Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,841 members, 7,817,492 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel (1489 Views)

Lets Discuss Car Milage: Is Your Car Actually Chopping Fuel / What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Abiola2akin: 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2022
My 2009 Toyota Corolla is showing 17.4 as average mpg, just city drive.
Pls what do you advise?
have not been paying attention to the fuel until this fuel scarcity period. My full tank take me like 300 to 310 miles

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by aieromon(m): 6:02pm On Mar 15, 2022
Abiola2akin:
Pls what do you advise?
have not been paying attention to the fuel until this fuel scarcity period. My full tank take me like 300 to 310 miles

Do a scan first and run live data to view the short and long fuel trims
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Dozieson(m): 6:42pm On Mar 15, 2022
Abiola2akin:
Pls what do you advise?

Not that bad for city driving with AC on
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 7:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
Dozieson:

Not that bad for city driving with AC on

Its very bad o

My v6 accord does 20mpg city with AC on all through.. .
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by oweniwe(m): 7:28pm On Mar 15, 2022
Abiola2akin:
Pls what do you advise?

Is the fan connected directly to the battery?

Is the thermostat still there?
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by jinka(m): 7:56pm On Mar 15, 2022
I also use Corolla 2009, I don't even understand how to calculate the mpg on the dashboard
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Dozieson(m): 9:04pm On Mar 15, 2022
buygala:

Its very bad o

City driving?

He said the car does 310miles on full tank of 50liters .That is about 9.6km/l. To me it is not that bad for city driving

2 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 9:17pm On Mar 15, 2022
Dozieson:

City driving?

He said the car does 310miles on full tank of 50liters .That is about 9.6km/l. To me it is not that bad for city driving
An accord v6 does 8km per litre city with AC on... While travelling, I average 10km per litre with AC also on

A Corolla is supposed to be doing 12 or 13km per litre city

It's supposed to be the king of fuel economy yeah?... Or isn't that why it's so expensive?

2 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Dozieson(m): 9:21pm On Mar 15, 2022
buygala:

An accord v6 does 8km per litre city with AC on... While travelling, I average 10km per litre with AC also on

A Corolla is supposed to be doing 12 or 13km per litre city

It's supposed to be the king of fuel economy yeah?... Or isn't that why it's so expensive?

Is it supposed to be 12 or 13km/l for city driving?
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 9:46am On Mar 16, 2022
Dozieson:

Is it supposed to be 12 or 13km/l for city driving?

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by 2special(m): 9:46pm On Mar 16, 2022
oweniwe:

Is the fan connected directly to the battery?

Is the thermostat still there?
please explain more
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by olumzzz(m): 4:42am On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

Its very bad o

Oga calm down, which city you dey and which city op dey?
City driving differs o.
I'm sure you can't get that 20mpg on your accord in Lagos

4 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by valarinz: 7:33am On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

Its very bad o

If you're based in Lagos and this claim of 20mpg city driving on your V6 is while driving in Lagos, then I'll have to state in plain terms : I think you're lying or I don't believe it, whichever phrase serves better

I'm certain the guy complaining about his Corolla is a Lagos driver

2 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2022
olumzzz:

Oga calm down, which city you dey and which city op dey?
City driving differs o.
I'm sure you can't get that 20mpg on your accord in Lagos

Calm down..
No I am not in Lagos... But traffic situations exist everywhere, including where I reside.. Dont make it seem like Lagos traffic is the worst of all... There are places in that same Lagos where there is practically zero or very little traffic... I was born and bred in Lagos so don't tell me about Lagos as if it's in Mars sad

Moreover, there is nowhere op stated that he has been driving in traffic... heck, he never even stated he is in Lagos.. So I see no reason why you should help op make excuses for his car's messed up fuel economy..Abi na u been help am drive am inside Lagos traffic? undecided

Presently, the toks of op's car is far more expensive than the toks of my 2010 v6 Honda Accord.. And one of the reasons it is so expensive is because of its much taunted alleged fuel economy...because my own vehicle far beats that Corolla in every imaginable department.. now even the fuel economy wey una talk say e get na nonsense grin

I still experience serious traffic in my location and I still get at least 5 miles per litre of fuel.... and even better on the highway.. . Fact..

Stop making excuses for the inordinately expensive Corolla... No be only Una dey drive inside traffic abeg sad

Besides I don't even know how traffic came to be an issue here as Op never mentioned any traffic situation in his original post..

And before Op edits his original post that warranted my earlier response, find below a screenshot of his original post

3 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 7:54am On Mar 17, 2022
valarinz:

If you're based in Lagos and this claim of 20mpg city driving on your V6 is while driving in Lagos, then I'll have to state in plain terms : I think you're lying or I don't believe it, whichever phrase serves better

I'm certain the guy complaining about his Corolla is a Lagos driver

I already responded to your comrade just above this post smiley... Read and be enlightened

Oga, please go and sit down somewhere..

Instead of you guys to help op by telling him that the quality of fuel these days is really bad leading to poor mpg generally and that he should try changing the fuel station he fuels from for a start, or that he should get his vehicle checked by a competent mechanic, you are here making excuses that the op never made sad
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by olumzzz(m): 9:21am On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

Calm down..
No I am not in Lagos... But traffic situations exist everywhere, including where I reside.. Dont make it seem like Lagos traffic is the worst of all... There are places in that same Lagos where there is practically zero or very little traffic... I was born and bred in Lagos so don't tell me about Lagos as if it's in Mars sad

Moreover, there is nowhere op stated that he has been driving in traffic... heck, he never even stated he is in Lagos.. So I see no reason why you should help op make excuses for his car's messed up fuel economy..Abi na u been help am drive am inside Lagos traffic? undecided

Presently, the toks of op's car is far more expensive than the toks of my 2010 v6 Honda Accord.. And one of the reasons it is so expensive is because of its much taunted alleged fuel economy...because my own vehicle far beats that Corolla in every imaginable department.. now even the fuel economy wey una talk say e get na nonsense grin

I still experience serious traffic in my location and I still get at least 5 miles per litre of fuel.... and even better on the highway.. . Fact..

Stop making excuses for the inordinately expensive Corolla... No be only Una dey drive inside traffic abeg sad

Besides I don't even know how traffic came to be an issue here as Op never mentioned any traffic situation in his original post..

And before Op edits his original post that warranted my earlier response, find below a screenshot of his original post
Let's deal with facts.
Dealing with facts involves understanding the context of OP's scenario.
Which city he drives and the traffic situation of that city would better define that scenario before arriving at a decision.
Then you can say if 17.4mpg is relatively good or not.
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 10:15am On Mar 17, 2022
olumzzz:

Let's deal with facts.
Dealing with facts involves understanding the context of OP's scenario.
Which city he drives and the traffic situation of that city would better define that scenario before arriving at a decision.
Then you can say if 17.4mpg is relatively good or not.

So you know that facts exist before you started talking rubbish assuming for the op that he drives in Lagos Traffic?

Don't make me say something bad to you this morning please
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by olumzzz(m): 10:38am On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

So you know that facts exist before you started talking rubbish assuming for the op that he drives in Lagos Traffic?

Don't make me say something bad to you this morning please
You really have a problem.
Maybe you no see person buy your gala.
Where did you see me assume the op drives in Lagos?

3 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 10:58am On Mar 17, 2022
olumzzz:

You really have a problem.
Maybe you no see person buy your gala.
Where did you see me assume the op drives in Lagos?

The Lagos you brought in via your 1st comment, where did you get it from?

Did op complain to you that he had been driving in bad traffic or what was in his original comment to make you assume his driving had anything to do with Lagos?
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by olumzzz(m): 11:54am On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

The Lagos you brought in via your 1st comment, where did you get it from?

Did op complain to you that he had been driving in bad traffic or what was in his original comment to make you assume his driving had anything to do with Lagos?
Read again.
The Lagos reference in earlier comment was to your 20mpg for YOUR own car.
This is my last response to you.
Stick to charge n bail pls.

3 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by buygala(m): 12:01pm On Mar 17, 2022
olumzzz:

Read again.
The Lagos reference in earlier comment was to your 20mpg for YOUR own car.
This is my last response to you.
Stick to charge n bail pls.

Where did I mention I was driving in Lagos?.. And where did I mention that I wasn't encountering traffic?.. . Have u driven in Abuja Mararaba-Nyanya traffic during rush hours to know that only Lagos has bad traffic?

And are you aware the 2010 accord has a VCM system that shuts down 3 of its 6 cylinders while in traffic?... So traffic or not, that car can still do 20mpg city

Abi hand just dey scratch you to talk nonsense ?

Instead of you to face and try to advice op on the basis of what he complained about, you carry extraneous issue waka enter.. As if the Lagos has more traffic than anywhere else

Now its not op that brought in Lagos Traffic issue but me?. .. Are you OK?

1 Like

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Angrygoat: 12:37pm On Mar 17, 2022
Odeh,must u use AC.
Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by valarinz: 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2022
buygala:

I already responded to your comrade just above this post smiley... Read and be enlightened

Oga, please go and sit down somewhere..

Instead of you guys to help op by telling him that the quality of fuel these days is really bad leading to poor mpg generally and that he should try changing the fuel station he fuels from for a start, or that he should get his vehicle checked by a competent mechanic, you are here making excuses that the op never made sad

Ok, you don't reside or drive in Lagos, case closed.

Take note, as far as naija is concerned, Lagos traffic is the worst, your 20mpg will drastically drop if you use that car here extensively for a month

Also, if there's something about my initial response to you that's triggering the aggressiveness, pls kindly forgive, I'm interested in having a civil discourse on this

4 Likes

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by 9icetoo(m): 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2022
valarinz:

Ok, you don't reside or drive in Lagos, case closed.

Take note, as far as naija is concerned, Lagos traffic is the worst, your 20mpg will drastically drop if you use that car here extensively for a month

Also, if there's something about my initial response to you that's triggering the aggressiveness, pls kindly forgive, I'm interested in having a civil discourse on this
Don't quit. Vawulence is needed.
That said, no way in hell that Honda will achieve 20mpg in lagos traffic driving from mainland to island or vice versa during rush hour traffic. VCM ko VVT ni.

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by valarinz: 11:04pm On Mar 17, 2022
9icetoo:

That said, no way in hell that Honda will achieve 20mpg in lagos traffic driving from mainland to island or vice versa during rush hour traffic. VCM ko VVT ni.

Re: Help I Think My Car Is Chopping Fuel by Itsrm(m): 7:16pm On Mar 18, 2022
9icetoo:

I don't know how many times we have to say this. MPG should never be taken in isolation. It's highly dependent on average MPH.

Someone doing an average of 10MPH will not have the same Mpg as someone with an average of 18MPH even if they use the same cars.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 1998 Stalling Problem Fixed @ Multiautolab / Avoid Kazeems / Fifty Six (56) Of The Worst Car Ever / Sincere Advice Needed Asap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.