Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) (66946 Views)

Havard Medical School Morgue Manager Accused Of Selling Body Parts (Pictures) / Ukrainian Forces Have Retaken Control Of Mykolaiv Airport. / Hundreds Arrested As Russians Protest Invasion Of Ukraine (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 2:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
Forensic institute in Ukrainian city under Russian attack says it has received 120 bodies – soldiers and civilians – since outbreak of war.

A Ukrainian man in camouflage stands next to snow-covered body bags in the yard of a morgue in Mykolaiv, a city on the shores of the Black Sea that has been under Russian attack for days, on March 11, 2022 [Bulent Kilic/AFP]

The corpse lies with its hands clasped, as if in prayer.

In fact, says the morgue employee, he was throwing Molotov cocktails when the Russians caught him. They tied his hands and executed him.

Such are the chilling images from the morgue in Mykolaiv, a city on the shores of the Black Sea that has been under Russian attack for days.

Outside, in the courtyard of the forensic institute where the morgue is located, the snow is constantly falling on corpses wrapped in grey plastic body bags, waiting to be evacuated.

In the dilapidated building, bodies are placed on the floor for lack of space. The insidious smell of death, mixed with disinfectant, is everywhere.

Doctors perform autopsies in questionable hygienic conditions. Naked bodies lie in the way of the cold store, where the fatalities from a bombardment a few days earlier in nearby Ochakiv are piled up.

Vladimir, a morgue employee who gave only his first name, lights cigarette after cigarette.

“I’ve never seen such a thing. We thought the worst thing that could happen to us here was car accidents,” he says, shaking his head.

Two men carry a corpse in a body bag to lay it next to others in a snow-covered yard in Mykolaiv [Bulent Kilic/AFP]

‘So young’
Crossing the courtyard again, Vladimir opens a door onto a nightmarish spectacle.

About 30 corpses are placed on the ground. Two soldiers in fatigues, one disembowelled, are stacked on top of each other. There appear to be civilians, too.

“They are so young, younger than my nephew,” says Vladimir.

At the back of the room, there is also a Russian soldier.

“We keep them separated.”

Identification
Some bodies are difficult to identify, especially among the 19 that arrived from Ochakiv two days ago. DNA samples are taken, experts note tattoos and jewellery.

The bodies of the soldiers are repatriated to their region of origin. “They are all very young, born in 1990, in 2000,” says Dierugina.

There is silence when asked how she feels. Then her face suddenly sags: “Fear. We all have children.”

Trying not to break down, she wipes away tears.

“Here in Mykolaiv, it’s still fine, but my parents are in Chernihiv [in the north], they can’t evacuate.”

Fifteen of her colleagues have fled west, but there are about 60 personnel still working at the forensic hospital, including 20 in the morgue.

“I can never thank them enough,” says Dierugina.

The situation is still under control in Mykolaiv, she adds, but “we are heading straight for a humanitarian disaster if this continues”.

Outside the morgue, several families wait in silence under the falling snow.

Source:
Aljazeera News

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Olunmercy56(f): 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2022
cry Mere crisis then in Ile Ife and Modakeke, lots of lives wasted. War is not good

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Nukilia: 2:23pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zelensky must pay for the betrayal of his people! I can imagine if GEJ had used stronghead to stay as president in 2015, Nigeria would have been a dead zone by now.

Today, all Nigerians are paying for the deception of APC.

Note: I do not owe any BL**DY slowpoke any apology!

Zelensky is a f**l for relying on the West and EU to help him crush Russia.
PUTIN is not QADAFFI

232 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by FERNANDEZISBACK: 2:37pm On Mar 16, 2022
Nukilia:
Zelensky must pay for the betrayal of his people! I can imagine if GEJ had used stronghead to stay as president in 2015, Nigeria would have been a dead zone by now.

So he betrayed his people by defending his nation?
Not all president are weaklings that run at the sound of gunshot..at a point in life you have to fight for your freedom and stop being a coward..
Some of you are actually weird..Is that not what a good president is supposed to do under such circumstances? If he fled to the EU or surrendered to the Russians that would be a victory for the enemy. But if the Russians kill him he will be the victor...he stood and defend his Nation..

He is a true patriot and servant of the people of Ukraine.
He cares about the future of his nation and his people more than he cares about his political power.. his wealth or even his own survival.

Stalin refused to evacuate Moscow as Wehrmacht forces approached leading up to the Battle of Moscow...Stalin set an example to his beleaguered troops and civilians...This bolstered their morale and the rest is history... Zelensky is using Stalin’s tactic against Putin the Stalin wannabe.. wink

245 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Enoch07: 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2022
Hmmmm the president of Ukraine should do the needful asap before Russia level that country just as USA did to libya

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by 9182736455O1999(m): 3:00pm On Mar 16, 2022
Instead of them to blame Putin they are blaming Zelensky. na wa for Nigerians o

125 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Emeskhalifa(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
I wish both parties will call this off sha.

4 Likes

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by ladoje: 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
shocked
Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by suent: 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
R I P

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Olayetan(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
Honestly, Zelensky is a coward and stupid man, all this death is on him, after the war, they should prosecute him.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Charliemunger4: 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
Mods, no be only Ukraine n Russia de this earth. Abeg we don tire.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by phemmyfour: 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
Nukilia:

Coward

What happened to "To defend her Unity"

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Kundagarten: 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ok
Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by EdgarBounce(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2022
So so sad
Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by uuzba(m): 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
We just do Christmas and New Year finish.
One idiot will just start throwing bomb to kill people that were not even looking for his trouble.

Haba.
This is wicked and evil.

20 Likes

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Spaxon(f): 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
last video i watched some of those corpses were staged.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by MrCover: 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
Nawa o
Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Rexymania(m): 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zelensky should be held accountable

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by setobaba: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
just 120 corpses for about 3weeks war, then Nigeria is at war daily, cos Nigerian here praying for Ukraine have more than 100 incessant killings daily all over Nigeria

Pray for Nigeria

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by tiswell(m): 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
may Allah forgive their sins

I stand with Russia and Russians

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by JosephXavier: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
This is what happens when a country is led by a comedian

Why start what you know you cannot finish

The comedian president that rushed and wore a military attire is the one begging that they won't join NATO

The question now is, "why fight in the beginning"

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Realestatevixen: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
Hmm
Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Kingjay5(m): 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
phemmyfour:
Coward

What happened to "To defend her Unity"
would have cursed your generation but I will curse you, may your life look the way Nigeria is now under APC with the so called progress. Please quote me and say Amen, slowpoke.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Godispeace: 3:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
ediot !!! what is the correlation with GEJ matter ? u flat heads dont have sense at all , f00ol shocked shocked shocked :oquote author=Nukilia post=111088797]Zelensky must pay for the betrayal of his people! I can imagine if GEJ had used stronghead to stay as president in 2015, Nigeria would have been a dead zone by now.

[/quote]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by posty56: 3:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
most of this things are staged ,and why are they showing Russia casualties? go to Facebook search for "MaxDefence Philippines", go and see footages of Ukrainiana taking out Russia equipments through guerilla warfare

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corpses Pile Up In Mykolaiv Morgue, Ukraine (Pictures) by Alaefulu(m): 3:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
Fighting or hiding in bunker why his people are dieing like fowl
FERNANDEZISBACK:

So he betrayed his people by defending his nation?
Not all president are weaklings that run at the sound of gunshot..at a point in life you have to fight for your freedom and stop being a coward..

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How Close Russia Is To USA Geographically: Photo / 2500-Year-Old Intact & Sealed Coffins Discovered In Egypt (Pictures) / Russia's President Putin Exposed To Coronavirus - BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.