Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,487 members, 7,958,477 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:11 PM

Purity Of The Heart - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Purity Of The Heart (152 Views)

The Purity Of Christ (you Need To Hear This!) / How Does One Attain Sexual Purity? / How I Embraced Sexual Purity And Chastity - My Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Purity Of The Heart by topshore(f): 12:46pm On Mar 22, 2022
Scripture Text: Mathew 5:8

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

The one of the things we learn from the beatitude is that Jesus is concerned with our heart and Him aim is to change the hearts of sinners just like you and me so that we can have access to the Father and His Kingdom in heaven.

The heart is what you are, in the secrecy of your thought and feeling, when nobody knows but God. . “Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7). From the heart are all the issues of life.

"What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart . . . For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a man” (Matthew 15:18–19).

“Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit . . . For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks” (Matthew 12:33–34).

Our heart is utterly crucial to Jesus. What we are in the deep, private recesses of our lives is what he cares about most. Jesus did not come into the world simply because we have some bad habits that need to be broken. He came into the world because we have such dirty hearts that need to be purified.

What Does it Mean To Be Pure In Heart?

1. Psalm 24:3–4:

"Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false,
and does not swear deceitfully."

David pointed out that a pure heart is a heart that has nothing to do with falsehood. It is painstakingly truthful and free from deceitfulness. A deceitful heart is when you will to do one thing but you are actually doing the opposite of what you will. Or you don't regard God's instructions in your heart but you are doing it just to fulfil all righteousness. That is impurity of heart. Purity of heart is to will one thing, namely, to “seek the face of the Lord”.

2. James 4:8:

"Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you men of double mind."

Men who need to purify their hearts are “men of double mind.” That is they are men that will two things not just one thing. The impurity of double-mindedness is explained in James.

So the double-minded man has his heart divided between the world and God, like a wife who has a husband and a boyfriend or a husband who has a wife and a girlfriend. Purity of heart, on the other hand, is to will one thing, namely, full and total allegiance to God.

3. Matthew 22:37:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart."

Jesus Christ also commanded us to love the Lord our God with ALL our heart, not with PART of your heart. Not with a double or divided heart. That would be impurity. Purity of heart is no deception, no double-mindedness, no divided allegiance.

Therefore, purity of heart is to will one thing, namely, God’s truth and God’s value in everything we do. The aim of the pure heart is to align itself with the truth of God and magnify the worth of God. If you want to be pure in heart, pursue God with utter single-mindedness. Purity of heart is to will that one thing.

What is it to see God?

1. First, to see God means to be admitted to His presence. To be admitted into God's presence is to ensure that God always welcomes us into His presence. However, no sinner can be admitted in God's presence.

2. Second, seeing God means being awestruck by His glory — by a direct experience of His holiness, just like Moses did.

3. Finally, seeing God means being comforted by His grace. Again and again the psalmists cry out to God that He not hide His face from them. For example in Psalm 27 (verses 7–9) David says, Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! . . . Hide not thy face from me.

Brethren, purity is a prerequisite for seeing God. The impure are neither granted admittance to His presence, nor are they awed by the glory of His holiness, nor are they comforted by His grace. Jesus’s point in Hebrews 12:14: “Strive for . . . the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.” In other words, blessed are the holy for they shall see God. There is a real purity and a real holiness which fits us to see the king of glory.

But “Who can say, ‘I have made my heart clean; I am pure from my sin?- Proverbs 20:9, And with the disciples: “Who then can be saved?” Jesus answer comes back just like it did to the disciples in Matthew 19:26 - “With men it is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” In other words, God creates a purity for us and in us so that we can pursue purity. Only by His grace through Jesus Christ that we can be made pure. We must seek God in prayer like David, “Create in me a clean heart, O God” (Psalm 51:10). Lastly, we must look to Christ “who gave himself for us . . . to purify for himself a people” (Titus 2:14).

In conclusion, No purity of the heart, no entry to God's Kingdom!

If you would like to give your life to Christ, just say this prayer:
"Lord Jesus, I come to You today, come into my life, take control of my life and change my world, in Your name I pray, amen".

Congratulations!!!

God bless you.

Peace!

Ref: https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/blessed-are-the-pure-in-heart

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Trinity Signifies? / Unconditional Love / Guiding Rules For Christian Men In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.