Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry (15898 Views)

Coffins Of Ocholi, His Wife And Son, To Be Buried Today (Photos) / Fashola Sent Award Winning Photographer To Photography School. Inspiring Story. / The Katsina Lawmaker Who Sent His Children To A Public School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Gbenge77(m): 9:13pm On Jul 01, 2011
Although he is fabulously wealthy,Fashola doesnt consider himself A Nigerian Big Man.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by emmatok(m): 9:21pm On Jul 01, 2011
@Musiwa

Must of the Korean, Japanese and Indonesians I have worked with are Technician and not University graduates.

But those  lads can troubleshoot any Printed Circute Board on Earth.

Yet must of our EE graduates from OAU and UI, cannot handle a soldering Iron, all they know is "Theories from Text Books".

Technical Education is the only route to industrialisation.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Nosyke(m): 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2011
Musiwa,.:

That is stupidity, Fashola is encouraging mediocre. That is wrong, if lagos state has problem in universities admission, we build more universities. This is why I have been fighting and risking been charge for treason.  because there is injustice in nigeria. and the government of nigeria want the injustice to continue.

like i said it leave with only two option, we remove edo,delta and yoruba out of Nigeria. or we go all the way with a civil war. A civil war looks like the only solution at this time.

In as much as I dont doubt that going to a university is bad or obsolete, I am also finding it difficult to believe that University certificates are complete visa to financial freedom.
People like Bill gates didnt have a degree in Computer science/programming before achieving what he has achieved, Do you think Fashola cant send his son to Harvard or other Ivy Colleges like most of his mates would do?, no but he is sending a message across, that we should de-emphasize certificates.
Have you seen any average job interviews/tests lately?, do you think all those people that attended it dont have degrees/HNDs?
For example the not too long ago aptitude test by FRSC and NDLEA, the crowd you saw in any of those centres have one certificate or the other.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by honeric01(m): 9:39pm On Jul 01, 2011
talknafree:

Both the boy and girl were the ones who put pressure on their dad that they wanted to go and learn a skill before they gain admission rather than just being id

Sorry sir but how did you know this? you were peeping in the bedroom or you're one of the kids? undecided
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Nosyke(m): 9:41pm On Jul 01, 2011
honeric01:

Sorry sir but how did you know this? you were peeping in the bedroom or you're one of the kids? undecided

cool cool cool cool grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
He is working. Has anyone passed olodi apapa streets, bucknor iyana isheri rd, apapa expressway of recent?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by jonnex: 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2011
Soft words to pacify ordinary Nigerians.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Delible(m): 9:56pm On Jul 01, 2011
but lagos is still flooded

And so. Does this relate to the thread. Na wah for you ooo.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Delible(m): 9:57pm On Jul 01, 2011
but lagos is still flooded

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 01, 2011
university certificate is not a quarantee to financial security.as economy is changing,most people that lack skills would be jobless. Automation and IT would reduce demand for unskilled workers.skilled workers like carpenter,nurses,doctors,technicians,lab scientist,driver,barber,tailor etc would continue to be relevant to economic development.learn a skill and be part of solution to unemployment.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by romeo(m): 10:13pm On Jul 01, 2011
Why are those school kids dressed like soldiers and police with those green and blue berets? That mentality never change?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by tickpoint: 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2011
the man is just facing reality, he does not believe in fake life.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by femeluaka(m): 10:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
wetin concern agbero with overload?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Natasha2(f): 10:30pm On Jul 01, 2011
, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 10:57pm On Jul 01, 2011
talknafree:

This is nice!!! just yesterday i was with a friend who i outsource most of my Graphics and works too and a man walked in (the guys friend) to make his intention known that he actually wants two of his children (whom i saw) a boy and a girl to come and learn graphics and printing for six months before entering the university by December this year. they just wrote jamb and their results are very good enough to gain admission into the university.

Both the boy and girl were the ones who put pressure on their dad that they wanted to go and learn a skill before they gain admission rather than just being id

I will advice any parent to send their kids to learn a skill because NO GUARANTEED PAYING JOB only us can determine our future

Very well said. The Lagos state government not only make vocational education available to you for free, they'll even give you money to start business with after graduation.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 10:59pm On Jul 01, 2011
IN LAGOS, SKILL ACQUISITION CENTRES HELP DEPOPULATE LABOUR MARKET

[b]
For years, Dupe John-Alade had roamed Lagos streets in search of a job. Having graduated from the Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Noforija, Epe, Lagos in 2007, the young lady thought she would find a job as a teacher with one of the numerous public or private primary schools in the state.

She got a job with a primary school at Onipanu, but that did not last. She was forced to quit when she could no longer manage her poor salary which, in her own words, could not conveniently transport her to and from work from her house at Owode-Elede in Mile 12 area.

'It was better for me to know I was jobless than to keep deceiving myself that I was employed even when I wasn't making a kobo as profit at the end of the month,' Dupe told the reporter.

A friend eventually told Dupe of the existence of skills acquisition centres located in different areas of the state. She quickly embraced the idea and got herself registered at the Eredo centre in Epe where she was tutored in hair dressing and allied subjects. Today, she has become an expert in hair plaiting, weaving, braiding, manicure and pedicure, among others. And she makes enough money to cater to her needs as well as support her younger siblings.

'I thank God for the advice I got from my friend to try the skills acquisition centre,' Dupe informed. 'Today, it has given me an opportunity to stand on my own. Instead of combing the streets looking for job, I now have my own job and I'm even training others.'

Dupe's case is one example of the efforts of the current administration in Lagos State to drastically reduce the spate of unemployment through helping Lagos residents acquire meaningful skills. The lady said she would always remain grateful to the state government under Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola for giving people like her a new hope.[/b]

'I am not the usual, common hair dresser; I am an educated businesswoman and I'm proud of what I do. I've been able to open two more salons in notable areas of the metropolis and because I'm learned, my clientele includes the young and upwardly mobile ladies. What this government has done is to empower a brand new generation of future entrepreneurs. The programme is free of charge and you can benefit irrespective of where you come from or which party you support

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/50348/1/in-lagos-skill-acquisition-centres-help-depopulate.html
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Solozzo(m): 11:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
Cheap talk from the good governor. We should be hearing how he is going to revamp the 6 -3-3-4 system of education rather than encouraging parents to force their children to waste their their time in wayside carpenter's sheds. He needs to support standard companies or shops to awArd contracts and grants to enable students to use those places as part of the 6-3-3 education scheme.

We need to review why the 6-3-3-4 education program failed and resuscitate it.

Forcing your child to roadside vocation centers is a recipe for failure in life.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by tpia5: 11:46pm On Jul 01, 2011
I'm sure you think you sound learned.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 11:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
tpia@:

lmao
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by jason123: 11:54pm On Jul 01, 2011
Solozzo:

Cheap talk from the good governor. We should be hearing how he is going to revamp the 6 -3-3-4 system of education rather than encouraging parents to force their children to waste their their time in wayside carpenter's sheds. He needs to support standard companies or shops to awArd contracts and grants to enable students to use those places as part of the 6-3-3 education scheme.

We need to review why the 6-3-3-4 education program failed and resuscitate it.

Forcing your child to roadside vocation centers is a recipe for failure in life.

How does this affect a state governor
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by kulutempa: 11:55pm On Jul 01, 2011
This is quite interesting coming from a Nigerian leader.   One big problem we have always had in Nigeria is our obsession with paper qualifications and our disdain for handymen and artisans.  That is why you would have a man in Nigeria with a Phd in swimming without having been inside a swimming pool.  Once you push him  inside the water you suddenly realise that everything he has learnt is useless: he cannot  apply his knowledge to real life situations.  That is also why you have so many educated illiterates in Nigeria who lack critical thinking skills and just go with the flow as long as they have their 3 square meals a day.   This is the key failing of our educational system and until it is addressed we will just continue to plod along and deceive ourselves.    A builder and a carpenter can make much more impact on our  country's development than 10 Phds in  Quantum Physics or Political Science, and we need to start focusing more on practical skills and applied knowledge and less on academic theories that have no place in real life.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Ikeobinna(m): 12:21am On Jul 02, 2011
Cheap publicity, when did carpenters start fixing plug,
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by jensinmi(m): 12:25am On Jul 02, 2011
I agree with the folks here who are emphasizing the importance of vocational training.

A friend of mine just got a student visa to the U.S.A for an MBA program.

First thing I asked her is - do you know how to braid and weave hair??

As a student here in America, don't expect to have any ready employment coming your way, I told her.

But if you are able to braid and weave hair well, you can make as much as $18 to $25/ hour making hair from the comfort of your own home when you are not in class. There are many professionals with big degrees in America who are not even making that much.

It is beneficial in life for one to have a skill of some sort.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Sagamite(m): 12:29am On Jul 02, 2011
EzeUche:

That is a lie. He just have a good publicity team.

You have quiet workers like Amaechi and Sullivan Chime.

While Okorocha is transforming Imo state.

Okorocha is transforming Imo State?

You know that under one month of his tenure? [Shakes head]
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by aljharem3: 12:36am On Jul 02, 2011
Sagamite:

Okorocha is transforming Imo State?

You know that under one month of his tenure? [Shakes head]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Gbawe: 8:26am On Jul 02, 2011
tpia@:

Don't mind him. I can't believe how some people think they sound erudite when they only appear ignorant to well-exposed folks. In advanced societies , fully trained and accredited tradesmen are actually as well paid , if not better paid, than core professionals. That is how it should be . Pay must always be commensurate to effort , energy expended and the importance of the work done. While we are happy to look down on plumbers and Carpenters in Nigeria in preference for contending, as this poster does, that "forcing your child to roadside vocation centers is a recipe for failure in life", the "brain" societies we all love to relocate to (yet prefer to learn nothing from) have concluded long ago that every job is important (especially those pertaining to manual skills) in the quest to run and maintain society !!!

Acquiring manual and technical skills allied with a culture of mantaining our own space is always a good thing as it limits your dependence on others. You will see a Nigeria family wth 6 adult male members yet their house is an eyesore!!! They all wear shirt and tie all day while waiting for the miraculous day when they will have the money to pay "lowly painters" to do what a "decent person" is "far above"doing. Shior. The rancid State of our nation , due to zero interest in self-maintenance of our own environment, is what we have to show for our arrogant mindset. So many graduates yet never enough young Nigerians trained , with real skills, to think practically and critically in way that may be immediatly far more beneficial to Nigeria than the offerings from the thousands of poorly skilled and barely employable graduates we produce yearly . Fashola is right to subtly emphasize , with personal example, the need for the acquisition of useful skill.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by unknown247: 8:29am On Jul 02, 2011
Big lies from Fashol or  may be he sent his son to learn carpenter work in London or Japan not in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by ektbear: 8:34am On Jul 02, 2011
Someone mentioned the German model of technical education. I think they nailed it 100% on the head. Not everyone needs to go to university. There is nothing wrong with technical education.

Imo, the mistake that we have made in Nigeria (and in the US as well, truth be told) is thinking that by force everyone should go to college.

It isn't an efficient use of public resources. Funnel more people into quality technical education and then you'll churn out less half-baked college grads.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Sagamite(m): 8:40am On Jul 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

Someone mentioned the German model of technical education. I think they nailed it 100% on the head. Not everyone needs to go to university. There is nothing wrong with technical education.

Imo, the mistake that we have made in Nigeria (and in the US as well, truth be told) is thinking that by force everyone should go to college.

It isn't an efficient use of public resources. Funnel more people into quality technical education and then you'll churn out less half-baked college grads.

I agree with you, but to successfully and efficiently operate such a model, you will need to eliminate the elitism in the educational system.

Elitism such as the institution you go to could relegate you to 2nd class citizen or even third.

I think this is one of the reasons you don't have massive disparities between German unis.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Gbawe: 9:50am On Jul 02, 2011
Sagamite:

I agree with you, but to successfully and efficiently operate such a model, you will need to eliminate the elitism in the educational system.

Elitism such as the institution you go to could relegate you to 2nd class citizen or even third.

I think this is one of the reasons you don't have massive disparities between German unis.

Top drawer yarn !!!! As long as Nigerians continue to think certain professions are for "rascals" and "lowly people" we ain't going nowhere. Nothing signifies this better than our ugly landscape. Folks cannot even take responsibility for learning skills , in a very poor nation, that helps them beautify and maintain their own environment. We forget that , minimally, a beautiful environment stimulates productivity , clear thinking and innovation. Tragic. The triumph of emptiness, puffed-up arrogance and vacuousness over substance is very obvious in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by kulutempa: 10:33am On Jul 02, 2011
Sagamite:

You have got a point, but I think the problem can easily be overcome in Nigeria by a system of incentives. The government can provide bursaries and subsidised training for those that attend the technical/vocational schools and guarantee their business start up loans. Once the grammar blowing, unemployed and unproductive English and History Phds see these so called tradesmen driving fancy cars and building nice houses attitudes will change. It's all a matter of time.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 02, 2011
I wish i had learn something too,i would have been my own boss now  cry cry cry cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nominate Your Preferred Candidate For 2015 Presidential Election . / Boko Haram Bombs Lake Chad, Kills 37 / Anxiety Over Buhari’s Failure To Name Cabinet Three Weeks After Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.