Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways (16834 Views)

FG Shortlists Bidders For 12 Highways In Lagos, Kano, Others / Julius Berger, Setraco, Others To Manage 12 Highways / FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Born2Breed(f): 6:33am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend will leave the same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.

You skipped one. You will also pay at Shagamu-Benin. Which totals 4!

Mind you, nothing has been recently done on these roads except the New Onitsha bridge. Compared to the Lagos to Kano road that has gulped billions in last 7years.

Imagine me travelling from Benin to Asaba a neighbouring state,I will pay,to lagos,I will pay to lokoja too I will pay. I can't travel out of my state without paying a toll fare. If I want to go further to Onitsha, I will pay twice. To Abuja, I will also pay twice. People see this injustice and turn a blind eye.

When one complains,you see some moronic idiots masturbating with their mouths.

7 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dejol88: 6:34am On Mar 16, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Your victim mentality is becoming disgusting.. What exactly is wrong with you guys? undecided
It is not my fault if you lack depth.

Sometimes I feel sad that the supposedly north with lesser education can think more critically than the so called southern educated

We have injustice in Nigeria today because we have plenty of your kind.

It is a shame!

5 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dejol88: 6:37am On Mar 16, 2022
Born2Breed:

Mind you, nothing has been recently done on these roads except the New Onitsha bridge. Compared to the Lagos to Kano road that has gulped billions in last 7years.

Thank you my brother.

Nigeria matter dey weak me.

Southern Nigeria has been beaten to weakness that anything thrown at them is yes sir.

Funny enough I can bet my balls that it is someone from south who might have drafted the proposal to placate the north.

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Born2Breed(f): 6:38am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

Sometimes I feel sad that the supposedly north with lesser education can think more critically than the so called southern educated

It is a shame!

That's one of the moronic idiots you just quoted. You need to feed them with brain for them to analyse issues critically. They are so dense that you wonder if they were birthed by a sheep's.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:38am On Mar 16, 2022
SmartPolician:

Your first question is logical, but the second one has an answer. The best roads in Lagos are on the island and are tolled. Example, the popular Lekki tollgate where soldiers killed Nigerians connects Sangotedo to Victoria Island. Also, the Lekki/Ikoyi link bridge is tolled.

If tolling federal roads will make us enjoy world-class roads in this country, nobody should be complaining. Federal roads are not like state roads you can pass 20 times in a day.

The tollgates in Lagos are so terrible that if you pass 10 times, you pay 10 times. However, those roads are some of the best in Lagos State. Motorists should be asked to pay once every day on federal tollgates.

“As far as I can afford it” syndrome. It is what it is.

Let’s think about the less privileged. Those living on just above minimum wage. That’s where our humanity lies. There has never been a protest or demonstration because of inflation or the poverty in the land.

Government should not by any means increase the suffering of the people by increasing tax, levies or what not. It is insensitive. Especially when it is no secret that the ones the collect now are not well managed. Governance is not rocket science
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:42am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

It is a shame!
Wake up to reality. The people doing you social injustice is your Governors, senators and HOR.. The the balls of those people.. The North isn't your problem
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Franking: 6:44am On Mar 16, 2022
Richardjcooper:

You can do better than this. Think. Do you know why there are more tolls in the south? Because companies affiliated to southern politicians will manage these tolls. Long and short is there’s more corruption in the south than the north. This is the reality of Nigeria.

Our collective fight should be that we should ask how these companies were selected, on what basis, are they qualified, who owns them??

Really? And not equity in terms of equal distribution of the tolls?
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by lagosrd: 6:51am On Mar 16, 2022
I feel this govt should be taken to court . On what basis was the tollgate removed initially. This was during Obasanjo's era. That there will be a tax on the price of the pump fuel while the toll gates are removed.

See what they now arrived at . You tax the living and the dead.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend shehu will leave same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.
Don't mind them,if it were maintenance of these roads now,the reverse will be the case.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by koning: 6:54am On Mar 16, 2022
Igbos travelling to the East for Xmas or whatever will pay toll-Sagamu - Benin, Benin - Asaba,Niger Bridge head, Onitsha - Owerri and
Enugu - Port harcourt.

HABA!!!. Bare faced injustice.

We know we are rich and can pay, but this is just too much.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:55am On Mar 16, 2022
Franking:

Really? And not equity in terms of equal distribution of the tolls?

Ideally, equity should come first for a nation that is just. But this is Nigeria. We’re fantastically corrupt. It’s no news anymore. My point was there are more tolls in the south because there are more southern corrupt politicians. It is their companies or companies affiliated to them that will be in charge of toll collection. There are also more southern motorists. Southerners are also obliged to pay more because of their better economy.

All reasons stated above are corruption and extortion based
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Franking: 7:03am On Mar 16, 2022
Richardjcooper:

Ideally, equity should come first for a nation that is just. But this is Nigeria. We’re fantastically corrupt. It’s no news anymore. My point was there are more tolls in the south because there are more southern corrupt politicians. It is their companies or companies affiliated to them that will be in charge of toll collection. There are also more southern motorists. Southerners are also obliged to pay more because of their better economy.

Better southern economy translating into more southern motorists justify more toll gates in the South with shorter distances while the north with longer distances either pay less or don't pay at all?
Wow!

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by everythinggirly(f): 7:04am On Mar 16, 2022
It doesn't change the fact that millions of Nigerians are very poor.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by chinyce(m): 7:31am On Mar 16, 2022
They want to build Extra Toll gates adding to the Present ones there.

All the Police, Army, Roadsafety check points on the Highway, are they not Toll gates. What have they done with the monies Collected so far.

Use.less Country.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by od501: 7:33am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

In its bid to ensure the regular maintenance of its road network across Nigeria, the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing plans to concession no fewer than 12 federal highways to private entities to manage.

The arrangement would enable the private companies to introduce toll gates on the 12 highways and collect revenue which they would use and regularly maintain such roads.
This information is contained in a document, which Vanguard obtained, yesterday, from the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing in Abuja.

The 12 highways to be concessioned under the Ministry’s “Highway Management Development Initiative”, HMDI, are: [/b]Benin-Asaba, Abuja-Lokoja, Kano-Katsina, Onitsha-Owerri, Shagamu-Benin and Abuja-Keffi-Akwanga.[b]

Others are: [/b]Kano-Shuari, Potiskum-Damaturu, Lokoja-Benin, Enugu-Port Harcourt, Ilorin-Jebba, Lagos-Ota-Abeokuta and Lagos-Badagry-Seme Border.[b]

The roads, according to the ministry, come under the pilot phase of the HDMI to be managed by selected private sector investors under its Value-Added Concession, VAC, arrangement.

The 12 highways according to the document reviewed by Vanguard represent merely 5.6 percent or 1,963 kilometres of the country’s 35,000 km federal highway network.

The document estimates that not less than N1.34 trillion of private sector investment would flow into the highways while no fewer than 50,000 direct jobs and 200,000 indirect jobs would be created by the concessioning of the highways to the private operators

“It’s not really about revenue; it is about the expected injection into the economy. The estimated private sector investment required for the development and maintenance of the 12 routes is N1.34 trillion and the impact such investment will have on the economy cannot be overstated.

“The anticipated private sector investment will stimulate thousands of job opportunities for Nigerians as the Highway Economy comes alive along federal highways.

A minimum 50,000 direct jobs and over 200’000 indirect jobs are envisaged to be created spanning construction works, installations, steel fabrication, security, hospitality, vehicle repairs, waste management and administrative work as the Value Chain along the Highway Economy is activated. The combined impact of this mini economy will be a significant boost to our national GDP as productivity and earnings are enhanced,” the ministry document boasted.

Beyond the Value-Added Concession, VAC arrangement, the FMWH is also planning to use another vehicle known as the Unbundled Assets Approvals initiative, UAAI, to maximize the use of its assets on the highways.

Under this category, the ministry plans to issue approvals/permits to individuals to use assets on the right of way on a Build, Operate and or maintain basis.

Both the VAC and the UAAI, according to the ministry aim to provide adequate highway services through the development of revenue-generating assets along the highway.

“This is key to maintaining the functionality of the highway as well as engaging and generating wealth for indigenous small and medium enterprises,” it says.

The ministry explained that it had already obtained the approval of the Infrastructure Concession and Regulatory Commission, ICRC, to go ahead with the implementation of the HMDI which incorporates the concessioning of the highways and the right of way to private sector operators.

Explaining the objectives of the HMDI, the ministry said: “The objective is to develop an eco-system along the federal highway network by bringing multi-dimensional resources of skills, manpower, finance, technology, and efficiency into the National Highway governance.

“Ultimately, this home-grown initiative will be the lasting solution to the development and management of federal highways by introducing order, accountability and profitable entrepreneurship to the operation, management, and maintenance of Nigeria’s 35,000 km federal highways.

“The Initiative is expected to be anchored on private sector engagement via concessioning of economically viable routes to technically and financially capable private companies, through the management and development of the right-of-way. A major hindrance to highway development and management has been a paucity of required funds to service the vast and ever-expanding road network. To negate this handicap, the FMWH proposes the engagement of concessionaires who will manage and develop the right of way, whilst maximizing its commercial potential.

“The main objective of the Initiative is to attract expertise and sustainable investment/funding in the development of road infrastructure and to maximize the use of assets along the Right of Way and develop other highway furniture,” the ministry pointed out.
The government, according to the document will soon call for bidders in a transparent process that would be conducted in collaboration with the ICRC.

It said: “The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, in collaboration with the ICRC, will soon advertise the Request for Qualification (RFQ) bidding process for the available categories under the HDMI scheme.

“The process will be transparent to allow the most effective bids to compete vigorously in a process that delivers service and dividend to Nigerians. (technically and financially capable firms/consortiums).

“We are determined to ensure our assets are entrusted into capable hands. Therefore, interested persons, companies and groups are advised to

Form consortiums of construction/road maintenance companies, financiers, toll operators, rest house operators, advertising companies, lane marking experts, refuse managers and other partners.”
Some of the revenue-generating assets and highway services being targeted by the ministry are: Toll plazas, weighbridges, advertising assets, directional signage structures and space, street lighting with advertising space and open spaces, including but not limited to truck parks and rest areas, refuse management, towing services, highway monitoring and emergency services.

The ministry made it clear that it was carrying out the new initiative since it has a legal framework under the Federal Highway Act, which vests the Minister of Works and Housing with authority over federal highway network and empowers him to administer tolls on federal highways.

Besides, the ministry said that the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) is mandated by law with regulatory oversight over Ministries, Departments and Agencies in developing bankable PPP projects, pointing out that the ICRC worked closely with it in the conception of the initiative.

“The ICRC has just issued a Certificate of Compliance to the Ministry of Works and Housing, what this means is that the ministry has met all the conditions necessary to proceed to the next stage of procurement of the HDMI scheme.

“So, we are about to kick-off with the pilot phase of the HDMI scheme. In the first phase, the government is proposing the concession of 12 selected federal highways to private sector investors, under the Value-Added Concession, VAC arrangement”.

SOURCE:https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/02/fg-plans-tolling-on-12-highways/amp/

I pity the toll collectors in the Eastern part of the country grin

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by SmartPolician: 7:36am On Mar 16, 2022
Richardjcooper:

“As far as I can afford it” syndrome. It is what it is.

Let’s think about the less privileged. Those living on just above minimum wage. That’s where our humanity lies. There has never been a protest or demonstration because of inflation or the poverty in the land.

Government should not by any means increase the suffering of the people by increasing tax, levies or what not. It is insensitive. Especially when it is no secret that the ones the collect now are not well managed. Governance is not rocket science

You are just being a typical Nigerian who wants the government to do everything for them while they do absolutely nothing. A people who demand 24-hour power supply, but keep bypassing their meter so they don't pay power bills. Yes, that's a typical Nigerian and that, my friend, is the highest level of irresponsibility.

TBH, there's nothing wrong with being asked to pay N500 -1000 while traveling 500km as long as there's accountability and the money is used to maintain the federal road.

The debate we should be having here is that the government should use part of the money to settle the police checkpoints that will be stationed along two tollgates that are hundreds of kilometers apart so that motorists don't spend a lot of money while traveling.

As for paying tolls to use world-class federal roads, nobody should be complaining because even the so-called poor people you speak of don't have cars. As far as I am concerned, cars are luxury in Nigeria because we don't run a government-sponsored credit system. That's why a vast majority of us drive fairly used cars.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by PS712: 7:40am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
so you didn't see illorin- jebba, Kano portiskum, Abuja- akwanga, Kaduna to Kano? Even Abuja -Kaduna road is there.
This issues of ethnicity will surely make you to look stupid.
Where in the whole writeup did you see 'Kaduna' let alone the boldened or is it in your imagination as you try to defend the obvious?

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by skywalker240(m): 7:55am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

You are getting it twisted. It's not everything that should be bifurcated using this northerner/southerner appelations pls. There are southerners that ply northern roads more than the south and vice versa too. Remember these are not rural roads, but major ones
Something must be wrong with the way you reason, somebody is stating the obvious, and you are still finding excuses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Born2Breed(f): 7:59am On Mar 16, 2022
Richardjcooper:

Ideally, equity should come first for a nation that is just. But this is Nigeria. We’re fantastically corrupt. It’s no news anymore. My point was there are more tolls in the south because there are more southern corrupt politicians. It is their companies or companies affiliated with them that will be in charge of toll collection. There are also more southern motorists. Southerners are also obliged to pay more because of their better economy.

How can you be this gullible and devoid of common sense? With your full chest, you wrote this gibberish and don't feel you deserve a bed space at yabaleft?

This is the worst I've ever read on NL.

Well, some mothers do have them.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by ubox: 8:01am On Mar 16, 2022
Born2Breed:

Imagine me travelling from Benin to Asaba a neighbouring state,I will pay,to lagos,I will pay to lokoja too I will pay. I can't travel out of my state without paying a toll fare. If I want to go further to Onitsha, I will pay twice. To Abuja, I will also pay twice. People see this injustice and turn a blind eye.

You can travel out of your state without paying because it's mandatory for there to be an alternative route that's not being tolled though it might be longer in distance than the tolled route.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by babajero(m): 8:05am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:
Earlier today, many people were misinformed about the toll plaza currently been constructed in tow with the 2nd Niger Bridge. Toll gates will be constructed across the country. Fashola promised that they'll only toll when the roads are comfortably motorable. So, if you think the 2nd Niger bridge is a vendetta against SEners, which among the roads listed is motorable and yet to be tolled?

So that is why Lawan the big headed idiot in the house of assembly connived with buhari and his minions to borrow money without mercy because they know they will heap the burden on citizens and their unborn lineage, God will punish you all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Sancto2: 8:09am On Mar 16, 2022
Only the few roads in the south will be tolled. While the major roads in the north like Abuja kaduna road, kaduna-kano, Kano -Maiduguri, Kaduna -Jos are not to be tolled. These three roads alone are longer than all the Federal roads in the south south joined together. Buhari government and favouritism. Egberifao!

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Parachoko: 8:15am On Mar 16, 2022
adeoba2008:

It was stated that this is the pilot phase. Lagos Ibadan has not been completed yet.
Have the second Niger bridge been completed?

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Parachoko: 8:19am On Mar 16, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Your victim mentality is becoming disgusting.. What exactly is wrong with you guys? undecided
But the guy is asking a valid question.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by nnaetobi(m): 8:22am On Mar 16, 2022
If the build any toll gate in igbo land, ugm will scatter them
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by GardenOfGod(m): 8:22am On Mar 16, 2022
Nigerian government formulating policies that stiffens the life out of Nigerians.

If police, army, customs, bandits, etc collect money from motorists and the federal government also do same, what will remain for the driver to take home?

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Aufbauh(m): 8:24am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

Thank you my brother for teaching some of this guys . Some of them don’t have critical mind but just come to argue without sense.

You guys are either mischievous or bluntly ignorant.
There are factors or indices you need to consider when tolling a highway, and one of it is traffic.
The denser the vehicular traffic on the road the more the pressure on same road, and the more susceptible it is for maintenance.
Again cost of construction per kilometer and availability of alternative roads.

The second Niger bridge even have an alternative road which is the existing road at the moment. You mustn't pass through the second Niger bridge.

Anyway we can not cure you guys of ceaseless victim mentality and unfounded conspiracy theory, so you are free to conjure any thought.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dejol88: 8:30am On Mar 16, 2022
Aufbauh:

You guys are either mischievous or bluntly ignorant.
There are factors or indices you need to consider when tolling a highway, and one of it is traffic.
The denser the vehicular traffic on the road the more the pressure on same road, and the more susceptible it is for maintenance.
Again cost of construction per kilometer and availability of alternative roads.

The second Niger bridge even have an alternative road which is the existing road at the moment. You mustn't pass through the second Niger bridge.

Anyway we can not cure you guys of ceaseless victim mentality and unfounded conspiracy theory, so you are free to conjure any thought.

I knew someone like you will post something like this, after the close from work today hopefully I get enough ginger to reply you.

Some of you think we are Dundee like your fashola who made the proposal.

Well I don’t blame you sha, it because over a long period of time injustice has being enthroned in Nigeria polity.

So it okay to make excuses.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:53am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

You are getting it twisted. It's not everything that should be bifurcated using this northerner/southerner appelations pls. There are southerners that ply northern roads more than the south and vice versa too. Remember these are not rural roads, but major ones

The usual rubbish rationalization.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Quitam: 9:14am On Mar 16, 2022
Awoleesu:

Exactly my concerns!

FG wants to toll a less busier Kano-Katsina highway but I'm surprised a much busier Kano-Kaduna route is exempted!
This skewed arrangement that places more economic burden on southern road users and lightens same on their northern contemporary is the reason we will continue to have such agitation as those of VAT collection by states...

No social justice angry

Did you also notice that Lagos-Ibadan and East-West road are missing? The tolling seems to be phased, as rehabilitation of the roads progress.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Aufbauh(m): 9:34am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

I knew someone like you will post something like this, after the close from work today hopefully I get enough ginger to reply you.

Some of you think we are Dundee like your fashola who made the proposal.

Well I don’t blame you sha, it because over a long period of time injustice has being enthroned in Nigeria polity.

So it okay to make excuses.

Quit looking for groundless conjecture for defense. You don't need that time to respond to me if your facts are clear & bare.

Someone who claimed to know better than Fashola shouldn't do much research to lay bare his facts & figures, except that he's truly unanimous in all.

I've met many of your kinds ( 'The victimized', Them against us, Anything about us is treated differently bla bla bla) both offline and online. Interestingly I don't have their time cus I know they've been wired in that format by their disposition and indoctrination.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Awoleesu(m): 9:34am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

Did you also notice that Lagos-Ibadan and East-West road are missing? The tolling seems to be phased, as rehabilitation of the roads progress.

Alright, I hope so.

A handshake to you for matured engagement!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A List Of Tinubu's Titles And Awards / Gbajabiamila Writes Chinese Leader•’fayose’s Letter Amounts To Sabotage’ / 1.7 Billion Donation: President Buhari Has Secured 12 Million Votes - BMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.