Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,030 members, 7,814,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? (578 Views)

Hubby Is Jalous Because Our Children Can Speak My Language Better / Am 19 And Want To Live Like A Man. What Should I Do? / Is There Still Hope For Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Ninetails: 7:23am On Mar 29, 2022
Sorry Elder ones, am not good at English.
I was born in the northern part of Nigeria, in Kano Air Force Barrack. So I grew up Learning to speak only English And Hausa. Am a marghi by tribe but that's not the problem. The thing is I wasn't thought to speak my language. I wasn't even taken to the village several times or stay long when I was a kid. Now that I have grown a little, I realized that not learning my language makes me somehow incomplete. I also thought of how will my own children learn their language?.......
Anyway my main question here is that......is there a way I can still learn my language? If yes please drop suggestion.
Thank You All.
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Blaqroman0000: 7:26am On Mar 29, 2022
Yes
Firstly... Making friends with people that frequently speak the language

1 Like

Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by yanabasee(m): 7:34am On Mar 29, 2022
Yes you can.... Ensure that you go to the village during holidays and spend alot of times there ... Gradually, you will begin to flow. You might not be fluent with it but you will be able to keep up with a good conversation....

Same thing happened to me... But my language people too deh form English speakers for town.....
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 29, 2022
Yes you can. * you are still very young.
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Ninetails: 8:48am On Mar 29, 2022
Blaqroman0000:
Yes
Firstly... Making friends with people that frequently speak the language
Ok. I have 2 friends they often speak.... But the other one is like he don't even want me to learn. While the other say he will teach me some if school resume
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Ninetails: 8:50am On Mar 29, 2022
yanabasee:
Yes you can.... Ensure that you go to the village during holidays and spend alot of times there ... Gradually, you will begin to flow. You might not be fluent with it but you will be able to keep up with a good conversation....

Same thing happened to me... But my language people too deh form English speakers for town.....

Ok. When I go to the village..... If I speak English (even the broken one). Some will say the boy is brilliant, some say he brags, some say other things.
But I'll try and look for someone who can teach me.
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Ninetails: 8:50am On Mar 29, 2022
IamBabsjnr:
Yes you can.
you are still very young.
Of course am young..... And I hope I'll one-day Speak Fluently
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 29, 2022
Travel to your village., Spend a year there and thank me later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Ninetails: 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2022
Mercychen:
Travel to your village., Spend a year there and thank me later.
Ok but am schooling..... But now no school so I come to spend a week there
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 29, 2022
Ninetails:

Ok but am schooling..... But now no school so I come to spend a week there

ok. try to speak only your language throughout your stay there.

good luck.
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 9:02pm On Mar 29, 2022
This is the case of many igbo people
Re: Am 19 Is There Still Hope For Me To Learn My Language? by VirileNelly2420: 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
Ninetails:
Sorry Elder ones, am not good at English.
I was born in the northern part of Nigeria, in Kano Air Force Barrack. So I grew up Learning to speak only English And Hausa. Am a marghi by tribe but that's not the problem. The thing is I wasn't thought to speak my language. I wasn't even taken to the village several times or stay long when I was a kid. Now that I have grown a little, I realized that not learning my language makes me somehow incomplete. I also thought of how will my own children learn their language?.......
Anyway my main question here is that......is there a way I can still learn my language? If yes please drop suggestion.
Thank You All.
U need to first of all find love with ur language... Dat wuld create enough interest that will guide u along.
Have lots of ur language songs on ur play list.
Mingle with someone da speaks ur language. Or find someone to b teaching u, small small u will learn.

Ha, people study Chinese nd french nd learn dem. So I believe u can learn.

I have a cousin da was born n brought up in Lag... Amongst his siblings, he's d only one dat can understand our local language. He found love wit it, plays our local songs alot. Asks questions. Now he can hear most of our language, but can't speak like dat. But he continues to learn. He's '20

(1) (Reply)

Wife Built House And The Husband Rents It For The Family Unknowingly / Am Just Tired Of Life / LG Express Cool Fridge For Sale 08140857737

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.