Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Experience Working For A One Man Business (22396 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by officialsaw01(m): 2:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
Let's do business together!!!

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by tomzyELNINO: 2:54pm On Mar 30, 2022
englishmart:
I know more than 3,000 people that earn around 10-12k monthly. 10k that I stomach in 30-minutes.
Nigerian owned companies are ruthless, careless, heartless and stagnating. I rather depend on bet9ja than to stagnate my life working in a bar.
angry angry

AND the same 10k, you lose in 30 minutes
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by icedsammy: 2:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Did one late last year.
The Man started sweet talking me into sweeping as part of my duty�
i was like i didn't apply as a sweeper fa and he started telling me stories of his humble beginnings just to win me over

I did one month and Japa.

2 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Rilwayne001: 2:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
aspabay:

A clear case of what happens every day at ICST Solution Ikoyi

Hmmm
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Thobby02lawbar(f): 2:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
Story of my life.. I'm tired of this job. I'm the only one doing 5 people's job. I applied as an editor. I've been juggling from being an editor to a publisher to a dispatch rider. Now I'm being asked to double task as a marketer again. I now practically walk about looking for who will publish or print with us because we just acquired a D. I machine.

Ibadan isn't a city for proper white collar job at all but we just have to manage the 30k salary since I can never sell my body

6 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Ekg911(m): 2:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
englishmart:
I know more than 3,000 people that earn around 10-12k monthly. 10k that I stomach in 30-minutes.
Nigerian owned companies are ruthless, careless, heartless and stagnating. I rather depend on bet9ja than to stagnate my life working in a bar.
angry angry
any online update help me ooh bro
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by airsaylongcome: 3:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
My first two jobs were with one man businesses.

Both of whom had never worked for someone else. But there were very excellent business owners and crafted my career path. Both were highly disciplined and very open about the financials especially when we had cash flow problems. They were tough o. Very tough and ruthless business men. But they were very professional. Both very intelligent. And I agreed to work with the 2nd of them because he was very similar to the first.

My third one man employer was a nightmare but the memories of the first two still make me optimistic about single owner businesses. Any business man that makes decisions based on actionable Business Intelligence will win me any day. Those who make emotional decisions are outright useless

2 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by limcar: 3:04pm On Mar 30, 2022
Starz825:
Abeg no go there abeg...
One man business..
Chai
I suffer for their hands...
Though I am currently working with a private licensed NIMC company ..we do enrollment and validation of NIN and any other related stuffs..

But you see the other one I dey for 2018.
Omoo..even with my suit on ...I go carry plate inside nylon go buy Amala for oga from ogba to area F ..
Guy.. shame no dey gree me...
To make matter worse..the bossman sef na narcist..go dey shout .. everybody go dey shake if he don enter office... every Monday I go carry him clothes go wash man office..
Always finding my trouble in particular..cos me no dey always one gree for am...
One day like that...na him make me vex finish patapata ..
I overheard him when He was on call with his wife...I think the wife asked him if she can bring his food with her car (they stay around abule egba )..he said no that he doesn't want her to risk her life coming down to ogba that he will send me...he dropped the call ...called me..told me to take a bike that can run faster than the speed of sound to bring his food...
I just shake my head say oh na me make I come die because of your food but you don't want your wife to risk her life bringing your food with her car oo...
Omooo..I resign...he shock...I couldn't just contain of all his shit abeg...
I needed to leave...

Months after I left ..I met with our secretary at the time..she told me after I left the man told them I was his worst employee...I lafffff...I told her he was equally the worst bossman I have ever met with...
They always think you can't leave maybe because they feel there are no jobs out there...
And most of them are fetish..
lol. errand boy
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Tapout(m): 3:06pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

I resigned from my job 8 months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake.

When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves.

As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response , "if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then?" Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

Godspeed. I believe it's just a phase that will pass.
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Starz825(m): 3:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
limcar:
lol. errand boy
Guy
It was more or less abeg
My first job after nysc though
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by ajayiopy: 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

I resigned from my job 8 months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake.

When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves.

As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response , "if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then?" Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

BABA YOU ARE IN THAT OFFICE TO GAIN EXPERIENCE AND EXPOSURE. ONCE YOU GET THAT AND CONNECT WITH SOME OF YOUR OGA CUSTOMERS,START LOOKING FOR PEOPLE THAT WILL INVEST IN YOU AND PRAYERFUL FOR GOD'S DIRECTION.
THIS IS 21ST CENTURY NOBODY DEY WORK FOR ANYBODY FOR LONG AGAIN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by edosignature(m): 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
Your write up is highly insightful... Thanks for sharing.

We cast aspersion on the Asians, Indians, Lebanese & the Chinese for their in human behavior to Nigerians working with/for them, but the evil Nigerians do to fellow Nigerians working for/with them is so disheartening.

Most Nigeria business owner see/threat their workers as slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by socialmediaman: 3:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by bluefilm: 3:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

Kai.

A 1.5 odd steady win on a daily basis on bet9ja can save you from all these wahala.

But then, most people don't know how to work smart.

They'd rather work harder.

It's a pity.
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by ElValiente(m): 3:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

Hmm
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
englishmart:
angry angry

Absolute truth, I know of some Guards who are being employed by security agencies. They currently earns 10k-12k monthly Max. And from my underground Investigation and classified Information, The real amount The Clients are paying to the Agencies per each guard Is around 50k-60k. I'll stop here......

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Goldbw122(m): 3:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

That your boss is a wicked boss sent from hell.. don't worry this is the kind of boss you will see working down the street and asking for help and at that time you will be a rich man
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by fapis2003: 3:54pm On Mar 30, 2022
Are you still looking for work?
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by BigBashiru: 4:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thobby02lawbar:
Story of my life.. I'm tired of this job. I'm the only one doing 5 people's job. I applied as an editor. I've been juggling from being an editor to a publisher to a dispatch rider. Now I'm being asked to double task as a marketer again. I now practically walk about looking for who will publish or print with us because we just acquired a D. I machine.

Ibadan isn't a city for proper white collar job at all but we just have to manage the 30k salary since I can never sell my body

What if you sold your body to me on a permanent one off sale also known as marriage??
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by kernniejay(m): 4:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

One man business na Slavery business in Nigeria. Better be a shoe cobbler than slave for a man and receive abuse everyday just for penny.
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by bsalawu: 4:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he
eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.

Guy or girl, pls come work with me if you can. I need this energy. If you are on the mainland that’s excellent. Come use your skills I need the hustle spirit I smell in you. I’m into Real Estate and have about 5 Estate at the moment. I need someone we can work together. Send me your number! Let’s talk

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by bcbones: 4:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
Jheypeel:
This is so relatable

For a moment I thought I knew the guy cause the scenario was too real
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Ramisake: 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
see below
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Aystarz: 4:35pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thobby02lawbar:

Pele.

30k can still count for something out there in Ibadan, as the cost of living isn't as crazy as it is down here in Lagos.
I have an aunt there who still makes her soups with 1k. But here? Madness everywhere!
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Thobby02lawbar(f): 4:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Aystarz:

Pele.

30k can still count for something out there in Ibadan, as the cost of living isn't as crazy as it is down here in Lagos.
I have an aunt there who still makes her soups with 1k. But here? Madness everywhere!

Maybe that's what you heard but I must tell you that tales isn't true. My house rent alone is 100k. Single room o. I live around Sango to Mokola just behind gtb.. To cook a pot of soup with protein will cost me nothing less than 2000 on a managing level o..

It's not what you think man!

2 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Advancedman(m): 4:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

I have been there before, Naija one man business na big time slavery especially service providers.

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Thobby02lawbar(f): 4:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
BigBashiru:

What if you sold your body to me on a permanent one off sale also known as marriage??
grin grin grin grin

I hear u Mr. Bashiru
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by STONEUS: 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
bsalawu:

Guy or girl, pls come work with me if you can. I need this energy. If you are on the mainland that’s excellent. Come use your skills I need the hustle spirit I smell in you. I’m into Real Estate and have about 5 Estate at the moment. I need someone we can work together. Send me your number! Let’s talk

In need of Architectural designs?
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by STONEUS: 5:01pm On Mar 30, 2022
bsalawu:

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by bsalawu: 5:02pm On Mar 30, 2022
STONEUS:

No Sir.

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Aystarz: 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thobby02lawbar:

Maybe that's what you heard but I must tell you that tales isn't true. My house rent alone is 100k. Single room o. I live around Sango to Mokola just behind gtb.. To cook a pot of soup with protein will cost me nothing less than 2000 on a managing level o..

It's not what you think man!

100k for house rent in Sango/Mokola Wow! Even Agbowo apartments didn't command that much years ago. This inflation has indeed gone full circle. So where does one then turn if/when Lagos and Ogun become too hot to survive?
It's really hard to believe Dear Ibadan, too, has gone wack! These politicians will kill us in here.

Take heart, Sister.. Hang in there.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Quit My N2k Job Per Day To Start Riding Keke / BUA Announces 50% Salary Increment For Staff / Microsoft 70-410 new Exam dumps ( Exam Questions and Answers) (2016)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.