Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? (4736 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. / 20-yr-old Osarieme Omonuwa Bags First-Class In Reading University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 6:21pm On Jul 01, 2011
Please I am just curious.
Report has it that Francis Chukwu in 2007 was the '3rd' Nigerian to achieve the feat of making first class in the varsity and replicated same in the LAW school.
So, doesn't the foregoing bear witness to the fact that the possibility of making a first class in LAW (in Nigeria) is infinitesimal?
http://www.law.nyu.edu/llmjsd/llmscholars/vanderbiltscholars/index.htm
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Mynd44: 6:39pm On Jul 01, 2011
3 people have done it already so you can also do it.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by iice(f): 6:42pm On Jul 01, 2011
Are you ok?
Must all your educational threads be in this romance section? angry

Moved
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by manmustwac(m): 6:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
No mind her was just about to yab her when i saw your post
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by iice(f): 2:18pm On Jul 02, 2011
So na woman? Figures
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2011
iice:

So na woman? Figures
What do you mean?
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Odunnu: 9:31pm On Jul 02, 2011
Whats your gender?
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by pepperoni(f): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
what exactly is happening here? *lost*
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by catso(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2011
pepperoni:

what exactly is happening here? *lost*

moderator, what is going on?
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by DaDoctor: 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2011
MANNERLESS IICE RANTING AS USUAL

IS THAT HOW TO CORRECT AN ERRING FELLOW

MODERATOR INDEED
tongue
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by iice(f): 3:54pm On Jul 04, 2011
What because i'm not bowing to you like your mandibles?
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by DaDoctor: 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
By being mannerless?
Please learn from my above post,
Correct a boda well not with harshness dear Moderator IICE
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by iice(f): 4:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
You have no idea why i reacted that way and you can take it as mannerless.  Doesn't faze me.  If you like call whatever, i no be faint woman wey go turn head.  Hope the chatterings in the wind are reaching movie scripts potential grin
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by DaDoctor: 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2011
Finally sha, I LOVE YOU smiley

But dont be stubborn o!!!!
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by madoba: 5:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
@ poster no offence meant but who cares about a first class in Law when the freaking profession doesn't pay you well after school.

Imagine working for N15,000 per month, N18,000 per month and even N25,000 per month as a Law graduate (some of my friends actually earn these amounts in law firms) after spending so much on acquiring the so called legal education. It makes me furious angry

They all have 2:2 but from what I hear/see of this not so noble profession the situation won't be any different or better for a first class material.

Da Doctor and iice what's up with you guys? Are you loving on each other or hating on each other? grin Just wondering this is the 2nd thread where you are both going at each other.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by chibaby5(f): 5:37pm On Jul 04, 2011
@Poster

I cud relate to what ur saying. Even here in the UK, Law is very demanding and you have to keep up to date with changes/new cases and all dat and dat makes it pretty difficult.
The fact that there's no wrong or right answer also makes it difficult as itz left to the Marker's discretion and mood too undecided
U need alot of skills combined and not just being intelligent for a successful law degree.
All this and loads more make it difficult, I suppose.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 9:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
madoba:

@ poster no offence meant but who cares about a first class in Law when the freaking profession doesn't pay you well after school.

Imagine working for N15,000 per month, N18,000 per month and even N25,000 per month as a Law graduate (some of my friends actually earn these amounts in law firms) after spending so much on acquiring the so called legal education. It makes me furious angry

They all have 2:2 but from what I hear/see of this not so noble profession the situation won't be any different or better for a first class material.

Da Doctor and iice what's up with you guys? Are you loving on each other or hating on each other? grin Just wondering this is the 2nd thread where you are both going at each other.
Okay, I can feel your pain. But it's somewhat fallacious to conclude that all Lawyers earn such pittance as you stated.
Outstanding ones in firms like Banwo and Ighodalo, Aluko and Oyebode etc, earn 70k and above apart from other dough you will be getting depending on how smart you are.
In other words, some earn comparatively 120 to 250k monthly. It varies.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 04, 2011
Serendipity:

Okay, I can feel your pain. But it's somewhat fallacious to conclude that all Lawyers earn such pittance as you stated.
Outstanding ones in firms like Banwo and Ighodalo, Aluko and Oyebode etc, earn 70k and above apart from other dough you will be getting depending on how smart you are.
In other words, some earn comparatively 120 to 250k monthly. It varies.

That is still way too low. Supply is more than the demand in Nigeria, that might be the reason for the low wage.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Nobody: 4:01am On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerian academic requirements are non academically mind boggling!!

Many students here said they couldn't pass jamb yet passed SAT to study in best American universities,

It doesn't mean our academic stand is better than theirs still, It is due to difficulty that students have to find another way to pass,

Projects that practically test student's skills in their academic fields are not available. Even the Nigerians here, many just want to be degree engineers with practical creativity to show for it,

The only field Nigerians are practically creative is medicine!!!!

I think Nigerian universities have trained many of the world best medical practitioners because I have met so many Nigerian Docs and God knows I admire them!! Mom is a cardiologist and whenever I see her I'm thinking wow; and you were trained in Nigeria? Though I recently started seeing her, I think she has been addicted to her job as a cardiologist since she started!!!
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Natasha2(f): 8:17am On Jul 05, 2011
I will make a first class in Law cheesy
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by DaDoctor: 9:46am On Jul 05, 2011
@Madoba

IICE IS IN LOVE WITH DA DOCTOR.

A qualified doctor indeed,
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 9:49am On Jul 05, 2011
Natasha,,:

I will make a first class in Law cheesy
Nice to hear.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by madoba: 11:28am On Jul 05, 2011
Serendipity:

Okay, I can feel your pain. But it's somewhat fallacious to conclude that all Lawyers earn such pittance as you stated.[b]Outstanding ones in firms like Banwo and Ighodalo, Aluko and Oyebode etc, earn 70k and above apart from other dough you will be getting depending on how smart you are.[/b]In other words, some earn comparatively 120 to 250k monthly. It varies.

Serendipity

Please where on earth did I draw the conclusion in my post that all lawyers earn the figures I stated? Now that's a classic case of putting words into my mouth, or should I say a case of erroneously ascribing a statement to me which I didn't make.

I studied Law in Naija, and I've stayed in touch with more than half of my classmates from university and law school. Those figures I quoted is the reality of their lives and a good majority of them. I don't dispute the fact that some lawyers do earn 70k, 120k etc But on a scale of 1 to 50 how many actually earn these amounts?

Getting a job with one of the prestigious firms where decent wages are paid is tough. Most times you need to come highly recommended by someone well connected or be of a wealthy and popular family background. Now how many of us are that privileged?

What I know for a fact is that the ratio of Lawyers who earn a pittance, far outweighs the ratio that earn a decent wage of 70k, 120k in Naija.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 3:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
madoba:

Serendipity

Please where on earth did I draw the conclusion in my post that all lawyers earn the figures I stated? Now that's a classic case of putting words into my mouth, or should I say a case of erroneously ascribing a statement to me which I didn't make.

I studied Law in Naija, and I've stayed in touch with more than half of my classmates from university and law school. Those figures I quoted is the reality of their lives and a good majority of them. I don't dispute the fact that some lawyers do earn 70k, 120k etc But on a scale of 1 to 50 how many actually earn these amounts?

Getting a job with one of the prestigious firms where decent wages are paid is tough. Most times you need to come highly recommended by someone well connected or be of a wealthy and popular family background. Now how many of us are that privileged?

What I know for a fact is that the ratio of Lawyers who earn a pittance, far outweighs the ratio that earn a decent wage of 70k, 120k in Naija.
Thanks for now making it lucid and very decipherable.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by trustboy: 4:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
I need someone to help me here. I hold an Msc from a University in the UK. I recently applied and got admitted to study for an MA Law degree in the UK. This is a 2 year Qualifying Law degree which satisfies the requirements of the Solicitors Regulatory Authority in UK. In addition i would be studying all the core subjects required by the Nigerian Law School.
I sent an email to a Director of Administration at the Nigerian Law School and was told the program would not qualify me for admission because it is an MA and not LLB. Can someone please advise me on this. The Nigerian Law school website mentions the core subjects and a Qualifying Law degree but places no emphasis on the LLB.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Magamaga: 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2011
I dont believe that it is difficult to make first in both Uni and Law School. also your statistics may not be correct about the total number of students that have graduated with First in both ways. I made a first in both and i know that in my set, there were about three of us that made first in our universities too. Francis was even two year after my call,

It takes hard work, perseverance and hard work to see you through, grin
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 9:45pm On Jul 05, 2011
Magamaga:

I dont believe that it is difficult to make first in both Uni and Law School. also your statistics may not be correct about the total number of students that have graduated with First in both ways. I made a first in both and i know that in my set, there were about three of us that made first in our universities too. Francis was even two year after my call,

It takes hard work, perseverance and hard work to see you through, grin
But I hope you visited the site attached.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 06, 2011
It's a general thing then? cos in my school -university of jos- the most recent first class awarded by the faculty of law was in 1985, the faculty having been compelled by a court order to grant the honour cheesy. The recipient, C. J. Dakkas, is now a profesor in the same faculty and once was attorney general of plateau state. Legend has it that he graduated from the faculty 'saddled' wit a 2/1 and was greatly dissatisfied, but the bad guy proceeded to bag a first class at the law school, and inspired by God-knows-what, dragged the faculty to court thereafter. I ain't sure how true this is and would rather not be quoted grin.
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by Serendipity: 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2011
amazyn:

It's a general thing then? cos in my school -university of jos- the most recent first class awarded by the faculty of law was in 1985, the faculty having been compelled by a court order to grant the honour cheesy. The recipient, C. J. Dakkas, is now a profesor in the same faculty and once was attorney general of plateau state. Legend has it that he graduated from the faculty 'saddled' wit a 2/1 and was greatly dissatisfied, but the bad guy proceeded to bag a first class at the law school, and inspired by God-knows-what, dragged the faculty to court thereafter. I ain't sure how true this is and would rather not be quoted grin.
Fabulous
Re: Isn't It Impossible To Make A First Class In Law? by 4once2: 1:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
Manu Anthonious Sedoo recently made a First Class in the Faculty of Law, Benue State University and achieved same at the Law school. He graduated from BSU in 2009. What the heck?

(1) (Reply)

The Full Story Of The Five UNILAG Students Involved In An Accident / JAMB 2014 - No 2nd Choice Tertiary Institution For Candidates / Shepherdhill Baptist Girls High School,obanikoro,lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.