life.

For instance, take a look at 1corinthians 7

10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband.

When you view this as a law, and citing verse 10, then the implication is that, you would say all female congregants who left their husbands erred.

But then you forgot that verse 11 also gave you an option to leave.

It's differing philosophies
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Dtruthspeaker: 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
Broveens42:

So you don't know philosophy is the mother of all profession?

Nope!

Law is The First and Highest, of All. grin

It's The Law, that made all things including the last thing created in this world, called man, who was permitted by Law to think (philosophize) grin

Broveens42:

There is nothing like law about what he said. It is philosophy in action (mother of law)
It's an opinion; people's philosophy about life.

For instance, take a look at 1corinthians...10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.

See, how you slip and fall yet again? grin

"I command"...! That's Law! cheesy

Broveens42:
But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband.

The question is why? Now Lawyer Paul would have told you, because The far reaching consequences of The Law of Marriage and Divorce (Deuteronomy 24 and the risk of breaking The Law.

'Thou shalt not cause the Land to sin" is The Law!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Broveens42(m): 6:19am On Mar 16, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Nope!

Law is The First and Highest, of All. grin

It's The Law, that made all things including the last thing created in this world, called man, who was permitted by Law to think (philosophize) grin

See, how you slip and fall yet again? grin

"I command"...! That's Law! cheesy

The question is why? Now Lawyer Paul would have told you, because The far reaching consequences of The Law of Marriage and Divorce (Deuteronomy 24 and the risk of breaking The Law.

'Thou shalt not cause the Land to sin" is The Law!

Exactly what I said..
You will always conclude it's a law with or without "I command" because you think there is no option to leave the marriage in verse 11.

There is nothing lawful about it. It's differing opinions.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Dtruthspeaker: 6:57am On Mar 16, 2022
Broveens42:

There is nothing lawful about it. It's differing opinions.

Everything starts with Law and ends with Law and The Law provided for verse 11. But, it has a very huge consequence which Paul is only warning, that do not be hasty to exercise that option. It would not be easy to live within The Law after that.

That is what he warns.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Broveens42(m): 8:23am On Mar 16, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Everything starts with Law and ends with Law and The Law provided for verse 11. But, it has a very huge consequence which Paul is only warning, that do not be hasty to exercise that option. It would not be easy to live within The Law after that.

That is what he warns.

You don't get it. Do you ?

Verse 10 said you shouldn't even depart at all. Meaning if you do, (no matter the conditions as provided for verse 11) then in the eyes of the so called 'law' , you have erred.

That's why I said they are just opinions.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 9:09am On Mar 16, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

So, in the end, you still proved Mickykarim: right. That your post was
"SENSELESS AND STUPID THROUGH AND THROUGH"!

Secondly, your want and desire for evil shall surely be filled, and ye shall have evil more than is meet, for if thine eyes was good, ye would have seen that virgin maids accompany the Bride to the wedding. Psalm 45:14.

Od course it is expected that an evil like you will marry a prostitute who shall be accompanied by her fellow whores and sisters in prostitution!

So, of course it is understandable why a dirty LovePeddler-eating pig like you would be shouting "virgin", upandan.

Of cos it will be senseless to those who don't want to see the truth! I don't even need to read the off points you typed! They are just unrelated and makes only stupid sense!

Cursed shall you be upon the earth and all evils shall locate you wherever you go.
May this curse return to you in manifolds! When you have no foothold in the argument na to curse remain!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Dtruthspeaker: 3:08pm On Mar 16, 2022
Broveens42:

You don't get it. Do you ?

Verse 10 said you shouldn't even depart at all. Meaning if you do, (no matter the conditions as provided for verse 11) then in the eyes of the so called 'law' , you have erred.

That's why I said they are just opinions.

If your grouse is "opinion" do note, that EVERY TIME A PERSON SPEAKS, an opinion is given, so this is taken for granted. Therefore, what is important, is that we understand what the speaker is saying!

And what Paul is saying, is what I have explained earlier, which is "do not be in a hurry to divorce, as it is not going to be easy living a sinless life after the divorce". Simple!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Miracle2022: 11:35am On May 01, 2022
AntiChristian:

The unmarried virgins were waiting for the bridegroom ( not bridegrooms)!

Those that were ready went to meet the groom!

Many ladies vs one groom!

That's polygyny!
they were waiting for the groom. So all ladies that used to wait for the groom in the church are going to marry the groom?
The devil is really using you. Everybody was waiting for the groom, the place was locked no one was allow to enter until the groom come and the moment the groom enters the get will be locked again, so those virgins were eagerly waiting for the groom so that they will be able to enter the place. Did he say the 5 virgins were waiting for their husband?
Please don't allow yourself to be used by the devil to propagate his mission.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by aksule(m): 12:10pm On May 01, 2022
Look at us getting angry on an issue that's very personal. He is an adult. Kindly leave him to lead his life the way that suits him. Why working yourselves up. All these quotations are not necessary. These religions are really telling on our intelligence. Our forefathers lived there lives peacefully without all these quotations. The Arabs and Europe brought us the enlightenment that threw our traditions and cultures to the winds.
We are now trying desperately to teach these forbearers of these religions that Nigeria knows better than them. Meanwhile, we are brainwashed to forget about the good sides of our values either polygamy or monogamy hence unnecessary debates on a man or woman's private life.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 9:51pm On May 01, 2022
Miracle2022:
they were waiting for the groom. So all ladies that used to wait for the groom in the church are going to marry the groom?
The devil is really using you. Everybody was waiting for the groom, the place was locked no one was allow to enter until the groom come and the moment the groom enters the get will be locked again, so those virgins were eagerly waiting for the groom so that they will be able to enter the place. Did he say the 5 virgins were waiting for their husband?

Why would you like to interpret a parable as if its literal.

Jesus is the groom. Are there many Jesus for the brides? It's only one Jesus or groom for them all. A symbol of polygamy.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Miracle2022: 5:32am On May 02, 2022
AntiChristian:

Why would you like to interpret a parable as if its literal.

Jesus is the groom. Are there many Jesus for the brides? It's only one Jesus or groom for them all. A symbol of polygamy.
sorry, I didn't see your name before I reply you, now that iam seeing the horrible name I will never reply you again.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 5:52am On May 02, 2022
Miracle2022:
sorry, I didn't see your name before I reply you, now that iam seeing the horrible name I will never reply you again.

Lol
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by 1873dk: 6:24am On May 02, 2022
[s]
Miracle2022:
[/s]
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 1:53pm On May 02, 2022
Gfxcreatives:

To answer your question, in those days, I mean the period Jesus was on Earth the jews married more than one wife, and he was speaking to them so he had to use what they are familiar with to make example to them but that doesn't mean he supported it but just using what they are used to clarify what he wanted them to understand. You will understand that before he died and even after he died he changed alot of things that the law of Moses allowed, like divorce, the law of Moses allowed it but later on Jesus had to change it by letting them know that Moses allowed it because of the hardness of their hearts but not the original plan of God for marriage from the begining. So the jews were doing lots of things before Christ came that wasn't the original plan of God, and Jesus used some of the things they can relate to, to teach them but that doesn't mean because he used it, then he supports it.

Jesus didn't come to abolish the law and Prophets according to Mathew 5: 17.

Jesus knew Jews were polygamous so why didn't he outrightly forbid it?

God has no original plan for monogamy.

Cos a normal woman releases one egg per month. A man on the other hand can release up to 120million sperms daily.

So don't talk about the original plan of God here.

Why did God himself give David more wives after His original monogamy plan?
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by lezz(m): 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2022
Mickykarim:
I have observed you are about beating about the bush. You have refused to answer my earlier questions instead responded with several SENSELESS BASLESS questions such as below.

"What does bridegroom mean to you? How does many ladies went to meet one bridegroom?".

LET ME CONCEDE TO YOUR BUFFOONERY FOR ONCE AND THE PURPOSE OF THEIS DISCUSS THAT I DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD "bridegroom" WHICH I COULD EASILY LOOK UP AND COME UP WITH THE MEANING.

Having proved the ABSURDITY of your asking above. Let me put this to the test of your very crass head once more time.

"Where did the Bible indicate the bridegroom married all the virgins? Your comprehension is hereby put to question if a bridegroom was to choose from coteries of single ladies and or Virgins."

Hopefully, you still remember the TITLE of this exchange and I might have to remind and try to help your porous brain that it is about the INCOHERENCE of a DISJOINTED title head from the body. Including the HERESY of UMARRIED virgins against POLYGAMY.

Where is the correlation of an ambiguous MISINTERPRETATION of the SCRIPTURES?
your phone should be taken from you for abuse!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by lezz(m): 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2022
Kenneth4u205:
I understand the origin of your confusion.the way marriage is conducted then is different from how we do it today. In those days,when a young man want to get married, all the young virgins will be invited for a dance and he will chose his wife from among them .they young man you mentioned will have to chose from one of those ten virgins.Go and read the book of Esther in the Bible . How thousands of virgin were invited but Esther was finally chosen as the king wife
if we use your analogy of Esther's case what it means with Jesus'parable is that only one of the prepared 5 virgins was eventually chosen and the remaining 4 were rejected even though they were ready . Their position now being like that of the other 5 unprepared virgins.

Surely that isn't what that parable is about and clearly Esther's case isn't applicable here
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by RoyalDiadems: 4:45pm On Sep 11, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

So in the weddings you attended were you were not blocked by the bouncers, you married both the bride and the women in there and all of them became your wives? sad

You are above and beyond all reasonable and unreasonable doubt, Mad, both in Truth and in deed!

It shall never be well with your soul forever and ever. Amen!

Please this isn't Christlike.

I reverse it in Jesus name. May the Lord forgive you.

Colossians 4:6

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Dtruthspeaker: 3:50am On Sep 15, 2022
RoyalDiadems:

Please this isn't Christlike.

I reverse it in Jesus name. May the Lord forgive you.

Colossians 4:6

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

"A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent." John Calvin

Thank you brother, I understand what you have in mind but look again, the introductory words of Letter to Colossians explains who the Bible is for, which is only for those who are in Christ and those love The Lord.

"2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ"

All evils and anti-God and and anti-Christ are excluded.

Therefore Titus and Psalms and every scripture against the enemies of God can and should be used against those who do not conduct themselves reasonably and properly, speaking Lies and evil against The Lord.

Titus 1:9-14
King James Version
9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

Psalm 5 (10/11)
10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by civboy: 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2023
What if the groom came for one virgin and the other virgins were just maids of honor?
In traditional Jewish marriage back then, it was always one groom coming to seek one bride and her friends. You can see in the Song of songs that the main woman occasionally talked with other girls who were present as well.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:33am On Jan 14, 2023
Jesus used a lot of things familiar to his people as illustrations to drive home his point:

Fishing! Matthew 4:19
Farming! Matthew 13:3
Shepherding! John 10:1-2
Trading! Matthew 25:14-15
Marriage feast! Matthew 22:2 and so on!

All these is just to drive home his point so that his listeners who are familiar with these things will fully understand what he is saying through the use of illustrations. But when talking about marriage Jesus reminded his listeners what God initiated as marriage in the beginning {Matthew 19:4 compare to Genesis 2:24} Jesus is here emphasizing that if we want to live in Paradise we must return to the standard God set in the beginning:
One Adam=One Eve
That's the setting that can never ever lead to envy, jealousy or hatred but if anyone wants to continue building on the lifestyles of imperfect humans then we can't force them to concur.
So whether polygamy, polyandry or marrying animals can continue among those who don't want to obey the voice of God's son! Revelations 22:11-12 smiley

1 Like

Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by McLizbae: 1:40pm On Oct 22, 2023
Virgin preparing for the groom simply means that the groom is coming to choose his wife among the beautiful virgins.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Padipadi(m): 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2023
AntiChristian:

It's not about marriage in that it was a parable that means something entire not marriage related.

But it still emphasized a groom getting married to many virgins as in polygamy!
I v been observing you.
All you say is trash about bible verses. You know you are guilty of blasphemy and you should be beheaded or burnt to death!
Laye laye e, don't come here to say trash about Christianity. Stay in your lane with lukgaf, rashduct4luv and other janjaweêds!

Let's believe koran justified terrorism cos your family members in Boko Haram, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Hezbollah etc all took it out of the Koran and it's Muhammad that wrote it o!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Padipadi(m): 10:10pm On Oct 22, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
Jesus used a lot of things familiar to his people as illustrations to drive home his point:

Fishing! Matthew 4:19
Farming! Matthew 13:3
Shepherding! John 10:1-2
Trading! Matthew 25:14-15
Marriage feast! Matthew 22:2 and so on!

All these is just to drive home his point so that his listeners who are familiar with these things will fully understand what he is saying through the use of illustrations. But when talking about marriage Jesus reminded his listeners what God initiated as marriage in the beginning {Matthew 19:4 compare to Genesis 2:24} Jesus is here emphasizing that if we want to live in Paradise we must return to the standard God set in the beginning:
One Adam=One Eve
That's the setting that can never ever lead to envy, jealousy or hatred but if anyone wants to continue building on the lifestyles of imperfect humans then we can't force them to concur.
So whether polygamy, polyandry or marrying animals can continue among those who don't want to obey the voice of God's son! Revelations 22:11-12 smiley
God bless you. Jesus was talking about the kingdom of God with many parables and that child called AntiChristian is twisting it for polygamy.
If he cherished 3somes, 72 virginsomes, he should strap himself and blow up to get to hos abyss of virgins asap.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 6:28am On Oct 23, 2023
Padipadi:

God bless you. Jesus was talking about the kingdom of God with many parables and that child called AntiChristian is twisting it for polygamy.
If he cherished 3somes, 72 virginsomes, he should strap himself and blow up to get to hos abyss of virgins asap.

I don't know why the so-called Christians that are supposed to be Christlike are so abusive and insulting like this!

Anyways, the biblical Christ was like that too.

For your info, I agree the passage was symbolic and not literal.

But telling me it doesn't include polygamy, even in its symbolism, is sheer hypocrisy, bigotry and falsehood peddling.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 8:07am On Oct 23, 2023
Padipadi:

I v been observing you.
All you say is trash about bible verses. You know you are guilty of blasphemy and you should be beheaded or burnt to death!
Laye laye e, don't come here to say trash about Christianity. Stay in your lane with lukgaf, rashduct4luv and other janjaweêds!

Let's believe koran justified terrorism cos your family members in Boko Haram, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Hezbollah etc all took it out of the Koran and it's Muhammad that wrote it o!

I have said it before!
Your are the real Christian.
Jesus too was harsh like this.

The Biblical Jesus Didn't Know How To Preach Properly

Jesus wasn't a good preacher...

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Luke 11:40
You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

What type of perfect role model is this to follow? He went around insulting people while he preached, while at the same time he told his followers to show love to their enemies? He even went so far as calling one of his disciples "Satan"!! Why couldn't Jesus be more patient and hold his tongue?

Jesus even got a bit physical at times...

John 2:15
When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"

What authority did Jesus have to do such a thing? This story seems to teach us that vigilantism is okay at times.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Padipadi(m): 9:22am On Oct 23, 2023
AntiChristian:

I have said it before!
Your are the real Christian.
Jesus too was harsh like this.

The Biblical Jesus Didn't Know How To Preach Properly

Jesus wasn't a good preacher...

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Luke 11:40
You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

What type of perfect role model is this to follow? He went around insulting people while he preached, while at the same time he told his followers to show love to their enemies? He even went so far as calling one of his disciples "Satan"!! Why couldn't Jesus be more patient and hold his tongue?

Jesus even got a bit physical at times...

John 2:15
When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"

What authority did Jesus have to do such a thing? This story seems to teach us that vigilantism is okay at times.
Ahhh, all these lenu e?
You're condemned for blasphemy o!
Cos your koran knew how vital Issa is.

Jesus used the authority of God to talk.
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by AntiChristian: 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2023
Padipadi:

Ahhh, all these lenu e?
You're condemned for blasphemy o!
Cos your koran knew how vital Issa is.

Jesus used the authority of God to talk.

So which authority are you using to abuse me?

Issa didn't abuse in the Qur'an!
Re: Jesus Used A Parable That Includes Polygamy by Padipadi(m): 12:49pm On Oct 23, 2023
AntiChristian:

So which authority are you using to abuse me?

Issa didn't abuse in the Qur'an!
I never even abuse you. Na nuke you go collect you dz Hamas rat!
I m using the authority of Allah that created Muhammad to correct you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Member Of The Apostolic Church / If God Is Not The Author Of Confusion, What About The Tower Of Babel? / The End Of The Man Who Mocked God. (fury Vs Wilder)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.