Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways (16837 Views)

FG Shortlists Bidders For 12 Highways In Lagos, Kano, Others / Julius Berger, Setraco, Others To Manage 12 Highways / FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by WhizdomXX(m): 9:40am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend shehu will leave same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.
You will also pay toll from shagamu to Benin.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Born2Breed(f): 9:41am On Mar 16, 2022
ubox:

You can travel out of your state without paying because it's mandatory for there to be an alternative route that's not being tolled though it might be longer in distance than the tolled route.

You don't even have sense. I thought I was mentioned for a reasonable suggestion, not this bunkum.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by WhizdomXX(m): 9:44am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
so you didn't see illorin- jebba, Kano portiskum, Abuja- akwanga, Kaduna to Kano? Even Abuja -Kaduna road is there.
This issues of ethnicity will surely make you to look stupid.
Kaduna to Kano and Abuja to kaduna not there.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by EteBabaagba222(m): 10:00am On Mar 16, 2022
flokii:
Like I don't get.. why will govt. tax commuters on highways? on what grounds??
The only time you toll say a highway is if it's newly constructed and govt. needs to recoup the money (over a stipulated period of time).

What exactly is wrong with the present APC cabinet members? It's like they are taking Nigerians for a ride or something. Diesel has gone up to #700, PMS is approaching #400 and prices of goods have doubled in the market, yet minimum wage hasn't increased.

Diesel is 850 not 700 pls note that.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 16, 2022
Very soon we shall pay toll to enter our house.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 10:25am On Mar 16, 2022
Franking:

Better southern economy translating into more southern motorists justify more toll gates in the South with shorter distances while the north with longer distances either pay less or don't pay at all?
Wow!

I’m coming from the point of view of a corrupt politician. My opinion is no tolls at all. At least not with the present situation of the country
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Blackdisciple(m): 10:27am On Mar 16, 2022
That's the only thing they know extortion of the masses... God will kill ya'll

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Franking: 10:36am On Mar 16, 2022
Richardjcooper:

I’m coming from the point of view of a corrupt politician. My opinion is no tolls at all. At least not with the present situation of the country

Yeah, the corrupt politician part is well noted. I guess everything is relative because the northern politicians are no better. They generally keep their people in perpetual penury.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 10:41am On Mar 16, 2022
SmartPolician:

You are just being a typical Nigerian who wants the government to do everything for them while they do absolutely nothing. A people who demand 24-hour power supply, but keep bypassing their meter so they don't pay power bills. Yes, that's a typical Nigerian and that, my friend, is the highest level of irresponsibility.

TBH, there's nothing wrong with being asked to pay N500 -1000 while traveling 500km as long as there's accountability and the money is used to maintain the federal road.

The debate we should be having here is that the government should use part of the money to settle the police checkpoints that will be stationed along two tollgates that are hundreds of kilometers apart so that motorists don't spend a lot of money while traveling.

As for paying tolls to use world-class federal roads, nobody should be complaining because even the so-called poor people you speak of don't have cars. As far as I am concerned, cars are luxury in Nigeria because we don't run a government-sponsored credit system. That's why a vast majority of us drive fairly used cars.

You still don’t get it. Nigeria and Africa at large cannot afford to be capitalist. We don’t even have the capital for God’s sake.

Yes I want government to do everything for us. That’s what the situation of the country needs. Anyone who is well-to-do in Nigeria is purely lucky. The same hard work, prayer(juju), smart work the well-to-do person did to become wealthy has been done and will be done by others but with different result. There’s no level playing ground.

Private solutions to public problems will not solve Nigeria’s problems at large. I want government to fix public schools (world standard), public hospitals (quality and quantity), security, housing and welfare of Nigerians across board. When government has done this, then they are allowed to appropriately tax the citizens. Nigeria has so much potential but not caring for our less privileged brothers and sisters will make us repeat the mistakes of the generations of the ruling class. Most Nigerians are one ailment from crowd funding. Cars should not be a luxury, good housing too.

Think of the good of all Nigerians. That’s the only way we can move forward as a country

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 10:46am On Mar 16, 2022
Born2Breed:

How can you be this gullible and devoid of common sense? With your full chest, you wrote this gibberish and don't feel you deserve a bed space at yabaleft?

This is the worst I've ever read on NL.

Well, some mothers do have them.

You refused to state your point and have a meaningful conversation. You resulted in throwing tantrums to score cheap points.

All I can say is you lack the intellectual depth of an ideal human being. You need deliverance and perhaps revelation
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Richardjcooper(m): 10:47am On Mar 16, 2022
Franking:

Yeah, the corrupt politician part is well noted. I guess everything is relative because the northern politicians are no better. They generally keep their people in perpetual penury.

Totally agree. We all need to unite against our common enemy as they are united against us

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 16, 2022
Tolling has a security advantage, because security personnel are also deployed at toll gates,.it also helps to slow down fleeing criminals, by paying for toll, you are paying for good service on the highways.

A country like Nigeria needs such a system, for effective security coordination, as well as providing essential services on the highways, such as free vehicle towing service, when cars break down, free services, cleaning and maintenance of the highway etc. Giving the toll to a private company to manage on behalf of government, is the way to go. Government owns the entity (tollgate), but employs private consultant to run it. It's mostly heavy duty trucks and transporters that will feel the impact of tolling, for they are always on the road, it is okay for government to tax businesses because it leads to more revenue for the state, to be used on the society. Most people hardly travel and use highways.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Miracle2022: 11:14am On Mar 16, 2022
dettolgel:

Lagos to Kano how many toll?
three tolls .
Ota -lokoja, lokoja-abuja, Abuja-Akwanga.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Miracle2022: 11:19am On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

Bros.... I have 2 questions for you....
1. If private companies would be more efficient infrastructure managers, why was the construction of these roads not concessioned to them in the first place instead of government incurring massive debt?
2. Where in this country has public roads been efficiently managed by private tolling companies in the past?
we don't need to continue doing the same thing year inn year out without good results. We need to change tactics.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by obi58: 11:23am On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
we don't need to continue doing the same thing year inn year out without good results. We need to change tactics.

What are the good results we have enjoyed from privatising the power sector?

Why did the government not hand these roads to private companies to construct and then manage? Why incur extra debt
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Str8talk21: 11:28am On Mar 16, 2022
North with it's large expanse land mass has only 5 roads to be rolled while the whole of Southern region with about ⅓ of Northern land mass has 7 roads to be tolled. Truly, dis cheating of the South by the North must stop.
We want to know the length of each road and if there are any connecting Bridges, total cost of construction or rehabilitation to ascertain the genuinety of this need to till these roads.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by obi58: 11:31am On Mar 16, 2022
Fairmedia:
Tolling has a security advantage, because security personnel are also deployed at toll gates,.it also helps to slow down fleeing criminals, by paying for toll, you are paying for good service on the highways.

A country like Nigeria needs such a system, for effective security coordination, as well as providing essential services on the highways, such as free vehicle towing service, when cars break down, free services, cleaning and maintenance of the highway etc. Giving the toll to a private company to manage on behalf of government, is the way to go. Government owns the entity (tollgate), but employs private consultant to run it. It's mostly heavy duty trucks and transporters that will feel the impact of tolling, for they are always on the road, it is okay for government to tax businesses because it leads to more revenue for the state, to be used on the society. Most people hardly travel and use highways.

Bros we were all in this country awhile back when the FG cited reasons for toll gate removal and implemented same.

We are always quick to quote other climes when it comes to government's core function of providing basic amenities for its citizens arguing that management of these resources will be better in private hands , that is why our refineries don't work and our privatised power sector is basically moribund. Look at what is happening in the country regarding fuel scarcity. EVERYTHING has skyrocketed. Airlines are on the verge of shutdown.
Nigerians are suffering badly and now you want to impose road taxes which further increase the cost of transportation and goods. Which way are we going?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by OreMI22: 11:53am On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend shehu will leave same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

Meanwhile, the best roads in Nigeria are in the Northwest region, while the absolutely WORST roads in Nigeria are in the Southeast region.

Yet when it comes to tolling roads, ALL the southeast roads are tolled, while only one road leading from Abuja to the Northwest is tolled!

Go figure the shameless injustice called Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

Bros we were all in this country awhile back when the FG cited reasons for toll gate removal and implemented same.

We are always quick to quote other climes when it comes to government's core function of providing basic amenities for its citizens arguing that management of these resources will be better in private hands , that is why our refineries don't work and our privatised power sector is basically moribund. Look at what is happening in the country regarding fuel scarcity. EVERYTHING has skyrocketed. Airlines are on the verge of shutdown.
Nigerians are suffering badly and now you want to impose road taxes which further increase the cost of transportation and goods. Which way are we going?
Read carefully...most times they charge N200, N500, it is small money compared to the value the heavy duty truck or transport bus is carrying. Good services takes taxes, levies or such tolling system. How many times do you trave?...it is the Dangotes and other transporters who are getting paid daily from the road, that will always pay. The amount of toll is quite insignificant to warrant a huge change in the overall cost, toll gate levies will not make any serious transport company raise fares. But it accumulates for public service and utility. Read well am talking of either concession, or public assets but run and managed by private consultants.

Putting tollgates on the Lekki expressway is bad, because this is a metropolis, it can also lead to heavy traffic, and not reasonable, tollgates are placed on 'commercial' highways. Where heavy duty trucks and lorries ply, for these are commercial activities, these trucks put a lot of strain on the roads, so taxing in this instance is fair and reasonable.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by obi58: 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2022
Fairmedia:

Read carefully...most times they charge N200, N500, it is small money compared to the value the heavy duty truck or transport bus is carrying. Good services takes taxes, levies or such tolling system. How many times do you trave?...it is the Dangotes and other transporters who are getting paid daily from the road, that will always pay. The amount of toll is quite insignificant to warrant a huge change in the overall cost, toll gate levies will not make any serious transport company raise fares. But it accumulates for public service and utility. Read well am talking of either concession, or public assets but run and managed by private consultants.

Bros you keep forgetting the Nigerian factor or rather, the multiplier effect that makes the market woman increase the price of pepper because dollar price went up. You may look at it that it's just N200 owe car but what if the vehicle passes 3 roads along it's journey? Doesn't that build up. If it's a commercial vehicle don't you think these added costs will be transferred

Yes transport companies may not increase bus fares but you can be sure that private transit vehicles and buses will transfer the cost of ferrying commodities to their customers who will transfer it to increased market price for their commodities.

It's better to impose a road tax on licensed trucking and bus companies for maintenance of these structures than create another pool of funds that supposedly serve the masses but instead will end up in the wrong hands like the fuel subsidy.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nikes(m): 12:10pm On Mar 16, 2022
Nobody has said a thing about the road linking the North Central to the east. That road is a total mess, especially when you get to benue.
If the Federal Government wants to privatize and toll the highways, fine. The question is, would these private companies conduct proper maintenance on these roads as supposed? Because naija man still dey suffer DISCO wahala o
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Miracle2022: 12:22pm On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

What are the good results we have enjoyed from privatising the power sector?

Why did the government not hand these roads to private companies to construct and then manage? Why incur extra debt
one step at a time.
Privatisation of electricity was not given 100% to private companies.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by ubox: 12:28pm On Mar 16, 2022
Born2Breed:

You don't even have sense. I thought I was mentioned for a reasonable suggestion, not this bunkum.
Can't you air your opinions without being vulgar...

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by obi58: 12:30pm On Mar 16, 2022
Miracle2022:
one step at a time.
Privatisation of electricity was not given 100% to private companies.

The question is which step have we taken forward in the power sector?

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2022
obi58:

Bros you keep forgetting the Nigerian factor or rather, the multiplier effect that makes the market woman increase the price of pepper because dollar price went up. You may look at it that it's just N200 owe car but what if the vehicle passes 3 roads along it's journey? Doesn't that build up. If it's a commercial vehicle don't you think these added costs will be transferred

Yes transport companies may not increase bus fares but you can be sure that private transit vehicles and buses will transfer the cost of ferrying commodities to their customers who will transfer it to increased market price for their commodities.

It's better to impose a road tax on licensed trucking and bus companies for maintenance of these structures than create another pool of funds that supposedly serve the masses but instead will end up in the wrong hands like the fuel subsidy.
You keep missing the point...the impact is insignificant, it's not fuel...the value each transportation bus conveys runs in the millions sometimes, on a trip, the value the heavy duty vehicles convey is in tens of millions. Government earns taxes via commercial activities...N2000 per trip tolling cost, can not make any significant difference in the profit margins of the transporters or distributors of the commodities being conveyed, while the managers of the tolling point, will have a sizeable amount of money to provide the services I mentioned earlier. Service is important. let's be reasonable. Highway tollgate is fine and reasonable, not inner city or metropolis tolling. Western nations also have highway toll points.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by honeybobo69: 12:55pm On Mar 16, 2022
one of the best thing we can do for the generation after is to STOP APC, PDP and these corrupt politicians from ruining things any further, it's obvious they don't mean well for NIGERIA.
VOTE for new set of intelligent, patriotic, good hearted individuals. NIGERIA WOULD BE ONE OF THE GREATEST COUNTY ON EARTH once we're no longer governed by CRIMINALS.

Quitam:

In its bid to ensure the regular maintenance of its road network across Nigeria, the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing plans to concession no fewer than 12 federal highways to private entities to manage.

The arrangement would enable the private companies to introduce toll gates on the 12 highways and collect revenue which they would use and regularly maintain such roads.
This information is contained in a document, which Vanguard obtained, yesterday, from the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing in Abuja.

The 12 highways to be concessioned under the Ministry’s “Highway Management Development Initiative”, HMDI, are: [/b]Benin-Asaba, Abuja-Lokoja, Kano-Katsina, Onitsha-Owerri, Shagamu-Benin and Abuja-Keffi-Akwanga.[b]

Others are: [/b]Kano-Shuari, Potiskum-Damaturu, Lokoja-Benin, Enugu-Port Harcourt, Ilorin-Jebba, Lagos-Ota-Abeokuta and Lagos-Badagry-Seme Border.[b]

The roads, according to the ministry, come under the pilot phase of the HDMI to be managed by selected private sector investors under its Value-Added Concession, VAC, arrangement.

The 12 highways according to the document reviewed by Vanguard represent merely 5.6 percent or 1,963 kilometres of the country’s 35,000 km federal highway network.

The document estimates that not less than N1.34 trillion of private sector investment would flow into the highways while no fewer than 50,000 direct jobs and 200,000 indirect jobs would be created by the concessioning of the highways to the private operators

“It’s not really about revenue; it is about the expected injection into the economy. The estimated private sector investment required for the development and maintenance of the 12 routes is N1.34 trillion and the impact such investment will have on the economy cannot be overstated.

“The anticipated private sector investment will stimulate thousands of job opportunities for Nigerians as the Highway Economy comes alive along federal highways.

A minimum 50,000 direct jobs and over 200’000 indirect jobs are envisaged to be created spanning construction works, installations, steel fabrication, security, hospitality, vehicle repairs, waste management and administrative work as the Value Chain along the Highway Economy is activated. The combined impact of this mini economy will be a significant boost to our national GDP as productivity and earnings are enhanced,” the ministry document boasted.

Beyond the Value-Added Concession, VAC arrangement, the FMWH is also planning to use another vehicle known as the Unbundled Assets Approvals initiative, UAAI, to maximize the use of its assets on the highways.

Under this category, the ministry plans to issue approvals/permits to individuals to use assets on the right of way on a Build, Operate and or maintain basis.

Both the VAC and the UAAI, according to the ministry aim to provide adequate highway services through the development of revenue-generating assets along the highway.

“This is key to maintaining the functionality of the highway as well as engaging and generating wealth for indigenous small and medium enterprises,” it says.

The ministry explained that it had already obtained the approval of the Infrastructure Concession and Regulatory Commission, ICRC, to go ahead with the implementation of the HMDI which incorporates the concessioning of the highways and the right of way to private sector operators.

Explaining the objectives of the HMDI, the ministry said: “The objective is to develop an eco-system along the federal highway network by bringing multi-dimensional resources of skills, manpower, finance, technology, and efficiency into the National Highway governance.

“Ultimately, this home-grown initiative will be the lasting solution to the development and management of federal highways by introducing order, accountability and profitable entrepreneurship to the operation, management, and maintenance of Nigeria’s 35,000 km federal highways.

“The Initiative is expected to be anchored on private sector engagement via concessioning of economically viable routes to technically and financially capable private companies, through the management and development of the right-of-way. A major hindrance to highway development and management has been a paucity of required funds to service the vast and ever-expanding road network. To negate this handicap, the FMWH proposes the engagement of concessionaires who will manage and develop the right of way, whilst maximizing its commercial potential.

“The main objective of the Initiative is to attract expertise and sustainable investment/funding in the development of road infrastructure and to maximize the use of assets along the Right of Way and develop other highway furniture,” the ministry pointed out.
The government, according to the document will soon call for bidders in a transparent process that would be conducted in collaboration with the ICRC.

It said: “The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, in collaboration with the ICRC, will soon advertise the Request for Qualification (RFQ) bidding process for the available categories under the HDMI scheme.

“The process will be transparent to allow the most effective bids to compete vigorously in a process that delivers service and dividend to Nigerians. (technically and financially capable firms/consortiums).

“We are determined to ensure our assets are entrusted into capable hands. Therefore, interested persons, companies and groups are advised to

Form consortiums of construction/road maintenance companies, financiers, toll operators, rest house operators, advertising companies, lane marking experts, refuse managers and other partners.”
Some of the revenue-generating assets and highway services being targeted by the ministry are: Toll plazas, weighbridges, advertising assets, directional signage structures and space, street lighting with advertising space and open spaces, including but not limited to truck parks and rest areas, refuse management, towing services, highway monitoring and emergency services.

The ministry made it clear that it was carrying out the new initiative since it has a legal framework under the Federal Highway Act, which vests the Minister of Works and Housing with authority over federal highway network and empowers him to administer tolls on federal highways.

Besides, the ministry said that the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) is mandated by law with regulatory oversight over Ministries, Departments and Agencies in developing bankable PPP projects, pointing out that the ICRC worked closely with it in the conception of the initiative.

“The ICRC has just issued a Certificate of Compliance to the Ministry of Works and Housing, what this means is that the ministry has met all the conditions necessary to proceed to the next stage of procurement of the HDMI scheme.

“So, we are about to kick-off with the pilot phase of the HDMI scheme. In the first phase, the government is proposing the concession of 12 selected federal highways to private sector investors, under the Value-Added Concession, VAC arrangement”.

SOURCE:https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/02/fg-plans-tolling-on-12-highways/amp/

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by adeoba2008(m): 1:09pm On Mar 16, 2022
Parachoko:
Have the second Niger bridge been completed?

Lagos Ibadan expressway will also be tolled.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Missionaire: 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2022
dejol88:

Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 16, 2022
this concession will only work if reputable firms like Julius berger, setraco,Arab contractors,dangote construction, craneburg ,mtn or the banks in Nigeria get the roads.

if in the usual Nigerian way the roads gets run by firms like Intel, OUK's zeerock or HITECH of Lagos, then it's corruption and bad roads all over again
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by GodisFirst: 2:48pm On Mar 16, 2022
South Easterners were already paying toll in all their roads until they got rid of the Criminals led by the Super Tailor Kyari.
The Soldiers are still there, their own time is on the way. Someday all this will be contained.
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by Shikena(m): 3:52pm On Mar 16, 2022
Let me join some morons in asking why Onitsha-Awka-Enugu is not there grin
Re: FG Plans Tolling On 12 Highways by oscarlamba: 3:58pm On Mar 16, 2022
Shey be na on top road wey good dem dey put tolling. Make I see how dem wan do dis one especially that Lagos-Abekouta expressway

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A List Of Tinubu's Titles And Awards / FG Splits NIPOST Into 7 Zones, 6 Business Units / Presidential Election: Report Any Incident Of Vote Buying Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.