Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways (16835 Views)

FG Shortlists Bidders For 12 Highways In Lagos, Kano, Others / Julius Berger, Setraco, Others To Manage 12 Highways / FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Franking: 5:34am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

I believe it will be added too. Not just Kaduna to Kano, but Abuja to Kano. That will help in keeping the road in good shape

U believe? They have used ur brain to fry akara. Why is that road not on the list now? Sagamu-Benin and Benin-Asaba and Onitsha-Owerri are all there and u are saying u believe! We don't blame una.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Franking: 5:40am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
so you didn't see illorin- jebba, Kano portiskum, Abuja- akwanga, Kaduna to Kano? Even Abuja -Kaduna road is there.
This issues of ethnicity will surely make you to look stupid.

U are the one looking very stupid. If u don't see anything wrong with a scenario where one is travelling from Lagos to Owerri a distance of less than 600 kilometers and pays tolls four times while Kano-Kaduna express road of nearly half of that distance isn't tolled yet well maintained by the government then u must be very biased.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by SmartPolician: 5:41am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

You are getting it twisted. It's not everything that should be bifurcated using this northerner/southerner appelations pls. There are southerners that ply northern roads more than the south and vice versa too. Remember these are not rural roads, but major ones

Your defense is weak, oga.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dettolgel: 5:41am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
so you didn't see illorin- jebba, Kano portiskum, Abuja- akwanga, Kaduna to Kano? Even Abuja -Kaduna road is there.

Lagos to Kano how many toll?

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dettolgel: 5:44am On Mar 16, 2022
Franking:

U are the one looking very stupid. If u don't see anything wrong with a scenario where one is travelling from Lagos to Owerri a distance of less than 600 kilometers and pays tolls four times while Kano-Kaduna express road of nearly half of that distance isn't tolled yet well maintained by the government then u must be very biased.

He was easy for him to throw a curse word in the few sentences he managed to cobbled together. That should have been an indication of his mental capacity. grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by adeoba2008(m): 5:47am On Mar 16, 2022
flokii:
Like I don't get.. why will govt. tax commuters on highways? on what grounds??
The only time you toll say a highway is if it's newly constructed and govt. needs to recoup the money (over a stipulated period of time).

What exactly is wrong with the present APC cabinet members? It's like they are taking Nigerians for a ride or something. Diesel has gone up to #700, PMS is approaching #400 and prices of goods have doubled in the market, yet minimum wage hasn't increased.

So you like how bad the road is ?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by SmartPolician: 5:50am On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

Bros.... I have 2 questions for you....
1. If private companies would be more efficient infrastructure managers, why was the construction of these roads not concessioned to them in the first place instead of government incurring massive debt?
2. Where in this country has public roads been efficiently managed by private tolling companies in the past?

Your first question is logical, but the second one has an answer. The best roads in Lagos are on the island and are tolled. Example, the popular Lekki tollgate where soldiers killed Nigerians connects Sangotedo to Victoria Island. Also, the Lekki/Ikoyi link bridge is tolled.

If tolling federal roads will make us enjoy world-class roads in this country, nobody should be complaining. Federal roads are not like state roads you can pass 20 times in a day.

The tollgates in Lagos are so terrible that if you pass 10 times, you pay 10 times. However, those roads are some of the best in Lagos State. Motorists should be asked to pay once every day on federal tollgates.

6 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by adeoba2008(m): 5:52am On Mar 16, 2022
awo666:
And the busiest road Lagos-Ibadan is not on the list

It was stated that this is the pilot phase. Lagos Ibadan has not been completed yet.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by ivandragon: 5:52am On Mar 16, 2022
Tolling is not a bad idea. It ensures greater accountability especially when concessional...

However, the roads need to be put in better shape first. Also, the usual practice is to have alternative routes for people who do not wish to pay the toll. These alternative roads are usually longer, have less emergency services present & are not as well maintained...

Furthermore, connecting roads should have reduced tolling costs to avoid paying too high a toll bill...

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by flokii: 5:57am On Mar 16, 2022
adeoba2008:

So you like how bad the road is ?

The govt. shouldn't have taken huge loans to fix the roads in the first place, it should have been the private people to construct the roads. and then toll it to get back their money. So what happens to all the billions of dollars Chinese loans to be serviced by our budget? we will be paying back loans and still be paying tolls?

The Lekki toll gate hasn't served its purpose since it was erected there? who is holding these companies accountable so they don't turn to avenue for corrupt individuals to be fleecing Nigerians? Same thing in Abuja airport.
Is that how govt. extort citizens in other countries?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:01am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
Mr man, most of the good road you are seeing in UK are manage by private agencies. If Nigeria should hand over infrastructures development to private agencies, I promised you 80% of our infrastructure problem will be solved in 2 years.
It is better we have good road that are tolled than not having the road.

What you fail to realize is Nigeria cannot afford to solve it’s problems through privatization. Comparing Nigeria to the West is simply folly. Government should provide basic, social and infrastructural amenities for its citizens here. This has to be done transparently. That’s the only way Nigeria would work.

But guess what? Since independence, the next government has been worse than the previous. There has been no continuity and clear irresponsibility. Private solutions will never be solutions for government inadequacies. Especially when there’s no difference between the government and the private sector oligarchs.

The economy being run in Nigeria is only making the rich richer at the expense of the poor. That will never be sustainable for a country that lacks capital. I’m not even complaining about this government as this as being a norm since forever. Nigerians need to organize and demand more from the government. Power should always belong to the people and not the government in Nigeria. That should be our reality

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Awoleesu(m): 6:01am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend shehu will leave same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.
Exactly my concerns!

FG wants to toll a less busier Kano-Katsina highway but I'm surprised a much busier Kano-Kaduna route is exempted!
This skewed arrangement that places more economic burden on southern road users and lightens same on their northern contemporary is the reason we will continue to have such agitation as those of VAT collection by states...

No social justice angry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:03am On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

Bros.... I have 2 questions for you....
1. If private companies would be more efficient infrastructure managers, why was the construction of these roads not concessioned to them in the first place instead of government incurring massive debt?
2. Where in this country has public roads been efficiently managed by private tolling companies in the past?

Nigerian government will never fully privatize Nigeria. They just pretend. I have not done my investigation but you can guess the owners of the private companies these contracts will be awarded to

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:08am On Mar 16, 2022
southernbelle:
Tolling the highways is a good idea for keeping roads well-maintained and to a large extent, safe; the fear we all have is actually seeing/feeling the positive impact and it not being just another scheme to empower their friends in high places who will increase their wealth through the sweat of poor Nigerians. I am interested in the jobs it will create under the private companies, I wish the agreement signed with the private companies can also touch on welfare of the people who will get the direct jobs so that these companies don’t employ people and pay them poorly.

Make sense but increasing any form of tax for whatever scheme while welfare of the citizens remain unchanged will always be bad.

Nigerian professionals will never complain as far as “they can afford it”

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:09am On Mar 16, 2022
flokii:
Like I don't get.. why will govt. tax commuters on highways? on what grounds??
The only time you toll say a highway is if it's newly constructed and govt. needs to recoup the money (over a stipulated period of time).

What exactly is wrong with the present APC cabinet members? It's like they are taking Nigerians for a ride or something. Diesel has gone up to #700, PMS is approaching #400 and prices of goods have doubled in the market, yet minimum wage hasn't increased.
You're spewing trash. Canada has toll for even old roads. The toll isn't just to recoup money spent on construction but also for maintenance of the roads..
Also before any road is tolled in any country, there must be an alternate free road to pass through..

N200 -N800 is a small price to pay for a good, quicker access road..

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:12am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend shehu will leave same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.
Your victim mentality is becoming disgusting.. What exactly is wrong with you guys? undecided

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Peng12345: 6:15am On Mar 16, 2022
Where are these people, have they left Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dejol88: 6:17am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
If
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:19am On Mar 16, 2022
flokii:

The govt. shouldn't have taken huge loans to fix the roads in the first place, it should have been the private people to construct the roads. and then toll it to get back their money. So what happens to all the billions of dollars Chinese loans to be serviced by our budget? we will be paying back loans and still be paying tolls?

The Lekki toll gate hasn't served its purpose since it was erected there? who is holding these companies accountable so they don't turn to avenue for corrupt individuals to be fleecing Nigerians? Same thing in Abuja airport.
Is that how govt. extort citizens in other countries?
Is it not the same toll you will pay to the private companies that you will still pay to FG? You guys don't know what is doing you at all..
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:22am On Mar 16, 2022
Abaman001:

Not true bro... rather you are the one who has chosen not to be open minded in ur analysis, what that actually means is that there will be more hike on the price of goods and services in the southern region than northern region as a result of toll formula that seems to favour the north than S.S and S.E....

We’ve all being divided by ethnicity, class, wealth, gender and so on. The most important thing is we’re all black, we’re all Africans. Nigeria itself has no identity as our culture as a people is CORRUPTION.

Let’s stop playing into the hands of these our “divide-and-conquer” rulers. If we’re to rewrite destiny as a group, we have to work together.

IMO, there’s nothing like Northern agenda. You can call me naive. The northern oligarchs have impoverished the north, they have used poverty and religion as a weapon against their people so they cannot think straight or fight for their rights. No wonder they discourage every form of “western” education. The south has it’s challenges too.

The real divide is the rich vs the poor. Politicians from all geopolitical zones eat, wine and dine together in the 2 major political parties the country. You know why? CORRUPTION

There’s corruption in the north, west and east. It is jointly coordinated. They’ve designed Nigeria in such a way the common man is divided from the other on religious and ethnic lines but the people that caused this are ONE

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:23am On Mar 16, 2022
Awoleesu:

Exactly my concerns!

FG wants to toll a less busier Kano-Katsina highway but I'm surprised a much busier Kano-Kaduna route is exempted!
This skewed arrangement that places more economic burden on southern road users and lightens same on their northern contemporary is the reason we will continue to have such agitation as those of VAT collection by states...

No social justice angry
Wait fess, are you guys trolling or what?

So tolling a less busy road in the North is injustice to you Easterners?? My God!! shocked
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by maticar: 6:25am On Mar 16, 2022
Rollsnjaguar:

So are you saying all this roads you mentioned are not motorable?
Co ask oo, I don't get
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by ednut1(m): 6:26am On Mar 16, 2022
Where are the cry babies from the rising sun o
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 16, 2022
Quitam:

You are getting it twisted. It's not everything that should be bifurcated using this northerner/southerner appelations pls. There are southerners that ply northern roads more than the south and vice versa too. Remember these are not rural roads, but major ones
Please tell us how he's getting it twisted. They are (collectively) all national highways and cannot be classified by rural or urban demographics. The injustice he mentioned is strategically in view.

5 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by dejol88: 6:27am On Mar 16, 2022
Abaman001:

Not true bro... rather you are the one who has chosen not to be open minded in ur analysis, what that actually means is that there will be more hike on the price of goods and services in the southern region than northern region as a result of toll formula that seems to favour the north than S.S and S.E....
Thank you my brother for teaching some of this guys . Some of them don’t have critical mind but just come to argue without sense.

6 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Awoleesu(m): 6:27am On Mar 16, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Wait fess, are you guys trolling or what?

So tolling a less busy road in the North is injustice to you Easterners?? My God!! shocked
If revenue generation is the genuine motive, then common sense dictates that routes with heavier traffic should be the catch... Alas! Sentiments always overrode good judgement in this country!

And for your info, I'm no Easternet...in tact, the SE is more exempted IMO on this toll thing (I can sight only two routes from there).

If you can't grasp the logic, forget it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 6:29am On Mar 16, 2022
Franking:

You can do better than this. Think. Do you know why there are more tolls in the south? Because companies affiliated to southern politicians will manage these tolls. Long and short is there’s more corruption in the south than the north. This is the reality of Nigeria.

Our collective fight should be that we should ask how these companies were selected, on what basis, are they qualified, who owns them??
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:29am On Mar 16, 2022
I said it before that even if FG starts tolling roads in Niger Republic, our Eastern brothers will still see fault.. They couldn't even wait for 24 hours before proving me right..

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Perfectbeing(m): 6:33am On Mar 16, 2022
Awoleesu:

If revenue generation is the genuine motive, then common sense dictates that routes with heavier traffic should be the catch... Alas! Sentiments always overrode good judgement in this country!

If you can't grasp the logic, forget it!
Guy forget that thing. Even if FG toll the busiest roads, you will find find a way to cry injustice.. No be today I know una..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tribunal: APC Senators Have Right To Appeal; Atiku, Obi Have No Ground – Yahaya / Nigeria Launch Second Naval Ship NNS Unity / Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.