Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,755 members, 7,813,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Never Look Down On Menial Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Never Look Down On Menial Jobs (23030 Views)

Jobs People Look Down, That They Are Now Doing. / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by IMASTEX: 8:47pm On Mar 15, 2022
samwash:

You are on point, I was discussing with a friend in Canada, he was telling me how a cleaner in a restaurant own & drive a nice car & also have access a good health insurance among others things.
We were actually using the cleaners salary to compare it's counterpart from Africa base on its expenditures.
What!!! What did I just read at bolded. That's like comparing a domestic cat and a tiger. You should be comparing a bank manager in Nigeria with a cleaner abroad, etc. grin grin grin In terms of quality of life generally. There is a reason house chores are shared among couples abroad, it isn't because they wouldn't want a house keeper. It's simply because it requires a minimum wage per hour to keep one. Trust me, the domestic staff will equally be able to own a car and a good life. That is obviously a country where things work. Not in Africa where you will be employed as a gate keeper for #10k a month, yet you will end up doing car washing, security, compound maintenance, general duty, etc. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by Welt100(m): 9:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
cooltola:
A job is a job as long it is legal and honest, it should be considered a worthy job. Most of these manual jobs e,g carpentry are big outside Nigeria. My point is that Nigeria need to start appreciate such workers and pay them more if they can.

OP this works you say, not only carpentry is really getting more publicity + good profit in Nigeria and in diaspora to the extent that most of us graduate who do mocked those who strived hard to learn it back then are now envying their wellbeing n lifestyle now
NB: i mean the serious and focused ones ooo

1 Like

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by Johnnyboy6757(m): 8:29am On Mar 16, 2022
[quote author=spice123 post=111038835][/quote] ehhh minister of education, miss or Mr I too know, I hailoooo
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by SecretPerv: 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2022
cooltola:
A job is a job as long it is legal and honest, it should be considered a worthy job. Most of these manual jobs e,g carpentry are big outside Nigeria. My point is that Nigeria need to start appreciate such workers and pay them more if they can.

Carpentry is not a mebial job.. Menial jobs bu definition are jobs that do not require any particular skill.. Like cleaning, car wash men etc.. Carpentry, plumbing for examples requires one to have gone through some form of formal/informal training.

2 Likes

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by apatheticme(f): 5:43pm On Mar 16, 2022
Cutezt:
They actually look down a lot on menial jobs not knowing those people cash out far more than they that are working salaried jobs.

One time, a company contacted me to shoot a video commercial for them and at first, they were pricing me like garri, then I ignored them but they kept on pressing and then I told them I have price packages for my jobs and sent them a quote alongside my portfolio site carrying my name as the website URL and they realized they were not dealing with your everyday point and shoot guy.

Then on the day of shooting, they were shocked when I and my crew pulled up in a Venza, they were expecting someone sweating with equipments up and down. Summary, till date, we still work together but their perception of me and my work has since changed and we deal on a professional level now, you want me to work for you? No problem, I send you a quote, you either pay or not, no dragging up and down.

My 1 day job is way above the monthly salary of your average Nigerian office worker. It's all about packaging and knowing your onion fam.

@bolded 100% true!
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by BeRightBack: 9:34pm On Mar 16, 2022
pansophist:
You can tell the quality of a person by how they treat people doing menial jobs. Lots of jobs classified as menial jobs pays higher than white collar jobs. Bus drivers easily make 500k monthly, and many have their own houses and train their kids in the uni.

Pls how possible is this?

Can you explain better
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by pansophist(m): 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2022
BeRightBack:

Pls how possible is this?

Can you explain better

Can you explain further ? I don't understand the question.
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by BeRightBack: 9:53pm On Mar 16, 2022
pansophist:

Can you explain further ? I don't understand the question.
how can a bus driver make such amount. if it's possible i do not mind leaving white colar job.
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by pansophist(m): 9:58pm On Mar 16, 2022
BeRightBack:

how can a bus driver make such amount.
if it's possible i do not mind leaving white colar job.

Oh, I thought its common knowledge. Uber drivers for example makes close to a million monthly. Check the uber thread and many actually post the snapshot of their financial dashboard. Choose uber, its at least more coded, packaged and you won't look rough. From police harassment, hot sun and dealing with touts.

But yes, menial jobs do pay alot than many white collar jobs. Humans are social beings, hence they like anything that show high status. Menial jobs basically mean "the sky is your limit", unlike white collar where your salary is fixed even if you earn billions for your boss.

3 Likes

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by BeRightBack: 10:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
pansophist:

Oh, I thought its common knowledge. Uber drivers for example makes close to a million monthly. Check the uber thread and many actually post the snapshot of their financial dashboard. Choose uber, its at least more coded, packaged and you won't look rough. From police harassment, hot sun and dealing with touts.

But yes, menial jobs do pay alot than many white collar jobs. Humans are social beings, hence they like anything that show high status. Menial jobs basically mean "the sky is your limit", unlike white collar where your salary is fixed even if you earn billions for your boss.

thanks for the response. But e-hailing is no longer lucrative as it used to be.
if you have knowledge on interstate transportation, pls share with me.
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by Maxxim: 7:14am On Mar 17, 2022
cooltola:
Carpentry and other construction jobs are different from menial jobs they're known as Skilled Trades, the problem here in this country is that there's this stigmatization esp from most Nigerian parents that aside white collar jobs others jobs are menial. But in most cases they make more than Y'all with a school degree, in U.s a skilled welder makes over 60$ per hour not to talk about those that work in the Rig and pipeline, the problem with skilled trade jobs is just that the stress is too much and most of this workers lacks financial planning.
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by Oweku: 3:05pm On Mar 17, 2022
DropsMic:

Naija girls left the room
lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed
grin grin
Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by cooltola(m): 4:02pm On Mar 17, 2022
Maxxim:

Carpentry and other construction jobs are different from menial jobs they're known as Skilled Trades, the problem here in this country is that there's this stigmatization esp from most Nigerian parents that aside white collar jobs others jobs are menial. But in most cases they make more than Y'all with a school degree, in U.s a skilled welder makes over 60$ per hour not to talk about those that work in the Rig and pipeline, the problem with skilled trade jobs is just that the stress is too much and most of this workers lacks financial planning.
I totally agree with you

1 Like

Re: Never Look Down On Menial Jobs by cooltola(m): 4:11pm On Mar 17, 2022
Cmanforall:

Appreciate all workers.
And why do you call them menial jobs? Those are skills that should be well appreciated in words and pay.
agreed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Favoured Me With A Job At Last! / Stop Mocking People Who Work 9-5jobs / P & G Sending Congratulatory Messages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.