Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos (28268 Views)

Picture Of Mercy Johnson With Sanwo-Olu At APC Women Rally In Lagos / Edward Adamu With Sanwo-olu At Harvard School / Tinubu Laughing Warmly With Ambode And Sanwo-Olu At APC Convention (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by thinkmoney(m): 2:14am On Mar 24, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

You the younger generation don't
know or read up on simple Nigerian history. Stop posting false info
here!

To be clear, it is Lagos Island that was the administrative capital of Nigeria from 1914 to 1991 for 77 years.

Lagos State was NOT the capital
of Nigeria.

General Yakubu Gowon created 12 states for the indigenes on May 27, 1967! Lagos State was created exclusively for the indigenes in 1967.

Unknown to you and some others, over 90% of the land in Lagos State of today was carved out of the Old Western Region led by Chief Obafemi Awolowo, GCFR, SAN of the Action Group Party which used cocoa and tax revenues, etc, to develop the infrastructure and industrial estates in areas such as Ikeja, Iganmu, Ikorodu, Epe, Ibeju-Lekki, Badagry, Ilupeju, Isolo, Ojo, Amuwo Odofin, etc. Only Lagos
Island was NOT under Awolowo's government.

Other states have Federal roads and buildings so Lagos State is not
the only one with
Federal infrastructure.

Your points are correct and mine too (are even more) correct. Its mischievous of you to have dismissed them.
I don't know your age so I won't be able to put you in a age group as you have ignorantly placed me.
Lagos state saw and attracted tremendous developments because of its role as the capital for a long time. The third mainland and Carter bridges that was built to connect lagos island and the mainland was one of the most daring and biggest project Nigeria government has ever undertaken. Arguably, no single project in lagos has ever come close.
It was also because of its position that it was made the main port city. This factor too contributed immensely to its development.
Another factor that placed lagos in a privileged position compared to other states was that all the embassies, liaison offices and most of the headquarters of big firms were situated in lagos.
All this factors sped up development in lagos. Lagos has from the 1900 been the special region of Nigeria. No single person influenced development in lagos in a relatively significant way, except maybe Lord Lugard.
Don't revisit history please. And eschew unproductive sentiments
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by AlphaTaikun: 10:48am On Mar 24, 2022
thinkmoney:

Your points are correct and mine too (are even more) correct. [s]Its mischievous of you to have dismissed them.[/s]
I don't know your age so I won't be able to put you in a age group as you have ignorantly placed me.
Lagos state saw and attracted tremendous developments because of its role as the capital for a long time. The third mainland and Carter bridges that was built to connect lagos island and the mainland was one of the most daring and biggest project Nigeria government has ever undertaken. Arguably, no single project in lagos has ever come close.
It was also because of its position that it was made the main port city. This factor too contributed immensely to its development.
Another factor that placed lagos in a privileged position compared to other states was that all the embassies, liaison offices and most of the headquarters of big firms were situated in lagos.
All this factors sped up development in lagos. Lagos has from the 1900 been the special region of Nigeria. No single person influenced development in lagos in a relatively significant way, except maybe Lord Lugard.
[s]Don't revisit history please. And eschew unproductive sentiments[/s]
@Thinkmoney,

First off, your first and last
paragraphs here are clearly contradictory and you SEEM to come off as not wanting to take constructive corrections when YOU are partially wrong. This is the main REASON why I initially figured you belonged to a younger age.

Decades back when many foreigners such as Ghanains, Americans, Jamaicans, Indians,
etc, lived and worked in Nigerian Primary Schools, High Schools
and public Universities (due to
the strong Nigerian currency and oil boom), I attended cosmopolitan schools in Nigeria where we were taught history in class! But as of today, history classes have stopped and the younger generation are
not motivated to read history
which is very important for taking
advantage of investment opportunities because history moves in cyclical patterns.

NOTE:
I also agreed with you that the
FG (with loans or multinational partnerships) built infrastructure in Lagos, but I also added in my post that the FG also built roads and other infrastructure in most States in Nigeria (e.g., the ongoing 2nd Niger Bridge linking Asaba with Onitsha).

You wrote in your first post that
I'm CORRECT, so why are you contradicting yourself here again.

If YOU observe carefully, I cancelled ONLY the part of your posts that needed to be constructively corrected (so as to educate everyone here).

I don't engage in sentiments or historical revisionism and this is
the reason why I had to give an accurate step-by-step historical perspective on the difference(s)
between Lagos Island (the former capital of Nigeria from 1914 for 77 years) and Lagos State was created in May 1967. I also have Lagos State (specifically Lagos Island) ancestral roots, so my FACTS are right!

I've been a veteran member of
Nland since 2005 (17 years ago) with an older account and you will never find me engaging in stupid propaganda here. It's unproductive.

Go back and read your original
post again. You will see that you spoke in "absolute terms" by saying that "Lagos State was the capital and the FG built it." But I corrected you by saying the administrative capital was Lagos Island, NOT Lagos State. I had no intent to emasculate you here.

Hope this helps.
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by AlphaTaikun: 11:06am On Mar 24, 2022
Loewe:
Eko oni baje...
O baje ti! smiley

Hopefully this move would be
to the benefit of Lagos State (as a major African Tech hub) and Nigeria as a whole. STEM and innovation are the keys needed to leapfrog into the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by thinkmoney(m): 5:15am On Mar 25, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

@Thinkmoney,

First off, your first and last
paragraphs here are clearly contradictory and you SEEM to come off as not wanting to take constructive corrections when YOU are partially wrong. This is the main REASON why I initially figured you belonged to a younger age.

Decades back when many foreigners such as Ghanains, Americans, Jamaicans, Indians,
etc, lived and worked in Nigerian Primary Schools, High Schools
and public Universities (due to
the strong Nigerian currency and oil boom), I attended cosmopolitan schools in Nigeria where we were taught history in class! But as of today, history classes have stopped and the younger generation are
not motivated to read history
which is very important for taking
advantage of investment opportunities because history moves in cyclical patterns.

NOTE:
I also agreed with you that the
FG (with loans or multinational partnerships) built infrastructure in Lagos, but I also added in my post that the FG also built roads and other infrastructure in most States in Nigeria (e.g., the ongoing 2nd Niger Bridge linking Asaba with Onitsha).

You wrote in your first post that
I'm CORRECT, so why are you contradicting yourself here again.

If YOU observe carefully, I cancelled ONLY the part of your posts that needed to be constructively corrected (so as to educate everyone here).

I don't engage in sentiments or historical revisionism and this is
the reason why I had to give an accurate step-by-step historical perspective on the difference(s)
between Lagos Island (the former capital of Nigeria from 1914 for 77 years) and Lagos State was created in May 1967. I also have Lagos State (specifically Lagos Island) ancestral roots, so my FACTS are right!

I've been a veteran member of
Nland since 2005 (17 years ago) with an older account and you will never find me engaging in stupid propaganda here. It's unproductive.

Go back and read your original
post again. You will see that you spoke in "absolute terms" by saying that "Lagos State was the capital and the FG built it." But I corrected you by saying the administrative capital was Lagos Island, NOT Lagos State. I had no intent to emasculate you here.

Hope this helps.

Ok...you write well.
The suggestion in my last paragraph was borne out of a suspicion that you wanted to argue to support a cause.
The point I was making in that my piece, is that lagos as always been lagos. The central attraction of the country because of points I stated. It has always been big and relatively prosperous.
Put in context, I never "absolutely" indicated that the whole of lagos was the federal capital. If you had asked anybody then were the capital was, the reply you most probably have gotten is lagos. Not lagos island or Marina.
To settle the issue of the generation I belong too. If you are well above forty, then your generation is like a step ahead of mine.
Have a satisfying weekend. I will look out for you here in the future. U have impressed me in a way.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by AlphaTaikun: 10:08am On Mar 25, 2022
thinkmoney:

Ok...you write well.
The suggestion in my last paragraph was borne out of a suspicion that you wanted to argue to support a cause.
The point I was making in that my piece, is that lagos as always been lagos. The central attraction of the country because of points I stated. It has always been big and relatively prosperous.
Put in context, I never "absolutely" indicated that the whole of lagos was the federal capital. If you had asked anybody then were the capital was, the reply you most probably have gotten is lagos. Not lagos island or Marina.
To settle the issue of the generation I belong too. If you are well above forty, then your generation is like a step ahead of mine.
Have a satisfying weekend. I will look out for you here in the future. U have impressed me in a way.
Non-verbal online communication is an art and requires great skill to avoid being misinterpreted.

This is why using emoticons helps to minimise these issues in online convos, just like face-to-face verbal convo reduces miscommunication because you can get to see the body language, facial cues, and hear the voice tones of the other person.

Just a quick one...

Eko or Eko Island (Lagos Island)
is called "Lagos" for short, just like Bonny Island is called "Bonny" for short.

This is the reason why a person
who is based in or lives in Ikeja, Magodo G.R.A, Ikorodu or Ibeju-Lekki would tell another person in Yoruba that s/he is going to Eko (i.e., Lagos Island or "Lagos" for short). To the newcomer or uninitiated who isn't familiar with Lagos State's history, s/he would say, "but Ikeja, Lekki, Epe, Ikorodu are in Lagos State, so why are you saying you are going to Eko (Lagos) again?" Lol.

The Yorubas have a CLEAR distinction between "Ipinle Eko" (Lagos State) and "Eko" (Lagos Island).

We're both on the same page
now.

Have a great weekend too. smiley

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by Enwhen(m): 8:42am On Mar 26, 2022
Nisiw365:
sifia pains. Leave yoruba with their lagos. Face your sad yeast

Everybody is now South-East ...

Seems the south east people are more reasonable than u people, so Baba Tinubu is the best choice from Southwest ?...Late PA Awolowo efforts on education wasted... Pls mark my monicker , Baba Tinubu will not contest the main presidential election ...Our next president is known , and it's so painful...even Baba Tinubu knows the next president...
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by Nisiw365: 8:47am On Mar 26, 2022
Enwhen:

Everybody is now South-East ...

Seems the south east people are more reasonable than u people, so Baba Tinubu is the best choice from Southwest ?...Late PA Awolowo efforts on education wasted... Pls mark my monicker , Baba Tinubu will not contest the main presidential election ...Our next president is known , and it's so painful...even Baba Tinubu knows the next president...
Ipobian in tears. meth addict

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by SaudanaofSokoto: 9:13am On Mar 26, 2022
obynzo:

You this child you want to ruin your life sleeping in DSS detention cell right. One more tribalistic inciteful message against any tribe and you will caught and asked by DSS to bring proof of how Yoruba speaking Agberos became IPOB and started burning things in EndSars. Again Lagos has never had anyyhing positive since 99 Lagos is riding on the fact that it was a former capital territory infact the golden years of Lagos was actually during
Jakande's regime.

Will you stop intimidating someone with your fathom DSS,or you think the Yorubas are not aware of the evil plan you all have for them.
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by SaudanaofSokoto: 9:17am On Mar 26, 2022
Golan007:

Shatap.

Do your worst.

Let Nairaland know your capabilities today.

Nonsense.

Oby, go back home.

My brother don't let that man to intimidate you,he is just trying to scare you out of your mention,all his threats are empty!

Mr

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 26, 2022
SaudanaofSokoto:

Will you stop intimidating someone with your fathom DSS,or you think the Yorubas are not aware of the evil plan you all have for them.

I have no evil plan for any tribe. i detest propagation of lies against any ethnic group or spread of hate and i will make sure that those spreading it in this forum are dealt with
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by omenkaLives(m): 1:14pm On Mar 26, 2022
LegendHero:

Eko baje ti

@the bolded, you are saying nonsense. Why can’t they invest in Kano if it’s just population that influence investment? Lagos is attractive for FDI because it has the Human Resources to drive those things and because it is investment friendly with a relatively peaceful environment.

Lagos has by far the highest number of tech startups in Africa so why shouldn’t Microsoft invest there?

About Asiwaju, if ya’ll can blame any bad thing about Lagos on him then why can’t we credit him for every good things??
Una really get time.

Sometimes I sit back and imagine what it would have looked like had Lagos belonged to those people.

Yorubas are a fantastic breed of people. A place and a people that allow all comers pursue their legitimate dreams of a better life.

God bless Lagos state and her people.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 2:56pm On Mar 26, 2022
[s]
omenkaLives:
Una really get time.

Sometimes I sit back and imagine what it would have looked like had Lagos belonged to those people.

Yorubas are a fantastic breed of people. A place and a people that allow all comers pursue their legitimate dreams of a better life.

[/s]
famzy till next year.
you no be Yoruba and can never be
Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by LegendHero(m): 1:14pm On Mar 28, 2022
omenkaLives:
Una really get time.

God bless you too bro.

God bless Benue State.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu At The Opening Of Microsoft's New Facility In Lagos by Enwhen(m): 10:55am On Mar 31, 2022
Nisiw365:
Ipobian in tears. meth addict

Mkpuru miri pple r giving u sleepless night...

U pple will not learn ...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anybody Found With Biafra Flag, Emblems Will Be Arrested – Abia CP / Patience Jonathan Must Tell Nigerians How She Built N10b Worth Hotel – CACOL / Dot Nation Shirt: We Did Not Arrest Senator Abaribe - DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.