Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Northern Nigeria Misconception! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Northern Nigeria Misconception! (2240 Views)

This Explains Northern Nigeria's Opposition To Resource Control / 19-year-old Boy Marries 15-year-old Girl In Northern Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Northern Nigeria Misconception! by Kdon2: 1:02pm On Mar 15, 2022
Somebody from Abuja sent me a link on Saturday March 5, 2022, while in a wedding reception in Kaduna and said I have to look at this write up by Professor Farooq A. Kperogi titled "Tinubu, Dogara and the Prison and Poison of Religious Politics"
Dated Saturday, March 05, 2022

I love the write up. Prof kperogi said alot of things that are correct about Religion and Politics in Nigeria but I needed to bring out some misconception , which many Nigerians including Professor believes to be true..

Prof. Farooq Kperogi said and I quote him. "The two most disadvantaged groups in Nigeria’s representational politics are northern Christians and Southern Muslims. In Nigeria’s internal geopolitics, these two groups are structurally invisible, politically subjugated, and told to be content with their political and symbolic marginality".

Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a Muslim from Osun/Lagos states, and Yakubu Dogara, a northern Christian from Bauchi State, embody this phenomenon eloquently. When Tinubu kick-started his run for the presidency in 2020, he settled on Yakubu Dogara to be his running mate to balance his ticket. It was one of the reasons Dogara defected from PDP to APC in July 2020". Though I found out reliably before writing this piece, it's not because of Tinubu Dogara moved to APC.

According to Kperogi and I quote him again. "Tinubu’s northern Muslim supporters told him—without subtlety, tact, or even pretense to evasion—that a northern Christian running mate to a southern Muslim candidate was unacceptable and was a surefire way to a resounding electoral defeat. Tinubu’s own internal polling later showed he’d get substantially more votes with a northern Muslim running mate than he would with a northern Christian running mate".

Prof. Kperogi also said for Tinubu to get a ticket to run for President his running mate have to be a Muslim from the North, according to his Northern backers. Kperogi also brought a history of what happened around 1990 where late Chief MKO Abiola choose a Northern Christain Pascal Bafyau from Adamawa but the Northern Muslims advised him that it will not sell unless a Muslim deputise for him , reason Baba Gana Kingibe was chosen.
Is it true the Islamic North are the Majority? I agree with Kperogi when he said "Good" Northern Christains are those who subordinate their Religious Identity. Which is true, in some meetings in the North some Christians don't mention Jesus while praying just to please their Muslim friends.

I completely disagree that any Muslim from the South selecting a Northern Christains to deputise for him is a political blunder. I learn reliably that the Tinubu Muslim Northern backers for Muslim Muslim ticket are pushing for Governor Fayemi of Ekiti and Osinbajo for President so that they can Deputise for them. Nigerians do not understand this Northern Muslims , they don't want to lose out. A Muslim from the South picking a Christian from the North as Vice President will lose out politically because they don't even trust the Yoruba Muslim even as President. Therefore its either they are the President of Nigeria or they must deputise for whoever is the President even if he was a Muslim from the South.

The century long Propaganda by the colonial Masters and the Muslim Northeners who control the media in the North made the world to believe Christians in the North are insignificant maybe 95% to 5% .The Nigerians in the South believe that lie that everybody in the North is a Muslim. So I am not surprised if Prof. Farooq Kperogi in his write up also share such sentiment. Many Southerners never believed we have indigenous Christians from Borno State until the Chibok Kidnap where almost 90% of the students are Christians indigenous of Chibok Borno State.

Let me briefly give the Population statistics in the
North:

1) North East
Adamawa state is 60% Christian
Taraba State is 70% Christian
Gombe State is 40% Christian(It could be more)
Borno State is 30% Christian
Bauchi State is 20% Christian
Yobe state is 20% Christian(it could be more)

2)North Central
Benue is 100% Christian
Plateau State is 90% Christian
Nasarawa state: the two largest ethnic groups are: Eggon the largest ethnic group is 80% Christian and Mada is 90% Christian. In Nassarawa we have alot of animists even in LGAs near Abuja the FCT.
Kogi state is 60% Christian: Igala is 70% Christian, Okun is 100% Christians while in Ebira Land Christians are 30%.
Kwara: Christians are 40% (it could be more)
Niger: 40% Christian ( We have high number of animists in Niger especially among the Dukawa People in Rijau LGA of Niger State)

North West:
Kano: 10% Christian(It could be more)
Katsina is 20% Christian (I can believe Christains could be upto 40% in Katsina , many indigenous Hausas in Katsina call Maguzawa are Christains)
Sokoto is 5% Christian
Zamfara is 20% Christian
Kebbi state is 30% Christian(We still have high number of animists Idol Worshippers in Kebbi especially among the Zuru and Dukawa people in Shanga LGA and around Yauri )
Kaduna state is 55% Christian.

I have been to Nassarawa State, Kano State , Kebbi State and Niger State , I noticed that in some of the villages in this Northern Nigeria States, the Mosque are empty nobody pray inside. One thing I noticed is only the village head and his family are Muslims under the payroll of Government but the others are animists. When I asked some of the villagers they say the government build the mosque believing one day all the villagers will convert to Islam and worship in the mosque. Thats why they built the mosque and a stranger will think the entire village are Muslims because of the presence of a large mosque in the village.

They say "but they Marry 4 wives and you marry 1 wife!" What a nonsense reasoning I call that! Polygamy has been existing in Saudi Arabia before Islam came to Nigeria why is Saudi Arabia not more populated than Great Britain People who marry only one wife?

Now, in analysing ethnic spread, you should know that even in Kano state and Jigawa State, we have the Kurama or Akurmi tribe in Kano south and in Jigawa South, with the exception of Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto, all other states in the north are dominated by non Hausa-Fulani tribes even if they are Muslims.

It will Interest you to know that tribes like, Igala, Nupe, Yorubas in Kogi do not discriminate based on Religion. This is one reason why the northern Oligarchs will never support census that enumerates Religion and tribe because it will expose the true numerical strength of each religion or tribe in Nigeria.

According to a politician from the South who was a former Chairman of a major political party in Nigeria and a former Personal assistant to 2 Nigerian democratically elected Presidents at Rex Hotel Kaduna where I was also present. He said the Middlebelt is not less than 50m People , he said they know it , everybody knows it, he said he is in Government they know it. I brought out the statistical analysis above. If Kaduna alone can have about 3 million Christians 2006 census according to LGAs, northern Nigeria should have not less than 60m Christians.

We are not minorities as they want you to believe rather the Hausa Fulani Muslims found mostly in Northwest Nigeria are the ones that always bring out this misrepresentation of facts secretly to pique us the Northern Christains as the minority.

WHY IS THE NORTHERN CHRISTAINS SILENT?

1) A Northern Christain boy is trained to be quite while a Northern Muslim boy is trained to speak out right from their Madarassa or Quranic schools. With whip the Mallam will whip them to talk. But many northern Christains are made to believe there is honour and dignity in keeping quite even in the face of provocation. It's just christianly regardless of the context.

2) Fear : Many Northern Christains come to my inbox telling me to keep low and be silent , don't put your family in danger.

3) Timidity: You have to respect Government even as injustice is facing you. Some Northern Christains believe Government can not be spoken against even when they are wrong because the Bible say Pray for Government.

4) Many Northern Christains are self centered if they can provide for their families, everybody can go to hell.

5) Inferiority complex , many Northern Christains more than a century their grand Parents have been marginalised and oppressed by this Northern Muslims therefore inferiority complex have sent in. Many feel they can not aspire for anything in Nigeria without the help of a Northern Muslim.

6) Northern Christains Elders are not helping matters, the youths are always looking for direction from the elders but the elders always failed them.

The Muslim North knew for a long time they are in the minority and they sat down during the military and make sure we are politically at disadvantage with the delineation of Polling units! Where I stay in Kaduna is a huge area with only 4 polling units , somewhere with a similar size and population where Muslims are would have almost 40 polling units. In some villages with Christian Population no single polling units. Many of us are disenfranchised from voting. That's the only reason why a Christian might find it difficult to win Kaduna. It's not because of Population but because of disenfranchisement and they delibrately did that before the coming of democracy in 1999.
I have to write this to discourage the insinuation that Northern Christains are minorities and insignificant.

Northern Christain leaders have to be one. A Nupe Christain will never have agenda against Nupe Muslim. An Igala Muslim will never have any agenda against an Igala Christain. The Fulanis are those with agenda! Even the Hausa man now has realised that the Fulani man is not working for Hausa interest. They are just using religion to get the bounty they need out of NIgeria. Fulanis are minorities in Nigeria therefore they must use religion to confused the other Northern Muslims against Northern Christains for their tribal Interest not even the Interest of Islam.

WHY DO YOU THINK THE NORTHERN MUSLIMS HATE THE WORD RESTRUCTURING?

They don't want their wickedness to be exposed and corrected because it will put them at a more disadvantage against their Northern Christain counterparts. Restructuring will correct the anomalies in the Nigeria complex. And they know it!

If the north want to contest these facts let Nigeria advocate a proper and well scrutinized census of the Nigeria population. Or why do you think the north is vehemently do all it could to frustrate restructuring?

2 Likes

Re: Northern Nigeria Misconception! by caritas4logos(m): 10:31am On Jun 17, 2022
Christians, in principle, are trained to be people of diligence and action with less talk. The Islamic defeat of the battle of yours 732 CE is a good example. Christians also have a say in their leadership. Gone are those days when few northern Fulanis used to deceive lots of Nigerians that they are born to rule them. The truth is that Anyone in Nigeria is born to rule.

Even if by right from Abraham between Isaac and Ismail, let's look at Israel and the Palestinians. Who would you say is born to rule the Harez? Who rules the UN?

Christianity in Nigeria needs governance but not for the sake of dominating Islam, butfor the world to have life to the full.
Re: Northern Nigeria Misconception! by kingRagnarr: 9:24am On Jun 19, 2022
I stop reading it when u said 55% of kaduna state population Christians����

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Offence And Crime? / To Whom It May Concern: nobody Loves Me,even On My Birthday! / Aloe Lips Balm (buy 2 Get 1 Free) Promo Offer, And Free Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.