Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? (1418 Views)

Is It Safe To Visit Nigeria During This Pandemic? / Begging Attitude: White Man Married To Nigerian Lady Vows Never To Visit Nigeria / What Are The Requirements For A Foreigner Visiting Nigeria To Marry Her Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by ChimasGirl(f): 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2022
Okay, then let me ask specifically about Abuja and tell you what my boyfriend has told me. He has stated that the city itself is safe. We would stay in one of the hotels where most foreigners and visitors would stay. He would always be by my side, and he would even ask his sister's family to come meet me. We wouldn't go to any sketchy locations. He will not have me in any areas where mosquitoes swarm for fear I'd get malaria. He is even hesitant to let me ride a tuk tuk because they are not the safest mode of transportation. He is already considering what food I eat too. He won't let me drink bagged water, but instead bottled water, such as from Nestle. I know he would be very diligent, and I too would be very cautious of my actions and how I presented myself.
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Bifwoli: 1:14am On Mar 18, 2022
ednut1:
Let him come meet you in Lagos. Lodge in lekki or Ikeja area. There are white people all over Nigeria living freely. But i will never understand why foreigners fall for guys who are probably scammers lol
So why didn't you recommend lodges in Ijeshatedo ,Mushin or Oworonshoki ?
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Mcslize: 6:06am On Mar 18, 2022
ChimasGirl:

Yes sir! He already calls me his Queen! smiley Thank you for the well wishes!!!

When you come, you guys should visit Calabar or Uyo together. Those 2 cities are lit and highly safe.
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by zeb04(f): 6:35am On Mar 18, 2022
ChimasGirl:
Okay, then let me ask specifically about Abuja and tell you what my boyfriend has told me. He has stated that the city itself is safe. We would stay in one of the hotels where most foreigners and visitors would stay. He would always be by my side, and he would even ask his sister's family to come meet me. We wouldn't go to any sketchy locations. He will not have me in any areas where mosquitoes swarm for fear I'd get malaria. He is even hesitant to let me ride a tuk tuk because they are not the safest mode of transportation. He is already considering what food I eat too. He won't let me drink bagged water, but instead bottled water, such as from Nestle. I know he would be very diligent, and I too would be very cautious of my actions and how I presented myself.

you have made up your mind to come so why are you asking all this questions?

If you were my child or friend, I wouldn’t advise you to come.

If I were your boyfriend, I will suggest we meet(like a little vacation in another African country). Nigeria is not safe even for locals….. for a foreigner, you will be spotted instantly. A thousand and one person here has tried to tell you but you wouldn’t listen.

It is your life anyway.

2 Likes

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 18, 2022
Ishilove:

As in, see as the guy dey cap nonsense with baffling confidence
some Nigerians na mumu I swear.
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by GeneralDae: 9:37am On Mar 18, 2022
zeb04:

you have made up your mind to come so why are you asking all this questions?

If you were my child or friend, I wouldn’t advise you to come.

If I were your boyfriend, I will suggest we meet(like a little vacation in another African country). Nigeria is not safe even for locals….. for a foreigner, you will be spotted instantly. A thousand and one person here has tried to tell you but you wouldn’t listen.

It is your life anyway.
What are all these for God's sake? Are there no whites in thesame Abuja or Nigeria? What da fvck is wrong with people these days?

1 Like

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 18, 2022
Please visit Anambra.
Soludo is our new governor and he's a very good man.
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by cayorday89(m): 2:08pm On Mar 18, 2022
Ishilove:

Your parents make it sound like Nigeria is Northern Sudan
Funny enough, it's same way you are made to believe Northern Sudan is inhabitable, only few places are affected by whatever crisis is going on there just like Boko Haram is ravaging few parts of Nigeria...
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by GeneralDae: 3:24pm On Mar 18, 2022
cayorday89:

Funny enough, it's same way you are made to believe Northern Sudan is inhabitable, only few places are affected by whatever crisis is going on there just like Boko Haram is ravaging few parts of Nigeria...
If Chicago or Detroit were to be in any African country, and maybe even only a tiny part of it, the Western Media would still term that entire country uninhabitable. Yet people want to go to the U.S all the time irrespective of the fact that the number of gun violence in the U.S for just these 3 months in 2022 far exceeds killings by Boko Haram since 2021 January till date.

2 Likes

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2022
ChimasGirl:
Good people of Nairaland. I ask this question because it is my plan to visit my boyfriend living in Abuja. I am visiting my parents this weekend, and they have known since December that he and I have been talking. Now that they are aware I'd like to go see him, they are worrying to death about my safety. When I see them this weekend, I am sure they will try their absolute best to dissuade me from coming to Nigeria. Please, give me your honest opinions of just how dangerous it would be for me.
For starters, Abuja (the main FCT area, not the outskirts) is ten times safer than Detroit.
Lagos (Ikeja, Yaba, Surulere, Lekki, Victoria Island etc) is 15 times safer than Chicago.
What does that tell you?
Nigeria is not necessarily as dangerous as it is being portrayed, as long as you don't visit the Northern part of the country.
Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by GeneralDae: 4:15pm On Mar 18, 2022
Kellzzyy:

For starters, Abuja (the main FCT area, not the outskirts) is ten times safer than Detroit.
Lagos (Ikeja, Yaba, Surulere, Lekki, Victoria Island etc) is 15 times safer than Chicago.
What does that tell you?
Nigeria is not necessarily as dangerous as it is being portrayed, as long as you don't visit the Northern part of the country.
I think we are also guilty of thesame thing we accuse the outside world of. To foreigners, when they hear Bokoharam or Herdsmen, they do not care if those incidents do not happen in Lagos, Abuja, Calabar, etc.

Do you know Niger state and Kaduna put together is bigger than the entire south east as well as Lagos?? The reason we keep telling foreigners to avoid the North, is that the south controls the media in Nigeria. The educated Northerners are hardly on social media and that's the problem.

1 Like

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Kwara1stson: 4:20pm On Mar 18, 2022
So we wey dey Nigeria we no be human being or we should kill ourselves because of insecurity. Are people not leaving in Somalia, Afganistan, Ukraine? Abeg swerve

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Dangerous Is It For A Foreigner To Visit Nigeria? by Ray7878: 11:28am On Apr 01, 2022
ChimasGirl:

I think people actually overreact when talking about any foreigners coming to west Africa. Our mindset need to change.

Prior to me visiting Nigeria and marrying a lady from Abeokuta I had never been. Even though my parents were Nigerian.

For years they would NOT allow us to go and would put out negative things in our minds (Especially my mother).

The sad reality is Lagos even though was overpopulated was an amazing place to be, I never felt unsafe, the only time I felt unsafe is when I got stopped in my Uber by the police who were doing their road side checks, because I have dreadlocks and don’t sound Nigerian.

I have been twice since, stayed in Airbnb rather than hotels, visited places and felt safe, the people are amazing, they would ask you for money but never pull a knife on you like in the UK where I have almost been stabbed TWICE. People just stare at you because you look different, but most would say hello etc and nothing else.

So it’s frustrating when I see or read Nigerians who live in Nigeria, making unsafe comments to others who are trying to visit the country.

Yes be cautions, yes be aware of your surroundings and yes know the location that you would be staying and making sure it’s a safe area.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hotels In Ghana / Nigerian Students! Read N Choose Where You Travel Wisely / Cheapest Flights To Usa From Naij

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.