Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,165 members, 7,856,689 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 04:08 AM

Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? (549 Views)

Man Sits And Drinks Beer In The Middle Of The Street In Enugu (Photo) / Chinese Turns Nigerian Soldier To A Maid In A Market [PICS] / Tribunal Verdict: Bayelsans Hit The Street In Jubilation [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by VaselineCrew: 11:55am On Apr 03, 2022
People just turn the streets in front of houses to mini markets, suya joints, food market, pepper, tomatoes...

Unless it’s a gated estate, it seems like Nigerians in Lagos just start selling anywhere.

Most of the streets in Lagos are an eyesore because of this, not to even mention the bad roads.

When you pay close attention, you can see the poverty and chaos of Lagos and Nigeria as a whole:-

Refuge heap next to a mansion

Open and vile gutters everywhere, the nastiest images you’d ever want to see while walking

Naked people bathing in broad daylight

Idle people just sitting by the road

Then back to the MARKETS, markets markets markets.

How can people just go to almost any area and start selling whatever?

What will it cost us to have Order in Nigeria? In Lagos? Or are we really really saying that we are animals, that this is a jungle? That we as blacks can never be organized?

You pray to your God, but isn’t God a God of ORDER! Even the universe in its chaos is still ordered, the earth is ordered into day and night, gravity is a constant, etc

I challenge any one of us who ever gets to government to promote order! I challenge current government to promote order.

You want to go to Dubai because or ORDER and LAW, but back home you just say “This is Nigeria”. What does that even mean.

So because this is Nigeria we have resigned to chaos? and you are fine with that?

Not me, no! I will never be fine with the chaos and I pray that you reading this will never be fine with it either.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Healths(f): 11:56am On Apr 03, 2022
Same with Onitsha... Every Street is a market and every household, a warehouse grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Totilopussylick(m): 11:59am On Apr 03, 2022
And they are not paying taxes sad shocked

Over here in Europe, you hardly see such thing.

Super market rock Europe.

It's only in Spain you will see shops but in a busy street.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Cutehector(m): 12:01pm On Apr 03, 2022
Thank God i chose to live in a sane environment. I cant just habit in a ghetto area.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Abdul05: 12:02pm On Apr 03, 2022
O boy ,are you in Nigeria or away right now....? You are a Nigerian [no doubt abt that].. grin. ..

But you talk as if you were a non nigerian ... ; grin

Any way, tell your type or own people to stop cuming to Lagos..s' grin

People want to live where is hope,,. grin
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Princess80(f): 12:05pm On Apr 03, 2022
Totilopussylick:

in Manhattan, NY, people sell on the streets too
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by aycapri(m): 12:07pm On Apr 03, 2022
I understand your point tho, but I think other developed countries do same thing but it is badly abused here.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by vanunu: 12:08pm On Apr 03, 2022
It is because of poverty and lack of class, it is almost like that in every part of Nigeria, that of Imo state is something else, you see people buying a house that worths over two hundred million , destroys it and build a market in its place. At Imo state university front gate, the school authority cut down trees on the verge of the school, and decided to build a market along the front gate. Poor mental upbringing and super greed could be blamed for this nonsense.
After coming back from abroad, you begin to wonder whether the authorities here have common sense.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by LokoH(m): 12:17pm On Apr 03, 2022
Here in Niger republic it is not like that
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2022

Idle people just sitting by the road
Na this one pain me pass. Very useless idiots idling their lives away gaping aimlessly at any one that passes by and constituting a nuisance all over the place.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by omoharry(f): 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2022
Hunger & poverty is the reason . It means that there cannot be any meaningful development in the environment if the people have not been empowered to at least feed comfortably .
They have to survive by all means so any means to make money suppases all manner of esthetic the government might want to put in place . Lagos is an example
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Prevent: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2022
Cutehector:
Thank God i chose to live in a sane environment. I cant just habit (in) of a ghetto area.
no offence.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by History555: 1:21pm On Apr 03, 2022
Every street market dey
Most house will build shop infront
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Tomek09(m): 1:36pm On Apr 03, 2022
Totilopussylick:

Which part of Europe you dey? Totilopussylick.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by EastisBae: 1:42pm On Apr 03, 2022
vanunu:
It is because of poverty and lack of class, it is almost like that in every part of Nigeria, that of Imo state is something else, you see people buying a house that worths over two hundred million , destroys it and build a market in its place. At Imo state university front gate, the school authority cut down trees on the verge of the school, and decided to build a market along the front gate. Poor mental upbringing and super greed could be blamed for this nonsense.
After coming back from abroad, you begin to wonder whether the authorities here have common sense.

It's really appalling but Rochas tried to stop or at least minimize it in Owerri but he faced backlash. Plazas are now competing with residential houses in the city yet shop rent is over the roof. That IMSU area you talked, shops there pay as much as 700k to 900k annually! Same applies to Wetheral road, Douglas road, Tetlow etc. Even the markets that were built in the outskirts are being abandoned. The irony is that most of these shops paying such crazy rent hardly breaks even. They will stay one year or two Max and liquidate or go elsewhere where rent is cheaper.

The worst problem is the number of idle people wasting away. This country will never develop if it continues like this because production is not taking place.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Totilopussylick(m): 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2022
Tomek09:

Which part of Europe you dey? Totilopussylick.
I am in Germany.
Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by babasolution: 3:04pm On Apr 03, 2022
The culture of the major tribes of Hausa,Igbo and Yoruba promotes disorderliness and chaos.

If you observe well,go to minority dominated states you will observe a sense of order and decorum.

But any major tribe dominated states,it's always chaos,dirtiness,disorderliness and general crudeness of the people.

The major tribes are disgusting

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Every Street In Lagos A Market? by Tomek09(m): 10:18am On Apr 04, 2022
Totilopussylick:
I am in Germany.
Okay.

(1) (Reply)

Happening Now IPOB Set Aguata Local Government Headquarters Ablaze / 2023: MURIC Rejects Sanwo-olu’s Endorsement For 2nd Term / The Yoruba Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.