Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out (24559 Views)

My Marlians Cult Daughter Doesn't Wear Pant To School - Mother Cries Out / Eunice Favour Bags PhD In Pharmacognosy In Finland, The First Nigerian / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by lalasticlala(m): 7:36am On Mar 17, 2022
Finnish-Senegalese journalist and writer, Ndéla Faye, has decried racism in schools in Finland.

Everyday racism in Finland’s (world-class?) early childhood education, a thread:

My child came home and told me they play an old board game, the Star of Africa, at daycare. For those who don’t know, it’s a game from the 50s, and the point is to travel around Africa, mining for gemstones and looking for a big diamond; the Star of Africa.

If you get stuck at Slave Coast, you become a slave and have to stay there for 3 rounds. To most people, it’s obvious why this game is…problematic & not suitable for daycares or for 4yos — but to a lot of Finns, it’s an important part of “cultural heritage”, apparently.

When I went to collect my kid from nursery, I asked one of the carers what the deal was with the game. She immediately started to defend the game, calling it “interesting”, “an important part of Finnish cultural heritage”, and “educational”.

I’m really curious to know what kind of education they are drawing from this game, and how this fits into the early years’ curriculum. Apart from games on slavery and colonialism, are they also playing these ‘educational board games’ with 4yos about the Finnish civil war, or WW2?

She then told me it’s very difficult these days because some people get offended by everything. At this point, she referred to a chocolate that, until 2001, had the n-word in its name. She said the n-word, out loud - and in full - in front of me and my child.

She also said that even a liquorice had had to change its logo (see pic) because some people were offended.

I told her saying the n-word was completely unacceptable. She apologised - and then said: “well what terms are we supposed to use? ‘Dark-skinned’?

This whole conversation also happened in front of my child. I had hoped to prolong them having to hear the n-word - in any context - for a little longer than this, at least - but it happened and I can’t change that now.

But this isn’t about what one carer said, or me or my child. It’s about what this whole thing says about the level of understanding, and of the antiracism education that the city of Helsinki gives to all nursery teachers and carers, apparently.

It’s about the fact that Finland is #1 when it comes to being racist towards people of African heritage (closely followed by Luxembourg, then Ireland…)

It’s about the fact that a fifth of under 7-year old children in Finland have experienced racism in daycare.

It’s about what is still considered normal and acceptable in Finland. This is about more than ignorance. There is an active resistance to changing outdated and racist ideas and practices.

https://twitter.com/NdelaFaye/status/1504028099607941121?t=tpugNjGCgs81fRZWvJArEw&s=08

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Anieke77(m): 7:40am On Mar 17, 2022
Come back to Africa

159 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by internationalman(m): 7:48am On Mar 17, 2022
If we were cursed and said all sorts of derogatory things to in Nigeria but have everything to live a quality life, who would care...

Black people complains alot..

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by DannyXpress: 7:51am On Mar 17, 2022
It's better we stop complaining about racism because humans will always find something that differentiates them with others.

We were created to be equal but the truth is we can never be equal.
That's the reality of the world we live in

130 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Ammishaddai: 7:54am On Mar 17, 2022
People get easily offended these days by even using the wrong pronoun. And I see no reason why you shouldn't just respect yourself and come back to your continent

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by planetE(m): 8:04am On Mar 17, 2022
Nothing can actually stop racism

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by dettolgel: 8:04am On Mar 17, 2022
Instead of Africans to pursue self development they are busy getting distracted by word.

The idea of dwelling on this so called wokeness is an idea developed to distract the black Americans from focusing on the real issue and it is shame that Africans instead of asking the real questions and doing the heavy lifting required to emancipate themselves from poor governance and backwardness they are busy chasing shadow.

Can someone ask the lady if her Muslim brothers allow their fellow Christian brothers to marry their daughters?

Most families will stay take the piss on their wards choice of partner because of tribal differences. When are we going to fix the rot in our homes?

Like the teacher rightly said it is Finnish culture if the lady does not like it she can take her child elsewhere. Imagine the hatred this woman is trying to put into the mind of a 4 years old. Poor child. Children are not born with hate or bigotry they are taught by parents like this lady.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Kennytheanalyst: 8:04am On Mar 17, 2022
Well racism is an endemic disease. It can’t be cured

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Lalami3232(m): 8:04am On Mar 17, 2022
When some of these Africans wey go abroad dey complain of racism, I go just dey smile. Una no know where una come from? If you think say the white man's land dey bad, come back home and see wetin we dey go through for here. We no get light, fuel, high inflation but still we no dey complain because we know say no hope in sight. All we dey do na to fight ourselves via tribe and religion. Igbos go fight yorubas, the Hausas go fight Igbos and the circle continues. Even with the hardship wey we dey pass through for here, nobody is saying anything meaningful about it, rather dem want make their political parties wey dem dey support enter power, not minding their suffering. The average 9ja guy is ready to suffer another 8yrs provided he party na win 2023 election. Mumu pipo!!! See dem everyday fighting over which old crim*inal go be the next president, knowing fully well say those thieves no get anything tangible to offer. Madam, manage wetin you see for there ooo because majority of us dey envy that situation wey you dey complain about.

I don talk am before and I go talk am again, "if you sell your vote for 2023 because of political affiliation or because of salt and rice, na 2031 na your suffering go end"

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by updatechange(m): 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
Everywhere
Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by stunnert(m): 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
Well she can relocate to naija, here we don't care about skin colour

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by nkemoma(m): 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
Racism is a worldwide thing

Worst is the tribalism displayed by Afonjas and AwusaFoolanis.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Romanoff(f): 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
Hmmn.

Someone I know who did masters and PhD in Finland said their ladies will dig you and will throw themselves at you in private but when y'all are in public, she'd treat you worse than shit.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Lovenorth: 8:05am On Mar 17, 2022
Some miserable people will definitely go to Ukraine to help their army against Russia only to be rejected based on their race grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by nkemoma(m): 8:06am On Mar 17, 2022
Black calls black nigga and we hug

White calls black nigga... Boom!!!!! World war

Make una rest

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by NaijaFutbol: 8:07am On Mar 17, 2022
Ok
Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Aderewah: 8:07am On Mar 17, 2022
Ibo are as tribalistic as the Finland people are racist

9 Likes

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by updatechange(m): 8:07am On Mar 17, 2022
They are still coming back to beg Africans to admit and accept them in after they must have finished destroying their own countries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by oluwaseyi0: 8:09am On Mar 17, 2022
Wrong education like this is what makes most of this whites always think Africa is one single country and it contains only bush and animal without iota of civilization

This is the very basis of racism indoctrination

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by alphaconde(m): 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
this sort of racist lifestyle is the part 2 of slave trade.

but why did our creator allow all these sort of terrible things happen to we black people

slave trade
corrupt leaders
backwardness
suffering
poverty

what is really Gods plan for black people?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Realists(m): 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
updatechange:
They are still coming back to beg Africans to admit and accept them in after they must have finished destroying their own countries.

Where are the pray for Ukraine?, See your life.
Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Skillsnigeria: 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
Hmmm
Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by GoldenisSilence: 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
The way we used to play police and thief.. Or catch am where one child will have to pursue others and touch them to be free.. And when u are touched u become the chaser.. That same way white kids or schools in eu play the same game only that the catcher is referred to as Blackman..

And at the end of the day if u are the black man other kids will laugh and make mockery of u..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Mystic969: 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
Too sensitive...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out by Godwin25king: 8:10am On Mar 17, 2022
Many Africans, especially the ones in the US use the N word to address each other, but when the white mention the word they term it racist.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FUTMINNA Graduating Student Dies On His Way To His Convocation / Lagos Teacher Removed My Nephew's Tooth & Threatened Him. Help! (Photos) / Jeffrey Jude, Babawale Oludare Emmanuel, Roy-Layinde Bosun, UNILAG Best Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.