Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,864 members, 7,813,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row (20549 Views)

Germany To Use Firewood, Coal If Russia Cuts Off Gas Supply / Russia To Cut Off Gas Supply To Poland & Bulgaria Over Refusal To Pay In Rubles / US President Biden Warns Russia, Says NATO Ready To Respond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by SecretAgent7706: 8:14pm On Apr 02, 2022
Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Thursday stating buyers must pay in roubles through Russian bank accounts from Friday. The Kremlin said this would not affect shipments which were already paid for, with payments for deliveries after 1 April due in mid-April at the earliest.

The country is seeking to shore up the rouble as Western sanctions bite.

"Does this mean that if there is no confirmation in roubles, then gas supplies will be cut off from 1 April? No, it doesn't, and it doesn't follow from the decree," Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said.

The EU said it was talking to energy companies about how to pay for gas. Ditte Juul Jorgensen, the director general of the European Commission energy directorate, tweeted that the EU was "working closely with member states and operators... to establish a common approach on currency payments for gas contracts with Russia". Since Russia invaded Ukraine Western nations have placed sanctions on Russian companies and individuals.

Unlike the US and Canada, the EU has not placed bans on oil or gas, as its member nations are heavily reliant on it. Russia supplies the European Union (EU) with about 40% of its gas and a third of its oil imports which are mainly paid for in euros and dollars.

The EU has no easy substitutes if supplies are disrupted, but at the same time, Russia is making €400m (£340m) per day from gas sales to the bloc and it has very few options for rerouting this supply to other markets.

Member states in the EU have been on alert for any disruption to Russian gas imports as tension continues between Russia and the West over the Ukraine invasion. On Wednesday, Germany and Austria took the first steps towards gas rationing. Germany urged consumers and companies to reduce consumption in anticipation of possible shortages, while Austria said it was tightening its monitoring of the gas market.

A crunch point appeared to be in the offing when Moscow issued a decree on Thursday requiring foreign buyers of Russian gas to open rouble accounts from Friday or else risk being cut-off.

Moscow did, however, offer a mechanism for buyers to obtain roubles via the state-run Gazprombank.The bank has escaped sanctions from the EU to allow energy trading to continue.

The UK has imposed sanctions on Gazprombank, but imports less than 5% of its gas from Russia. UK and Dutch wholesale gas prices fell on Friday after the announcement that Russian gas supplies would not be halted immediately. Westbound flows of Russian gas via major routes were steady on Friday
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60944322

5 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Akasammyoka: 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2022
Putin is starting to quiver. Many will soon follow Lithuania to leave this Russian gas and fuel, this am sure

100 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by ignis: 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2022
Russia should calm down
Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Uprightness100(m): 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2022
A Friend in the United States sent me this today and I totally agree with it.

Regardless of what you think about Putin’s morals or ethics, he is a genius strategist whose intellect is vastly superior to Joe Biden’s. Putin latest move threatens the very future of the dollar (fiat) currency and may spell the beginning of the end for the dollar.

Beginning this Friday, Russia will only accept roubles, gold or bitcoin as payment for energy exports to “unfriendly” countries. No dollars or euros will be accepted. And why should Putin accept dollars or euros anyway, given that the western financial system has told Putin he can no longer use dollars or euros to purchase anything.

As a result, Putin is demanding roubles, gold or bitcoin. And that means the Russian rouble is now backed by commodities exports, making it a currency backed by something real. If you buy roubles, in other words, you can trade those roubles for natural gas or oil.

Putin blasted the “theft” of Moscow’s resources and mocked the notion that first-world currency reserve holders are “reliable.”

Russia has just made some moves that are going to change the global financial system forever.

When the conflict in Ukraine originally erupted, the U.S. immediately attempted to crash the value of Russia’s currency. Those attempts were successful for a few days, but now the value of the rouble relative to the U.S. dollar is almost all the way back to where it was before the start of the war.

This has absolutely stunned many of the experts, because they thought that U.S. sanctions would absolutely cripple Russia. So what happened? Well, it turns out that the Russians have made some very savvy moves that have turned the tables on the Biden administration.

For one thing, Russia has started to demand payment in roubles when it sells natural gas to non-friendly nations. A lot of countries in western Europe are quite upset about this, but they really have no choice, because they are exceedingly dependent on Russian gas. So from this point forward, western powers are actually going to be forced to help prop up the value of the rouble…

This is a new directive from President Vladimir Putin as he attempts to leverage his country’s in-demand resources to counter a barrage of Western sanctions.

“I have decided to implement … a series of measures to switch payments — we’ll start with that — for our natural gas supplies to so-called unfriendly countries into Russian roubles,” Putin said in a televised government meeting, adding that trust in the dollar and euro had been “compromised” by the West’s seizure of Russian assets.

Secondly, the Russians have decided that U.S. dollars will no longer be accepted as payment for anything that they sell to other nations. Pavel Zavalny, the head of the Russian parliament, says that U.S. currency “has lost all interest for us”…

Much more interesting was Zavalny’s main point, even though it has been mostly overlooked. If other countries want to buy oil, gas, other resources or anything else from Russia, he said, “let them pay either in hard currency, and this is gold for us, or pay as it is convenient for us, this is the national currency.”

In other words, Russia is happy to accept your national currency — yuan, lira, ringgits or whatever — or roubles, or “hard currency,” and for them that no longer means U.S. dollars, it means gold.

“The dollar ceases to be a means of payment for us, it has lost all interest for us,” Zavalny added, calling the greenback “no better than “candy wrappers.”

This is huge, but it isn’t being discussed much by the corporate media in the United States, or Australia!.

The Russians aren’t just saying that they do not recognize U.S. dollars as the reserve currency of the world any longer. That would be bad enough.

At this point, they are actually saying that they will no longer accept U.S. dollars as a form of payment at all.

This is the largest seismic adjustment to the world financial system since the end of World War 2.

82 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 02, 2022
Like if you think countries will pay in ruble, share if you think they won't.

88 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Massiveglory: 8:35pm On Apr 02, 2022
[s]
Likeandshare:
[/s]

You no get Job ni? Na to de gather like and share upandan .

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Lamasta(m): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2022
Likeandshare:
Every Mallam with in kettle

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Dialpad: 8:52pm On Apr 02, 2022
How many times have you been denied USA visa

Uprightness100:
A Friend in the United States sent me this today and I totally agree with it.

Regardless of what you think about Putin’s morals or ethics, he is a genius strategist whose intellect is vastly superior to Joe Biden’s. Putin latest move threatens the very future of the dollar (fiat) currency and may spell the beginning of the end for the dollar.

Beginning this Friday, Russia will only accept roubles, gold or bitcoin as payment for energy exports to “unfriendly” countries. No dollars or euros will be accepted. And why should Putin accept dollars or euros anyway, given that the western financial system has told Putin he can no longer use dollars or euros to purchase anything.

As a result, Putin is demanding roubles, gold or bitcoin. And that means the Russian rouble is now backed by commodities exports, making it a currency backed by something real. If you buy roubles, in other words, you can trade those roubles for natural gas or oil.

Putin blasted the “theft” of Moscow’s resources and mocked the notion that first-world currency reserve holders are “reliable.”

Russia has just made some moves that are going to change the global financial system forever.

When the conflict in Ukraine originally erupted, the U.S. immediately attempted to crash the value of Russia’s currency. Those attempts were successful for a few days, but now the value of the rouble relative to the U.S. dollar is almost all the way back to where it was before the start of the war.

This has absolutely stunned many of the experts, because they thought that U.S. sanctions would absolutely cripple Russia. So what happened? Well, it turns out that the Russians have made some very savvy moves that have turned the tables on the Biden administration.

For one thing, Russia has started to demand payment in roubles when it sells natural gas to non-friendly nations. A lot of countries in western Europe are quite upset about this, but they really have no choice, because they are exceedingly dependent on Russian gas. So from this point forward, western powers are actually going to be forced to help prop up the value of the rouble…

This is a new directive from President Vladimir Putin as he attempts to leverage his country’s in-demand resources to counter a barrage of Western sanctions.

“I have decided to implement … a series of measures to switch payments — we’ll start with that — for our natural gas supplies to so-called unfriendly countries into Russian roubles,” Putin said in a televised government meeting, adding that trust in the dollar and euro had been “compromised” by the West’s seizure of Russian assets.

Secondly, the Russians have decided that U.S. dollars will no longer be accepted as payment for anything that they sell to other nations. Pavel Zavalny, the head of the Russian parliament, says that U.S. currency “has lost all interest for us”…

Much more interesting was Zavalny’s main point, even though it has been mostly overlooked. If other countries want to buy oil, gas, other resources or anything else from Russia, he said, “let them pay either in hard currency, and this is gold for us, or pay as it is convenient for us, this is the national currency.”

In other words, Russia is happy to accept your national currency — yuan, lira, ringgits or whatever — or roubles, or “hard currency,” and for them that no longer means U.S. dollars, it means gold.

“The dollar ceases to be a means of payment for us, it has lost all interest for us,” Zavalny added, calling the greenback “no better than “candy wrappers.”

This is huge, but it isn’t being discussed much by the corporate media in the United States, or Australia!.

The Russians aren’t just saying that they do not recognize U.S. dollars as the reserve currency of the world any longer. That would be bad enough.

At this point, they are actually saying that they will no longer accept U.S. dollars as a form of payment at all.

This is the largest seismic adjustment to the world financial system since the end of World War 2.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by WoundedLamb: 9:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
It's gonna be a tough call, but if the EU manages to find thier way out of this one, it would be disastrous to the Russian economy. Putin took a leap of faith.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Uprightness100(m): 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2022
Dialpad:
How many times have you been denied USA visa

It's the other way round bro.I have personally rejected going to the US on multiple occasions. Infact Just about a yr ago or thereabout I rejected a fully sponsored move to the US. Up till at least few weeks ago, I am still being Pressured. But I am not one bit interested.

By GOD'S Grace, I am traveller. I don't hate the US. Lots of my Personal Family members are residents and citizens there.
What I hate is the Evil , Wickedness and Abominations approved and advanced by the Government because I know it will Destroy her. And when you see what's happening in the US today and you are one who reads and Understand the Bible, you will weep and cry for her .
Knowing what I know about Nomerica, I tell people today, if GOD did not send u there, don't go! Destruction is tooo sure and too close.
Its in the Bible and we are seeing it live already.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by HausaIgboYoruba: 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2022
Akasammyoka:
Putin is starting to quiver. Many will soon follow Lithuania to leave this Russian gas and fuel, this am sure
Lithuania has just 2.79m population. It's inconsequential

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by deji68: 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2022
Stale news, they paying in Rouble already at least in Germany and Italy ..... cool

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by SIRTee15: 10:19pm On Apr 02, 2022
Nobody is paying in ruble. EU is still paying in euros and will continue to do so.
Gazprom wasn't sanctioned by EU so the Russian edict is useless.
EU will pay gazprom in euros, it's left for the Russian bank to change it to rubles or whatever and pay Putin.
It's a meaningless law, just some useless political point for Putin just like his pyrrhic battles in Ukraine.

Besides Putin can't just shut off the gas pipeline like it's tap water. He can’t keep oil and gas from coming out of the ground without capping wells, and storage capacity will get filled very fast if shipments stop cold, and then what what next?

And unlike what some ignorant pro putin are saying, he can't immediately switch to China or any other country such huge volumes. Russia has no pipeline to China or India. Putin will be stupid to stop 60 percent of his budget revenues.
How then will he fund his meaningless war?.
He's bluffing!

134 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by BabaIbo: 12:38am On Apr 03, 2022
LOL, e don dey clear for ya eyes abi, Putin!

16 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by tiswell(m): 12:39am On Apr 03, 2022
Putin conveyor of the new world order

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by JosephXavier: 12:40am On Apr 03, 2022
Russia is opening our eyes to international politics and I enjoy the episodes

I really want Russia to succeed with this as it will influence and reshape international businesses

Countries can choose the currency if payment when signing bilateral trade to avoid over dependence on dollars and resolve it's artificial scarcity

Akasammyoka:
Oga Russia is not quivering anything.
Lithuania rhra left are just the size and population of Ebonyi State si are irrelevant

Major countries like Austria and Germany must how to this because they don't have natural gas and must source for it outside

It didn't dey be say it didn't dey

No two ways about it

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by spafu(m): 12:41am On Apr 03, 2022
Mttcheew
Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Vicotex(m): 12:42am On Apr 03, 2022
Reasonable country, unlike US and EU that acts emotionally.

Russia to the world

21 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by southsouthking(m): 12:46am On Apr 03, 2022
Last kick of a dying horse
Anyway let the game of chess begin.

9 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by obailala(m): 12:49am On Apr 03, 2022
Akasammyoka:
They cant... At least not in the near term (i.e. 5-10 years)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by posty56: 12:52am On Apr 03, 2022
hehe, Putin don they twist mouth, oga decide now!, Try am see if ruble no go fall like water

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by obailala(m): 12:52am On Apr 03, 2022
SIRTee15:
Nobody is paying in ruble. EU is still paying in euros and will continue to do so.
Gazprom wasn't sanctioned by EU so the Russian edict is useless.
EU will pay gazprom in euros, it's left for the Russian bank to change it to rubles or whatever and pay Putin.
It's a meaningless law, just some useless political point for Putin just like his pyrrhic battles in Ukraine.

Besides Putin can't just shut off the gas pipeline like it's tap water. He can’t keep oil and gas from coming out of the ground without capping wells, and storage capacity will get filled very fast if shipments stop cold, and then what what next?

And unlike what some ignorant pro putin are saying, he can't immediately switch to China or any other country such huge volumes. Russia has no pipeline to China or India. Putin will be stupid to stop 60 percent of his budget revenues.
How then will he fight his meaningless war?.
He's bluffing!

Even the EU is bluffing too. The EU needs that gas as much as Russia needs that money.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by chronique(m): 12:53am On Apr 03, 2022
After this is over, a lot of changes in international trade would be made. Putin has opened the eyes of the world. It would no longer be business as usual for the west.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by Ola4lead(m): 12:57am On Apr 03, 2022
Uprightness100:

It's the other way round bro. Just about a yr ago or thereabout I rejected a fully sponsored move to the US

I don't hate the US. Lots of my Personal Family members are residents and citizens there.
What I hate is Evil and Abominations approved and advanced by the Government because I know it will Destroy her. It's in the Bible and we are seeing it live.

Sakamaje... Lol
All this na documents

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by PaNnamdi: 12:59am On Apr 03, 2022
cool
Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by PaNnamdi: 1:03am On Apr 03, 2022
Uprightness100:

It's the other way round bro. Just about a yr ago or thereabout I rejected a fully sponsored move to the US

I don't hate the US. Lots of my Personal Family members are residents and citizens there.
What I hate is Evil and Abominations approved and advanced by the Government because I know it will Destroy her. It's in the Bible and we are seeing it live.
Look at this drunk and confused clown grin grin
This jobless and mentally handicapped niga thought that by changing his moniker from rightouaness29 or whatever to uprightness whatever we nor go know am again cheesy cheesy
After all your hallucinations about Donald trump flying with you in heavens,u are here thinking about running to the USA as a refugee
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your mumu dey amuse me
cheesy cheesy

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by kolnel: 1:04am On Apr 03, 2022
Putin is just fighting a lost battle.
I'm sure he's regretting his actions behind closed doors.
if Putin cuts off the gas supply.
EU countries might suffer for a few months, but they will develop alternatives.
I'm sure Germany has learnt from this scuffle, and will henceforth reduce its dependence on Russian gas.
Russia, on the other hand, can't survive without the supply to Europe.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by BuyAndSellStuff: 1:05am On Apr 03, 2022
A lot of ignorant people on this forum.
Sad.
Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by obonujoker(m): 1:06am On Apr 03, 2022
Uprightness100:

[s]It's the other way round bro. Just about a yr ago or thereabout I rejected a fully sponsored move to the US

[/s]

Lol... Trumpist... or rather you want to prove a point that you were right about Trump being voted out.

Worry more about Nigeria than God's own country. There are already Righteous people there standing in the gap

33 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by PaNnamdi: 1:06am On Apr 03, 2022
chronique:
After this is over, a lot of changes in international trade would be made. Putin has opened the eyes of the world. It would no longer be business as usual for the west.
Tell your buhari to instigate Africa to stop using dollars na cheesy

Or is buhari now a strong president cool

7 Likes

Re: Russia Says It Won't Cut Off Gas Supplies Yet In Rouble Payment Row by chronique(m): 1:13am On Apr 03, 2022
PaNnamdi:

Tell your buhari to instigate Africa to stop using dollars na cheesy

Or is buhari now a strong president cool

I'm actually talking about countries that know their left from their right, not failed nations. Take away the south from Nigeria and leave the north to be called Nigeria and the country would be in the same category with Sudan and Somalia.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Irbil: Iran Launches 12 Missiles At Israeli 'Strategic Centers' In Iraq / Mangosuthu Buthelezi Dies At 95 In South Africa / Pope Says Ukraine Should Have The ‘Courage Of The White Flag’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.