Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities (6963 Views)

Lagos Danfo Buses Now Use Gas Instead Of Petrol - Photos / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Smart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by lilkech(m): 11:23am On Aug 13, 2022
adubam:

Abuja

Thanks.

but so there’s nowhere I can walk in to buy this product in Lagos?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 11:27am On Aug 13, 2022
lilkech:

What’s the location of this particular store?

The one in Central area. Around Ceddi Plaza.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by adubam(m): 12:32pm On Aug 13, 2022
lilkech:

Thanks.

but so there’s nowhere I can walk in to buy this product in Lagos?

Try google and narrow your search to Lagos.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:47pm On Feb 20, 2023
Piyke:

Yes it did. I will do this again with Liqui Moly...

I have commenced my use of Liqui Moly as prior, with before and after footage of the combustion chamber.

Early findings suggest it may be more interesting than the Gumout!

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by adubam(m): 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2023
Piyke:

I have commenced my use of Liqui Moly as prior, with before and after footage of the combustion chamber.

OK
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by adubam(m): 4:17pm On Feb 21, 2023
Piyke:

Can someone pour in the engine with old oil that one is about to change?
Or is it the one you mix with the petrol?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 11:09pm On Feb 21, 2023
adubam:

Can someone pour in the engine with old oil that one is about to change?
Or is it the one you mix with the petrol?

Product is recommended for the gas tank not crankcase.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by paix(m): 10:24am On Feb 22, 2023
Piyke:

The black stuff in the center is the carbon we all know. Carbon is black in colour. Just Google "carbon build up on pistons" and see that the images from abroad are black buildup on the pistons.

I don't know what to call this whitish grey brown stuff. Me thinks they are impurities in our fuel. Any ideas?
I believe this indicates the presence of SULFUR content in the fuel we use, since we can't refine ours.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by adubam(m): 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2023
Piyke:

Product is recommended for the gas tank not crankcase.

OK. THANKS.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2023
Piyke:

very nice thread. quite informative.
awaiting your findings with the liqui Moly...

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 4:14pm On Feb 22, 2023
paix:
I believe this indicates the presence of SULFUR content in the fuel we use, since we can't refine ours.

I am of the same opinion. High levels of sulphur. That yellowish brown grey stuff angry
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 9:52pm On Mar 01, 2023
Piyke:

I am of the same opinion. High levels of sulphur. That yellowish brown grey stuff angry
any update so far chief?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 10:58pm On Mar 01, 2023
AutoMoTech:

any update so far chief?

This one will take a bit longer. I estimate to have the video in about a month or so because of the method I'm using this time around.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
Piyke:

This one will take a bit longer. I estimate to have the video in about a month or so because of the method I'm using this time around.
alright then... patiently waiting.

in the mean time can we talk about engine flush and if the work?
will be nice to hear from others to learn from their experiences...
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 9:44am On Mar 04, 2023
AutoMoTech:

alright then... patiently waiting.

in the mean time can we talk about engine flush and if the work?
will be nice to hear from others to learn from their experiences...

Dealing with sludge in a 1ZZ-FE engine presently. Done first flush, but some sludge still remaining. Planning a more aggressive flush. I used liqui moly engine flush initially however I didn't follow up with a 2nd drain and fill. I may use diesel as part of the 2nd attempt. Still researching and planning!
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 10:02am On Mar 05, 2023
Piyke:

Dealing with sludge in a 1ZZ-FE engine presently. Done first flush, but some sludge still remaining. Planning a more aggressive flush. I used liqui moly engine flush initially however I didn't follow up with a 2nd drain and fill. I may use diesel as part of the 2nd attempt. Still researching and planning!

haha...
Does the diesel trick work? used it once on my former Nissan Altima... wasn't sure if it worked tho.
Also I still wonder why the 1ZZ and ZR engines are notorious for building up sludge so much. Seen so much of it, it feels crazy. I personally believe there is only how far this sludge removers can work. e get the kind sludge wey dem no fit comot. those ones that are thick like icing...
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2023
AutoMoTech:

haha...
Does the diesel trick work? used it once on my former Nissan Altima... wasn't sure if it worked tho.
Also I still wonder why the 1ZZ and ZR engines are notorious for building up sludge so much. Seen so much of it, it feels crazy. I personally believe there is only how far this sludge removers can work. e get the kind sludge wey dem no fit comot. those ones that are thick like icing...

Still watching much content on sludge removal lol. Seems diesel works. I agree that that 1ZZ-FE engine seems more prone to sludge. A friend of mine who has always maintained a rigorous service schedule with 5w-30 is also facing sludge on his 2002 Camry. Generally, I've seen more sludge on Toyota than Honda cars.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 11:54am On Mar 08, 2023
Piyke:

Still watching much content on sludge removal lol. Seems diesel works. I agree that that 1ZZ-FE engine seems more prone to sludge. A friend of mine who has always maintained a rigorous service schedule with 5w-30 is also facing sludge on his 2002 Camry. Generally, I've seen more sludge on Toyota than Honda cars.

Maybe harm already done before vehicle was shipped to Nigeria?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by turnstoner(m): 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2023
Piyke:

Low octane fuel, impurities, high compression ratio (as a result of deposits), should upset the tight air-fuel ratio for combustion. In essence, there may not be enough of fuel/air (or the perfect ratio of the same) to reduce the organic matter to carbon... My take.

Actually, if there is complete combustion there will be little or no carbon deposits, only gases (carbon dioxide and water vapour).
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 5:50pm On Mar 08, 2023
turnstoner:

Actually, if there is complete combustion there will be little or no carbon deposits, only gases (carbon dioxide and water vapour).

Yep.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2023
aieromon:

Maybe harm already done before vehicle was shipped to Nigeria?

Possibly.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 12:17am On Mar 09, 2023
Piyke:

Totally agree. do let me know what solutions you come across.
also i believe whatever option you decide to pick, it depends solely on the amount/extent of sludge build up.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 7:45am On Mar 09, 2023
Piyke:

1. What brand of 5w30 was he using?
2. What was his oil change interval?
5k miles, 6 months, one year?

We need to explore the reasons for this sludge so others can learn from it.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 9:30am On Mar 09, 2023
9icetoo:

1. What brand of 5w30 was he using?
2. What was his oil change interval?
5k miles, 6 months, one year?

We need to explore the reasons for this sludge so others can learn from it.

1. Mostly used Coastal 5w-30 semi-synthetic motor oil. When not available used other brands like Castrol (same oil weight).
2. Stuck to 5000km (3107 miles) religiously, didn't go by number of months although he said he changed his oil a number of times in any given year.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 1:45pm On Mar 09, 2023
Piyke:

1. Mostly used Coastal 5w-30 semi-synthetic motor oil. When not available used other brands like Castrol (same oil weight).
2. Stuck to 5000km (3107 miles) religiously, didn't go by number of months although he said he changed his oil a number of times in any given year.
Now this is a cause for concern. One more question, did he buy these oils from reputable filling stations for eg in the case of Castrol, did he buy the oil from Eterna filling station or from the open market?
His OCI is very good. However, i need to ask two more questions on that, does he frequently drive short distances i.e less than 10km during each of the drives and has his cooling system been tropicalized (bypassed and thermostat removed)?

If he has been buying oils from the open market, then the sludge was inevitable. If he frequently drives short distances and has bypassed his cooling system, then the sludge was also inevitable.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 8:39pm On Mar 09, 2023
9icetoo:

Now this is a cause for concern. One more question, did he buy these oils from reputable filling stations for eg in the case of Castrol, did he buy the oil from Eterna filling station or from the open market?
His OCI is very good. However, i need to ask two more questions on that, does he frequently drive short distances i.e less than 10km during each of the drives and has his cooling system been tropicalized (bypassed and thermostat removed)?

If he has been buying oils from the open market, then the sludge was inevitable. If he frequently drives short distances and has bypassed his cooling system, then the sludge was also inevitable.

Thermostat was removed, but read this https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-parts-and-accessories/engine-sludge/index.htm certain years of Toyota were sludge prone and Toyota paid compensation.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2023
Piyke:

Thermostat was removed, but read this https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-parts-and-accessories/engine-sludge/index.htm certain years of Toyota were sludge prone and Toyota paid compensation.
But the corolla in question here wasn't mentioned.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Itsrm(m): 9:42pm On Mar 09, 2023
9icetoo:

I've had direct experiences with two different vehicles I imported myself using the same 1ZZ-FE. Vehicle engine came in clean as a whistle. Mobil 1 Oil was bought from two of nairalands biggest importers, the oil was religiously changed every 5k miles but to my greatest surprise, both vehicles developed sludge after a while.

I have to also add that both vehicles were used on bolt. I don't know if that was a factor. Thermostat was intact and there was no abuse.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 11:32pm On Mar 09, 2023
Itsrm:

I've had direct experiences with two different vehicles I imported myself using the same 1ZZ-FE. Vehicle engine came in clean as a whistle. Mobil 1 Oil was bought from two of nairalands biggest importers, the oil was religiously changed every 5k miles but to my greatest surprise, both vehicles developed sludge after a while.

I have to also add that both vehicles were used on bolt. I don't know if that was a factor. Thermostat was intact and there was no abuse.

Hmmmm this is very interesting.
So wait... Engines came in looking clean no issues. But gets to Nigeria being used for e-hailing and boom the engine don crase again.
Shey na out weather ni abi wetin dey occur gan gan?
because I want to believe the oils used were imported Mobil 1 and they should have been good quality oils.
Would he interesting if we're able to narrow down the specific cause of this sludge build up.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by sooperrescue(m): 2:16am On Mar 10, 2023
AutoMoTech:

So wait... Engines came in looking clean no issues. But gets to Nigeria being used for e-hailing and boom the engine don crase again.
because I want to believe the oils used were imported Mobil 1 and they should have been good quality oils.
Would he interesting if we're able to narrow down the specific cause of this sludge build up.
The oil were way above what was recommended for Toyota. I remember that I told them that Toyota never recommended extended performance Mobil 1 but they were swayed away by the guys. So the reason was that the owners were using the wrong oil and it caused sludge
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Itsrm(m): 5:54am On Mar 10, 2023
AutoMoTech:

Yes they were imported Mobil 1.

Infact, when the first incidence happened, I thought the first seller sold fake oil to me so I stopped buying from him and switched to the usual 20w 50.

When I imported the second vehicle, it came in with less than 110,000 miles. I started buying oil and filter from the second seller. Oil was changed every 5000 miles. To my surprise, same sludge issues after a couple of months.

Now I just use 20w50 and change every 2500 miles.

Funny thing is, same oil from the same seller in two other vehicles (a J32 engine and a VQ37 ) with oil changes every 5000 miles do not have any sludge issues. These ones are privately driven and not used for ehaling.

Apparently, it's not the seller. It's either from the IZZ Fe engine as others have said or something to do with what the vehicle is being used for(ehailing)
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by chris81964(m): 5:59am On Mar 10, 2023
Itsrm:

Yes they were imported Mobil 1.

Infact, when the first incidence happened, I thought the first seller sold fake oil to me so I stopped buying from him and switched to the usual 20w 50.

When I imported the second vehicle, it came in with less than 110,000 miles. I started buying oil and filter from the second seller. Oil was changed every 5000 miles. To my surprise, same sludge issues after a couple of months.

Now I just use 20w50 and change every 2500 miles.

Funny thing is, same oil from the same seller in two other vehicles (a J32 engine and a VQ37 ) with oil changes every 5000 miles do not have any sludge issues. These ones are privately driven and not used for ehaling.

Apparently, it's not the seller. It's either from the IZZ Fe engine as others have said or something to do with what the vehicle is being used for(ehailing)

I normally do an engine flush on any car that I purchase. This gives me a baseline. You might need to change your oil more frequently. I use Shell Rotella T6. It has more detergents in it. It should help with your sludge issues too. Bolt is a more punishing duty cycle than your privately driven car.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Car's Pedals Be Readjusted To Be Suitable For Short Person To Drive? / . / Toyota Camry Pencil (1997) Consumes Fuel A Lot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.