Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,009 members, 7,849,068 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:10 PM

Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce (6472 Views)

My Sister Completed Her House Without Telling Any Of Us Including My Mum / Should I Divorce My Wife? / Should I divorce my wife for this? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 9:55am On Mar 23, 2022
simpleseyi:

His parents deserves everything he can afford. But, you deserve to know too. You really deserve to.

You see, in Nigeria, there is nothing like Education loans or government's subsidies, our parents sacrifice everything in order to give us the little they can. Some parents sell even their wrappers, blouses, trousers, e.t.c. to provide basic needs for their children. Several parents slave to give their children basic needs. This is why children are like retirement plans of Nigerian parents. So, please bear with him, but he needs to let you know. You and the children are his future, if he does not treat you well, then he is messing up his future. Secondly, a typical Nigerian man will not let his wife over-work, never ever, he will rather slave than let his wife over-work. You need to sit him down and talk, but divorce is the worst thing that can happen to any family. Please avoid it.

His parents deserve everything from her own sweat abi? Her parents don't deserve anything? Or didn't they sacrifice for her too?

Please don't condone bad behaviour and say "bear with him". The man is selfish and his parents can wait. It doesn't have to be while the wife is struggling to keep them afloat. That is a terrible betrayal.

5 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 9:58am On Mar 23, 2022
cococandy:
Go build your own in Haiti too. You’re a nurse practitioner you have the money.

Henceforth let him be the one to focus on providing for the kids.

Exactly! Let her reduce her contribution since he is using it to set up his own family.

If that woman divorces him, at least he has a mansion to go back to live in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:52am On Mar 25, 2022
Thanks for responding you all. I have never said he can't contribute but literally the whole 6 months the house was being built he was literally telling me at times how he was gonna wait some years before building..when in actuality it was already taking place. I feel like 60k was too much at the time given the amount of debt we are in. Plus with a special need child you have to save for the future he would always back out of any savings talk and say after this or that. I felt that showed his family back home is a priority. Not us

I never said he doesn't contribute he pays the mortgage but at times I did too and I paid alot of bills in the home. He didn't even want to help me to hire a babysitter cos of money cos frankly it was being sent abroad.

I don't really care about or fear him marrying someone else over there.i mean he would still have financial responsibility here by court order or he can take the kids and see how far.
Like a wife he she did that would be low for not telling her husband some would even divorce for that. I'm sorry I just feel vad that someone I struggled with to get to where we are would help outside our home first knowing all I have done.

His parents don't live in a hut. They have a nice 3 bedroom home already and they travel back and forth. All expenses paid they are not struggling. I just feel my kids needs and future should've been a bigger priority.

6 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:53am On Mar 25, 2022
Also a home there for us isn't something we would benefit from. We make no equity or interest in the home. We may visit oniy 1 week a year and having a special need child and traveling to any country especially without supports isn't a long term goal. I just don't understand why he couldn't be honest. 20k ok but 60

2 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:33am On Mar 25, 2022
ImaIma1:

His parents deserve everything from her own sweat abi? Her parents don't deserve anything? Or didn't they sacrifice for her too?

Please don't condone bad behaviour and say "bear with him". The man is selfish and his parents can wait. It doesn't have to be while the wife is struggling to keep them afloat. That is a terrible betrayal.

Deserving everything is not realistic.nthry get a few hundred every month and travel when they can.they have a modest home. The sleepless nights i have endured.working 2 jobs cos of our bills and yet parents need a mansion? While I suffer and do majority of the childcare..it is depressing.

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:35am On Mar 25, 2022
ImaIma1:

Exactly! Let her reduce her contribution since he is using it to set up his own family.

If that woman divorces him, at least he has a mansion to go back to live in Nigeria.

Well if that is.how you want to take it. Our family should be first that is how you avoid divorce. If I wanted to be petty, I could just show the money transfers and he would owe me in court half of that 60k.

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:36am On Mar 25, 2022
In my own culture in haiti and as. Christian. Two become one. It's not like I don't contribute.i have always done my own part and more than the typical wife would do.i thini I deserved that respect as I suffered working to make sure we were ok. My kids should have money in the bank before a house

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:
What is the need of saying that he came from a very poor background and you are not.. ....Is that information really necessary? If u were from a rich background, God knows u would not have taken out student loan....U would have been what they tagged "trust fund baby"

If your husband got two jobs, If he wasn't helping you, where did he say his money was going to that you believed without putting up a fight?... I find it hard to believe that he wasn't contributing anything at home with 2 jobs.....There are differences between not contributing at all and not contributing enough to your satisfaction...

You have the right to be upset that he didn't tell u about the building project... But he got his reasons for not telling you...Ask him why he did not tell you.... And he will give you his answers

Just so you know, that building in Nigeria belongs to both of you as well....When you travel back to Nigeria, u will find a decent place where U and your children can stay during Xmas holidays...It's not enough to divorce him... Someday, you will thank him for his foresight...

Ok so in a marriage it's permissible to hide things for months and even talk about it while knowing you are doing the opposite and your whole family know except your wife that hustled with you? In igbo culture a woman doing that would be almost put out.

3 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by KanwuliaExtra: 4:06am On Mar 25, 2022
Typical of African men.
All na part of Nigerian marriage abeg.
For better for WORST? Enjoy!✅

4 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 5:04am On Mar 25, 2022
lefemmechoclat:

Ok so in a marriage it's permissible to hide things for months and even talk about it while knowing you are doing the opposite and your whole family know except your wife that hustled with you? In igbo culture a woman doing that would be almost put out.

We can argue back and forth without coming into agreement embarassed....Let me try and explain for the last time...

What I said was... He should have told you. Both of you should have been on the same page on the project.... But again...., He knows the kind of woman he married... He knows that even in 20 years time, You will never approve...considering what you have been posting here...Anyone who can read between the lines will understand the reasons why you were not told,.... you will always have a reason why the building project should not be actualized and both of you will never be on the same page...

You keep on saying that that was his parent's house... No dear... It isn't... That was his house( your house).., His Parents were only using that house to boast of their son's success...It's not like in America where when u say a house belong to a parents, it was indeed/actually belongs to parents,,...The parent cannot do anything in that house without your husband's consent.

In Igbo culture, I believe Some husband will not put their wife off while embarking on such project because they share the same culture...Again it depends mainly on the woman too...If they share the same vision and mission...

Please do not take it to heart, What he did was cultural( building to sign in a signature of a little success in his home town)which unfortunately impacted you negatively, The building did not last forever right? he will start contributing the way u wanted it after the project...
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 8:03am On Mar 25, 2022
lefemmechoclat:

Well if that is.how you want to take it. Our family should be first that is how you avoid divorce. If I wanted to be petty, I could just show the money transfers and he would owe me in court half of that 60k.

Of course your family should come first. Building a house for his parents was not a life or death situation. It could have waited.

The children are his also, so allow him to take responsibility for them and stop using your own money. That will leave him with little cash to throw around in case he's trying build a house for his community too.

5 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 8:30am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

We can argue back and forth without coming into agreement embarassed....Let me try and explain for the last time...

What I said was... He should have told you. Both of you should have been on the same page on the project.... But again...., He knows the kind of woman he married... He knows that even in 20 years time, You will never approve...considering what you have been posting here...Anyone who can read between the lines will understand the reasons why you were not told,.... you will always have a reason why the building project should not be actualized and both of you will never be on the same page...

You keep on saying that that was his parent's house... No dear... It isn't... That was his house( your house).., His Parents were only using that house to boast of their son's success...It's not like in America where when u say a house belong to a parents, it was indeed/actually belongs to parents,,...The parent cannot do anything in that house without your husband's consent.

In Igbo culture, I believe Some husband will not put their wife off while embarking on such project because they share the same culture...Again it depends mainly on the woman too...If they share the same vision and mission...

Please do not take it to heart, What he did was cultural( building to sign in a signature of a little success in his home town)which unfortunately impacted you negatively, The building did not last forever right? he will start contributing the way u wanted it after the project...

But he should have waited till they were more stable before embarking on such a project, not while she was working extra to keep them up. He didn't have to build it on her sweat and not telling her. It was not a life or death situation. It could wait.

I can't help but think that you support the guy's actions from your comments. Like igbos are meant to build houses while neglecting their families. How is that a cultural thing? It's more of a showing off thing. So that his parents can have bragging rights.

About the house being "theirs"...you should know that as a typical igbo man, he will most likely marry a Nigerian wife (that's if he hasn't done that already). So which wife co-owns the house? Let's not act like we don't know what our people are capable of.

He is behaving like the typical deceptive Nigerian man that marries a foreigner in a foreign land for its benefits.

9 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 8:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

Ogbeni stop condoning bad Behaviour jare, haba some of you should fear God nau.

So you are saying it's cultural to build a mansion which you have stated is for show off in your words 'signature of a little success'.

Signature of success at the expense of your wife's sweat and blood haba.

You keep saying it's not for his parents, the woman has said it consistently its for his parents, even if it is their own personal family home which we all know can almost never be , he was waiving a lot of responsibility to his immediate family by building that house that alone is the betrayal.

How some of you can't see anything wrong in all these is baffling.

8 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Gloriagee(f): 9:20am On Mar 25, 2022
Say it as it is. Your user detection skills are on point....

ibechris:
U need to watch him...such a man can still come back to Nigeria and marry another woman behind u.

This man didn't try at all.

This is a text book example of being wicked and selfish at the same.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 9:26am On Mar 25, 2022
lefemmechoclat:

Deserving everything is not realistic.nthry get a few hundred every month and travel when they can.they have a modest home. The sleepless nights i have endured.working 2 jobs cos of our bills and yet parents need a mansion? While I suffer and do majority of the childcare..it is depressing.

Your concerns are valid, it's normal to feel that way. Sorry you had to got through this. I believe all will be well.

3 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 9:44am On Mar 25, 2022
NoToPile:

Ogbeni stop condoning bad Behaviour jare, haba some of you should fear God nau.

So you are saying it's cultural to build a mansion which you have stated is for show off in your words 'signature of a little success'.

Signature of success at the expense of your wife's sweat and blood haba.

You keep saying it's not for his parents, the woman has said it consistently its for his parents, even if it is their own personal family home which we all know can almost never be , he was waiving a lot of responsibility to his immediate family by building that house that alone is the betrayal.

How some of you can't see anything wrong in all these is baffling.

Actually, I do not know how to pretend... I will tell you here and now that I loved the fact that he build that house... in fact 100% in support of what he did..
What I do not like is the fact that she( wife) was not informed... When you said sweat and blood, what were you implying?

<<< The man in question got one job...He had a vision on what he wanted to do, He got another job making it two to actualize his plan...
<<< The student loan in question, they have an installment plan going on......
<<<The man in question was not letting his family starve because he was contributing as well for the family upkeep which the wife will never deny..
<<<What the woman in question wanted was to put away saving for the kids...That was her main bone of contention which the man did not see as a priority..

When you said he was living on her sweat, It made me feel like the man was not contributing anything for the family...He was just channeling all he got to the building project....

I'm glad he did something to actualize that goal which was getting two jobs and also making sure that his family did not go hungry...There are still plenty of time to save or put away money for the kids...

Based on what u were saying about the woman consistently saying it was his parent's home... ask any Igbo individual how that works...They will explain to you better...If that home was for the father or for the man...

This is my opinion though...It is safe to say we cannot agree in all thing because we all are Unique in our own ways...

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 10:00am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

Actually, I do not know how to pretend... I will tell you here and now that I loved the fact that he build that house... in fact 100% in support of what he did..
What I do not like is the fact that she( wife) was not informed... When you said sweat and blood, what were you implying?

<<< The man in question got one job...He had a vision on what he wanted to do, He got another job making it two to actualize his plan...
<<< The student loan in question, they have an installment plan going on......
<<<The man in question was not letting his family starve because he was contributing as well for the family upkeep which the wife will never deny..
<<<What the woman in question wanted was to put away saving for the kids...That was her main bone of contention which the man did not see as a priority..

When you said he was living on her sweat, It made me feel like the man was not contributing anything for the family...He was just channeling all he got to the building project....

I'm glad he did something to actualize that goal which was getting two jobs and also making sure that his family did not go hungry...There are still plenty of time to save or put away money for the kids...

Based on what u were saying about the woman consistently saying it was his parent's home... ask any Igbo individual how that works...They will explain to you better...If that home was for the father or for the man...

This is my opinion though...It is safe to say we cannot agree in all thing because we all are Unique in our own ways...

To answer your question of what I was implying the bolded below is what I was implying.

lefemmechoclat:

Deserving everything is not realistic.nthry get a few hundred every month and travel when they can.they have a modest home. The sleepless nights i have endured.working 2 jobs cos of our bills and yet parents need a mansion? While I suffer and do majority of the childcare..it is depressing

Off course your stance on the mansion issue was obvious, it's a status thing.

I know you don't see anything wrong in all this except that he should have told her now we don't have to agree everyone is entitled to their opinion after all He was just chanelling all he got to the building project while there were debts to pay.

For some of us that doesn't sound right, a mansion is not an emergency especially when they were quite comfortable.

Let's learn to call out bad behaviour abeg

lefemmechoclat:

I feel like 60k was too much at the time given the amount of debt we are in Plus with a special need child you have to save for the future he would always back out of any savings talk and say after this or that. I felt that showed his family back home is a priority.

I never said he doesn't contribute he pays the mortgage but at times I did too and I paid alot of bills in the home. He didn't even want to help me to hire a babysitter cos of money cos frankly it was being sent abroad.

6 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 10:03am On Mar 25, 2022
ImaIma1:

But he should have waited till they were more stable before embarking on such a project, not while she was working extra to keep them up. He didn't have to build it on her sweat and not telling her. It was not a life or death situation. It could wait.

I can't help but think that you support the guy's actions from your comments. Like igbos are meant to build houses while neglecting their families. How is that a cultural thing? It's more of a showing off thing. So that his parents can have bragging rights.

About the house being "theirs"...you should know that as a typical igbo man, he will most likely marry a Nigerian wife (that's if he hasn't done that already). So which wife co-owns the house? Let's not act like we don't know what our people are capable of.

He is behaving like the typical deceptive Nigerian man that marries a foreigner in a foreign land for its benefits.

You know that it is not really easy to work 2 jobs abroad....One is just about enough to drive one crazy... not to talk of making it 2...
He had a mission which was the reason why he got the extra job to level up...

Ask that OP very well... A man that was hiding where his money was going and working 2 jobs will not like to deny his family anything...So that the constant where is your money going argument will not surface....He did his best providing which made the OP kept quite without contesting or fighting him for not doing so...

OP's anger is justified because they should be working on the same page...That's where I faulted the man...She shouldn't have heard it from outside...But OP's priority was not the man's priority...She wants to save...Assuming he waited, how much accumulation of wealth/saving will be enough to satisfy her and for her to give her consent for the Husband to start building?

As for Igbo men....I have seen a lot of them that married whites, Jamaicans and other ethnic group over 20years.. some less than that... They were faithful and sticks to their spouse like glue..... A blanket approach to this situation is not the best way forward...As I suggested earlier, she should forgive him and let whatever that bites last night to be mosquitoes..

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 10:12am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

You know that it is not really easy to work 2 jobs abroad....One is just about enough to drive one crazy... not to talk of making it 2...
He had a mission which was the reason why he got the extra job to level up...

Ask that OP very well... The man hiding where his money ways going and working 2 jobs will not like to deny his family anything...So that the constant where is your money going argument will not surface....He did his best providing which made the OP kept quite without contesting or fighting him for not doing so...

OP's anger is justified because they should be working on the same page...That's where I faulted the man...She shouldn't have heard it from outside...But OP's priority was not the man's priority...She wants to save...Assuming he waited, how much accumulation of wealth/saving will be enough to satisfy her and for her to give her consent for the Husband to start build?

As for Igbo men....I have seen a lot of them that married whites, Jamaicans and other ethnic group over 20years.. some less than that... They were faithful and sticks to their spouse like glue..... A blanket approach to this situation is not the best way forward...As I suggested earlier, she should forgive him and let whatever that bites last night to be mosquitoes..

It's not a blanket approach. It's based on the many I have seen. In fact, one I know had a South African wife, a Chinese wife and still came back to marry a Nigerian wife in grand style.

That's why I said his MO is like that of the average deceptive types. Building a house is a whole big project not to tell your spouse. He didn't buy a car or a land. He built a whole house!

4 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 10:16am On Mar 25, 2022
NoToPile:

To answer your question of what I was implying the bolded below is what I was implying.

Off course your stance on the mansion issue was obvious, it's a status thing.

I know you don't see anything wrong in all this except that he should have told her now we don't have to agree everyone is entitled to their opinion after all He was just chanelling all he got to the building project while there were debts to pay.

For some of us that doesn't sound right.

Let's learn to call out bad behaviour abeg

lefemmechoclat:
In my own culture in haiti and as. Christian. Two become one. It's not like I don't contribute.i have always done my own part and more than the typical wife would do.i thini I deserved that respect as I suffered working to make sure we were ok. My kids should have money in the bank before a house

@ bold is the bone of contention...The genesis and Revelations of all these....The debt she was talking about was a student loan right?...
Paid by installment correct? deducted from the salary correct?...Sleepless night? We all do have one thing or the other to think about...It's not really new to have a sleepless night...
That man should be crucified if he was not contributing to the upkeep of the house, But if he was making a great effort plus the project and she sees it as not good enough, then I do not know what else to say... I stand by the man...with all my heart.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 10:22am On Mar 25, 2022
ImaIma1:

It's not a blanket approach. It's based on the many I have seen. In fact, one I know had a South African wife, a Chinese wife and still came back to marry a Nigerian wife in grand style.

That's why I said his MO is like that of the average deceptive types. Building a house is a whole big project not to tell your spouse. He didn't buy a car or a land. He build a whole house!

Did he want to marry the whole nation? grin grin grin
He should have told her... That's what I have been saying all through...That kind of news should be after love making...where she will not throw so much tantrums...in the morning, he will wake up early, serves her breakfast in bed and plead again for forgiveness and continue the project.. smiley
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 10:31am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

@ bold is the bone of contention...The genesis and Revelations of all these....The debt she was talking about was a student loan right?...
Paid by installment correct? deducted from the salary correct?...Sleepless night? We all do have one thing or the other to think about...It's not really new to have a sleepless night...
That man should be crucified if he was not contributing to the upkeep of the house, But if he was making a great effort plus the project and she sees it as not good enough, then I do not know what else to say... I stand by the man...with all my heart.

SMH @ first bolded. You still don't see or cannot feel from her posts that she was working extra just to pay bills to make more money to run the home, the man makes the money and instead relieving her a bit, it's a mansion a 60k dollar house?

Does her posts sound like he was making great effort, you saw the places I bolded.

2nd bolded Yeah right, before nko

And I stand by the woman with all my own heart too.

Let's hope you hold this stance if it was the other way round sha.

6 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2022
NoToPile:

SMH @ first bolded. You still don't see or cannot feel from her posts that she was working extra just to pay bills to make more money to run the home, the man makes the money and instead relieving her a bit, it's a mansion a 60k dollar house?

Does her posts sound like he was making great effort, you saw the places I bolded.

2nd bolded Yeah right, before nko

And I stand by the woman with all my own heart too.

Let's hope you hold this stance if it was the other way round sha.
@ Bold, That's why we are unique...The world would have been a boring place if we all agree on everything all the time. cheesy

Your last paragraph shows that you don't really know me that much... I don't play gender, ethnic or race card...I'm too old for that.

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 10:45am On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

@ Bold, That's why we are unique...The world would have been a boring place if we all agree on everything all the time. cheesy

Your last paragraph shows that you don't really know me that much .. I don't play gender, ethnic or race card...I'm too old for that.

Ohkayyy

Well I know you as the green font guy that's all grin grin
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Richy4(m): 11:21am On Mar 25, 2022
NoToPile:

Ohkayyy

Well I know you as the green font guy that's all grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley
Enjoy the rest of your day...cheers..
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by GboyegaD(m): 11:54am On Mar 25, 2022
simpleseyi:

His parents deserves everything he can afford. But, you deserve to know too. You really deserve to.

You see, in Nigeria, there is nothing like Education loans or government's subsidies, our parents sacrifice everything in order to give us the little they can. Some parents sell even their wrappers, blouses, trousers, e.t.c. to provide basic needs for their children. Several parents slave to give their children basic needs. This is why children are like retirement plans of Nigerian parents. So, please bear with him, but he needs to let you know. You and the children are his future, if he does not treat you well, then he is messing up his future. Secondly, a typical Nigerian man will not let his wife over-work, never ever, he will rather slave than let his wife over-work. You need to sit him down and talk, but divorce is the worst thing that can happen to any family. Please avoid it.

He should have married his parents. So the wife's parents didn't sacrifice all, right?

4 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ImaIma1(f): 12:11pm On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

Did he want to marry the whole nation? grin grin grin
He should have told her... That's what I have been saying all through...That kind of news should be after love making...where she will not throw so much tantrums...in the morning, he will wake up early, serves her breakfast in bed and plead again for forgiveness and continue the project.. smiley

Lol...he stayed in SA before he moved to China. He has passports of both countries. Still came back to marry here.

True it would have solved a lot if the man had told the op first. Sometimes it's really that easy. Now trust is lost. I'm pained on her behalf because I tried to put myself in her shoes to imagine how I would feel.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Acidosis(m): 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2022
He's just a typical Nigerian with zero money management skills. His parents already had a good house so most likely, the 60k house was built to impress his village people. The need to impress people will often be the priority. If you think that you're doing too much for the family, please cut down on your expense. If he has to pay loans for the rest of his life for making stup!d decisions, then so be it. The law over there is in your favour. Use it.

10 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by GboyegaD(m): 12:34pm On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

Are you supporting his wickedness? Did you read he was talking about the building in the future while he was already building it? Did you imagine the height of betrayal? Are you sure the kids want to move to Nigeria in the future?

3 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 1:23pm On Mar 25, 2022
GboyegaD:

Are you supporting his wickedness? Did you read he was talking about the building in the future while he was already building it? Did you imagine the height of betrayal? Are you sure the kids want to move to Nigeria in the future?

Thanks for understanding. I had no problem with him building in the future but for the past few years I have been literally working 9am to 5 for one job then 530p to 0345a on anoth3r job. Then I during that time I would still sometimes make time to cook during my breaks and lunches. I contributed alot to the house and because of my one child's special needs was advised to start a trust fund for him. When I found out about the house it was hurtful cos there were times I would beg him to put something in my kids savings and he would get angry saying their is time in the future for that. If you are told a child needs lifelong care what should be the priority?

Like on top of his parents getting a monthly stipend of almost 400 a month I always send them clothes shoes money etx. They are not going without. They have a home. And if most of their time once they get their citizenship they will he traveling I don't think it was the first thing that needed to he done. I would have never done that to him. When I asked for money to pay Down the debts even while working 2 jobs he wanted to put me on a payment plan. Until I begged becos all my money was going to creditors for debts we incurred on my credit.

When we first me and for the first few years of our marriage I was the main breadwinner. I helped pay the wedding, I signed for fornmy own wedding ring, he didn't pay on ring until I asked him to When it was almost paid off, I helped him get to where he is and now he makes more than me. But so after all this the first thing you do when you get a 2nd job is build a home while telling me it's gonna wait..everyone KNOWS except me. It's like damn what I have done or what I have sacrifice build a mansion. He isn't even remorseful he says if it would cause us to not have anything here so what. I didn't grow up struggling. My parents were stable. I don't remember seeing my mom working 2 jobs etx.i couldn't even cook decent meals for my kids cos I was working to help out.

I just can't seem to get over this cos to me if you can lie about that you can do anything to me. A wife the last one to know. It's been 2 years and I still feel I can't trust him. Maybe I just need to divorce him. He can go and marry someone who will work and be ok with him diverting money. We can share the kids. I can't do lying. I have worked so hard.

5 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by NoToPile: 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2022
Richy4:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley
Enjoy the rest of your day...cheers..

Cheerss
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by GboyegaD(m): 1:44pm On Mar 25, 2022
lefemmechoclat:

Thanks for understanding. I had no problem with him building in the future but for the past few years I have been literally working 9am to 5 for one job then 530p to 0345a on anoth3r job. Then I during that time I would still sometimes make time to cook during my breaks and lunches. I contributed alot to the house and because of my one child's special needs was advised to start a trust fund for him. When I found out about the house it was hurtful cos there were times I would beg him to put something in my kids savings and he would get angry saying their is time in the future for that. If you are told a child needs lifelong care what should be the priority?

Like on top of his parents getting a monthly stipend of almost 400 a month I always send them clothes shoes money etx. They are not going without. They have a home. And if most of their time once they get their citizenship they will he traveling I don't think it was the first thing that needed to he done. I would have never done that to him. When I asked for money to pay Down the debts even while working 2 jobs he wanted to put me on a payment plan. Until I begged becos all my money was going to creditors for debts we incurred on my credit.

When we first me and for the first few years of our marriage I was the main breadwinner. I helped pay the wedding, I signed for fornmy own wedding ring, he didn't pay on ring until I asked him to When it was almost paid off, I helped him get to where he is and now he makes more than me. But so after all this the first thing you do when you get a 2nd job is build a home while telling me it's gonna wait..everyone KNOWS except me. It's like damn what I have done or what I have sacrifice build a mansion. He isn't even remorseful he says if it would cause us to not have anything here so what. I didn't grow up struggling. My parents were stable. I don't remember seeing my mom working 2 jobs etx.i couldn't even cook decent meals for my kids cos I was working to help out.

I just can't seem to get over this cos to me if you can lie about that you can do anything to me. A wife the last one to know. It's been 2 years and I still feel I can't trust him. Maybe I just need to divorce him. He can go and marry someone who will work and be ok with him diverting money. We can share the kids. I can't do lying. I have worked so hard.

I understand your plight and the betrayal is one that hurts. I wouldn't suggest/advice divorce since it's been two years and you guys are still coping along.

Have you brought up your pains to him to discuss how you feel about the event? How open has he been after the incident? What type of friends does he keep? Have you both tried seeking both therapy and counseling?

Discussing this on here, does it make you feel relief? If yes, then keep pouring out your pain perhaps, in the diary section since no one can comment on it. If that makes you feel lighter then surely, it is a phase that with some little adjustments, things will come back to normal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

We Just Met $ She's Talking About Marriage / Whats Your Fear? Share Them / Christian Couple Spread The Word Via Wife Swapping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.