Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,830 members, 7,844,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun (888 Views)

Ajimobi: No Free Land For Grazing / Governor Amosun Of Ogun Stoned By TASUED Students As He Ran For Cover [PIC] / Don’t Lie, Ogun Has No Free Health Services, Doctors Tell Gov. Amosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by Depointer1: 12:50am On Jul 01, 2011
The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, has declared that henceforth the state government won’t sponsor people on pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem.

He stated this yesterday during his state of the state address held at the Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta. He was responding to a question from one of the representatives of a Muslim group at the occasion.

Amosun said: “With apology to all our religious leaders both the Muslims and Christians, I want to say this clearly that there won’t be free Hajj or pilgrimage to Jerusalem for anybody in the state. Nobody should be expecting that the state government will sponsor pilgrimage.

“Why should we be doing that for now, where is the money? A state where we cannot afford to pay workers’ salaries, no water, no electricity, our schools are in shambles, our hospitals are in deplorable conditions, infrastructure in the state are outrightly in decay. How can we now have resources for that?

“There is no free pilgrimage in the state for now. By the time things are getting better and its clear to all of us that the state is okay, maybe, we can then think of that. But for now, no way.”

The governor, however, promised that he will continue with his personal obligations of sending people to the holy land as he had done even before he come into politics.

He said: “Many of you here know that I have been sending people to Mecca and Jerusalem in the last 12 to 15 years before I even dreamt of going into politics. If chance permits and God provides the resources, I will do that personally and not from government purse. I have been doing it and I pray to God to give me more strength and resources to continue doing that.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/06/30/no-free-hajj-again-in-ogun-says-amosun/
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by mastro: 9:32am On Jul 01, 2011
As a Muslim, on a Friday, I can quite honestly say

[size=14pt]ABOUT BLOODY TIME[/size]

A persons religion is their own personal affair, yes Govt should try and accommodate religion, but IMO has absolutely no business subsidising Hajj,
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by otokx(m): 9:56am On Jul 01, 2011
progressive move
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by ektbear: 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2011
Excellent move!
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by jamace(m): 6:07pm On Jul 01, 2011
OP

The title of this thread could lead to another Boko Haram bomb o. Please reframe to read "No free PILGRIMAGE again in Ogun, says Amosun". I take God beg you o. grin grin
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by joecrack(m): 6:35pm On Jul 01, 2011
Well nice move by amosun,
but sha his mates up north wont try it ooo,they will term you an enemy of islam,and you sure know u are not coming back to govt house.
But is it not time for change,people wallop in poverty whilst the govt spend thousands in hundreds to sponsor them for one unnecessary exercise.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Jul 01, 2011
Brilliant.

I told you ACN is the real deal
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by folem: 6:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
Well, hmm, if he was sponsoring 20 people before now, but sends 2,000 for holy pilgrimage after becoming Governor then it can then be assumed which purse the money is coming from.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by Depointer1: 7:16pm On Jul 01, 2011
I hope other Governors especially in South will follow this. At least civilization will start from somewhere for others to conform.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by Pukkah: 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
Government has no business promoting ANY religion over the other. This is a good move.

Governments (state and federal) should also stop building churches and mosques. Let those who profess each religion spend their personal resources to promote their religion.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by AndreUweh(m): 9:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
Well done Amosun. But that is not enough. Those that have benefited from the state pulse to embark on pilgrimages should be asked to refund the money bit by bit. A special task force may be created to enforce this refund. It will really help the debt-ridden state.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by joecrack(m): 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Well done Amosun. But that is not enough. Those that have benefited from the state pulse to embark on pilgrimages should be asked to refund the money bit by bit. A special task force may be created to enforce this refund. It will really help the debt-ridden state.
no nah bros
dat no possible oo,they'll tell you they are nigerians abi indigenes,and therefore are ably entitled to national cake.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by dayokanu(m): 9:23pm On Jul 01, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Not possible, I am poor I cant afford it, Govt has a program for pilgrims, I apply and I am given, Why should I refund it?

people who took it didnt break any laws
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by AndreUweh(m): 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Not possible, I am poor I cant afford it, Govt has a program for pilgrims, I apply and I am given, Why should I refund it?

people who took it didnt break any laws
I understand your angle. It is a revenue drive. The state is heavilly in debt and that has to be reduced if not wiped off. The refund has to be bit by bit. God bless Ogun state.
Re: No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun by AndreUweh(m): 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
Other state governors should Emulate Amosun in this area.

(1) (Reply)

Warahell! Govt Not Responsible For Delay In Salary – Aregbesola / Blu3prin7's Plan (naijahacktivist) / Lastma: Shameful Or Shameless

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.