Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? (1191 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name / Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 7:22pm On Mar 23, 2022
Have been wondering what could be the implication of my family adopting my name as surname instead of the current surname i bear,

Maybe in international scene, when traveling, work or even within Nigeria in legal standpoint.

Any input will be appreciated.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Babaken(m): 7:38pm On Mar 23, 2022
I think is choice I bear my father's name as my surname not my grandfather name.
According to my dad my senior brother want it that way and my dad give it go ahead.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 7:49pm On Mar 23, 2022
Babaken:
I think is choice I bear my father's name as my surname not my grandfather name.
According to my dad my senior brother want it that way and my dad give it go ahead.

I know is a choice, my question is whether it will affect me or them on a long run, maybe when apply for work or visa, just about anything. Maybe the organization or embassy saying my surname is different from my children's own or wife etc.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by simpleseyi: 10:56pm On Mar 23, 2022
This is Igbo's discussion. This discussion can never arise in a Yoruba family

4 Likes

Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Vision101(m): 11:22pm On Mar 23, 2022
I have the same issue. I will like to read from people with first hand experience and experts.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by frozen70(f): 7:34am On Mar 24, 2022
schweinsteiger:
Have been wondering what could be the implication of my family adopting my name as surname instead of the current surname i bear,

Maybe in international scene, when traveling, work or even within Nigeria in legal standpoint.

Any input will be appreciated.

There is nothing wrong, absolutely nothing wrong if you want your children to bear your name as your surname

It's a good idea if your wife bears such name along with them

It's a way of identifying your own family and that's how your own lineage will grow bearing that name from generations to generations until anyone of the grand children decides to follow uoir Footstep in that manner

Your wife and children can bear any of your three names as surname, so far the name appears in one of your three names

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by NoToPile: 9:47am On Mar 24, 2022
But why are people towing this lane these days is there a specific reason for that?

I believe there's a reason it's called a family name, it's what identifies the family members
In worst case scenerios use an hyphenated form, the first name of the man and the original surname, that way they will know the children are direct children of this particular son from that general family surname, even this should be in cases where it's needed.

E. G mike-Bamiloye, Felix-adejumo
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 10:50am On Mar 24, 2022
frozen70:

There is nothing wrong, absolutely nothing wrong if you want your children to bear your name as your surname

It's a good idea if your wife bears such name along with them

It's a way of identifying your own family and that's how your own lineage will grow bearing that name from generations to generations until anyone of the grand children decides to follow uoir Footstep in that manner

Your wife and children can bear any of your three names as surname, so far the name appears in one of your three names

Thanks for the insight, hope it won't obstruct anything on a long run, my wife, my children use my first name as surname.

I don't know if that person is lying but she told my woman that someone had problem about travelling or some sort because his family bears his own name as surname.

The person might be lying though, cos this is not topic people usually discuss or talk about.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Beremx(f): 11:04am On Mar 24, 2022
I don’t see it as an issue. Where I am worried is when your kids bear English name as surname instead of your indigenous name.
For instance, your name is Donald Ugochukwu Nwigwe. Instead of your kids to bear Ugochukwu as surname, they bear Donald. This is very rampant in Igbo land and it poses a threat to Igbo culture and identity.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Gloriagee(f): 12:22pm On Mar 24, 2022
What's your wife's opinion?
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by shantti(m): 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2022
simpleseyi:
This is Igbo's discussion. This discussion can never arise in a Yoruba family

Why??
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by shantti(m): 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2022
Why do u want ur kids and wife to bear ur name, is it ego or what, what is bad in your grandfather's name
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by frozen70(f): 8:07pm On Mar 24, 2022
schweinsteiger:

Thanks for the insight, hope it won't obstruct anything on a long run, my wife, my children use my first name as surname.

I don't know if that person is lying but she told my woman that someone had problem about travelling or some sort because his family bears his own name as surname.

The person might be lying though, cos this is not topic people usually discuss or talk about.

Of what relevance is it with to question any body why her husband chooses his name as surname

That's why I says your wife and children can bear any of your three names

I did not say they can bear your wife surnames
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 10:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
shantti:
Why do u want ur kids and wife to bear ur name, is it ego or what, what is bad in your grandfather's name

What's bad in my own name, why should they answer what i dont even know the meaning?
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by ImaIma1(f): 10:26am On Mar 26, 2022
NoToPile:
But why are people towing this lane these days is there a specific reason for that?

I believe there's a reason it's called a family name, it's what identifies the family members
In worst case scenerios use an hyphenated form, the first name of the man and the original surname, that way they will know the children are direct children of this particular son from that general family surname, even this should be in cases where it's needed.

E. G mike-Bamiloye, Felix-adejumo

It's less confusing that way. In fact in my place, we bear the family surname and bear our father's first name as our middle name. So every child has the same middle name. That way you can identify whose children we are.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Bobloco: 5:20pm On Mar 26, 2022
schweinsteiger:

What's bad in my own name, why should they answer what i dont even know the meaning?
But you beared the name
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 5:55pm On Mar 28, 2022
Bobloco:

But you beared the name

not my dealings, was on me even before i know anything
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Bobloco: 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
schweinsteiger:

not my dealings, was on me even before i know anything

Did the name stopped you from becoming what you ought to be in this life.
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 8:41pm On Mar 28, 2022
Bobloco:

Did the name stopped you from becoming what you ought to be in this life.

It did not, my children have to answer or bear what i or them understand.

1 Like

Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by Bobloco: 9:57pm On Mar 28, 2022
schweinsteiger:

It did not, my children have to answer or bear what i or them understand.

No problem but what ever name you want to pass down to them, let it be a native name
Re: Is This Naming On Family Pose As A Problem? My Name As Children/wife Surname? by schweinsteiger: 12:39am On Mar 29, 2022
Bobloco:

No problem but what ever name you want to pass down to them, let it be a native name

Definitely it's, I'm even thinking of getting rid of all English names but that would be selfish of me, knowing how our culture and language has been made to look useless.

(1) (Reply)

What Would U Do If U Gave Ur Mom Money To Buy U A Land & She Use It For Herself? / Son And Father Relationship / Personal Please take time, advice/help needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.