Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,049 members, 7,849,246 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:05 PM

Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce (6473 Views)

My Sister Completed Her House Without Telling Any Of Us Including My Mum / Should I Divorce My Wife? / Should I divorce my wife for this? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by GboyegaD(m): 6:15am On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
I kniw but he did win. What is a child support? Max 3k a month? He got citizenship off me, a 6ok mansion ,helped his parents because i helped get him there. I have lost. I could have remained singleand he could habe gone on and married a Nigerian who wont have to guess what he is saying is the truth or not.
Now im stick with 4 kids and he can just go on. All cus i was used as a stepping stone. Im going for everythingi can.

I would suggest you choose not to see it that way. He might not have thought about it that way and he was only following what he thought was the way to go. The very reason why I'm suggesting counseling so that you can let out your pain and begin to find way to free and ease your pains and begin to find ways to trust him again.

Don't feed that thought that he used you. Before you came here, that wasn't your thought thus, don't let the things you read on here make you feel used because many supported his ideas. Truth is they don't know your pains, they wouldn't share your pains, and neither would they understand the plights of your children.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ifiokjohn(m): 8:11am On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
I understand john. But fore apology is nothing if trust isnt there. I habe worked to the bone for his family to benefit..where is my benefit?ibak overworked. If i told my family harsh words would be said..i think if he wanted to reture there spend moeny on my sweat there he shouldve married a nigerian and not used me as a step stone
I know it's hard for trust to be rebuild but if both of you work towards it...it's can work.
Have seen a woman forgive her husband who cheated on her and broke her trust. But in the long run, she chooses to work on her marriage, forgive her husband and today they're very happy. That trust has been rebuilt.

Your husband has a fault. He cheated on you by not telling you he was building a house. You're his partner in everything and he cheated by lying. Buts it's been two years( I guess he has apologize) now is the time to let it all go. Build a happy home again. You can if you both work on it.
Ask him if he's willing to help in building that home. Let him promise openness this time around..taking you in all his plans weather present or future. .and that you will put as much work on it as he will. NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. let him know you doing this for your children and for the Love you had/have for him and cause you believe children grow better in a stable home.

Let him know you want to be in all major decision making.. from the money he is sending home to his parents or cousins...if you want him to stop sending money to his cousins except on dire situation then you can agree for him to send.

Marriage is all about understanding, communication, Tolerance and Trust.
I put tolerance there cause your partner will push you to your limit but your ability to Tolerate, smile and push forward helps keeps your marriage. It's both ways by the way.

Then Trust, yes marriage can not exist without trust but even trust can be built after it has been shattered. Though it will take awhile but you both are willing to work on it and from now on be straightforward with each other you can save this marriage and build a better future for yourself(Unity)

Advice him on business plans like the Real Estate and how you guys can setup in the USA.
It's possible. Make him understand it.
You guys can build a more secured future for your family.
I believe in you Guys.
I believe in marriage
I believe in tolerance
I believe in Trust
I believe in understanding
I believe in communication
A marriage can work with all this even without much love.. but where there's love and not all this...it's a recipe for disaster.

My fellow African sister, build your marriage again, your trust, your tolerance, your communication and your understanding again for the sake of your kids and the love you once had/have for him.

HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU. MAY THE PEACE AND LOVE OF GOD THROUGH CHRIST STRENGTHEN YOU. ENJOY YOUR DAY AND SAY ME HI TO YOUR KIDS.

I'LL LOVE TO TELL YOU CONGRATULATIONS IF YOU DO MAKE IT WORK.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by KanwuliaExtra: 9:14am On Mar 27, 2022
GboyegaD:

Please, if possible, don't go this route. You both should seek counseling first and see if things can be worked out.

Like I said, he's wicked, no doubt however, his thoughts could have attended from the thoughts some of the men on this thread are displaying. Let's for the sake of your marriage think about it as ignorance.

Find a middle ground that works for both parties and where he's a major contributor to the family. As it is right now, he's at the losing end since he will have to pay child support but being the money, the children need both parents.

Are you for real
It takes 2 to make ANY level of a relationship to succeed. I think it is too late for this advice of yours. People need to be smart in relationships.

A man is making plans to retire as a single man and wasted the most fruitful years in marriage DOING HIS OWN THING, and you are proposing “counseling” at the 99th hour?

You are a “male”, so it is not difficult to see where your sympathies are cast.

PEOPLE! Be smart in your relationships!
Don’t wait till the last minute to fix a broken marriage. ACT IMMEDIATELY. People usually show themselves within 2 years of marriage or earlier. Women especially, need to control how to PROCREATE when they choose to get married to LOSERS!✅

3 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
You know one thing i live by is what isngood for the goose is good for the gander. Im sure if i was a woman that did this the advice would be different. For this man to literally lie to my face while it's ongoing is something that I s unforgiveable. Its like judas to jesus except b i am human. If he can do that to me knowing all i have donenin this home and for him. He can do anything to fulfill a desirenhe wants damned how i feel. Hard work i have sacrificied for. What i see on this board is similar to in haiti. If a man builds on his famiky land a woman cant inherit or sell it and get the money in case anything happens. That is money gone to his family. Later hisbextended family could take over. Its a sunken cost. We owe over 50k to the IRS. They could literally take our home in the usa if we dkntbpay that off soon and it accrues interest. I helped him get a car and helped him pay it with my credit. It is in nigeria right now being enjoyed. Ye declined to sell it to relieve some household debt. All the work I have done over the years all my money has went into our home. His to others pockets first building another home first. Everyone knew except me that's embarrassing. I would be working 2 jobs and still he couldn't cook the kids food cos that's a woman's job. I am not Tolerating anything. I am doing damage control at this point. He priorities his famiky before me and my kids future. That's painful. I could have remained single and now I have 4 kids to raise. He could in 25nyears say he is going back to Nigeria since all of a sudden he loves his country. If he was this foretelling I would have never married him. But he got what he wanted. I rather cut my losses now.im still young. I don't have time to be worried my husband will eventually go back and to do what It hurts to know that I could've not worked and helped him at all but that was used against me.

I told my parents this morning they were suprised and angry especially my father. That he didn't like I have been working 1 to up to 3 jobs at a time and had to be financial issue and why would he be building a house with me having to work so hard. My husband told me he won't be told he can't take care of his parents. So...
quote author=ifiokjohn post=111406359] I know it's hard for trust to be rebuild but if both of you work towards it...it's can work.
Have seen a woman forgive her husband who cheated on her and broke her trust. But in the long run, she chooses to work on her marriage, forgive her husband and today they're very happy. That trust has been rebuilt.

Your husband has a fault. He cheated on you by not telling you he was building a house. You're his partner in everything and he cheated by lying. Buts it's been two years( I guess he has apologize) now is the time to let it all go. Build a happy home again. You can if you both work on it.
Ask him if he's willing to help in building that home. Let him promise openness this time around..taking you in all his plans weather present or future. .and that you will put as much work on it as he will. NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. let him know you doing this for your children and for the Love you had/have for him and cause you believe children grow better in a stable home.

Let him know you want to be in all major decision making.. from the money he is sending home to his parents or cousins...if you want him to stop sending money to his cousins except on dire situation then you can agree for him to send.

I put tolerance there cause your partner will push you to your limit but your ability to Tolerate, smile and push forward helps keeps your marriage. It's both ways by the way.

Then Trust, yes marriage can not exist without trust but even trust can be built after it has been shattered. Though it will take awhile but you both are willing to work on it and from now on be straightforward with each other you can save this marriage and build a better future for yourself(Unity)

Advice him on business plans like the Real Estate and how you guys can setup in the USA.
I believe in you Guys.
I believe in marriage
I believe in tolerance
I believe in Trust
A marriage can work with all this even without much love.. but where there's love and not all this...it's a recipe for disaster.

My fellow African sister, build your marriage again, your trust, your tolerance, your communication and your understanding again for the sake of your kids and the love you once had/have for him.

HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU. MAY THE PEACE AND LOVE OF GOD THROUGH CHRIST STRENGTHEN YOU. ENJOY YOUR DAY AND SAY ME HI TO YOUR KIDS.

I'LL LOVE TO TELL YOU CONGRATULATIONS IF YOU DO MAKE IT WORK.[/quote]
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:01pm On Mar 27, 2022
Unfortunately this advice cant help me now. I married at 32 cos i wanted to be sure now look at me. I cant returj the kids now. I noy thing i can do at this point his get everything i can in court to cover these debts, get a savings going and repair my credit. Thank God i dont have to worry about buying a house my parents have 2 that are paid off nearby. I can move there. We will have to seel this house.author=KanwuliaExtra post=111407851]

Are you for real
It takes 2 to make ANY level of a relationship to succeed. I think it is too late for this advice of yours. People need to be smart in relationships.

A man is making plans to retire as a single man and wasted the most fruitful years in marriage DOING HIS OWN THING, and you are proposing “counseling” at the 99th hour?

You are a “male”, so it is not difficult to see where your sympathies are cast.

PEOPLE! Be smart in your relationships!
Don’t wait till the last minute to fix a broken marriage. ACT IMMEDIATELY. People usually show themselves within 2 years of marriage or earlier. Women especially, need to control how to PROCREATE when they choose to get married to LOSERS!✅[/quote]
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by KanwuliaExtra: 2:12pm On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
Unfortunately this advice cant help me now. I married at 32 cos i wanted to be sure now look at me. I cant returj the kids now. I noy thing i can do at this point his get everything i can in court to cover these debts, get a savings going and repair my credit. Thank God i dont have to worry about buying a house my parents have 2 that are paid off nearby. I can move there. We will have to seel this

Good! Then get on with it.✅
You have a plan. Don’t waste your precious time searching for any useless, lost dog!❤️

3 Likes

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2022
KanwuliaExtra:

You have a plan. Don’t waste your precious time searching for any useless, lost dog!❤️
I am a bit scared but yes for my dignity I have to. No one in my family is divorced it's embarrassing but nothing can hurt me more than what I have experienced and I'm not open to allowing anything to occur anymore.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ifiokjohn(m): 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
Ms I understand you. I really do. But communicate with him. Tell him your anger with him. Divorce isn't the option but if divorcing him will bring sanity and joy into your life once more pls by all means do it . But I still stand by my conviction that if you give this marriage a last chance you'll be happy you did.

And about your loan, you and your husband can talk and have a payment plan on how to pay off the loan. You just have to communicate.

It is right you told your parents this... I hope they can also mediate between you both positively.

#DivorceIsNot an option.

You know one thing i live by is what isngood for the goose is good for the gander. Im sure if i was a woman that did this the advice would be different. For this man to literally lie to my face while it's ongoing is something that I s unforgiveable. Its like judas to jesus except b i am human. If he can do that to me knowing all i have donenin this home and for him. He can do anything to fulfill a desirenhe wants damned how i feel. Hard work i have sacrificied for. What i see on this board is similar to in haiti. If a man builds on his famiky land a woman cant inherit or sell it and get the money in case anything happens. That is money gone to his family. Later hisbextended family could take over. Its a sunken cost. We owe over 50k to the IRS. They could literally take our home in the usa if we dkntbpay that off soon and it accrues interest. I helped him get a car and helped him pay it with my credit. It is in nigeria right now being enjoyed. Ye declined to sell it to relieve some household debt. All the work I have done over the years all my money has went into our home. His to others pockets first building another home first. Everyone knew except me that's embarrassing. I would be working 2 jobs and still he couldn't cook the kids food cos that's a woman's job. I am not Tolerating anything. I am doing damage control at this point. He priorities his famiky before me and my kids future. That's painful. I could have remained single and now I have 4 kids to raise. He could in 25nyears say he is going back to Nigeria since all of a sudden he loves his country. If he was this foretelling I would have never married him. But he got what he wanted. I rather cut my losses now.im still young. I don't have time to be worried my husband will eventually go back and to do what It hurts to know that I could've not worked and helped him at all but that was used against me.

I told my parents this morning they were suprised and angry especially my father. That he didn't like I have been working 1 to up to 3 jobs at a time and had to be financial issue and why would he be building a house with me having to work so hard. My husband told me he won't be told he can't take care of his parents. So...
quote author=ifiokjohn post=111406359] I know it's hard for trust to be rebuild but if both of you work towards it...it's can work.

I believe in you Guys.
I believe in marriage
I believe in tolerance
I believe in Trust

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 2:23pm On Mar 27, 2022
Good for her. Inam not that woman. He had his cake and ate it to. Sure if it was the other way around he would have sent her packing.i wasnt taught to tolerate cos am a woman.men get beat up in haiti by a womans family if he commitsadultery. I am not building anymore i built and he took the bricks to someone else.
ifiokjohn:
I know it's hard for trust to be rebuild but if both of you work towards it...it's can work.

I believe in you Guys.
I believe in marriage
I believe in tolerance
I believe in Trust

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ifiokjohn(m): 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
Good for her. Inam not that woman. He had his cake and ate it to. Sure if it was the other way around he would have sent her packing.i wasnt taught to tolerate cos am a woman.men get beat up in haiti by a womans family if he commitsadultery. I am not building anymore i built and he took the bricks to someone else.
nope. He didn't cheat on you with someone else's. He just built his own house.

You don't expect him when he come visitinf every year he will go to his parents 3, bedroom and stay with you and 4kids plus his other sibling(s). So that Mansion is for him, you and the kids...even if they won't come here to live but definitely they'll come for holiday to see where they come from. To know their culture and people. You don't expect them to come n stay in their grandparents house.
It's disgraceful.

I'm not justifying him not telling you but I'm saying just try to look at things from his point of view too.

Now is the time to stand strong as a family.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
All the people that. I know dont even stay at anyones home due to safety concerns. No one. And again he could have built but dont liento me whole you are actually doing it and 2. Denying me relief from house responsibilities. I am not workingnso your family can enjoy the best of everything. They had a comfortablehome. There are no other siblings. Again no one is saying dont built hut its the betrayal and everyone except me knowing. That meansyou could do anything behind my back. I dont know what to expect. One thing i have never done is do something for anyone and my husband not know. But i really havent had to do for anyone. You see your wife sweating working and you are building mansion. You see me carrying ny kids in run down car but you send car tonnigeria that could be sold to buy me a new one or pay down debt.no its unforgiveable. He prioritizes his parents. I would even ask he pit just 10.00 in his kids acct and he would get so angry...but never faults in sending monthly to his parents.
So you can send money to your parents monthly but you can't out even 10.00 in each kids acct every month?? Why don't they get that same dedication?? I stopped asking.

ifiokjohn:
nope. He didn't cheat on you with someone else's. He just built his own house.

You don't expect him when he come visitinf every year he will go to his parents 3, bedroom and stay with you and 4kids plus his other sibling(s). So that Mansion is for him, you and the kids...even if they won't come here to live but definitely they'll come for holiday to see where they come from. To know their culture and people. You don't expect them to come n stay in their grandparents house.
It's disgraceful.

I'm not justifying him not telling you but I'm saying just try to look at things from his point of view too.

Now is the time to stand strong as a family.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 3:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
[Its not for me. Its for him and his parents.
My name isnt on it. 60k just to maybe go once a year for a week? That wasnt not an emergent thing to do. People stay in hotels to visit and go home. One of my best friends was like no when she and her hubby goes with their kids they stay in a secured hotel. Everyone i know does that. Later it will be another suprise in years time. Then i will be a fool. Again. I would never leave my kids and reture there or anything. I know that now he would love to and that is never for me
For what to party ? To exploit the poor? No im gonna be where my kids are which is the usa. I dont like being lied to i cant take it. To my face every one knew. His family even some friends knew and not me. Meanwhile i am helping you by working so hard so everything osnt on your back. Inregret i didnt say no to his proposal he could have married someone from there who will tolerate anything and not have theie life ruined. I ruined my life and im hurt for it. uote author=ifiokjohn post=111416150]nope. He didn't cheat on you with someone else's. He just built his own house.

It's disgraceful.

Now is the time to stand strong as a family.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by yuping(m): 4:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
[quote author=lefemmechoclat post=111403771][/quote]
This is not the get be selfish, you still have sacrifice to make for your kids, any decision you make let your kids be the ones who benefit the most. Just hope you find peace and fulfilment in your next step.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ifiokjohn(m): 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
[Its not for me. Its for him and his parents.
My name isnt on it. 60k just to maybe go once a year for a week? That wasnt not an emergent thing to do. People stay in hotels to visit and go home. One of my best friends was like no when she and her hubby goes with their kids they stay in a secured hotel. Everyone i know does that. Later it will be another suprise in years time. Then i will be a fool. Again. I would never leave my kids and reture there or anything. I know that now he would love to and that is never for me
For what to party ? To exploit the poor? No im gonna be where my kids are which is the usa. I dont like being lied to i cant take it. To my face every one knew. His family even some friends knew and not me. Meanwhile i am helping you by working so hard so everything osnt on your back. Inregret i didnt say no to his proposal he could have married someone from there who will tolerate anything and not have theie life ruined. I ruined my life and im hurt for it. uote author=ifiokjohn post=111416150]nope. He didn't cheat on you with someone else's. He just built his own house.

It's disgraceful.

Now is the time toe stand strong as a family.
maybe the timing was wrong. But that house needed to be built. Not everyone loves staying in an hotel

Imagine you guys are 6 you Lough in an other for a week anytime u come home. Calculate that for 20 years at least and then you'll see it enough or more than that 60k.

The timing might be wrong but building that house is really right. The peace of mind it's brings is everything.

I'm angry he didn't tell you... Marriage should be about communication. He needed to have told his wife but him building that house.. you have to try to understand no one wants to come home every year end and stays in someone else's house( even if it's theit parents house).

A 3 bedroom flat is to small to contain the whole family ...

So sister, pls I beg you. Give your marriage a second chance.

You might not want to live in Nigeria doesn't mean your children wouldn't come to visit once awhile. Imagine them coming to visit and the house is filled up with the children of their father's sister/brother.
Where will they stay? An hotel?.. isn't it safer more in their father's house than an hotel.

The house doesn't have to be in your name before being yours or your children.
Since you both are married.. two have become one meaning what belongs to him belongs to you and vice versa.

Forgive him, forget it and forge ahead.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ifiokjohn(m): 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
All the people that. I know dont even stay at anyones home due to safety concerns. No one. And again he could have built but dont liento me whole you are actually doing it and 2. Denying me relief from house responsibilities. I am not workingnso your family can enjoy the best of everything. They had a comfortablehome. There are no other siblings. Again no one is saying dont built hut its the betrayal and everyone except me knowing. That meansyou could do anything behind my back. I dont know what to expect. One thing i have never done is do something for anyone and my husband not know. But i really havent had to do for anyone. You see your wife sweating working and you are building mansion. You see me carrying ny kids in run down car but you send car tonnigeria that could be sold to buy me a new one or pay down debt.no its unforgiveable. He prioritizes his parents. I would even ask he pit just 10.00 in his kids acct and he would get so angry...but never faults in sending monthly to his parents.
So you can send money to your parents monthly but you can't out even 10.00 in each kids acct every month?? Why don't they get that same dedication?? I stopped asking.

now that there is the problem you guys needs to talk about.
Talk to him about how you need help with all that and how he needs to start helping out
Give him the chance too and if he fails pls divorce his ass. But if he's ready to contribute and communicate then pls by all means give him another chance
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by MMotimo: 5:44am On Mar 28, 2022
Dear Lady, your pain is palpable. I can only hope that talking it out like this is helping you, such a sad state of affairs. I am a woman like you and I can put myself in your shoes. It would hurt a lot to experience this.

I don’t have advice but I commend your fighting spirit and perhaps even more, your financial intelligence. The fact that you are still able to think clearly where the money is concerned and that you have financial records. A lot of women tend not to pay attention to the finances but I’m happy to see that you have a paper trail that can be useful if it comes to that.

As for the person telling you the house needed to be built or that your name does not have to be on the ownership documents, take that with a grain of salt. The US and EU are filled with Nigerian men impoverishing their families abroad while building white elephant projects at home for their ego and self validation and because their brains never really developed from trying to out do the village Joneses. It’s the “big man syndrome “ pretending to be what they are not. I doubt his friends in Nigeria knew his wife was working 2 jobs to enable him build the house. It’s even worse now because some of these US/EU based Nigerian men are trying to out do/compete with the buildings of established fraudsters who don’t even work for money. This is 2022, the house has to be in your name for you to claim ownership and even that does not guarantee you can take it over if you wanted to. The law is slow and not guaranteed to be fair if litigation ever happened.

If it’s in the village, chances are that marketability is very restricted, especially on ancestral land, so it’s not like you can just sell and recoup your money, never mind the fast eroding exchange rate that means the $1 of six months ago is like #580 today so the conversion would be less than USD60k sale price.

I wish you peace and I pray this works out for your good in some way.

XOXO

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by ThatPetiteChic: 8:29am On Mar 28, 2022
Dear Op,

We understand your pain and financial management plans for yourself and family. No true Christian and Nigerian will support your divorce plan. Divorce should be the last thing on your mind after you might have exhausted all options available. It seems you already made up your mind before coming here to vent your anger and you need nairalanders to support you. I suggest you and your husband see a therapist or marriage counselor and give him a last chance. The both of you should come with a financial management plan where he contributes to the payment of his debt(student loans, irs, mortgage etc) and the savings of your children's future and any other bill you didn't mention.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Klass99(f): 9:28am On Mar 28, 2022
cool
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by semitunde: 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2022
lefemmechoclat:

I am a bit scared but yes for my dignity I have to. No one in my family is divorced it's embarrassing but nothing can hurt me more than what I have experienced and I'm not open to allowing anything to occur anymore.

If you're scared, Give it some time. Think clearly about it. I'll advise you even tell your parents about it, but not from the angle of anger but from a balanced perspective. Hear them out. If you're not satisfied with their response, seek another elderly person or couple. You can get that in the church. I'll tell you why.

You see that fear you feel, even if a tiny bit, it's called fear of regret. It can turn out the most crushing thing anyone can experience because in most cases, you can't then do anything about it unless you can pull back the hands of time. You don't know how the future will turn out, you're only looking to be the best you can and position yourself well for it. But mistakes can be made. It could be your children hearing about this and having a different opinion about the decision you took. Yes, it's possible. And it's why we are humans, imperfect.

So can you take out regret? It's by going through all your options. You seem to me like a melancholic. I am too (now to an extent). The way our brain works is to unconsciously look at all the options that were available whenever anything goes wrong. This can happen after your divorce decision. Now, this is not a movie that has an ending. It's going to be the rest of your life. If there are options/decisions you may have taken to lead to a better outcome, your brain will highlight this, and thoughts like this can lead to regrets and/or depression. This shows up in many people who are in similar situations reacting differently to social issues. Some lash out, some are hateful, some just don't care anymore. The root cause might just be the powerlessness to take back time and live in regret. Explore all your options is how to avoid this. So that if you do go ahead with divorce (or not), when things don't go well and your bain tried to dig back, you can counter that you tried that and it didn't work. It reduces the pain of regret or even removes it.

Pls, note. I am not advising you to leave your husband. I am also not telling you to stay. I am saying satisfy that little fear by exploring all options so that the fear won't turn out to be the variant of regret. Do the things you're in control of. Leave the rest to fate or God.

Finally, I'm a little uncomfortable with the way the word cheating/cheats has been used to replace the word lying/lies. It makes simple situations more complex.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 6:28pm On Mar 29, 2022
I think more of the fear is.will he still he there for his kids no matter what..what will the judges determine and how petty i should be cos frankly i feel used as as a stepping stone. I do not want to ve the better person as i was during my marriage and it wore me down. I have told my parents and that are fra kly not happy that i was worked so long and hard to make ends meet when his priorities were outside and he couldnt even be honest. My dad was saying a man wouldnt see his wife working to the bone and make ithers comfortable so they full support me.quote author=semitunde post=111468671]

If you're scared, Give it some time. Think clearly about it. I'll advise you even tell your parents about it, but not from the angle of anger but from a balanced perspective. Hear them out. If you're not satisfied with their response, seek another elderly person or couple. You can get that in the church. I'll tell you why.

You see that fear you feel, even if a tiny bit, it's called fear of regret. It can turn out the most crushing thing anyone can experience because in most cases, you can't then do anything about it unless you can pull back the hands of time. You don't know how the future will turn out, you're only looking to be the best you can and position yourself well for it. But mistakes can be made. It could be your children hearing about this and having a different opinion about the decision you took. Yes, it's possible. And it's why we are humans, imperfect.

So can you take out regret? It's by going through all your options. You seem to me like a melancholic. I am too (now to an extent). The way our brain works is to unconsciously look at all the options that were available whenever anything goes wrong after your divorce decision. Now, this is not a movie that has an ending. It's going to be the rest of your life. If there are options/decisions you may have taken to lead to an outcome that your brain will tell you may be better. Thoughts like this can lead to regrets and/or depression. This shows up in many people who are in similar situations reacting differently to social issues. Some lash out, some are hateful, some just don't care anymore. The root cause might just be the powerlessness to take back time and live in regret. Explore all your options is how to avoid this. So that if you do go ahead with divorce (or not), when things don't go well and your bain tried to dig back, you can counter that you tried that and it didn't work. It reduces the pain of regret or even removes it.

Pls, note. I am not advising you to leave your husband. I am also not telling you to stay. I am saying satisfy that little fear by exploring all options so that the fear won't turn out to be the variant of regret. Do the things you're in control of. Leave the rest to fate or God.

Finally, I'm a little uncomfortable with the way the word cheating/cheats has been used to replace the word lying/lies. It makes simple situations more complex.[/quote]
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 6:30pm On Mar 29, 2022
Its more than that though its the transparency and the fact that IT is not even acknowledgedall the extra work i did over the years and it benefited him as in my sweat allowdd him to build a mansion bwhind my back. I

Hiw should it be the last thing in my mind when i was used, financiallyabused and betrayed to My face. Everyone knew except me...nah.
ThatPetiteChic:
Dear Op,

We understand your pain and financial management plans for yourself and family. No true Christian and Nigerian will support your divorce plan. Divorce should be the last thing on your mind after you might have exhausted all options available. It seems you already made up your mind before coming here to vent your anger and you need nairalanders to support you. I suggest you and your husband see a therapist or marriage counselor and give him a last chance. The both of you should come with a financial management plan where he contributes to the payment of his debt(student loans, irs, mortgage etc) and the savings of your children's future and any other bill you didn't mention.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 6:33pm On Mar 29, 2022
I know its shameful but i wont be a mule for someone to be comfortable or show off in court. I got all the ping transfers world remit for the past 7 yeads and pics of the home and builders contract. Im getting that half in payment or his half of the equity of our home. No your family wont be comfortable before my own and under my sweat. Hidden
MMotimo:
Dear Lady, your pain is palpable. I can only hope that talking it out like this is helping you, such a sad state of affairs. I am a woman like you and I can put myself in your shoes. It would hurt a lot to experience this.

I don’t have advice but I commend your fighting spirit and perhaps even more, your financial intelligence. The fact that you are still able to think clearly where the money is concerned and that you have financial records. A lot of women tend not to pay attention to the finances but I’m happy to see that you have a paper trail that can be useful if it comes to that.

As for the person telling you the house needed to be built or that your name does not have to be on the ownership documents, take that with a grain of salt. The US and EU are filled with Nigerian men impoverishing their families abroad while building white elephant projects at home for their ego and self validation and because their brains never really developed from trying to out do the village Joneses. It’s the “big man syndrome “ pretending to be what they are not. I doubt his friends in Nigeria knew his wife was working 2 jobs to enable him build the house. It’s even worse now because some of these US/EU based Nigerian men are trying to out do/compete with the buildings of established fraudsters who don’t even work for money. This is 2022, the house has to be in your name for you to claim ownership and even that does not guarantee you can take it over if you wanted to. The law is slow and not guaranteed to be fair if litigation ever happened.

If it’s in the village, chances are that marketability is very restricted, especially on ancestral land, so it’s not like you can just sell and recoup your money, never mind the fast eroding exchange rate that means the $1 of six months ago is like #580 today so the conversion would be less than USD60k sale price.

I wish you peace and I pray this works out for your good in some way.

XOXO
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2022
I am. He refused to sign the papers . He is so angry. Calling famiky meeting etx etx. You sure werent calling family meeting ymqhen i was working 60 plus hrs a week and maintaining the house whike you build your mansion. No one have the audacity to questionme that benefit from my sweat.
KanwuliaExtra:

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 6:37pm On Mar 29, 2022
Yes the way to go was making his family back home comfortablebefore his family here. Ill never trust him after that.
GboyegaD:

I would suggest you choose not to see it that way. He might not have thought about it that way and he was only following what he thought was the way to go. The very reason why I'm suggesting counseling so that you can let out your pain and begin to find way to free and ease your pains and begin to find ways to trust him again.

Don't feed that thought that he used you. Before you came here, that wasn't your thought thus, don't let the things you read on here make you feel used because many supported his ideas. Truth is they don't know your pains, they wouldn't share your pains, and neither would they understand the plights of your children.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Gloriagee(f): 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2022
The car you bought using your credit is in Nig Oyibo women una dey try.... all of you are oyibo to me, Haiti o etc.

lefemmechoclat:

I believe in you Guys.
I believe in marriage
I believe in tolerance
I believe in Trust

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 8:18pm On Mar 29, 2022
Gloriagee:
The car you bought using your credit is in Nig Oyibo women una dey try.... all of you are oyibo to me, Haiti o etc.

Yes and he will be paying me the blue book value of it in court as well. Again no one should be benefiting from my credit except my home.
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 8:59pm On Mar 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Is divorce the best you believe you can do in this situation then?? undecided

What else will I do? Beg for another several years for him to put away for his kids. Us and pay off the debts? Make him be honest? He isn't trustworthy.

If I was a Nigerian woman and did this to my husband would he be told to forgive?
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Mar 29, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
What else will I do? Beg for another several years for him to put away for his kids. Us and pay off the debts? Make him be honest? He isn't trustworthy.

If I was a Nigerian woman and did this to my husband would he be told to forgive?
I honestly don't know but it just seems that divorce is you giving him an easy out after all that you say has done. undecided
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I honestly don't know but it just seems that divorce is you giving him an easy out after all that you say has done. undecided

No it's giving me one. I'll no longer need to work severalcjobs and beg someone to put our family first. He will have to pay child support until these kids are 21 ,and he will need to pay me half of all the money spend in property I have proof of in nigeria.i will be ok. He can do what he wishes as he been doing it and hiding anyway

1 Like

Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Mar 29, 2022
lefemmechoclat:
No it's giving me one. I'll no longer need to work severalcjobs and beg someone to put our family first. He will have to pay child support until these kids are 21 ,and he will need to pay me half of all the money spend in property I have proof of in nigeria.i will be ok. He can do what he wishes as he been doing it and hiding anyway
If you believe this works best for you then OK. undecided

It really is a pity that your kids had to end up with such a father. undecided
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by lefemmechoclat: 8:27am On Mar 30, 2022
Ok qnd what am i supposed to do with that information now? quote author=Kobojunkie post=111485395] If you believe this works best for you then OK. undecided

It really is a pity that your kids had to end up with such a father. undecided[/quote]
Re: Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
lefemmechoclat

Did he used your money to build house for his parent? So you want to divorce a good man because he built house for his parent?

After you divorce him, you will be crying fowl loneliness later and start looking for scammers online

Instead of you to communicate with him, you are here thinking of divorce.

I can also forsee reasons why he didn't tell you before building a house for his parent with his own money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Whats Your Fear? Share Them / Christian Couple Spread The Word Via Wife Swapping / He Is Ruining My Reputation. Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 218
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.