Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society (62275 Views)

See What Happens When The Boot Of A Car Becomes Inadequate (PHOTOS) / Lady Buys A New Car To Celebrate Her 24th Birthday (Photos) / Man Crashes Rented Lamborghini As He Tries To Impress Woman He Met At A Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Lifeemetu(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2022
greatiyk4u:
While there is nothing wrong in buying and owning a car, cars are meant to serve so purpose not just to impress the society......

If you look around major Mechanic workshops you will see many parked vehicles of different varieties with so left for so long due to inability to afford the maintenance costs......no winder, the scrap dealers are cashing out from there

See how a whole Range Rover is humiliated in my neighbourhood'.

This actually happen when fraud pays you
And no maga falls for you.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Ayo7(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04, 2022
Sorry for your experience and good that you recovered.

I think that majority of Nigerians believe in"deceit" other than the "truth" even when the "truth" is before them. It may be due to our emotions. Market a bad product to them, they believe but tell the truth, they doubt. Unfortunately the price of deceit may be high and some never recover.

cuteralph101:
Before you buy a car read this

:

I posted this in January 2020....as at today I've spent over 900k on repairs accidents and mechanical issues. Car is milking me badly . Read

How I spent over 2.6 million on a car that gets me sad, embarrassed and frustrated. Now I am getting depressed…

Last year 22 June is one day I can't easily forget. I just got myself a Toyota Camry 2007 for my 25th Birthday. I bought the car for 1.8m from a very good friend of mine (8 years together). He buys and sells used and foreign (tokunbo) cars although not a certified dealer. He drove the car down to my loc and I accessed the car I was shocked as it was far from what I expected. On inspecting the car, I was not so impressed, despite having a california plate number like heck this shit supposed be better than i anticipated. The sound of the car was too noisy, the vibrations from the dashboard, the windscreen cracked (about 28inches), the interior a bit neat but the sound system to the gear lever area was not so neat. I began to doubt the prize of the car but we already negotiated at 1.8m. I asked if this car is okay, he affirmed that it is and can't sell a problem to his brother.

I drove the car out to look for a car diagnosing company but it was a rainy day had to come back not being able to get a car company to check the car. The car consumes fuel a little bit more than conventional 4 plugs and it raised further doubt about the roadworthiness of the car but what do I know car was moving although skips when entering gear 3. I didn't know much about all this as overtime I didn't put the discipline of owning a car with this being my second car am so ashamed. Went back home I asked my friend what's wrong with the car he affirmed again that nothing is wrong. A month later I started noticing oil stain where I park. I bent over and saw oil dripping my heart almost skipped while this is a small issue (I knew this later) I trembled…this car is just a month old. I spent 31k fixing this shit cos I was too busy to inspect the repairs. A week later the same issue occurred. This was getting too much.

This got me sad and mad and I was already regretting the choice of getting a car. I later opted for a car company (My worst mistake). Oil seal was fixed 4 times in 7 months oil keeps dripping from the engine. Between this period the car abruptly stops on the road and sometimes won't even start after parking. I suffered all this with a faulty steering pump which causes the steering to be stiff. Some car companies aren't trustworthy and won't likely be the solution to your car problems...but they got my car moving each time it breaks down and I paid the exorbitant cost for minor repairs for fear of this roadside mechanics. The drill continued and I kept repairing and kept paying. The worst happened in March this year when I had a hit with a reckless driver. The bonnet bent a little and bumper beyond repair. I painted the car after 11 days. I told a panel beater working with the painter to bring the car home for me on reaching close the car stopped. Suffered to get it home as the car keeps draining charged batteries.

The next day I called the car company to come take the car for checks and possible repair. The next day I was told the engine has to be ringed that it's not the alternator. Bill of 169k for everything. I opted for a new engine (2AZ and was billed 300k for everything by the same company). I also bought shaft for both legs (55k). The former engine I was told is now scrapped and would be sold for a small amount (I left it for them). The car was with them for about 7 weeks as I wasn't around. When the car was out, AC no longer working. I called and was told the compressor is bad and needs to be changed. Why me! Bill 148k Like my God what have I done...? I spent 96k to fix AC (I had to call someone else from the neighboring state). I discovered that the AC had been fixed before and resulted to change most of the AC components. had to rethink this whole spending, right now my windscreen is bad can't see well when it's raining, my headlamp bad not bright, my exhaust very noisy unwanted sound from the manifold and consumes fuel, the legs need to be checked again (camber bushing or what do they call it) and interior needs fixing. Other issues although not certain is the suspension.
After penning my frustration in this piece Nairaland kept banning me from uploading…I gave up trying. The worst right now my gear doesn't select after a journey of 112km to and fro where I base. I need to share this experience so people can learn from this.
The estimate for expenses carried out so far on repairs so far should be over 850k in one year (major repairs: New Engine + Shaft 355k, AC 96k, Legs [fixed twice] 64K {break pads, hub, tie rod, bushing etc}) (minor repairs: oil seal repair 4 times around 80k (new oil every time to put a new oil seal), Nozzle + Plugs + Fan + Key starter 44k, Exhaust (net) 10.4k. Others: painting 60k and panel beating 15k. (all of this excluding gear) Bought tires several times as they keep peeling off from bad alignment although Belgium tires. There are others I can't remember right now. All this excluding fuel. I honestly can't continue like this.

Fast forward to 2022
Later Sold it off in September for cheap and my mental health is back
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by SarkinYarki: 3:47pm On Apr 04, 2022
That's a an almost 20 year old Range sport , it had already depreciated to scrap value before your neighbor bought it ...If you can't afford a brand new luxury car then don't buy

4 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Femi8586(m): 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2022
Brian47:
Go buy a Honda or Toyota something that's cheap to maintain.
And something that would last for you.

Normally, Nigerians or let me say Africans are very careless users.
They abuse things a lot. The way they drive recklessly even on a bad road. And lastly, they're very bad at maintenance. They won't pay attention to these cars when it's signalling minor faults until it finally breaks down then they'll start crying fowl. Those cars don't like abuse unlike Toyotas, Hondas 2010 below dem.

I drive an Acura ZDX 2013 and with my proper maintenance and care, the car has been serving me quite well with no issue.

Na abuse dey cause all this wahala

6 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by lanre316: 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2022
Born2conquer:
I won't buy a luxury car until I leave Nigeria

May God Almighty grant your wishes and mine too. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by nosleep: 3:50pm On Apr 04, 2022
Oga you would have sell the parts. You just sold death to an inocent man embarassed
cuteralph101:

:

I posted this in January 2020....as at today I've spent over 900k on repairs accidents and mechanical issues. Car is milking me badly . Read

How I spent over 2.6 million on a car that gets me sad, embarrassed and frustrated. Now I am getting depressed…

Last year 22 June is one day I can't easily forget. I just got myself a Toyota Camry 2007 for my 25th Birthday. I bought the car for 1.8m from a very good friend of mine (8 years together). He buys and sells used and foreign (tokunbo) cars although not a certified dealer. He drove the car down to my loc and I accessed the car I was shocked as it was far from what I expected. On inspecting the car, I was not so impressed, despite having a california plate number like heck this shit supposed be better than i anticipated. The sound of the car was too noisy, the vibrations from the dashboard, the windscreen cracked (about 28inches), the interior a bit neat but the sound system to the gear lever area was not so neat. I began to doubt the prize of the car but we already negotiated at 1.8m. I asked if this car is okay, he affirmed that it is and can't sell a problem to his brother.

I drove the car out to look for a car diagnosing company but it was a rainy day had to come back not being able to get a car company to check the car. The car consumes fuel a little bit more than conventional 4 plugs and it raised further doubt about the roadworthiness of the car but what do I know car was moving although skips when entering gear 3. I didn't know much about all this as overtime I didn't put the discipline of owning a car with this being my second car am so ashamed. Went back home I asked my friend what's wrong with the car he affirmed again that nothing is wrong. A month later I started noticing oil stain where I park. I bent over and saw oil dripping my heart almost skipped while this is a small issue (I knew this later) I trembled…this car is just a month old. I spent 31k fixing this shit cos I was too busy to inspect the repairs. A week later the same issue occurred. This was getting too much.

This got me sad and mad and I was already regretting the choice of getting a car. I later opted for a car company (My worst mistake). Oil seal was fixed 4 times in 7 months oil keeps dripping from the engine. Between this period the car abruptly stops on the road and sometimes won't even start after parking. I suffered all this with a faulty steering pump which causes the steering to be stiff. Some car companies aren't trustworthy and won't likely be the solution to your car problems...but they got my car moving each time it breaks down and I paid the exorbitant cost for minor repairs for fear of this roadside mechanics. The drill continued and I kept repairing and kept paying. The worst happened in March this year when I had a hit with a reckless driver. The bonnet bent a little and bumper beyond repair. I painted the car after 11 days. I told a panel beater working with the painter to bring the car home for me on reaching close the car stopped. Suffered to get it home as the car keeps draining charged batteries.

The next day I called the car company to come take the car for checks and possible repair. The next day I was told the engine has to be ringed that it's not the alternator. Bill of 169k for everything. I opted for a new engine (2AZ and was billed 300k for everything by the same company). I also bought shaft for both legs (55k). The former engine I was told is now scrapped and would be sold for a small amount (I left it for them). The car was with them for about 7 weeks as I wasn't around. When the car was out, AC no longer working. I called and was told the compressor is bad and needs to be changed. Why me! Bill 148k Like my God what have I done...? I spent 96k to fix AC (I had to call someone else from the neighboring state). I discovered that the AC had been fixed before and resulted to change most of the AC components. had to rethink this whole spending, right now my windscreen is bad can't see well when it's raining, my headlamp bad not bright, my exhaust very noisy unwanted sound from the manifold and consumes fuel, the legs need to be checked again (camber bushing or what do they call it) and interior needs fixing. Other issues although not certain is the suspension.
After penning my frustration in this piece Nairaland kept banning me from uploading…I gave up trying. The worst right now my gear doesn't select after a journey of 112km to and fro where I base. I need to share this experience so people can learn from this.
The estimate for expenses carried out so far on repairs so far should be over 850k in one year (major repairs: New Engine + Shaft 355k, AC 96k, Legs [fixed twice] 64K {break pads, hub, tie rod, bushing etc}) (minor repairs: oil seal repair 4 times around 80k (new oil every time to put a new oil seal), Nozzle + Plugs + Fan + Key starter 44k, Exhaust (net) 10.4k. Others: painting 60k and panel beating 15k. (all of this excluding gear) Bought tires several times as they keep peeling off from bad alignment although Belgium tires. There are others I can't remember right now. All this excluding fuel. I honestly can't continue like this.

Fast forward to 2022
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Goldbw122(m): 3:52pm On Apr 04, 2022
Ayo7:
Range or Land Rover is easy to maintain if one pays attention. Many Toyotas on the road are almost dead due to poor maintenance.

It is expensive to repair that is what I mean.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by heniford2: 3:54pm On Apr 04, 2022
Innoson would have been a better option but black mentality undecided

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by bonnyhope: 3:54pm On Apr 04, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Isoright

That is why sensible people just buy corrola and relax

Yes o

All na to be mobile
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Ayo7(m): 3:54pm On Apr 04, 2022
Poor preventive maintenance leads to high corrective maintenance. Range or Land Rovers don't break down like that.

Goldbw122:

It is expensive to repair that is what I mean.

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by alyarmouk(m): 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
Op, thanks to find out if they are willing to sell that range Rover, as it is.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by MemoriesAndMe: 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2022
planetE:
No go dey do pass yourself. To have the mentality of impressing people when you no too dey gallant is the beginning of doom and downfall.

Most people wey dey live to impress people, nah dem dey live fake life pass.

Funny thing be say those wey them dey impress no even send

Just live your life freely, when u never reach D real level no dey fake àhm say u don reach ahm

Breeze go soon blow and your yansh go dey open

I honestly don't think everyone that buys a car did to oppress people around them. A car is a necessity and really shouldn't be seen as some type of achievement. In sane countries, everyone that has a job can get a car they like - if they can't afford to get it cash, they can get a loan for it.

Its in Nigeria everyone thinks this person is trying to oppress them by buying a car when the person may not even know them.

The person may have bought the car to ease transportation for his or her family, but one nosey neighbor sitting somewhere is thinking he's trying to oppress me, which isn't the case most of the time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2022
kabukabu50:

Absolute rubbish.

Range Rovers are among the least reliable luxury cars and I live in the States where you can get them for cheap.Most are leases,and get dumped after 60k miles.Usually 2nd owners get them cheap then drive them into the ground.
In this is how they get used over here with plenty of access to the best maintenance techs and equipment.
They are top shelf luxury SUVs but it just isnt built for longevity compared to a Lexus or even a Mercedes.

Noted, depends on the user....

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by jrusky(m): 4:02pm On Apr 04, 2022
Brendaniel:
E be like say that place na burial ground for motors, the other jeep we dey front don die before the range rover, the car still dey serve sha, at least e dey help person dry cloth...

Haaa you wicked I swear. You no kill me with laugh abeg.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by cuteralph101(m): 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2022
nosleep:
Oga you would have sell the parts. You just sold death to an inocent man embarassed
am not wicked...I explained every damn issue to the buyer. I mean every damn thing. Without hiding any. The man hasn't called me ever since � �

6 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Kayykayy(m): 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2022
Those cars are difficult to maintain.

Meanwhile I have a clean Toyota Camry 2007 for sale,2.2m,slightly negotiable 07036587049
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2022
greatiyk4u:
While there is nothing wrong in buying and owning a car, cars are meant to serve so purpose not just to impress the society......

If you look around major Mechanic workshops you will see many parked vehicles of different varieties with so left for so long due to inability to afford the maintenance costs......no winder, the scrap dealers are cashing out from there

See how a whole Range Rover is humiliated in my neighbourhood'.

When you buy a car, make sure you have liquid cash that is equivalent to the cost of the car which you have invested in a Money Market Fund e get why

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
Revolution2022:
When you come enter bike or Keke people around the neighbourhood will be wondering why you do not drive your range rover.You go even dey uncomfortable.
Cars like that range rover cannot be repair by a roadside mechanic.Na computer dem dey use detect the fault and if you drive am to a repair workshop you go first pay #20k as registration before dem go open the car.The #20k is not part of the repair.
Aswear, owning a car as that is a problem not enjoyment because by the time the car get fault and mechanic bill you,you go begin get depression.
this is not true….I use a benz and it’s a road side Mech that works for me….before a programmer is used on a car,it depends on the problem…80% of faults of this sophisticated cars don’t even need a programming box…faults ranging from ballon,shocks,steering,brakes,don’t need a program to detect or fix…Yes,problem with gear needs a programmer but it happens only in a blue moon…I changed the ISM of my benz for 350,they programmed the chassis on it for 50k,not everyone can afford the prices of this car parts.front axle of Acura MDX 2010 is 95k,for this harsh economy

7 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Beedude(m): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
Na yahoo guys dey do that thing pass. You hit 10m then buy car of 5m or 6m just to showoff.
If you arent careful, you go sell am lass lass ni cos gear problem alone can make you run madt

7 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Born2conquer: 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
lanre316:

May God Almighty grant your wishes and mine too. Amen.
Anen
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
dopedan:
I go by the principle ‘if you can’t buy it twice, you can’t afford it’

You are a wise guy

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by cuteralph101(m): 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2022
Timblogga:
the guy that sold that car to you is not your friend. Dude scammed you with a terrible Naija used. Moreover 2007 4 cylinder Camry is a no go area. It has factory issues too, but I’m sure yours was a dead Naija used.
obviously...but man if u see this car from pictures ud never believe.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by oshorstan(f): 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Isoright

That is why sensible people just buy corrola and relax

Where have u been guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by mployer(m): 4:12pm On Apr 04, 2022
cuteralph101:

:

Fast forward to 2022

This is terrible.
I think you are not a strong-willed person. Your first mistake was using sentiment to buy a car you didn't like just because a friend told you it's ok

Again, you knew the car company was ripping you off but you couldn't complain because you saw them as proffessionals.

When you get your next car, use different mechanics. Show same problem to each of them and evaluate their answers. Make some Google search too.

I always have this mindset that every mechanics is planning to rip me off and that there's always a good and cheaper means of solving every car problem. So, when they talk to me, I try to connect the dots.

Don't be surprised a ringed engine was sold to you as tokunbo while your own engine is ringed and kept for another person.

I have used my Corolla for one year now and have spent less than 50k on maintenance. Never spent more than 15k at a time.

10 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by cuteralph101(m): 4:20pm On Apr 04, 2022
mployer:

This is terrible.
I think you are not a strong-willed person. Your first mistake was using sentiment to buy a car you didn't like just because a friend told you it's ok

Again, you knew the car company was ripping you off but you couldn't complain because you saw them as proffessionals.

When you get your next car, use different mechanics. Show same problem to each of them and evaluate their answers. Make some Google search too.

I always have this mindset that every mechanics is planning to rip me off and that there's always a good and cheaper means of solving every car problem. So, when they talk to me, I try to connect the dots.

Don't be surprised a ringed engine was sold to you as tokunbo while your own engine is ringed and kept for another person.

I have used my Corolla for one year now and have spent less than 50k on maintenance. Never spent more than 15k at a time.
I learnt the hard way...

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Timblogga: 4:21pm On Apr 04, 2022
cuteralph101:
obviously...but man if u see this car from pictures ud never believe.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Brownshoe: 4:24pm On Apr 04, 2022
Op have you find out if the owner is still alive, you just post anything.

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Steep: 4:27pm On Apr 04, 2022
Range rover is a serious offroad suv

3 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by fineboynl(m): 4:30pm On Apr 04, 2022
cuteralph101:

:

Fast forward to 2022
you bought the wrong and abused car.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Saviourfresh: 4:45pm On Apr 04, 2022
Instead of taking care of their needs, they're taking care of their wants by deceiving themselves.

I am available for writing jobs.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by Teameric: 5:17pm On Apr 04, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
as the saying goes:"Today, so many gullible people are buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like"
this is deep... never had that saying before, but it just summarizes the lives of people around me...
Re: This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society by leTrizzle: 5:17pm On Apr 04, 2022
Esseite:
Sorry to say... but too many shallow minded poverty mentality folks in the thread.

All cars from 2010 above are Digitally inclined, as virtually all have OBD plugs. To scan and detect faults. Which makes repairs easier and a simple scan would lead to parts to be changed. The world would keep progressing and not remain stagnant for Africa as we even have electric cars today.

The problem we have in Nigeria is mechanics whom have refused to upgrade and users whom never pay attention to their cars. Your feed yourself, workout and do regular check ups to maintain your body, your car should be treated accordingly aswell. In cars, when you catch the fault young, it saves you a lot of stress rather than when it escalates.

That rangerover is a very solid car, with regular required maintenance, the engine lid may not be opened for years, the balloon shocks can take you for years without change while all you need is a N5,000 calibration when you detect irregularities. Cars dont last a lifetime unless well maintained. Moreover we should understand that it does its job by getting you from point A to B in grand style, gives you all the accolades and tags, comfort and bridges, yet putting in considerate proper care is termed excessive.
Very well said. The problem of most car owners in naija is mechanics especially those that remove car thermostat.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos) / Man Uses "Juju" To Secure His Car After It Broke Down In A Ghetto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.