Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,609 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow (11479 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 29, 2022
immortalcrown:
Paranoidfellow indeed. Good luck. You get anger issue joor. Na de man put rice for fire for your house abi na him you follow dey talk when de rice burn? Him provoke you for school you carry de vex go house. Na your type go punish your spouse for offense wey colleague commit for office.

So, what exactly are you driving at you point pls?
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by bonnyhope: 1:48pm On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:
It actually a not so funny story.

So I worked at a private school 8am - 2pm for a pay of 17k monthly. I was employed to work as an Agric and Economics teacher. Payment is always prompt and I'm never owed a salary. Few weeks after I resumed, a teacher left and her subjects was distributed to other teachers. Hence, I am taking 3 subjects now. The teacher that left was also a class teacher of JSS1.

Fast forward to today, after exams where the class teacher will be collating scores, I was told I will henceforth be the class teacher of Jss1 which I outrightly reject. The proprietor was called upon and to quote him, he said ' Authoritatively I'm making you the class of JSS1" and I replied that I reject it.

I got home angrily and hungrily, I put a cup of rice on fire and I called a colleague of mine on whatsapp and was discussing the issue with her. I got carried away and the pot of rice was extremely burnt.

In the bid to remove the pot from fire, not thinking straight, I took the 'new school sport wear' (a cloth we were forced to buy for 6k and the money will be deducted from our salary) that I left hanging in the dining room, outside minded I use the cloth to carry the hot burnt pot of rice.

The result has being attached.

I'm walking to the man tomorrow to terminate my appointment immediately and pay me my remaining salary!

I don't joke with my mental health

I was once in your shoe, although mine was SS3 class, being a class teacher is a whole lot of work, you are responsible for every student in that class, their behaviour, their performances in class the most tedious part of it is you are to collate and prepare their results at the end of terms. I was also taking Chemistry and Mathematics

However, I never got tired, I was patient and Las Las, I resigned honorably after getting another job

I would advise you to be patient while you pray and search for your desired place.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by bluefilm: 1:50pm On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:
[s]It actually a not so funny story.So I worked at a private school 8am - 2pm for a pay of 17k monthly. I was employed to work as an Agric and Economics teacher. Payment is always prompt and I'm never owed a salary. Few weeks after I resumed, a teacher left and her subjects was distributed to other teachers. Hence, I am taking 3 subjects now. The teacher that left was also a class teacher of JSS1.Fast forward to today, after exams where the class teacher will be collating scores, I was told I will henceforth be the class teacher of Jss1 which I outrightly reject. The proprietor was called upon and to quote him, he said ' Authoritatively I'm making you the class of JSS1" and I replied that I reject it.I got home angrily and hungrily, I put a cup of rice on fire and I called a colleague of mine on whatsapp and was discussing the issue with her. I got carried away and the pot of rice was extremely burnt.In the bid to remove the pot from fire, not thinking straight, I took the 'new school sport wear' (a cloth we were forced to buy for 6k and the money will be deducted from our salary) that I left hanging in the dining room, outside minded I use the cloth to carry the hot burnt pot of rice.The result has being attached.I'm walking to the man tomorrow to terminate my appointment immediately and pay me my remaining salary!I don't joke with my mental health[/s]

This is bullshit_ !!!
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by zicoraads: 1:51pm On Mar 29, 2022
Teaching has suffered on Nairaland. cheesy

Instead of you lot to insist on not working in schools where they turn you to slaves, you'll take the jobs, then after a while, create a thread on NL, complaining and telling us about your sufferings.

Meanwhile there are a lot of schools in Abuja and Lagos and Kano and Port Harcourt etc., who start salaries with nothing less than 100k and they employ every day.

Na una sabi sha.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 29, 2022
A time is coming in Nigeria, where there would be no qualified Teachers to train our kids.

Teachers are the most neglected, hated and used civil servants. And heaven help you if you end up in a private school. They will drain all you have without trying to equip or invest in you. grin
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by IamSalt: 1:54pm On Mar 29, 2022
grin

2014 to 2016, I thought 2 subjects in a private secondary school, I was taking JSS 1 to SSS 3 one of the two subjects and JSS 1 to JSS 3 the other subject, total of 9 classes.
The school examination questions were WAEC standed where you prepare 60 objectives and 5 or more essay questions without repetition and/or true/false answers.

I compiled over 585 questions every term and mark over 16 thousand answers termly. I still have other duties aside the class duties.

I was paid 11,880 naira monthly
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by jericco1(m): 1:57pm On Mar 29, 2022
17k?
Let me not brag but that won't feed me in week.
However bro. It is a good thing you come to that decision, however before you do, make sure you have something else doing.

I remember when I was receiving 8k as salary.
I was still devoted, however opportunities came knocking right left and centre, I even rejected a 35k job.
Don't know what came over me.
Well in the coming weeks after that I got a better offer.

Now here is my 2cents.
You should be open minded and ready to dialogue and if you're that good, chances will definitely come your way.
Shalom.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by AsiwajuJagaban: 2:03pm On Mar 29, 2022
zicoraads:

Instead of you lot to insist on not working in schools where they turn you to slaves, you'll take the jobs, then after a while, create a thread on NL, complaining and telling us about your sufferings.

Meanwhile there are a lot of schools in Abuja and Lagos and Kano and Port Harcourt etc., who start salaries with nothing less than 100k and they employ every day.

Na una sabi sha.
Coming from an aboki that tutors in the deep trenches of Niger state, where pupils use log of wood as seat

Because na you build the schools keep for Abj & Ph..

Do your teaching in peace... No blackmail anybody
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by murtalaa(m): 2:09pm On Mar 29, 2022
17k a month WTF! I hope you get a better job. If we have employers of labour here, please help this fellow.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Jamesbiodun(m): 2:19pm On Mar 29, 2022
The last paragraph is hilarious grin... Sorry OP better offer coming soon
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by ntipro: 2:21pm On Mar 29, 2022
Teaching work has no future in Naija abegi
In one of the schools I taught in Enugu, they pay 70k still teachers are quiting or sacked everyday. Fear any private school that makes it compulsory for staff members to live inside school. They will insult you, treat you like a slave and no matter how hard working you are, they will look for how to paint you black. I don't advice anyone I love to go into teaching.
If you have way to do, go into business.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Gunayo(m): 2:31pm On Mar 29, 2022
Which subjects are you good at so that l can help with a better offer. Don't forget to state the state of residence.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by membranus: 2:41pm On Mar 29, 2022
Dialpad:
Start something meaningful, there lots of opportunities online

For example?
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by membranus: 2:47pm On Mar 29, 2022
IamSalt:
grin

2014 to 2016, I thought 2 subjects in a private secondary school, I was taking JSS 1 to SSS 3 one of the two subjects and JSS 1 to JSS 3 the other subject, total of 9 classes.
The school examination questions were WAEC standed where you prepare 60 objectives and 5 or more essay questions without repetition and/or true/false answers.

I compiled over 585 questions every term and mark over 16 thousand answers termly. I still have other duties aside the class duties.

Nigerian private business employers are slavedrivers with no human compassion. Their only interest is how to exploit their staff to enrich their lives.

Wicked people everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by purpleicious(f): 2:53pm On Mar 29, 2022
Uhhhh, please take it easy on yourself;if others tell you their experiences in the office, you would agree yours is good.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by VTJN(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2022
Gunayo:
Which subjects are you good at so that l can help with a better offer. Don't forget to state the state of residence.
This wasn't intended or directed to me. I'm sincerely sorry to have abruptly come to your mention. Please sir I'm out of job, don't mind if you could help me.

I studied Geography and Regional planning,. Graduated with a strong 2.1

I'm also a good tutor. I can take Geography, Economics, English and Agric science.

Someone should please come to my aid. I'm so exhausted hunting for job with no success

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by AgentGoat: 3:06pm On Mar 29, 2022
Vaughanlanrewaj:
@ OP, I think, like your moniker, you are getting paranoid and you allowed things to spiral out of your control.
Even if you quit tonight,I guarantee you that the school will still continue. You handle children and you can do better with your emotion.
Next time, instead of repeating your negative "I reject it", you can politely request for a meeting where you can ask for the extra tasks you may have to undertake and if there is monetary compensation that comes with it.

If you are a committed teacher, you will take that opportunity and prove that you are competent.
I will not encourage you to listen to anyone making you feel that your pay is horrible, it is money earned legitimately which comes with its own blessings. It does not give you the opportunity to disrespect your employer.
Like I always tell my people, the way you exit an organization is even more important than how you joined the organization.Things are changing and you will be shocked that if you leave in a disrespectful and unprofessional manner,it could later cost you in the future wink

You need to be calming down and if there are serious issues on your mind, seek help on them. These your reasons are not a big deal. Take up the extra task and help those young fellas if you are truly a teacher(Guru as Indians affectionately regard teachers).
As time goes on, more opportunities will come your way, if you struggle to always go or do extra, you will be regarded as mediocre,especially in highly competivie high paying environment.

Dubious one man business noted. Get dafuvka out of here! How can a fully grown up man be earning that kind of pay with excess workload in 2022. Don't go back to that school again. If na teaching jobs you dey find there are better ones.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Slimdaddy27(m): 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2022
ProDigitals:
Come work with/for me

Get a chance to work and earn 50,000 Naira by just working from home every month

Offering :

Earn 50,000 Naira writing articles working from home

This project is flexible for full time workers. Just 3-4 hours of work activity per day is all you need to do this

Hurry up and apply today

Send in your application via WhatsApp to 0-7-0-5-4-0-1-1-4-5-4

It's strictly on first come,first serve basis..

Good Luck

There was I time I applied,I never got a response from you
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Aystarz: 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2022
AgentGoat:

Dubious one man business noted. Get dafuvka out of here! How can a fully grown up man be earning that kind of pay with excess workload in 2022. Don't go back to that school again. If na teaching jobs you dey find there are better ones.

The one you quoted there is a BMC na. You can always tell by their fruits..

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by eniorisha(m): 3:11pm On Mar 29, 2022
I am a teacher & rarely av anger issue too. But i do not go home with nor transfer my anger. I expend all mine @ d spot. I nearly beat our V.P 1, a senior Anglican priest who threatened me with sacking on top 12k salary as PTA a teacher in a public sch, though we r allowed to hustle part time elsewhere. That time, even till now, d sch is still owing me 17k. This time around, i feel it's d principal of d sch dt will receive d beating. He earns 100k plus & other pecks, yet misappropriating PTA fund meant for we 12k earners under him. Now, March & April stipend is in d cloud.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Slimdaddy27(m): 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2022
Dialpad:
Start something meaningful, there lots of opportunities online

Interested please
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Nwaotu10(m): 3:33pm On Mar 29, 2022
If you've a laptop and stay within Anambra or imo, DM me.
I will teach you a skill that could be paying you 100k or more than monthly.
Teaching is modern slavery.
I'm a professional teacher, but I quitted the profession 3years ago.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by BrutusOj(m): 4:15pm On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:

Thank you very much. One of the reason I posted it, to wonder if I'm on the right or just overthinking the issue. I can stay but I won't take up the extra work. I really appreciate your input and I see things from another point of view. I mean it, your words had an impact and I'm grateful for that.
Take the OP' advice. How do you acquire experience if you turn down every extra task(s) given to you. Like he rightly said, this could be opportunity to propel you to a higher height. You could have politely requested for a pay rise for the additional task given to you while you learn on the job.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by LollySeaSide: 4:23pm On Mar 29, 2022
Kylekent59:
I hope you don't go hungry after you have exhausted your savings. Look for another job.
Savings from 17k a month?
Where on Earth is that possible?
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by shantti(m): 4:56pm On Mar 29, 2022
IamSalt:
grin

What!!!!!!!
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Herbephe1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2022
my own salary nah 10k . If I were to put down my ordeal, you would be thankfull
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by ProDigitals: 5:10pm On Mar 29, 2022
Slimdaddy27:

There was I time I applied,I never got a response from you

Sometimes i get overwhelmed managing 30 people. Fatigue
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Gunayo(m): 5:22pm On Mar 29, 2022
VTJN:
This wasn't intended or directed to me. I'm sincerely sorry to have abruptly come to your mention. Please sir I'm out of job, don't mind if you could help me.

I studied Geography and Regional planning,. Graduated with a strong 2.1

I'm also a good tutor. I can take Geography, Economics, English and Agric science.

Someone should please come to my aid. I'm so exhausted hunting for job with no success
How l wish l can be of help to you but l am looking for a music and lct teacher. Salary is attractive and accommodation is attached.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Mkayfrenzy(m): 5:34pm On Mar 29, 2022
zicoraads:

Na una sabi sha.
Abeg if you Sabi any school name. I'll be interested in applying
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Aystarz: 5:39pm On Mar 29, 2022
Herbephe1:
my own salary nah 10k . If I were to put down my ordeal, you would be thankfull

10k and you sit down there like one whose future is doomed!

My brother, have you any respect for your own self?
Jeez!!

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by freesoul12: 6:23pm On Mar 29, 2022
Bro, go learn beta I.T skills. I wont charge my client 17k per work.. Talkless of a month
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2022
Please try to work on your anger for now okay...i teach as well and i know what you are going through infact i was facing same i was taking 4 classes for 10k until i got sick and spent 6k to treat myself...if you see me en you will pity me,i had to complain and right now i am recieving 18k but i am not still satisfied...i want to leave the school and try somewhere else for now...i used my salary money to get a laptop and a printer to start a side business and maybe learn graphic design during weekends...it took me a year to save i barely have clothes self but i don't want to depend on anybody...i go hustle oh infact after this 3rd term i will stop teaching...cos i would have gotten what i want then,na to focus on how to start up my business.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You Work With Someone That Pilfers / The Role Of Nurses In The Nigerian Healthcare System / When Is The Right Time To Take A Career Break?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.