Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore (1157 Views)

The Certificate Elephant In Abuja By lasisi Olagunju / Buhari: Nigerians Love Me, That’s Why I’m Paying Them Back / "Adams Oshiomhole: Elephant In APC's China Shop" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by blackpanda: 6:30am On Apr 01, 2022
I have been saying for sometime but nobody will listen. Most will tag me as supporting one political party or the other, because today, every comment made is understood in terms of the political party they try to associate you with.

Regardless, my opinion is that 99% of Nigerian security, economic and social problem is not as a result of the actions of any political party. Our problems as a nation are tied to complete and total moral decadence, greed and lack of patriotism.

Bottom line, in today's Nigeria anything goes. We don't care for one another anymore. Nigerians have now sunk to the lowest point in terms of morality. We only blame politicians because they are the most visible in society. But actually, politicians are simply the best of us. If you listen to the average Nigerian on the street, especially this younger generation, you will cringe in terror.

Everybody loves to point fingers at buhari because he's the president. In 2023 they will also be blaming whomever emerges as president. Nobody wants to accept responsibility. Nigerian society encourages one to be a thief, murderer, kidnapper etc. How else will you make those millions fast, in the twinkle of an eye.

If you want to understand current Nigerian behavior, just go and observe how we drive on the road. Pure greed and wickedness! We throw rubbish on the road indiscriminately, swerve and overtake anyhow without warning or trafficator. Should your car breakdown, everybody will abandon and move on. Nobody is interested in obeying traffick lights except lastma or Vio is around the corner.

Nigeria's problem is not politicians. Nigeria's problem is Nigerians. Parents have failed. Churches have totally failed. Mosques have failed us too. Morality in nigeria is completely dead. And we all expect whomever emerges as president to do magic!

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by plaetton: 6:54am On Apr 01, 2022
My friend,
Leadership is everything.
Every leadership style produces its own peculiar followership. Leaders are the Ruders that steer the ship of state.
A leader's zeal and body language trickles down to the ministers, commissioners, etc, down to all organs of governance.
The masses are very malleable, and ever ready to inculcate and follow the good examples of an honest committed leader.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Odin13: 7:04am On Apr 01, 2022
You’re funny cheesy

Political party

Leadership

Government in power

No blame any other thing . .. not even Nigerians . They made us survivors.
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by istina: 7:12am On Apr 01, 2022
Bad leadership is the bane of African countries.
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Nbotee(m): 7:24am On Apr 01, 2022
See foolish ppl. Now U are blaming the ppl instead of those who made promised they didn't intend to keep. When U were supporting ur political party while insulting and chastising the opposition, it didn't occur to U that the ppl are the problem abi? The ppl will always be the problem becos the govt made it so. When the govt rules with impunity and doesn't even respect the law they set, will those who are supposed to uphold the law respect the law themselves??

1 Like

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by LordIsaac(m): 7:31am On Apr 01, 2022
You have said it all....I have often reiterated, an average Nigerian is wicked; we can see the reflection of this assertion in our leaders. De Tocqueville says, and I quote: " in a democracy, people get the kinds of leaders they deserve." We cannot be better than our leaders!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Voice234: 7:34am On Apr 01, 2022
Bros you are totally correct. We the people are responsible. Our politicians and people in the civil service didn’t grow up in space, they lived in our environment, picked up these mindsets and characters from our elder ones and parents.

Whether we like it or YES, our government is only a reflection of who we are.

99% of Nigerians have done things that are not worthy of mention, which has painted the nation in bad light.

If you disagree with me and you never do favoritism, give or collect bribe, disobey traffic or do sharp practice, quote me and comment

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Padipadi(m): 7:36am On Apr 01, 2022
blackpanda:
I have been saying for sometime but nobody will listen. Most will tag me as supporting one political party or the other, because today, every comment made is understood in terms of the political party they try to associate you with.

Regardless, my opinion is that 99% of Nigerian security, economic and social problem is not as a result of the actions of any political party. Our problems as a nation are tied to complete and total moral decadence, greed and lack of patriotism.

Bottom line, in today's Nigeria anything goes. We don't care for one another anymore. Nigerians have now sunk to the lowest point in terms of morality. We only blame politicians because they are the most visible in society. But actually, politicians are simply the best of us. If you listen to the average Nigerian on the street, especially this younger generation, you will cringe in terror.

Everybody loves to point fingers at buhari because he's the president. In 2023 they will also be blaming whomever emerges as president. Nobody wants to accept responsibility. Nigerian society encourages one to be a thief, murderer, kidnapper etc. How else will you make those millions fast, in the twinkle of an eye.

If you want to understand current Nigerian behavior, just go and observe how we drive on the road. Pure greed and wickedness! We throw rubbish on the road indiscriminately, swerve and overtake anyhow without warning or trafficator. Should your car breakdown, everybody will abandon and move on. Nobody is interested in obeying traffick lights except lastma or Vio is around the corner.

Nigeria's problem is not politicians. Nigeria's problem is Nigerians. Parents have failed. Churches have totally failed. Mosques have failed us too. Morality in nigeria is completely dead. And we all expect whomever emerges as president to do magic!
well said.
And the govt isn't bringing programs or initiatives of instilling moral values in the upcoming ones. This ll help a lot but only little is done

1 Like

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by LordIsaac(m): 7:38am On Apr 01, 2022
plaetton:
My friend,
Leadership is everything.
Every leadership style produces its own peculiar followership. Leaders are the Ruders that steer the ship of state.
A leader's zeal and body language trickles down to the ministers, commissioners, etc, down to all organs of governance.
The masses are very malleable, and ever ready to inculcate and follow the good examples of an honest committed leader.
And the leaders come from the people...in fact, they are a function of the collective will of the people (in a democracy). Thus, it is a two way street; that's his message!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by backnbeta(f): 7:40am On Apr 01, 2022
The people are bad- agreed. But one good leader can change the orientation of these bad people and that good leadership is what we lack in Nigeria today, which is why the ship is sinking deeper. Bad orientation cannot continue to be an excuse for bad leadership!
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by sweetonugbu: 8:13am On Apr 01, 2022
Shifting of goal post.
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Emmanuelcann: 8:43am On Apr 01, 2022
blackpanda:

Agreed! You're right, but that doesn't mean "leaders" can shirk responsibility!!! The buck must stop somewhere!
Do I have control of the country's security apparatus? Do I have control of the machinery of government? Do I have control of the budget?
Why assume responsibility based on promises never meant to be kept?

2 Likes

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by mrdan(m): 8:55am On Apr 01, 2022
blackpanda:

I wouldn't totally blame the people.
The leadership is suppose to provide a working enforcement procedure to combat all these failures from the citizens.

If we are to look at other societies, we can't say their citizens don't do bad thing, they do but the government makes sure they pay for this.

An example, from what we see and hear about the UK and US, if a road user commits a crime on the road he is fined a lot to deter them from doing this again, but for us here, do we have any worthy enforcement, rather the enforcer(police) is corrupt, we are not fined a lot, so lot of people think they can get away with crimes.

Another example, during Fashola's time, any road user going against traffic or using one way is usually taken for mental evaluation, that really stopped most user from going against traffic because nobody wants to be taken to a mental institution for test.
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 01, 2022
blackpanda:

The problem is leadership.

Take for instance, reckless driving and disobedience to traffic laws.

Do you know in a working society, every car number plate will have the current contacts of all the owners and driver's linked and saved. Traffic lights, signs and cameras will be mounted at the appropriate places.

If you break a traffic law, you get an sms to pay a certain fee and submit your driver license to the government. You have to retake driving test to get another license.

Failure to pay or delay to report to the office will earn you a year in prison or 100,000 naira.

Within six months, everyone brain will reset.

It's all about leadership my brother.
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by Tumbulum: 9:06am On Apr 01, 2022
Shifting the goal post again. Buhari failed and that's a fact. He told the people all manner of good things he has in mind if he becomes the president,he told them he will lead the fight to bokoharam from the front line and the people trusted him and voted out Jonathan and then here we are.
Are you saying the people are to blame for trusting the words of a man who labeled himself integrity and Mr righteousness.how can the masses be the problem when its only a handful of people that is really causing us harm?
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by slimghost(m): 9:12am On Apr 01, 2022
blackpanda:

You are a known tool but you made some valid points here.
However, the onus is on the leadership to instill new sets of values on the people.
In summary, Buhari is a disaster!
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by plaetton: 9:38am On Apr 01, 2022
LordIsaac:

And the leaders come from the people...in fact, they are a function of the collective will of the people (in a democracy). Thus, it is a two way street; that's his message!

You are basically saying that all Nigerians have the same personality traits.
I beg to differ.

Not everyone is or can be a leader.
Good Leadership is a quality, a trait. Certainly not everyone has it. That's why there is usually a rigorous process of vetting of candidates for Leadership positions.
When that vetting process is debased and bastardized by primordial sentiments, then it becomes open season for everyone, especially the unqualified.
What has been happening in Nigeria is that the masses have been deceived, exploited and traumatized to numbness, to the exact point where the sociopathic leaders want them to be- a sort of Stockholms syndrome, where the preys worship their predators, and accept ,regurgitate and re-enact the dysfunctional worldview of their predators.

1 Like

Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by LordIsaac(m): 9:41am On Apr 01, 2022
plaetton:

You are basically saying that all Nigerians have the same personality traits.
I beg to differ.

Not everyone is or can be a leader.
Good Leadership is a quality, a trait. Certainly not everyone has it. That's why there is usually a rigorous process of vetting of candidates for Leadership positions.
When that vetting process is debased and bastardized by primordial sentiments, then it becomes open season for everyone, especially the unqualified.
What has been happening in Nigeria is that the masses have been deceived, exploited and traumatized to numbness, to the exact point where the sociopathic leaders want them to be- a sort of Stockholms syndrome, where the preys worship their predators, and accept ,regurgitate and re-enact the dysfunctional worldview of their predators.
No, I'm basically saying all Nigerians are subject to the same political process/system and are subject to the same Constitution even if I alone disagree with it.
And, those who belong and are presented to the people come from the people for the people grin
Re: The Elephant In The Room That Nigerians Love To Ignore by oneolajire(m): 11:05am On Apr 01, 2022
Rubbish dot com

(1) (Reply)

Sit At Home Continues in Anambra Despite Soludo Pleas / Nigeria Is A Multicultural And Multireligion Country, Lets Respect Each Other / Did Tinubu Go To Beg Sultan Of Sokoto In The Mosque?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.