Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities (6957 Views)

Lagos Danfo Buses Now Use Gas Instead Of Petrol - Photos / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Smart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Itsrm(m): 6:16am On Mar 10, 2023
chris81964:

I normally do an engine flush on any car that I purchase. This gives me a baseline. You might need to change your oil more frequently.I use Shell Rotella T6. It has more detergents in it. It should help with your sludge issues too. Bolt is a more punishing duty cycle than your privately driven car.

Where do you get this from?

And I agree with the last part. Ehailing can be very harsh on cars.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by chris81964(m): 7:16am On Mar 10, 2023
Itsrm:

Where do you get this from?

And I agree with the last part. Ehailing can be very harsh on cars.

Do an engine flush. I used the Liqui Molly. There are many options up to and including using diesel or ATF. Mycarparts supplied the Rotella T6. They are on Jiji
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 7:26am On Mar 10, 2023
Itsrm:

Yes they were imported Mobil 1.

Infact, when the first incidence happened, I thought the first seller sold fake oil to me so I stopped buying from him and switched to the usual 20w 50.

When I imported the second vehicle, it came in with less than 110,000 miles. I started buying oil and filter from the second seller. Oil was changed every 5000 miles. To my surprise, same sludge issues after a couple of months.

Now I just use 20w50 and change every 2500 miles.

Funny thing is, same oil from the same seller in two other vehicles (a J32 engine and a VQ37 ) with oil changes every 5000 miles do not have any sludge issues. These ones are privately driven and not used for ehaling.

Apparently, it's not the seller. It's either from the IZZ Fe engine as others have said or something to do with what the vehicle is being used for(ehailing)

I will go with the e-hailing reason.
It was used in 'a severe manner'.

Short trips, long idling times etc.
Oil changes should have been sooner. The change to 2500 OCI has seemingly solved the problem.

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 7:29am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

The oil were way above what was recommended for Toyota. I remember that I told them that Toyota never recommended extended performance Mobil 1 but they were swayed away by the guys. So the reason was that the owners were using the wrong oil and it caused sludge
There is no harm in going up in oil specs. The harm is in going down.

Using synthetic in a modern vehicle that doesn't call for synthetic won't cause sludge.

I don't know why you get these facts all twisted all the time.

Other factors have contributed to this issue and not the oil.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by sooperrescue(m): 7:55am On Mar 10, 2023
9icetoo:

There is no harm in going up in oil specs. The harm is in going down.

Using synthetic in a modern vehicle that doesn't call for synthetic won't cause sludge.

I don't know why you get these facts all twisted all the time.

Other factors have contributed to this issue and not the oil.

It seems like you are fixated on something. Folks here once accused Dru23 of destroying his Kia Rio with his extended performance oil. Mobil 1 for Toyota Honda and Nissan was made for a reason. It is like a Toyota Corolla 06 using premium unleaded fuel. A lot of people were using Castrol edge extended performance 5w30 on a Toyota 06 when the same oil is recommended for a 2018 range Rover Evoque. Oil na oil team
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 8:35am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

The oil were way above what was recommended for Toyota. I remember that I told them that Toyota never recommended extended performance Mobil 1 but they were swayed away by the guys. So the reason was that the owners were using the wrong oil and it caused sludge
I'm sorry but this doesn't add up to me. If the oils exceeded what was recommended by Toyota as you mentioned, then it is only expected that the oil should perform better.
considering the fact the oils have good detergent and additives to prevent the formation of sludge due to oxidation.
Also consider the fact that the oil change interval was religiously kept at 5,000 miles.

My thought.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 8:38am On Mar 10, 2023
chris81964:

I normally do an engine flush on any car that I purchase. This gives me a baseline. You might need to change your oil more frequently. I use Shell Rotella T6. It has more detergents in it. It should help with your sludge issues too. Bolt is a more punishing duty cycle than your privately driven car.

true... because the more hot and cool cycle the oil goes through also adds to the possible formation of sludge.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 8:50am On Mar 10, 2023
9icetoo:

Oil changes should have been sooner. The change to 2500 OCI has seemingly solved the problem.

on point...

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 8:54am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

It seems like you are fixated on something. Folks here once accused Dru23 of destroying his Kia Rio with his extended performance oil. Mobil 1 for Toyota Honda and Nissan was made for a reason. It is like a Toyota Corolla 06 using premium unleaded fuel. A lot of people were using Castrol edge extended performance 5w30 on a Toyota 06 when the same oil is recommended for a 2018 range Rover Evoque. Oil na oil team

but the guy never mentioned if the vehicles in question here used the extended performance.
Itsrm will you be kind to shed more light on the exact oil used here.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Itsrm(m): 9:16am On Mar 10, 2023
AutoMoTech:

but the guy never mentioned if the vehicles in question here used the extended performance.
Itsrm will you be kind to shed more light on the exact oil used here.

It was not even about that. The first seller mostly sells the normal Mobil good for 10,000 miles.

The second usually sells extended performance for vehicles above 75k miles and good for 20,000 miles.

Both oils caused sludge.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Itsrm(m): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2023
9icetoo:

You're welcome sir
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 10:54am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

You are the one fixated on something. OIL!!!!!!!!
Regardless of brand, oil spec is oil spec.

If Toyota recommended dyno oil spec and a car owner uses synthetic, he is going above and beyond. He has done better than recommended. it stands to reason with verifiable facts that his engine and vehicle is being better maintained.

Extended performance has nothing to do with sludge formation. Castrol has nothing to do with sludge formation.

Usage and oil change interval have everything to do with it!!!!!

Rest.

This will be my last response to you. I would rather have discussions with people with an open mind and who really want to solve problems rather than the banal toyota this range rover that rubbish.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 1:47pm On Mar 10, 2023
AutoMoTech:

But the corolla in question here wasn't mentioned.

I agree. But the other car 9icetoo was referring to (my friend's car) is a 2002 Camry V6 which is on the list.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 2:06pm On Mar 10, 2023
One other thing to keep in mind on sludge is that, a clogged PCV valve is a major contributor. I don't know that many Naija mechanics change this.
That said, more cars are sludge prone even when you've done everything you should. Still not sure why I've seen more sludge on Toyota in my little experience. My basic comparison is Toyota vs Honda. I don't run a shop, so my this observation may not stand to statistical reasoning.
People like Gazzuzz et al who have a large pool of cars they service would be in a better position to comment.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 2:10pm On Mar 10, 2023
Piyke:

I agree. But the other car 9icetoo was referring to (my friend's car) is a 2002 Camry V6 which is on the list.
yes true... i saw that.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 2:13pm On Mar 10, 2023
Piyke:
One other thing to keep in mind on sludge is that, a clogged PCV valve is a major contributor. I don't know that many Naija mechanics change this.
That said, more cars are sludge prone even when you've done everything you should. Still not sure why I've seen more sludge on Toyota in my little experience. My basic comparison is Toyota vs Honda. I don't run a shop, so my this observation may not stand to statistical reasoning.
People like Gazzuzz et al who have a large pool of cars they service would be in a better position to comment.
you are very correct on this. most mechanics don't replace it as a serviceable part. they dont even know the function.
and yes it is a very high cause for sludge formation.
most pcv systems are non-functional causing by-pass gases to remain in the crankcase instead of it being recycled into the combustion chamber.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 6:41pm On Apr 16, 2023
adubam:

OK

AutoMoTech:

any update so far chief?

Finally posted the Liqui Moly valve clean video. I'm impressed that this supposed valve cleaner also cleans pistons.
Took multiple treatments, but we'll worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKIycwZtY0

cc'ing the usual suspects😇
9icetoo
aieromon
paix
Kirkman
olenyi
nnamokenna
sooperrescue

4 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 10:19pm On Apr 16, 2023
Piyke:

Finally posted the Liqui Moly valve clean video. I'm impressed that this supposed valve cleaner also cleans pistons.

Nice job.

Gumout vs Liqui Moly? Who won the battle?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 7:26am On Apr 17, 2023
Piyke:

9icetoo
aieromon
paix
Kirkman
olenyi
nnamokenna
sooperrescue

Cool stuff.
It's just sad it took more than 5 treatments and some spirited driving to get it done.

Where Lagos people wan see road drive spiritedly for 100 miles? cheesy.
In their dreams.

Oya, send your piston down make I send you my own. After 1900 miles, we swap again. cheesy

That your boroscope is cool man. Me likey.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by nurey(m): 9:36am On Apr 17, 2023
9icetoo:

Cool stuff.
It's just sad it took more than 5 treatments and some spirited driving to get it done.

Where Lagos people wan see road drive spiritedly for 100 miles ? cheesy.
In their dreams.

Oya, send your piston down make I send you my own. After 1900 miles, we swap again. cheesy

Obalende to Ogudu (using 3rd mainland bridge) is around 25km, do it 4 times to and fro between the hours of 10:30am to 1:30pm when the road is very free grin

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2023
aieromon:

Nice job.

Gumout vs Liqui Moly? Who won the battle?

Can't say it will make for a direct comparison since I used Liqui Moly in 5 fuel tanks. Gumout was 2. Though gumout says to use once in 3k miles or so. Personally, I'll be using LM till I find something better.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 1:37pm On Apr 17, 2023
9icetoo:

Cool stuff.

Where Lagos people wan see road drive spiritedly for 100 miles? cheesy.
In their dreams.

Lol. Even in Abuja it's not as easy. I was doing those spirited stuff Saturday mornings. I leave at 6am. By 730 - 8am my preferred stretch would become clogged. At that point I shift to a different lonelier road to finish.
Come to Abuja and pull the head, then I can send you the pistons. Lol

On 5 treatments, I guess it's to do with the level of build up in the first place. Also I think if I were doing like a 500km trip, it wouldn't have taken 5 tanks.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by FEGEITOK: 1:46pm On Apr 17, 2023
Piyke:

Lol. Even in Abuja it's not as easy. I was doing those spirited stuff Saturday mornings. I leave at 6am. By 730 - 8am my preferred stretch would become clogged. At that point I shift to a different lonelier road to finish.

On 5 treatments, I guess it's to do with the level of build up in the first place. Also I think if I were doing like a 500km trip, it wouldn't have taken 5 tanks.

On the bolded. I found a kindred spirit.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 4:58pm On Apr 17, 2023
nurey:

Obalende to Ogudu (using 3rd mainland bridge) is around 25km, do it 4 times to and fro between the hours of 10:30am to 1:30pm when the road is very free grin
And what happens to my sleep? You wan hear say 9icetoo die on top 3rd MB abi? Your plan is not going to work.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 5:02pm On Apr 17, 2023
Piyke:

grin grin at the bolded.
I do long distance regularly. Just came back from a 450 mile round trip though not driven spiritedly. Now i am all about MPG not SPG.
Well, if i ever come to abuja, i will surely use that boroscope of yours to see whats going on in this engine of mine.
No performance issues at the moment but i can bet nigerian fuel has done a number on the pistons. How much is the liqui moly by the way?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by AutoMoTech(m): 5:26pm On Apr 17, 2023
Piyke:

9icetoo
aieromon
paix
Kirkman
olenyi
nnamokenna
sooperrescue

this is really nice... well and video too. properly elaborates the results gotten.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2023
9icetoo:

grin grin at the bolded.
I do long distance regularly. Just came back from a 450 mile round trip though not driven spiritedly. Now i am all about MPG not SPG.
Well, if i ever come to abuja, i will surely use that boroscope of yours to see whats going on in this engine of mine.
No performance issues at the moment but i can bet nigerian fuel has done a number on the pistons. How much is the liqui moly by the way?

I got it from a seller on Konga by the name mamtus. Sells for 4k something a can.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 1:30pm On Apr 18, 2023
AutoMoTech:

this is really nice... well and video too. properly elaborates the results gotten.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by FEGEITOK: 2:06pm On Apr 18, 2023
9icetoo:

grin grin at the bolded.
I do long distance regularly. Just came back from a[b] 450 mile round trip though not driven spiritedly[/b]. Now i am all about MPG not SPG.

Same day?

Several days?

Would you rather save MPG or arrive before nightfall?

There is something dangerous about allowing nightfall to catch you on Nigerian interstate routes unless you have a mind and heart of steel.

I love long distance drives but that we don't have the peace of mind one has driving interstate routes in a place like the USA is a big problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BMW E30 Drift Build. [00[][]00] / . / Can Car's Pedals Be Readjusted To Be Suitable For Short Person To Drive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.