Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes (11413 Views)

Afghanistan: Taliban Ban Women From University Education With Immediate Effect / How We’ll Govern Afghanistan – Taliban / US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by NwaNimo1(m): 10:15pm On Mar 27, 2022
BBC TV programming has been taken off air in Afghanistan, after the Taliban ordered local channels not to broadcast content from international partners.

Calling it a "worrying development", the BBC said it would affect more than six million viewers of Persian, Pashto and Uzbek language service programmes.

The BBC Persian TV channel can still be accessed - but only by the 20% of Afghans who have satellite TV.

Radio and online services are unaffected.

Other international broadcasters whose programming was taken off air by the ruling include Voice of America, German company Deutsche Welle and China Global Television Network.

BBC World Service head of languages Tarik Kafala said it was crucial Afghans were not denied access to impartial journalism at a time of "uncertainty and turbulence".

"We call on the Taliban to reverse their decision and allow our TV partners to return the BBC's news programmes to their airwaves immediately," he added.

Taliban backtrack on reopening schools for girls
The tragedy of Afghanistan's malnourished children
Before the ruling, the BBC had broadcast every day for half an hour in Pashto, via Afghan partner stations.

Similar arrangements allowed for 15 minutes of programming in Uzbek, five days a week, and for 60 minutes a day in Persian, also five days a week, backed by two weekly current affairs programmes.

Journalists beaten

Reporting from the Afghan capital, Kabul, BBC correspondent Secunder Kermani said the Taliban had insisted the media could report critically, "as long as they bear 'Islamic values' and 'national unity' in mind".

However, reporters have at times been detained or beaten as a result of their coverage and many Afghan journalists fled the country after the group took power last year.

Our correspondent said the latest move appeared to be part of an intensifying authoritarian trend. It came days after the Taliban reversed a decision to allow girls' secondary schools to re-open.

On Sunday, the group decreed that men and women would be allocated separate days of the week to visit parks around Kabul.

The Taliban regained control of the country last August, 20 years after being ousted, as the remaining Western troops and diplomats left.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60893054

2 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Abboki: 2:04am On Mar 28, 2022
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Abboki: 2:05am On Mar 28, 2022
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Abboki: 2:05am On Mar 28, 2022
in case
maybe
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by nautybride: 2:05am On Mar 28, 2022
This ones na Dem Sabi. We get ours for body!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by seunaj: 2:05am On Mar 28, 2022
The West have totally lost it. The world is finally free from the self-acclaimed western policing as its now clear that they are toothless propagandist.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by largeman4u(m): 2:06am On Mar 28, 2022
Na wah
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by LongwayGone2021: 2:06am On Mar 28, 2022
Okay
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Rubbiish(m): 2:07am On Mar 28, 2022
If only Abraham had waited on God & not allowed himself to be misled by Sarah, we wouldn't be reading this.

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by IPIGSRDOTARDS: 2:07am On Mar 28, 2022
So the British and other Europeans can ban the Russian channel but Afghanistan can't ban whatever they don't want?
Ok, we don hear. Hypocrisy all over the world.

Our blodas in AfghanEastern have learned very well from these Afgan terrorists, they both want everyone to stay home.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Homiesjinxbank: 2:10am On Mar 28, 2022
You no lie brother.. smiley

Rubbiish:
If only Abraham had waited on God & not allowed himself to be misled by Sarah, we wouldn't be reading this.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by harmony75: 2:11am On Mar 28, 2022
This people don't respect human rights with their evil religion Islam it must not be exposed to the world.

12 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Maxymilliano(m): 2:11am On Mar 28, 2022
I hope the people will rise up someday and say no to the Taliban's

6 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by sapientia(m): 2:12am On Mar 28, 2022
calcal:
Good for Afghanistan, the propaganda machine should be stopped.

The same people that are banning Russian culture now complaining

Get a Visa to Afgan to enjoy yourself

Free from western propaganda

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by calcal: 2:12am On Mar 28, 2022
Good for Afghanistan, the propaganda machine should be stopped.

The same people that are banning Russian culture now complaining

3 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Nova1988(m): 2:24am On Mar 28, 2022
harmony75:
This people don't respect human rights with their evil religion Islam it must not be exposed to the world.

we Muslims despise the Taliban and we don't consider them to be Muslims, even the Afghans hate them too. it's not nice to call other people's religions and beliefs evil.

Bleep the Taliban and all other useless extremists.

4 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by babajero(m): 2:24am On Mar 28, 2022
IPIGSRDOTARDS:
So the British and other Europeans can ban the Russian channel but Afghanistan can't ban whatever they don't want?

Our blodas in AfghanEastern have learned very well from these Afgan terrorists, they both want everyone to stay home.
Why are you arguing with yourself.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by calcal: 2:25am On Mar 28, 2022
sapientia:

If Afgan is the one stealing our resources in Nigeria then I will go there to enjoy part of my resources.

9 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by BigBashiru: 2:37am On Mar 28, 2022
NwaNimo1:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60893054

If you have read my comments on this forum you would know that I'm calling for bbc to be banned in africa. They are responsible for colonial brainwashing of Africans. BBC Hausa was set up around 1960 when the British were forced through soviet pressure to recognize Nigerias independence.... they have set up bbc hausa yoruba and pidgin not because they love you but because they want to control you.

Bbc is currently banned in Rwanda, was/is banned in Zimbabwe and France rfi and co is banned in mali....

Africans take charge of your destiny and don't let the uncivilized western European savages control you thru their media

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by 96ACE: 2:38am On Mar 28, 2022
grin
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by gambojimeta: 2:41am On Mar 28, 2022
grin

Of course, BBC doesn't show videos of beheadings of people of other religious faith neither do they show flogging of people in public.

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by uuzba(m): 2:44am On Mar 28, 2022
HMM. This one, I no fit talk again.
BBC used to be the news standard. I've listened to BBC radio off and on all through childhood.
I took a break in the 2000s.
Now with the demise of SW radio, the rise of cheap data and internet, I don't even want to listen to BBC online again.
Their news now has format.
1, 2, 3, gay. 1,2, 3, lesbian. 1,2,3.gay..
-
Like joke, like joke. Na the only thing them dey carry for head now.
It was neve like this in the past. They are now full of left wing extremists.

7 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Powersurge: 2:53am On Mar 28, 2022
They are gradually showing their ugly heads. Ban girls from school snd now media.

1 Like

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by uuzba(m): 2:57am On Mar 28, 2022
Maxymilliano:
I hope the people will rise up someday and say no to the Taliban's
The people and their leadership are usually the same.
That's why Putin remains in Russia, Kim Un remains in North Korea, Biden in US and Nigeria keep having the kind of people we have, running the nation downwards.

9 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Nobody: 3:05am On Mar 28, 2022
Afghanistan? God forbid...
Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by JooEeL(m): 3:06am On Mar 28, 2022
BBC DID NOT REPORT THE BIAFRAN GENOCIDE.

NEITHER HAVE THEY REPORTED THE HAVOC FULANI IS HEAPING ON ZOOGERIA. THEY WERE BLIND SEEING THE BANDITS TRYING TO GROUND THE KADUNA AND SOKOTO AIRPORT.

BRITISH BIASED CORPORATION. I CAN'T SIDE EXTREMISTS SUCH AS TALIBANS, NEVER. NEITHER DO I SIDE BBC. cool

NWANIMO1, I DOUBT YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN THE ZOO. wink

6 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by JooEeL(m): 3:08am On Mar 28, 2022
IPIGSRDOTARDS:

TALIBANS AND FULANI TERRORISTS, NO DIFF BRO.

STOP SHIFTING GOAL POST grin

6 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Lightorder: 3:11am On Mar 28, 2022
sapientia:

my brother, don’t mind that fraud you quoted. He is like saying that frog is good but he doesn’t eat it

3 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Lightorder: 3:16am On Mar 28, 2022
W
BigBashiru:

If you have read my comments on this forum you would know that I'm calling for bbc to be banned in africa. They are responsible for colonial brainwashing of Africans. BBC House was set up around 1960 when the British were forced through soviet pressure to recognize Nigerias independence.... they have set up bbc hausa yoruba and pidgin not because they love you but because they want to control you.

Bbc is currently banned in Rwanda, was/is banned in Zimbabwe and France rfi and co is banned in mali....

Africans take charge of your destiny and don't let the uncivilized western European savages control you thru their media
which destiny? Oga , the fake destiny you are hallucinating about is with the Chinese now, cheaply handed over to them by yourselves. Let me ask , did the white ask you not to have sense ?

9 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Winters23: 3:17am On Mar 28, 2022
I wish buhari can ban those trouble makers with their useless bbc hausa, piggin and other useless vehicles of propaganda

2 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Taliban Bars BBC TV Programmes by Masterito(m): 3:18am On Mar 28, 2022
The only thing that gets me angry is that you will be the first to cry for the west when your country is in trouble.
IPIGSRDOTARDS:

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ursula Von Der Leyen: We Strongly Condemn Russia's Attack On Ukraine / Nelson Mandela Is Dead? / Barack Obama's Speech At The DNC 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.