Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding (2080 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / The Gradual Phasing Out Of The Use Of Palm Wine For Traditional Wedding Rites / Important Things You Should Know About The Igbo Traditional Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 12:56pm On Apr 02, 2022
There is only something called a wedding like the one shown below.

There's no such thing as a native name. There's only something called a name. For example, Emeka Ojukwu is a name, a nice name. If Ojukwu's middle name was John that should be called his strange name. Strange because why should anyone that is not from England bear a name like John.

Again, there are no native names. Only strange names.

Also, there's nothing like traditional suit. There's only a suit and western-style suit.

We have serious cultural problems in our society. That's why we're not moving forward.

https://discord./j5DmWx66

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by dialfa: 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2022
That's why I stopped church and all foreign culture killing nonsense.

1 Like

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by festacman(m): 1:15pm On Apr 02, 2022
There is no such thing as phone. It is just a town crier and gong. grin

There is no such as airplane. It is just a version witchcraft. grin

There is no such thing as internet. It is just a another village square meeting. grin

There is no such as twins. It is just the twins the villagers Chief priest forgot to kill.

Dude claiming cultural independence but will jump on latest tech innovation to use and will die for Canada visa.

We don't have cultural problems. We have external cultural influences on our culture which contribute to culture dynamism. Travels, migration, intermarriage, intertrade, etc are all factors.

2 Likes

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
festacman:

There is no such as airplane. It is just a witchcraft. grin

There is no such thing as internet. It is just a village square meeting. grin

There is no such as twins. It is just the twins the villagers Chief priest forgot to kill.

Dude claiming cultural independence but will jump on latest tech innovation to use and will die for Canada visa.

We don't have cultural problems. We have external cultural influences on our culture which contribute to culture dynamism. Travels, migration, intermarriage, intertrade, etc are all factors.

Very funny. You should become a comedian.

I don't give a damn about Canada. Why would I want to live somewhere I'm not from. Also, you're implicitly saying that Igbo/Yoruba culture is not allowed to have technology. Apparently, technology is the white man's property. All Igbo man can do is village square meeting. If Igbo man wants to use or invent technology, he is doing an oyinbo thing. It can never be his own because according to you any and all science and technology is oyinbo culture. Do you see how dangerous your mentality is ? We should just say that all progress is trying to be oyinbo, and we should just stick to palm oil tapping. No one owns technology. If Igbo man invents something tomorrow that is IGBO TECHNOLOGY, that becomes part of IGBO CULTURE. Same goes for any ethnic group on this planet.

Just to address your last point. This is not cultural influence. This is called cultural domination. A Canadian man gets to enjoy living in his own culture, his name, his dressing, his whole society is his. There's no drop of any other culture in his life apart from Chinese restaurant. You and I don't get to enjoy that. We're living under a culture that is not ours because it was imposed by British imperialists. Sure there's still some of our own culture, but that takes the back seat. The Oyinbo way dominates all aspects of your life.

4 Likes

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by winsmile: 1:51pm On Apr 02, 2022
there is acute level of inferiority complex in Nigeria especially from the educated class

2 Likes

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by festacman(m): 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2022
ncheochiagha:

Very funny. You should become a comedian.

I don't give a damn about Canada. Why would I want to live somewhere I'm not from. Also, you're implicitly saying that Igbo/Yoruba culture is not allowed to have technology. Apparently, technology is the white man's property. All Igbo man can do is village square meeting. If Igbo man wants to use or invent technology, he is doing an oyinbo thing. It can never be his own because according to you any and all science and technology is oyinbo culture. Do you see how dangerous your mentality is ? We should just say that all progress is trying to be oyinbo, and we should just stick to palm oil tapping. No one owns technology. If Igbo man invents something tomorrow that is IGBO TECHNOLOGY, that becomes part of IGBO CULTURE. Same goes for any ethnic group on this planet.

Just to address your last point. This is not cultural influence. This is called cultural domination. A Canadian man gets to enjoy living in his own culture, his name, his dressing, his whole society is his. There's no drop of any other culture in his life apart from Chinese restaurant. You and I don't get to enjoy that. We're living under a culture that is not ours because it was imposed by British imperialists. Sure there's still some of our own culture, but that takes the back seat. The Oyinbo way dominates all aspects of your life.

You can't be using a man's technology without being influenced by its content. You acquire a body of knowledge (education) built up by a man without being influenced by his culture. Your children can't watch cartoons produced by others and they won't be influenced by its contents.

Look, we pretend a lot. Nobody has stopped your children from coming at night to enjoy moonshine with children. Nobody has stopped you from organizing wrestling matches at village square instead subscribing to DSTV to watch foreign football leagues. Even to watch our local leagues, na begging.

Look, inter-culturation and acculturation are all parts of life.

By the way, it is not as if out culture has been eroded. The core content of our marriage rites is still intact. The same for burial rites, dances, music, etc.

Religiously, not everyone subscribes to the worship of idol spirits whose origin nobody knows except that our forefathers worshipped them. I am content with my relationship with the purest Spirit: Jesus of whose origin I can trace down to Israel.

2 Likes

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by theone3010: 4:57am On Apr 14, 2022
festacman:

There is no such as airplane. It is just a version witchcraft. grin

There is no such thing as internet. It is just a another village square meeting. grin

Some time i wonder why we africans give all credit to the white. Have you asked yourself why the escavation of the different pyramids in egypt have not stop? Its simply because anything they discover there were all black civilisation. We are the bginning/foundation of everything you see

From the study of the universe where the word university came from you will know its all alkebulam all the way. Let me break it down. Google these words;

Timburktu
Dogon people of Mali
Ishango bone
Nok civilisation
Benin Metallurgy
The Moors
Nsibidi

That being said, Sango the god of lightning/thunder discover electricity. Ogun the god of Iron, discover Iron. These are talented people like you and i. They are called god today because they did exeptional things with their talent. What else, the first scecerian operation was carried out by Ugandans

Medicine, Astology, Mathematics, Trade/Commerce, Writing/Alphabet etc are all our way of life. You must make it a point of duty to do things outside the box where we have been caged with western civilisation to be exceptional. You must go back to the africa before the arrival of the europeans for you to know your true worth and self.

Thank you.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by Emilokoiyawon: 11:08pm On Apr 14, 2022
You are intelligent. Unfortunately, the rest of the society is too dumb to see your reasoning.

Don't waste your time trying to educate colonially brainwashed Africans, even their god is either an ancient Palestinian (Jesus) or an Arab moon god (Allah).

This is why non-Africans call them monkeys.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 11:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
Emilokoiyawon:
You are intelligent. Unfortunately, the rest of the society is too dumb to see your reasoning.

Don't waste your time trying to educate colonially brainwashed Africans, even their god is either an ancient Palestinian (Jesus) or an Arab moon god (Allah).

And do you know the origins of your own “traditional religion”. You follow it because your parents did? Because your ancestors did? Is the truth based on lineage? Is the truth based on tradition? Obviously not, these are two different arguments. I can be a Christian but see the value in my tradition and not hold western ones over it. However when it comes to my salvation I will make a decision based on what I think is the truth.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 7:20am On May 19, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

And do you know the origins of your own “traditional religion”. You follow it because your parents did? Because your ancestors did? Is the truth based on lineage? Is the truth based on tradition? Obviously not, these are two different arguments. I can be a Christian but see the value in my tradition and not hold western ones over it. However when it comes to my salvation I will make a decision based on what I think is the truth.

I don't mean to make you angry because my mission here is to educate people, but is it not better to follow something because your ancestors did than because it was imposed by people that conquered you. On its own being a Christian is not bad, but we have to look at the history behind these things and the history tells me that by submitting to Christianity, I am submitting to a conqueror (British). That being said, that's just my personal outlook. Christianity is not really what is harming our society the most, so I'm not shaming anyone for being a Christian.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 10:13pm On May 21, 2022
Emilokoiyawon:

You think maybe we should make a whatsapp group chat or something for nairalanders that are interested in this kind of thing.

1 Like

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 8:15pm On Jun 18, 2022
ncheochiagha:

I don't mean to make you angry because my mission here is to educate people, but is it not better to follow something because your ancestors did than because it was imposed by people that conquered you. On its own being a Christian is not bad, but we have to look at the history behind these things and the history tells me that by submitting to Christianity, I am submitting to a conqueror (British). That being said, that's just my personal outlook. Christianity is not really what is harming our society the most, so I'm not shaming anyone for being a Christian.

But you are objectively wrong. Because no matter what angle you look at it. Christianity isnt British.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 12:33am On Jun 24, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Christianity isnt British.

So what is it?
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 12:49am On Jun 24, 2022
ncheochiagha:

So what is it?
Quite clearly Jewish or middle eastern in origin. How could you not know? Not to mention parts take place in Africa too.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 3:04am On Jun 24, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Quite clearly Jewish or middle eastern in origin. How could you not know? Not to mention parts take place in Africa too.

It is mostly of Roman origin. That's why the jews are not Christian. They are well...jews.

The Romans crucified Christ and that's how the religion started in the Roman republic- which I want to remind you is the main origin point of Western civilisation. Christianity is a firmly white religion. Do not try to argue around this.

Then the British had their own different brands of Christianity which they brought here to use to conquer us mentally. Let me ask you a question..why is your God a white man? You're literally worshipping the white man and bringing down your own people when you practise Christianity. Of course most of you don't see this as a problem because most of you don't value your people or your land. Mentally colonised!
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 11:24pm On Jun 24, 2022
ncheochiagha:

It is mostly of Roman origin. That's why the jews are not Christian. They are well...jews.

The Romans crucified Christ and that's how the religion started in the Roman republic- which I want to remind you is the main origin point of Western civilisation. Christianity is a firmly white religion. Do not try to argue around this.

Then the British had their own different brands of Christianity which they brought here to use to conquer us mentally. Let me ask you a question..why is your God a white man? You're literally worshipping the white man and bringing down your own people when you practise Christianity. Of course most of you don't see this as a problem because most of you don't value your people or your land. Mentally colonised!

Most of the disciples were Jews. Jesus was a Jew. Armenia not Rome was the first Christian country. Ethiopia in Africa the second. Twisting history is a no no. Jesus race is unimportant. And in fact race in general is unimportant but in this context dont go telling lies. I prefer to be someone following what I know to be the truth than someone who thinks their race determines the truth.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 11:28pm On Jun 24, 2022
ncheochiagha:

They conquered us mentally with Christianity yet their most obedient people were the northerners, the least Christian. Not to mention the strongholds of voodoo and other African religions are the most impoverished areas. Do the maths, if your theory is right in Africa were there is more African religion, the people should be more free abi? Nope the opposite. The place that has been Christian the longest is the only unconquered territory and the people who tried to conquered them...get this...are the descendants of actual Rome not one of the many captured territories of the Roman Empire which you decided to list as the Roman Republic.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 5:29pm On Jun 25, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Most of the disciples were Jews. Jesus was a Jew. Armenia not Rome was the first Christian country. Ethiopia in Africa the second. Twisting history is a no no. Jesus race is unimportant. And in fact race in general is unimportant but in this context dont go telling lies. I prefer to be someone following what I know to be the truth than someone who thinks their race determines the truth.

I didn't twist history. I never said anything about his disciples. The point is that Christianity brought by Europeans was born and bred in Europe. It wasn't greek Orthodox Christianity or Judaism. It mainly was western European Protestantism and Catholicism. So again white god is what you're worshipping. The actual Jesus sure he was a jew, a semite, but the image Europeans look up to as Christ is in their European image, and that's what they brought over to Africa. I mean for goodness sake if Europeans saw Jesus as a jew then why all the antisemitism there, to the point that they wiped off most of them from the continent via genocide.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2022
ncheochiagha:

I didn't twist history. I never said anything about his disciples. The point is that Christianity brought by Europeans was born and bred in Europe. It wasn't greek Orthodox Christianity or Judaism. It mainly was western European Protestantism and Catholicism. So again white god is what you're worshipping. The actual Jesus sure he was a jew, a semite, but the image Europeans look up to as Christ is in their European image, and that's what they brought over to Africa. I mean for goodness sake if Europeans saw Jesus as a jew then why all the antisemitism there, to the point that they wiped off most of them from the continent via genocide.

Christianity isnt born and bred anywhere. Go to other places as a Nigerian Christian especially Europe and they will tell you the differences themselves without you having to open your mouth. Each Christian was evangelised to by different groups. Ours happened to be Europeans. Europeans happened to be Jews. Now West Africans are evangelising Europeans and the form of Christianity is more Africanised. Are they practicing the "Black man's religion". No. You can discuss the image of Jesus all you want when most Christians already understand that it isnt what he looks like. At best you can tell Christians to stop using that image which many Christians themselves agree with.

In the end your theory of mind conquering is very shabby. The traditionalists again are in very impoverished positions. Everywhere. Only Ethiopians havent been properly under Europeans, I think that itself renders your theory unfounded.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 6:05pm On Jun 25, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

They conquered us mentally with Christianity yet their most obedient people were the northerners, the least Christian.

That's because the system the British set up in Nigeria benefits the northern elites the most, and the northern Fulani elite thoroughly control the North so whether the masses like Britain or not is irrelevant. It's simple as that. Also, being mentally colonised isn't really about being obedient to Britain.

ChebeNdigboCalm:

Not to mention the strongholds of voodoo and other African religions are the most impoverished areas. Do the maths, if your theory is right in Africa were there is more African religion, the people should be more free abi? Nope the opposite. The place that has been Christian the longest is the only unconquered territory

Your world view is that that Christianity is this holy good force that leads to progress and then your ancestor's Odinani is this evil force that leads to bad. This is what we call a constructed perception in my debate society. And we always say that you have to know the distinction between a perception and reality. A perception is based on cherry-picked information. Now, let me give you the full picture...

Yes, the places that are more traditional are more backwards but that's simply because under the current order traditional IS backwards, so it's only backwater areas that will still practice our religion, and since they're so poor they make it look so dirty. Imagine a world were Odinani was well-organised, it was the mainstream religion, and the country (Biafra) was prosperous. The temples would be clean and the oracles and ezes would be highly esteemed, and people would even look to the religion as the source of all that is good. There's no evidence that your ancestor's religion actually has evil energy that make things bad, so all that is just perception.

Yes, Ethiopia was not colonised. At that time they were more militarily advanced than the rest of us, but not by much. There was also probably some other factors like the difficult terrain that made it hard to establish the same kind of hegemony, but that one needs more research. Part of why they had that military advantage is the same reason they were more Christian and Muslim: they were not as isolated as us, so they got all that influence from the Middle East.

Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 6:43pm On Jun 25, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Christianity isnt born and bred anywhere. Go to other places as a Nigerian Christian especially Europe and they will tell you the differences themselves without you having to open your mouth. Each Christian was evangelised to by different groups. Ours happened to be Europeans. Europeans happened to be Jews. Now West Africans are evangelising Europeans and the form of Christianity is more Africanised. Are they practicing the "Black man's religion". No. You can discuss the image of Jesus all you want when most Christians already understand that it isnt what he looks like. At best you can tell Christians to stop using that image which many Christians themselves agree with.

In the end your theory of mind conquering is very shabby. The traditionalists again are in very impoverished positions. Everywhere. Only Ethiopians havent been properly under Europeans, I think that itself renders your theory unfounded.

I've not even really explained my theory. Even if it's a white man's religion, what's bad about that? After centuries it'll still become Africanised right?

Well, my theory is that for any nation to develop they need to get their society right. And by right I mean the formula that all the successful nations of the last century used: (A) A well-defined ethnic group (B) The ethnic group has a standardised written language (C) The ethnic group has a religion that they identify with. This is the formula Britain and her children (US, Canada) used. It's what Japan used. Japan is an interesting case because they industrialised late, but because they checked all three boxes they could easily mobilise their population to achieve certain goals. Why does this formula work? It's about brotherhood. When a group of people have common identity and religion that is theirs [keyword, theirs], they don't have problem working with each other. They'll be able to build strong institutions that work for them, and if they also have written language and a good ideology, their country will really prosper.

Nigeria definitely doesn't have (A) and (C). You can argue we have (B), but no one has forgotten that English comes from England, so it's not ours, plus there's really no 'ours' to speak of because we're not a defined ethnic group.

This is where the mental colonisation comes in. We don't really have a meaningful identity. Like my friend once said we're just a nothing people. Everything we do is just sort of imitating oyinbo. We primarily use Engish because we don't have our own sophisticated language. A number of us have names like Patrick and James, when we're not from England. We see our own core culture as backwards. We see our core religions as literal evil. I mean we're conquered, and oyinbo is laughing at us. Until we get the foundation right we're not going anywhere.

I invite anyone that's interested in this politics stuff to join the discussion server, so that we have a closed space to share ideas
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
https://discord./4DzkExgd
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 7:48pm On Jun 25, 2022
ncheochiagha:

That's because the system the British set up in Nigeria benefits the northern elites the most, and the northern Fulani elite thoroughly control the North so whether the masses like Britain or not is irrelevant. It's simple as that. Also, being mentally colonised isn't really about being obedient to Britain.

Your world view is that that Christianity is this holy good force that leads to progress and then your ancestor's Odinani is this evil force that leads to bad. This is what we call a constructed perception in my debate society. And we always say that you have to know the distinction between a perception and reality. A perception is based on cherry-picked information. Now, let me give you the full picture...

Yes, the places that are more traditional are more backwards but that's simply because under the current order traditional IS backwards, so it's only backwater areas that will still practice our religion, and since they're so poor they make it look so dirty. Imagine a world were Odinani was well-organised, it was the mainstream religion, and the country (Biafra) was prosperous. The temples would be clean and the oracles and ezes would be highly esteemed, and people would even look to the religion as the source of all that is good. There's no evidence that your ancestor's religion actually has evil energy that make things bad, so all that is just perception.

Yes, Ethiopia was not colonised. At that time they were more militarily advanced than the rest of us, but not by much. There was also probably some other factors like the difficult terrain that made it hard to establish the same kind of hegemony, but that one needs more research. Part of why they had that military advantage is the same reason they were more Christian and Muslim: they were not as isolated as us, so they got all that influence from the Middle East.

Before replying let me say. I like the way you are here for real conversation.

You can say that it benefits them. If it only benefits their elites it is useless. Can you not say the elites in the south are also benefitting? You are giving reasons for this and that but it seems like there is an excuse of why your theory is not actually coming to effect anywhere. The trend doesnt exist! You say Ethiopia wasnt colonised partly because of its mountainous terrain in which its hard to establish that hegemony but then we Igbo people lived in a massive forest probably just as difficult terrain wise to colonise and was proven by the fact that we fought for decades. The real reason Ethiopians won, wasnt their better technology but better organisation and their organisation in turn from their motivation and their motivation in turn from their religion. Their influence from the middle east was get this Christianity and Judaism. Not war stratagems. They got that from fighting.

The north had their middle eastern influence too. The dudes got annihilated 100 times easier than us in war. Look at the war records in expeditions listed in london gazette article and compare it to the ones in igboland.

Finally your theory that Odinani is practiced in impoverished areas because it is seen as backwards is wrong. Christianity was what was seen as for "backwards" people as the first Christians were in fact Osu people. Whilst the wealthy classy chiefs like my grandfather were part of the cults, Okonkwo, Ekpe etc. Those Christians realised they were free and started thriving and evangelising too. No, its quite simple people become Christians because they think it is true.

Odinani as we know it is an evil force that leads to bad. There is no way to tell how old it is and how far back my ancestors practiced it. What about their ancestors? What were they practicing? And where did Odinani come from? And what was the situation in that day? You see? The only way to pick a "religion" is what you are convinced is true. Simple.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Before replying let me say. I like the way you are here for real conversation.

You can say that it benefits them. If it only benefits their elites it is useless. Can you not say the elites in the south are also benefitting? You are giving reasons for this and that but it seems like there is an excuse of why your theory is not actually coming to effect anywhere. The trend doesnt exist! You say Ethiopia wasnt colonised partly because of its mountainous terrain in which its hard to establish that hegemony but then we Igbo people lived in a massive forest probably just as difficult terrain wise to colonise and was proven by the fact that we fought for decades. The real reason Ethiopians won, wasnt their better technology but better organisation and their organisation in turn from their motivation and their motivation in turn from their religion. Their influence from the middle east was get this Christianity and Judaism. Not war stratagems. They got that from fighting.

The north had their middle eastern influence too. The dudes got annihilated 100 times easier than us in war. Look at the war records in expeditions listed in london gazette article and compare it to the ones in igboland.

Finally your theory that Odinani is practiced in impoverished areas because it is seen as backwards is wrong. Christianity was what was seen as for "backwards" people as the first Christians were in fact Osu people. Whilst the wealthy classy chiefs like my grandfather were part of the cults, Okonkwo, Ekpe etc. Those Christians realised they were free and started thriving and evangelising too. No, its quite simple people become Christians because they think it is true.

Odinani as we know it is an evil force that leads to bad. There is no way to tell how old it is and how far back my ancestors practiced it. What about their ancestors? What were they practicing? And where did Odinani come from? And what was the situation in that day? You see? The only way to pick a "religion" is what you are convinced is true. Simple.

I also like how you're here for a real conversation, but you seem not to be absorbing my points. Are you trying to tell me that Osu are on top today? Clearly not. We have equality now, but they did not become richer than free borns by being Christian, so your point doesn't stand there. A lot of the wealthy men in the south today still worship their Odinala privately. Most of them are part those same secret societies of old. Their wealth did not disappear. The only people that worship publicly are those in the villages because they're not part of the mainstream colonised culture.

Also, let's quickly look at the scoreboard

Islam - Terrorist Attacks like 9/11 where they leveled two skyscrapers they could never dream of building, Boko Haram in Nigeria
Christianity - Dum Diversas, Mass genocide in the Americas
Odinani - ...

So you see you have no basis to call your great grandfather's religion "an evil force that leads to bad". Because that religion has done nothing bad to anyone.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 10:36pm On Jun 25, 2022
ncheochiagha:

I've not even really explained my theory. Even if it's a white man's religion, what's bad about that? After centuries it'll still become Africanised right?

Well, my theory is that for any nation to develop they need to get their society right. And by right I mean the formula that all the successful nations of the last century used: (A) A well-defined ethnic group (B) The ethnic group has a standardised written language (C) The ethnic group has a religion that they identify with. This is the formula Britain and her children (US, Canada) used. It's what Japan used. Japan is an interesting case because they industrialised late, but because they checked all three boxes they could easily mobilise their population to achieve certain goals. Why does this formula work? It's about brotherhood. When a group of people have common identity and religion that is theirs [keyword, theirs], they don't have problem working with each other. They'll be able to build strong institutions that work for them, and if they also have written language and a good ideology, their country will really prosper.

Nigeria definitely doesn't have (A) and (C). You can argue we have (B), but no one has forgotten that English comes from England, so it's not ours, plus there's really no 'ours' to speak of because we're not a defined ethnic group.

This is where the mental colonisation comes in. We don't really have a meaningful identity. Like my friend once said we're just a nothing people. Everything we do is just sort of imitating oyinbo. We primarily use Engish because we don't have our own sophisticated language. A number of us have names like Patrick and James, when we're not from England. We see our own core culture as backwards. We see our core religions as literal evil. I mean we're conquered, and oyinbo is laughing at us. Until we get the foundation right we're not going anywhere.

I invite anyone that's interested in this politics stuff to join the discussion server, so that we have a closed space to share ideas
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
https://discord./4DzkExgd

A nation needs common values not a common religion. A common religion is however the best way to derive those values. That religion is Christianity. As for writing we can adapt Nsibidi and ethnicity...I think these biased people have shut down a certain topic.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 10:43pm On Jun 25, 2022
ncheochiagha:

I also like how you're here for a real conversation, but you seem not to be absorbing my points. Are you trying to tell me that Osu are on top today? Clearly not. We have equality now, but they did not become richer than free borns by being Christian, so your point doesn't stand there. A lot of the wealthy men in the south today still worship their Odinala privately. Most of them are part those same secret societies of old. Their wealth did not disappear. The only people that worship publicly are those in the villages because they're not part of the mainstream colonised culture.

Also, let's quickly look at the scoreboard

Islam - Terrorist Attacks like 9/11 where they leveled two skyscrapers they could never dream of building, Boko Haram in Nigeria
Christianity - Dum Diversas, Mass genocide in the Americas
Odinani - ...

So you see you have no basis to call your great grandfather's religion "an evil force that leads to bad". Because that religion has done nothing bad to anyone.

No I certainly am not saying that Osu has dissolved completely but certainly is well on its way. And regardless of what you think of Osu, what I said was a fact. The first igbo Christians were Osu and since then the treatment of Osu people has only improved and their status has improved.

Now you are saying Christians have done this and that. As long as the perpetrator is Christian you are willing the label "MASS GENOCIDE IN THE AMERICAS" which has no connection to Christianity as a Christian influence. So basically anything bad our ancestors have done is listed under the evil of odinala firstly according to your logic. Now let me add cultism, ritual killing, money ritual craze, yahoo yahoo boys and the arochukwu slave trade facilitated by the priest class.

In fact let me go further to some of the Odinala practices that our ancestors did. Well documented human sacrifice, twin killing, albino killing, creating caste systems and cannibalism. Now you will come say "Thats not odinala" I bet. But there is not even any stable recording place of what Odinala which practically means the laws of the land. If it is what its name suggest then the condoned law of the land precolonially is all odinala.

I will say it again. Before Odinala, do we know what our ancestors did? No. Because they didnt record it as far as we know.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 7:02am On Jun 26, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Now you will come say "Thats not odinala" I bet.

Maybe because that stuff you're mentioning is not Odinani. It's witchcraft and occultism. The white man has brainwashed you to the point that you don't know the difference. "Cannibalism", "Twin killing", you say. All that is more Europeans lies you believe since they're your God. Our society was too sophisticated as at then for that stuff to be the norm.The only form of sacrifice was the Osu caste system in which case they weren't actually killed but tied to a shrine. That system was mostly a penal system since we didn't do prisons at that time. Slave trade was also penal, and it was Europeans that did most of the atrocities. Even if you add up everything you accuse Odinani of, it still doesn't compare to the carnage unleashed by Christianity and Islam. Again, tell me which religion is the evil force? Clearly, you're completely brainwashed because you're still not getting my points or my theories. You didn't even bother to look up Dum Diversas something that shows how American genocide is directly linked to Christianity. At least my post has a lot of views. If I impact 1000 people, why am I bothering myself with you. You can go worship your British god, and let we who love our land be.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 4:13pm On Jun 26, 2022
ncheochiagha:

Maybe because that stuff you're mentioning is not Odinani. It's witchcraft and occultism. The white man has brainwashed you to the point that you don't know the difference. "Cannibalism", "Twin killing", you say. All that is more Europeans lies you believe since they're your God. Our society was too sophisticated as at then for that stuff to be the norm.The only form of sacrifice was the Osu caste system in which case they weren't actually killed but tied to a shrine. That system was mostly a penal system since we didn't do prisons at that time. Slave trade was also penal, and it was Europeans that did most of the atrocities. Even if you add up everything you accuse Odinani of, it still doesn't compare to the carnage unleashed by Christianity and Islam. Again, tell me which religion is the evil force? Clearly, you're completely brainwashed because you're still not getting my points or my theories. You didn't even bother to look up Dum Diversas something that shows how American genocide is directly linked to Christianity. At least my post has a lot of views. If I impact 1000 people, why am I bothering myself with you. You can go worship your British god, and let we who love our land be.

No no no. You cant do this. You have to accept what I was doing. I was making you understand that if Christians doing a bad act makes it a Christian act. Then Odinani followers doing a bad acts makes it a Odinani act. I was showing you the errors of your ways but of course you dont wanna understand. Do not come and get angry that I simply doing what you did then paint it as some misunderstanding. Europeans havent brainwashed me. Just like them I can come to my own conclusions. I am not a kid.

You can come say it is directly linked to Christianity. I disagree. Why the heck would I decide to assume something so far-fetched. I am sure that anyone who did twin-killings etc tried to justify it within their own belief system odinani. A colonist justifying their acts by supposedly using Christian beliefs doesnt mean that the act was Christian influenced. Simply means that they had to excuse it. If you feel so strongly, go explain how it was Christian. Dont expect me to explain your own point.

You are telling me that I dont know anything whilst repeating the proven lie that some Christianity is BRITISH of all things. Its laughable. I thought you were sensible but calling me brainwashed for what you phrase as "not absorbing" your points is just code of for not agreeing with you. Cease it. You are clearly emotionally charged here.
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ncheochiagha: 12:34am On Jun 27, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

No no no. You cant do this. You have to accept what I was doing. I was making you understand that if Christians doing a bad act makes it a Christian act. Then Odinani followers doing a bad acts makes it a Odinani act. I was showing you the errors of your ways but of course you dont wanna understand. Do not come and get angry that I simply doing what you did then paint it as some misunderstanding. Europeans havent brainwashed me. Just like them I can come to my own conclusions. I am not a kid.

You can come say it is directly linked to Christianity. I disagree. Why the heck would I decide to assume something so far-fetched. I am sure that anyone who did twin-killings etc tried to justify it within their own belief system odinani. A colonist justifying their acts by supposedly using Christian beliefs doesnt mean that the act was Christian influenced. Simply means that they had to excuse it. If you feel so strongly, go explain how it was Christian. Dont expect me to explain your own point.

You are telling me that I dont know anything whilst repeating the proven lie that some Christianity is BRITISH of all things. Its laughable. I thought you were sensible but calling me brainwashed for what you phrase as "not absorbing" your points is just code of for not agreeing with you. Cease it. You are clearly emotionally charged here.

Initially, you are the one that brought up the idea of some religions being "evil forces". I don't believe any of those religions are necessarily evil forces. That whole notion is very unproductive. One of your points I forgot to address was "we don't know the origins of traditional religion". For me what matters is that the religion was born and bred in Biafra/Omu Aro, so we can call it ours. But for you, you don't care where the religion came from as long as you believe it is the truth. That's where we differ ideologically, and there's nothing we're doing to change each others' minds, but we can learn something from each other. So let's respectfully agree to disagree
Re: There's NO Such Thing As Traditional Wedding by ChebeNdigboCalm: 7:20pm On Jun 27, 2022
ncheochiagha:

Initially, you are the one that brought up the idea of some religions being "evil forces". I don't believe any of those religions are necessarily evil forces. That whole notion is very unproductive. One of your points I forgot to address was "we don't know the origins of traditional religion". For me what matters is that the religion was born and bred in Biafra/Omu Aro, so we can call it ours. But for you, you don't care where the religion came from as long as you believe it is the truth. That's where we differ ideologically, and there's nothing we're doing to change each others' minds, but we can learn something from each other. So let's respectfully agree to disagree

Indeed I did and I still maintain it. I have no problem with you viewing Christianity like that. BUT I do have a problem with you painting my likening as a genuine point. As if I am lacking knowledge when you know the reason I said that. I agree to disagree.

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Topless Ladies Pictured At A 'manhood' Celebration Ceremony In Edo State / Ladies Go Traditional In Birthday Photoshoot / Who Are The Real Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.