Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,282 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Kebbet Jerin (A Day In Hell). - Jekob Okpanachi. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Kebbet Jerin (A Day In Hell). - Jekob Okpanachi. (253 Views)

Corridor Of Hell: Guardians Of The Dead / Fredrick Nwabufo: Chimamanda Adichie Will Lead Women To ‘Hell’ / When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kebbet Jerin (A Day In Hell). - Jekob Okpanachi. by Jacobswazza(m): 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2022
PART ONE.

This might be labelled by those that love reading ponderous pages of books, the shortest narration ever. Get it that it is not a full autobiography of me, but a summary of how my name became to be heard everywhere in the world. With the same degree you would never forget your country, I will never forget this day of my life that changes everything. This writing is on the way to the great incident my life had ever encountered. The title of this narration is my full name 'Kebbet Jerin' the same full name of my father whom I had never seen, not even a picture of him, for the reason that, he died before the knowing to my mother that she had me in her womb, and his house was burnt to ashes with every of his belonging in it. When I was a little boy, I couldn't pronounce 'Kebbet' correctly, I used to say 'Ket' forgetting about the 'bbe', so I became to be called by everyone as 'Ket'.

My mother could be rated among women of intense beauty in the world history, and should even be ranked above Mary (The mother of Jesus), on the account that she was only said to be a virgin, and not looking sheen. My mother strength were her pointed nose, her overgrown hair that could reach her elbow, covering her mammalian gland when not tied, her brown skin, her shape, her height, and her melodious voice which I inherited. I was told by her that, all the men in her own youthful generation had wooed her, despite knowing she was in a relationship with my father, who was a poor orphan. My father was afraid of losing her, but she kept to her promises.

'Ket' she called me as she grinned 'Your father was very funny. I should tell you of everything as you are not young no more' she said to me while in a company of my grandmother too (My mother's mother).

It was December, and cold was ruling with a bigger crown, beside a fire was the best place of the season. So, My grandma, my mother, and I were beside the fire made by me when she told me what I am to tell you.

'He is sixteen already. Let him know of the tragic account' said my grandmother who leaned on her rod.

My mother sighed, I could see her eyes turned red with the little brightness of the flame. My mother had a black sweater on the night, with her black finery hair, she looked like a super hero whom she was.

'Originally, Ket' she started 'We are from a town called 'Adlaj' in Mudon. Your father, my own father, had there as their hometown, and that made there my own, and your own hometown too. But my mother here (pointing to my grandmother who leaned on her rod, looking elsewhere as if she wasn't hearing our conversation), has here as her own hometown. Bilksi and Mudon share a boundary, and it is our town here (Bijjo), and our hometown (Adlaj) that are the places involved in the boundary'

With great avidity, I was all ears to the story, rather history, for it was a real occurrence. I had a jug of water beside me, and I drank a little from it before staring at my beautiful mother, that I was seeing indistinctly due to the night.

'Ket' she called wiping tears off her face, although I didn't see no tears, but I realized she was weeping from the sound of her talk.

'Noliv, stop crying and go on' jumped in my grandmother.

I had nothing to say, other than staring in the dark, and with an open ears. If staring into the night could perforate it blackness, then the perforation of the night blackness would had been longer, for the reason that I stared long at it.

'Your father was an orphan, his parents were great traders, they both died in a lurid car accident (In their own car). The incident happened at the time he was just finishing his First school, which made him unable to attend a Second school, the same way we have no money to sponsor you to Second school'

At the time my mother was telling me the history, I was a First school certificate holder, graduated six (6) years ago, and there was no money to further my education. In our country (Great Republik of White Wall) our system of education was of two schools, First and Second school. In the First school, ten (10) years should be spent, which would qualify you to the Second school, where ten (10) years should be spent equally. That marks a twenty (20) years of diligent education. With my dream of schooling been dead, I went into music (Secular),which had been my fascination since childhood, and it became my inclination. Going to studios daily to find a green pasture in the future.

'Which made your father not to attend a Second school until his death. He took over the provision shop of his parents at a tender age of 12, and traded ultimately. I knew him when he was 18, and I was 14. At the time, I was already in my third year in the Second school' She looked at my grandmother, whom I looked at too, and saw that she was some wise dozing
'Mama you wish to sleep?'

'Don't worry, continue. I want to be here till the end of this account' returned the dozing old woman.

'Alright mother' My mother replied 'Ket my son. With great tenderness, I love your father, and he likewise reciprocated the love. My parent want him for me in similitude to how I wanted him for myself'

'But son!' She said, the palpitation of my heart became mightily fast, and hard when I heard the 'but'. I could see at the moment my mother's wet face, she raised her left hand and wiped her face, the tears was much that some of it splashed on my hand. I took my jug and sipped the water in it.

'Continue!' Uttered my grandmother. Even after my mother had continued, I was still hearing my grandmother in a low tone saying 'continue!' Shaking herself on her rod.

'There were many hindrances coming our way' she took a deep breath 'Gentlemen wouldn't allow me, my colleagues in school, older men, and even the King of our region, I turned all of them down, for the only person I would want to spend my life with was your father. I knew I was greatly good looking, but became astonished when girls in great declaration would admit I was the number one beauty of all of them. My beauty later put me into a fat feud with the ladies of our region, when the men began using me as a yardstick. Ladies began hearing things such as 'You are not Noliv, why are you forming? I could only kill myself for Noliv, not you.'

'Honestly mum, I wish I could have a pretty wife as you' I interrupted smiling in the dark, and I could hear the sound of her chuckle, and the word 'continue' from the old woman'

'Ket, a session was ended, and I came home' her voice was lower than earlier.

The motive of her voice been low was, sixteen long years ago (I referred it as long, because I saw myself so ultimately at sixteen), the session she said ended was then, and after she returned home, she was overwhelmed with blissfulness meeting her parents (Her late father, and the old woman that overused the word 'Continue') and her lover (My father) but things got intensely nasty, and she never went back to school no more. Although, she didn't mentioned the year of the incident, the joy she had meeting her love ones, and she didn't in her words mentioned 'I never went to school no more', they were all introduced honorable by me through mere logic, just to get you more in clarity, although they are true, and I would say they are synonymous to those she told me. Below are her words in exactitude.

'I came home, was happy to see everyone, happy to see Kebbet (Not my own Kebbet, she meant my father)' she took a deep breath, and started breathing normally once more. And for the old woman, you should know the word she was still abusing 'Ket, boys had started plotting evil against me. They placed a bet on who would have a taste of my womanhood first, a truthful fellow said it overtly later, that was after the deed was done. One day, your father and I had our rendezvous fixed at the spring, where we wished to swim in love together' At the moment, I had forgotten of my water, for the reason that we were at the climax of the tale 'We normally arrives solo, on my going, I saw two boys standing on the way, and fear came upon me, so, I tried to run, but I was caught with ease due to me being highly effeminate. Despite hearing my own scream, I could still hear their talks, saying my body was warm, soft, and comforting. I had countless punches on my carrier's back, but he said my punches were like foams, the comment got me more provoked, and hated them more. They took me not far from the road, and laid me down. One sat on me, I never stop crying, and screaming for help, he unzipped himself, while the other held me by the hands. Fortunately for me, I heard a loud collision, of a hard wood, and a skull, instantly, the raper fell on me, and my hands holder took to his heels. It was Kebbet that arrived, and hit the raper by the head. There was blood gushing out, and We left there for home immediately'

I took my jug that I remembered was in existence after kicking it unknowingly, the degree I held it handle was so strict that it could had bursted if it were to be a balloon. My grandmother had had her head on her knees, leaving on the ground her rod, the same manner the biblical Moses put to the floor his staff that turned to a serpent. It was quiet from my grandmother's that I stared at her, with extreme concentration, and finally, I heard what I wanted hearing, the word 'Continue' was still on reiteration, but was so low as not been said at all at the moment.

'We arrived at his home' she started 'He was restive, walking around the room aimlessly, while I sat on his bed'

'Honestly, I am not happy' Kebbet said hitting the wall.

'Thank you for saving me'

'I saved myself, not you' he said looking to the wall, and backing me 'Why would he want to take what is not his?'

'Kebbet, look at me' I said 'I knew he would obey me, he loved me more than anything the world had. He turned and faced me, he was surprised, or rather afraid seeing me in nudity'

'Noooliv' he called slowly, and with a low voice 'What are you doing?'

'Come to me. Come take what is yours' I said in my best tone, and with an open arm, that I knew was a place any man would want to be' she took another deep breath, and continued 'Skin highly flawless, physique looking nicely. The body of Noliv was the most treasured thing in Adlaj. So, he walked majestically to me, and we made great love. The first and the last we ever did. After the act, ten minutes had passed before the silence was broken'

'Sorry. Sorry to do this to you' your father said with sincerity, and looking elsewhere while we were still in the bed.

'What are you sorry for?' I asked looking at him 'That was what I wanted. I am all for you'

'I love you' was all he could say.

'Love you too. I noticed him to be sleeping some minutes later, and I closed my eyes too, soon, I slept off like him. We were awoke by a bang at the entrance door, and a loud voice that said 'This is his house'. The knocker knocked without stopping, your father stood up and went to the door. While in the bedroom, I heard a scream of his voice, and I could hear voices of numbers. I wore my cloth as quick as I could, and scampered to the door. I saw two boys of muscular nature holding him by his hands, and he was fighting for a release. No no leave him! I cried pitifully'

'Noliv! Noliv!!' He cried after seeing me.

'I had the plan of fighting them all, but one among them held me by my hands, and I could not release myself from his grip even if I was given a full day, and that made me noticed my own powerlessness. In my presence, he was taken away, with only a boxer on. It was an appalling moment, as he cried and I cried'

I could see the motioning of her hand, wiping tears off her ever young face. She became mute for a long while. Although, my grandmother never stop the saying of the word that even you (Reader) is now familiar with. I used the opportunity of my mother's muteness to conceived in my youthful mind, how my father may had looked in the time of that puzzling circumstance. As there was never a picture of him that I could see, I was told by my mother, and my grandmother that I was a replica of him. So, I always had a picture of him as averaged in height, chocolate in complexion, but, for his hairstyle, I had a slight difficulty in presuming any for him, on the account that I had dreadlocks on my head (Upcoming musician), finally, I settled on his head an Afro hairstyle. Earnestly, I tried to fathom all that were on his terrified mind the ugly day. Maybe he had called on his father, and mother's ghost for help, maybe his tears may had reached quarter of Alice's pool of tears. Of the boxer he was arrested with, I couldn't comprehend of its product or colour too, and I don't need to ask the silly question of sort, but I wore him white as it was my favourite boxer's colour. I looked to my mum's direction and called 'Mum!'

'Yes'

'Continue!' This time, it was not said by my grandmother, but by me.

She cleaned her tears with the edge of her dark coloured sweater, and resumed the narration 'With great rushed action, I had arrived to my father at home. I told him of the incident, and what it had yielded into. My father got dressed, and away we went for the King's palace. At there, we were told the victim had died' she put her left arm against her forehead and yawned 'Ket, in Adlaj, the penalty for murder was death. Execution by hanging. The law was signed and accepted by the residents, alongside setting the culprit's house ablaze, prior to his/her execution. Although, five years later, the Government of the Great Republik of White wall finally succeeded in abolishing the Adlaj law for a trial in the court of law before judgement is passed, unfortunately, it was of no benefit to us at the time it was abolished'

'How was it known that My dad was the murderer?' without thinking deep I asked 'Oh the runaway boy' I voiced out after a second of great thinking, and I emerged as the answerer of my own question.

My mother had the account she narrated weakened her, and we left for the room after she had told me how the damnation of my father became official, and that he was dated on when the execution would happen. His abode was set ablaze, and no pin could even be found in the ruined house, for the manner of the combustion was exceedingly.

My mother said about the day of the execution with tears in her eyes, she said words can't express the agony, anguish, and pang of the day, that the tears of all the well wishers were in profusion. Kebbet was hanged, with legs dangling from a great height of a tree, the sight was the most ill thing the world had ever seen.

My mother had no much talk of the moment, because, her eyes were seeing nought, and her ears were hearing nought as well, for the feeling of pain she felt on the ungracious day was of supremacy.

My grandfather (My mother's father) had no more authority on his own humble self seeing the boy he had taken some wise as a son been killed in such an ugly manner. So, he made his way to the point of the action with a great outcry, he took up a bolo that was resting on earth, and decapitated the executional. He was arrested, and hanged on the same day, and of the same tree with my father. His house was burnt some hours after his death, for the reason that, my grandmother (The woman that you knew for the word 'continue') and my mother were pitied to have their luggage away from the house. Although, they said, they were ready to die too, but, something was telling them that they still have a reason to live on. Had it been my mother was dead too, there would have be no me. After arriving at Bijjo, my mother gave all of herself to the Redeemer (Christ) and in great devotion she had ever served afterward.

That was the reason my poor blinded grandmother (Yes, she was blind right before time) and her daughter had come to settle in Bijjo (Her biological hometown, in Bilksi), the place I was told of everything I had wrote.

I woke up moody the next morning. My grandmother had called my mother severally, to come out for our usual morning devotion, but she didn't even reply a call of her name, talk more of attending the prayer session. We knew she was troubled for the history she told the previous night. I was out to the street (Lamp Studio) after granny and I did the morning devotion.

Ulti (Ultimate) had dropped an album overnight, and with great alacrity, the upcoming musicians of our region were happy to learn from his good singing. Ulti was all our role model, he had taken White-Wall to the musical map. In the studio we played the album titled 'Still a starter' all day long. He had spent over ten (10) years atop of White-Wall music industry, and one of the best in Africa, despite all his achievements, he was still hungry for more (Maybe, because he was still yet to win a Grammy) and he titled his 5th studio album 'Still a Starter'

My merriment on Still a starter was not to maximum, on the account that I had the pain of the kind of death of my father on my mind. A death of unexpectedness.

At about 7pm, I met my mom in the sitting room imbibing food.

'Evening mom'

'Ket, how was today?'

'Good mom'

I sat beside her, and never asked of what was wrong in the morning, for I didn't want her to reminisce the ugly past.

'Hope you ate all day' I asked.

'I fasted, just breaking it'

'Ok mom. Let me go take a shower'

If it was to be another day, I would had voiced out my disdainfulness towards fasting, but for the particular day, I held all sayings back in my mind.

To chase my dreams of becoming a big star, I decided to move to the Capital, like the rest of the recognized musicians. My mother was a genuine follower of Christ, but, she believed everyone has his/her own dream, so she was never an hindrance of my own dream.

THE END OF PART ONE.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Read This If You Love Real African Stories / What Most People Don’t Know About Africa! / Devil's Son Loves Me - Feather's Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.