Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

The Ghost In Our Compound - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Ghost In Our Compound (2861 Views)

The Ghost Boy And The Female Teacher (Episode 1) / My Mom Planted This Soursop Plant In Our Compound. / Ghost Of The Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2022
***The Ghost In Our Compound***

Not all our population are normal humans, there’s a handful of spiritual beings we interact with but think are just humans. Death is a stench. If you’re open to the metaphysical, you can literally perceive the stench of its impending presence around someone or a place.

Therefore, death doesn’t signify a finality. Life continues on the other side or planes of existence.

[An Excerpt]

Some years ago, my family and I once lived in Abeokuta, Ogun state capital.
The caretaker then in our former house on one Sunday evening, came with a quit notice letter while we happily watched one action movie in the living room. My mother met him outside and the conversation between them went thus:

“What have we done this time?” Asked mom when she was presented with the typed letter.
“Erm, nothing ma…” he paused.
“So?”
“It’s about the landlord.”
“What happened to him?” Mom queried speedily.

“Madam, he said he intends to renovate this building and put it out for sale,” announced the caretaker, Mr. Abiodun, father of two. He left when mom couldn’t say anything further.

That was just it! A quit notice because the house owner was probably tired of renting his house every year— and suddenly decided to sell the whole building. “He must have probably incurred a huge debt,” mom said. The news saddened us that we seemed to lost interest in the action filled movie. Mom sat thoughtfully on the sofa while we all stared lost at the tele.
Later at night, mom called Dad on phone—and informed him about the recent development.

This was happening mid July, and that was the season of rain. House hunting during this period was always a pain in the ass. We experienced it before and it was surely not an easy task. Personally, I hated rainy season — if not for anything, for always disrupting one’s planned activities. Well, that’s by the way.

A week later, we started house hunting. Abeokuta was quite a big City. Houses there were outrageous, unless you settled for the ones at rural areas. Some of them were still not affordable despite lacking power supply, adequate security and water supply. And we weren’t ready to settle for a low budget house. We equally involved few house agents around the town but they'd always end up taking us to one silly place that was totally out of site.

The search for a new apartment went on even when I returned back to Funaab for second semester. In less than five days after I resumed, I got a call from my younger brother; Femi, who happily informed me about the new apartment they eventually secured around Olomore. A storey building which had four flats; two bedroom flats each. The other three flats were occupied except the one they paid for: according to my brother who shared the story with me. He sounded excitedly and from his description of the new house, I felt like coming back home that week.

Mom called later in the evening and while we talked on phone, she said they had made the necessary arrangements; she had paid a painter to repaint the rooms which had been badly stained by the previous tenant. And they had equally packed out all the rubbish left in the house. Sunday evening was the day they planned to move in.

Hey! Sorry I didn’t even tell you about myself. My names are Adeola Olaniyi. A first year student at Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta. (FUNAAB). I'm the second child in the family of four. My father’s replica. I turned twenty one last month.

My mother lived with my siblings in Abeokuta except Toluwalase, the eldest. He was a serving corp member in Kaduna. My father was a member of the Nigeria Police Force. They kept transferring him from one state to another; Kwara, Abuja, Ebonyi and finally Adamawa where he stayed longer. He visited Abeokuta once in a blue moon and it had been long since his last visit.

Fast forward to Sunday, my family moved to the newly secured apartment. It was such a big burden lifted off my mother’s neck. I knew how bothered she had been ever since Mr. Abiodun came with the quit notice.

Now, finally out of high school, a bevy of opportunities suddenly sprang themselves on me. I was faced with the questions of what and how to study, what to participate in, how to fend myself, how to accomplish my goals, but a few to mention. After struggling with these monumental questions, I realized that nothing had really changed. I was still that same person I had always been but was only presented with much more opportunities and room to grow.

My first semester on campus was not as planned. I was really stressed. My days were filled with new experiences, excitements and challenges. The stress of registration was the first hurdle that pissed me off. After queuing on a long line for so long, at the end, I’d be faced with an abrupt end of the day’s registration exercise which was done was in a week. It happened repeatedly, so I abandoned the whole process and left it hanging till the end of the semester.

In summary, I’d say my first semester in FUNAAB was the period I learned time management, how to deal with people of different opinions and how to deal with unending assignments with so many choking deadlines. Mehnnn… e really choke.

Second semester was going smoothly not until ASUU came with their indecisive strike which disrupted school activities. It’s really pathetic how this union had made this a yearly tradition. Let's not talk about the nonchalant attitude the Federal Government had always showed towards education in this country. It's so pitiful.

I called my mom and informed her about the ongoing strike, she advised that I come back until it was over. A part of me wasn’t really happy but going back to see the new apartment was something that lightened up my mind. The way and manner Femi described it was epic.

On Friday morning, I left school for home. I informed Femi I was coming and he was able to text me the direction to our new apartment. He even waited at the gate when I told him I was closer. The moment he saw me on bike, he smiled broadly, it was really contagious, I smiled back at him. I climbed down and paid the bike man while Femi carried my black echolac bag on his head like one village boy.

When finally I stepped my feet inside the compound, I felt some kind cold shiver down my spine. It was unusual. My brother noticed I was startled for some seconds, he turned and asked if I was fine. “Yes, I’m fine.” I pretended like I felt nothing. I look round the compound, it was as quite as a graveyard. Everyone must have gone out to work: I assumed. Deep down I knew what I felt; just the same feeling when I visited a friend who lost her mother. It always felt so scary and comforting.

Femi lead the way, I followed behind him as he headed towards our supposed new apartment. It had a twisted staircases, and that was the first thing I noticed as Femi and I climbed the stairs. I was very conscious so I wouldn’t fall. I held the welded iron firmly but Femi was used to it, he climbed it with an ease.

Truth be told, the flat was worth all the hype I got from Femi. I headed straight to the bedroom and dropped my small bag beside my echolac bag which Femi had dropped at a corner of the first room. There was power supply, water was rushing too. So I took a cool bath and slept off minutes later while my brother was seeing a movie in the living room.

Later in the evening, mom and Olasile the youngest returned home from shop. Mom was happy to see her daughter again. She only complained and made jest of how I had lost noticeable weight. My siblings and I all laughed over the joke she made in Yoruba. She was that jovial type but sometimes she was strict.
I was excited seeing my family again. Though the new apartment felt so strange, i I knew it would only take days or perhaps weeks until I get used to it.

When it was late at night, sleep was far from my eyes. I knew it was as a result of the long siesta I had during the day. Everyone was fast asleep but there I was still up with my fully charged S9.
12:30am, I was still up trying to download movies I’d watch later in the day
Around 12:55am, I heard a slight knock on the door. My heart skipped a bit. A strange chilling breeze was slowing. I beeped through the window but there was no figure at sight. The knock came the second time, I waited to see if mom or my brothers would wake up but nobody seemed to hear the knock. Femi and I was in the same room while mom shared the other room with Olasile.

I did summoned courage. So, I walked straight to the door, opened it immediately. Shockingly, nobody was in sight I perceived a smell like a cooking beans. It felt like someone entered. Frightfully, I closed the door and bolted it firmly. My heart pounded so fast while I returned hastily to the bedroom.

I had just laid on the bed when I heard a strange whining of the kitchen door followed by light split of the utensils. I was gripped with fears. My hands quickly reached for the fluffy pillow, with it I placed hard on my head, blocking my ears from hearing any further unpleasant sound.

The pillow embroidered by my late grandmother’s loving hand, and so its thread is her good wishes for my onwards future. My hands were on the pillow and I was on that position before I eventually dozed off.

To be continued...
©️FrankWriter1

Drop comments if you want more.

Follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer
Twitter & IG: frankwriter1

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 31, 2022
Wow.

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by whalesbanks(m): 7:15am On Apr 01, 2022
The metaphysical exists truly but most don’t know or those that know thought is nothing important
Continue

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 9:18am On Apr 01, 2022
whalesbanks:
The metaphysical exists truly but most don’t know or those that know thought is nothing important
Continue

Yes. It does.

Thank you for engaging.
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 9:18am On Apr 01, 2022
Juliet751:
Wow.

Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed reading this
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 01, 2022
frankwriter:

Thanks.
Glad you enjoyed reading this
Ya welcome!
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by Lakesc: 10:50am On Apr 01, 2022
Seem interesting, following...

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 11:17am On Apr 01, 2022
Lakesc:
Seem interesting, following...

Yeah. It is.

Thank you for engaging.
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by MetaPhysical: 4:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
Will you all please saying metaphyscal. Its spamming my mention box.

Just say paranormal.

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 9:56am On Apr 02, 2022
MetaPhysical:
Will you all please saying metaphyscal. Its spamming my mention box.

Just say paranormal.

For real?
But you weren't tagged?
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2022
"wot d fu£k...i love it when it get scaring...now u are giviñg me horror episode just 4 me to sit-down well..boom ur torey just end...but i give it to u nice write up...come back and update us...cause i fit vex lol..??!!!

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2022
judinho07:
"wot d fu£k...i love it when it get scaring...now u are giviñg me horror episode just 4 me to sit-down well..boom ur torey just end...but i give it to u nice write up...come back and update us...cause i fit vex lol..??!!!

Lol... sorry for the suspense.
More details coming soon bro.
Thank you for engaging
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by MoneyGoDrop: 6:21am On Apr 04, 2022
Frankwriter you started a new story and you didn't mention me embarassed. Well I'm already enjoying it so it up the good work

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 8:08am On Apr 04, 2022
frankwriter:

Lol... sorry for the suspense. More details coming soon bro. Thank you for engaging
"u welcome man..so when are expecting new update
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 8:39am On Apr 04, 2022
judinho07:
"u welcome man..so when are expecting new update

Today. wink
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by Haakeem(m): 8:40am On Apr 04, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Frankwriter you started a new story and you didn't mention me embarassed. Well I'm already enjoying it so it up the good work
secondedangry

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2022
frankwriter:

Today. wink
"confirm??!!!

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 10:33pm On Apr 04, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:

Ahhh! My boss. Boss no vex abeg.
I didn't see your WhatsApp message again. cry
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 10:34pm On Apr 04, 2022
Haakeem:
secondedangry

Bosssss.

E ma bi nu oo�
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 10:34pm On Apr 04, 2022
judinho07:
"confirm??!!!

Yeahhhhhh.
Posting right away.
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 10:38pm On Apr 04, 2022
Part 2

Fair warning: reading this scary haunted story in the dark or by yourself is likely to keep you up all night. Or, at least send a chill down your spine—even if you consider yourself the bravest of the brave.
[Winks]

This part 2 was not properly edited. I apologize for any typos and grammatical errors.

The following day, I was the last to leave the bed. After our usual morning devotion which was lead by my mom. I asked her if she heard any strange sound the previous night, she replied in the negative—likewise my brothers who felt it was only but hallucination when I shared my ordeal. Mom said it was insomnia but I knew it was none of the above. I still kept my cool tho.

That morning, we went about our morning rituals, and not long my brothers were set for school. Femi was in Ss3 while Olasile was in Ss1.
Before 8:30am the house became empty. Mom left for shop while she expected me to show up later in the day after cleaning the house.

After having my breakfast of pap and beans. I had a short rest, after which I swept the bedrooms and the living room before getting mopping stick to do justice to the tiled floors . There was power supply which made it fun and easier for me. I was a lover and of music. So, I switched on the home theater. Oamide's studio album; Carpe Diem blasted from the speakers while I vibed to the beat. It didn’t take long before I finished the house cleaning.

Outside the gate, I went outside to buy sachet water at the nearest provision store nearby. I had just stepped outside the gate when I sighted something rather strange.
There was a man who wore a white Jalamia. He stood by the gate side when I stepped out but I couldn’t see his face.
He literally backed me but I was interested in seeing his face; there was blood on his face, and the back of his head was missing.

The more effort I made to see his face the more he walked away from the gate. He looked outwardly normal but progressively getting denser and darker. He didn’t reciprocate to all my efforts to see his face.
I was going to call a random name, just then I opened my eyes and realized I had been dreaming.

I had dozed off on the sofa after cleaning the house. The highly regulated ceiling fan had dried the sweats in my body. I wiped my face—yawning tiredly, I stepped out of the living room. Looking down the staircase, I sighted a young boy in the compound. He was probably eighteen or less. I was moved to ask him questions. I climbed down the twisted staircase carefully, else I’d fall. I was on red sleeveless and a short black skirt.

“Hello,” I called his attention politely. He turned but gave me that look that literally justify: “I don’t even know you.”
“I’m Femi's sister,” I added, as though I read his mind. He then walked close and loosened his already frowned face.

“Good morning,” he muttered.
“Good morning. You didn’t go to school?” I asked, feeling concerned.
“Yes.” He nodded head in affirmation.
“You are done with school?”
“No. We are on midterm break,” he replied.
“Oh! Okay.”

It was time to ask my thought provoking question. I coughed and when I cleared throat: “Erm, please don’t be offended, there’s something I want to ask you,” I paused.

“Okay. Go on.”
“Hope you don’t mind?”
“If it’s something I can give answer to.”
“Ok.”
“Yeah.”
“Um, please, the previous tenant that lived in our flat, do you know why they packed out?”

He was puzzled by my question. He looked up in the direction of our flat as if trying to remember their faces or something close. I can’t really say.
“Um, a certain man and his newly wedded wife was the last tenant in that flat before your family came in,” he broke the short silence.

“Ok. So, why did they pack out? Do you have any idea?” I queried.
I knew I was already asking much and seemed so inquisitive but I still didn’t care.
“Um, one day, we had light issue and someone had to check the pole for us. He offered to help, that was how he got electrocuted. And unfortunately, he wasn’t rushed to the hospital on time, so he died.” He broke the ugly news. I felt a cold shiver down my spine.

“The wife?” I asked.
“I can’t tell where she might be now. All I know was the day she packed out, she was accompanied by two random people.”

“Okay. Thank you so much.” I said thereafter.
“Hope there is no problem?”
“Not at all.” I left.

Later when I shared the story with my mom, she didn’t seemed bothered about the paranormal activities that haunted me that night. My mom would always be like 'after death judgment comes.'
"But you know soul is immortal and not something given to "a selected few" soul does not die but lives on after shading the physical body through the process called death." I paused. Mom turned and was shocked by my response.
"Yes. Death is not finality. It's just a stench. People still lived on even when are gone." I added to her discomfort. Sadly, mom shunned me never to bring up such discussion.

believed in the existence of ghosts which I felt was haunting our flat. Mom was a believer. She disbelieved such things exists perhaps existed.

Thus, the paranormal activities didn’t stop after that very night I came back. I’d always notice some strange things anytime I was home, like someone opening the door, unusual giggle, and the door getting slammed shut, gentle wind blowing across the room occasionally at night.
Most disturbing encounter— was the sound of knocks on the door but getting to the door, no one was always there and it would feel like someone entered. I can’t really explain some of these things that always got me frozen.

There was a time I was home alone watching TV at the living room. I had bent down to check something on my phone—and on turning my face up, I noticed the channel had been changed on its own accord. Damn! That was the most scary part of the psychological and emotional torments I faced within the few days in that apartment. Sometimes the room was filled with intoxicating fragrance of perfumery.

Even though I enjoyed the quietness and serenity of the new apartment, I found it less interesting. There was no friends who came visiting, too. I badly wished my mom or my brothers could feel a tip of what I had been seeing lately, but sh*t was just happening to me alone.

Unfortunately, ASUU is not even making any plans of calling off the strike any time soon. For real, I’m tired of this unending horrific activities in our compound.

Anytime I set my eyes on our flat from outside, there’s a way my head swells up and I’d want to stay outside but we are stuck in here because my family recently moved in and nobody is ready to start searching for a new apartment solely because of my so called “Hallucination” as my mother termed it. I don’t know when this will pass but truth is, I’m making plans to return back to school while I fake the news that the strike had been called off. Will she get to find out?

I don’t know if anyone out there had encountered ghost before. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Please share your experience(s) in the comment section.

Thank you, for engaging on my ghost story.
I'd like to read your comments.

Photo credit: Getty images
©️Franklin Chinonso Okoligan
All right reserved.

Twitter and IG: frankwriter1

Do well to like and follow my Facebook page for more stories.
Frank The Writer

#storyteller

2 Likes

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 10:43pm On Apr 04, 2022
If anyone had had any ghost experience, kindly share with us. We'd like to read your story too.

Thank y'all for engaging.

More stories coming soon.

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 11:25pm On Apr 04, 2022
frankwriter:

Yeahhhhhh. Posting right away.
"i'm in and ready bro??!!
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 11:46pm On Apr 04, 2022
"having a tin wit a ghost in real life...meh'n i have not and i don't intend to...abeg'ooo ghost keee...aaaarh i no fit oọoh...lol??!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 9:58am On Apr 05, 2022
judinho07:
"having a tin wit a ghost in real life...meh'n i have not and i don't intend to...abeg'ooo ghost keee...aaaarh i no fit oọoh...lol??!!!

Lol.
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 9:54pm On Apr 05, 2022
frankwriter:

Lol.
"factoa??!!
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by MoneyGoDrop: 11:01pm On Apr 06, 2022
Nice one frankwriter. Well ghosts i have never really encountered any but when i was in ss1 at the end of the first term,i was so sick that i was left in the hostel while all the other students were helping out in other part of the school. So i was left all alone in the hostel but i remembered i felt two people came and sat close to my head and when they started talking i remembered that they were completely different,like one was good and the other bad. There kept on arguing but i didn't join in their argument or open my eyes. Till date,i still feel goosebumps anytime i remembered that night because i never discovered the owners of those voices.

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 12:01am On Apr 09, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Nice one frankwriter. Well ghosts i have never really encountered any but when i was in ss1 at the end of the first term,i was so sick that i was left in the hostel while all the other students were helping out in other part of the school. So i was left all alone in the hostel but i remembered i felt two people came and sat close to my head and when they started talking i remembered that they were completely different,like one was good and the other bad. There kept on arguing but i didn't join in their argument or open my eyes. Till date,i still feel goosebumps anytime i remembered that night because i never discovered the owners of those voices.

Menhnn... that was scary.
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 9:32am On Apr 09, 2022
"hi frank hapi wknd..come and do wknd 4 us nah by updating new epịsode...waiting??!!!

1 Like

Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 8:45am On Apr 10, 2022
judinho07:
"hi frank hapi wknd..come and do wknd 4 us nah by updating new epịsode...waiting??!!!

Boss na there the story end oo.

Watch out for my new story

This one is going to be hot.
Rated 18+

It's dropping tomorrow(Monday).
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by judinho07(m): 9:53am On Apr 10, 2022
frankwriter:

Boss na there the story end oo.
Watch out for my new story
This one is going to be hot. Rated 18+
It's dropping tomorrow(Monday).
"hhmmm..i lyk dat...be waitịng..??!!!
Re: The Ghost In Our Compound by frankwriter(m): 11:24pm On Apr 10, 2022
judinho07:
"hhmmm..i lyk dat...be waitịng..??!!!

Anticipate.
!!

Tomorrow!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Anyone Suggest Some Erotic,d**k Rising Story On Nairaland / My Random Thoughts / Scourge Of Inbreeding : Short Story ( Adult Content; 18+ )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.