Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,793 members, 7,862,626 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:11 PM

The APC Consensus Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The APC Consensus Candidate (441 Views)

Hope Uzodinma Pushed For Lawan As APC Consensus Candidate - Lukman / Ali Modu Sheriff May Emerge As APC Consensus Candidate / Oshiomhole Group Picks Ize-Iyamu As Edo APC Consensus Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The APC Consensus Candidate by NaijaCowFarm: 10:47pm On Apr 03, 2022
With APC convention now over and Buhari picking Adamu as the Chairman of APC, the next big thing is the presidential candidate.

Feelers with the corridors of power and the new APC leadership are in favour of a consensus arrangement. In fact, Buhari himself has promised to campaign for the consensus candidate in the North to ensure he hands over to his favoured candidate.

The question on the lips of everyone is "who is Buhari's candidate?"

In attempting to answer this question, two or three points are critical. First off APC has been making every effort to wean itself off the toga of "an Islamic Party. Much as it has tried, it is still seen as such in much of Southern Nigeria, Hence, with Adamu, a Muslim, anointed and elected as Chairman, the next APC presidential candidate is obviously going to be a Christian from the South. Many would recall that the interim chairman of APC, Alh Bisi Akande, a Muslim could not be elected because a Muslim president, Muhammadu Buhari, a Muslim was the candidate. The scenario would have been different if Senator George Akume, a Christian was elected.

This effectively makes Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu's presidential ambition fall off the platform. It is FACT of life that come 2023, the Jagaban SHALL NOT be flying the APC ticket. Tinubu himself already knows this, hence his proxies have been romancing with the SDP, I hope they do well in Ekiti anyway!

My second point bothers on the type of person or political stance of Buhari's choice. It could be recalled that the president rejected the first electoral bill on two grounds, first because it included Direct Primaries for all political parties, and secondly because it did not provide for a consensus candidate. Upon amendment by NASS, Buhari again pointed out the insertion of section 84 (12). The latter disqualified political appointees from becoming delegates while still in office. The presidency sort to have this removed, even with a meeting and pledge by NASS leadership that the President should proceed to assent to the bill, after which NASS could amend it. the latter was however rebuffed by NASS.
Then, a High Court in Umuahia declared Section 84 (12) as invalid, null and void. The matter which neither NASS, who agreed to appeal nor any one has done, at least not to my knowledge.

Now, the above actions by the president and his body language clearly point to one thing. That is that Buhari's choice is NOT an elected person, neither is he a person that Section 84 (12) of the electoral act does not affect. basis above, none of the following presidential aspirants, who were elected were favoured by Buhari, namely Yemi Osinbajo, Yahaya Bello, Fayemi Kayode, Orji Kalu and David Umahi. Also, this technically knocks off Goodluck Jonathan, as he was neither appointed nor elected, but taunted as likely successor to Buhari.

Hence, it is safe to say that Buhari's favourite is likely to be either Rotimi Amaechi or Godwin Emefiele. Or possible Ogbonnaya Onu or Chris Ngige, both of who though being rumoured as having presidential interest, have generally been mute on the matter.

In conclusion, Buhari's preferred candidate is ROTIMI AMAECHI, with a fallback option on Mr Godwin Emefiele. Again my reasons are these. Since becoming president, Buhari has been accused of marginalizing the Igbos. Buhari himself did not make matters fair when he described the Igbos as 5% vote and lately as a dot in the circle. He has been trying to prove that he does not really hate the Igbos. However, the Hausa-Fulani do not trust that a core Igbo president would not dismember Nigeria. Hence, a minority Igbo became an option. Here it is. If Amaechi becomes the president, he would rather that Nigeria remains indivisible, because in a Biafra nation, his dialectical tribe, the Etches, though Igbos, would never have a say in Biafra. The same is applicable to Godwin Emefiele, who thought Delta Igbo, his dialectical tribe, Ikas would never have a say in a Biafra nation. So, choosing either Rotimi Amaechi or Godwin Emefiele would achieve three things. One, douse the agitation of marginalization by the Igbos (just like Obj was used to calm the Yorubas for Abiola killing), secondly, elect an Ibo man who would eternally be grateful to the North for his election, and thirdly have in Aso Rock an Iboman who would defend the indivisibility of Nigeria.

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by Parachoko: 10:52pm On Apr 03, 2022
A muslim party chairman won't stop a muslim candidate from becoming the party presidential candidate.

A concensus won't work in the APC, unless Tinubu is choosen.

I do not want to know why people do not want to accept the fact that except for Buhari, no other Politician comes close to Tinubu in the APC.

3 Likes

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by NaijaCowFarm: 11:02pm On Apr 03, 2022
Parachoko:
A muslim party chairman won't stop a muslim candidate from becoming the party presidential candidate.

A consensus won't work in the APC, unless Tinubu is choose.

I do not want to know why people do not want to accept the fact that except for Buhari, no other Politician comes close to Tinubu in the APC.

I remembered saying this on this forum some months back, except the following three die before APC primaries, Tinubu is going NOWHERE!
- Muhammadu Buhari - he cannot hand over Nigeria to a known grabber who has turned Lagos into his personal estate.
- Abdullahi Adamu - OBJ friend and political ally will NEVER support a Tinubu presidency
-Yemi Osinbajo - Osinbajo is loyal to Buhari and will never go against his boss. However, if Buhari were to fall down today and die, Osinbajo would never cede the presidency to Tinubu for any reason, loyalty or not.

2 Likes

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by Parachoko: 11:21pm On Apr 03, 2022
NaijaCowFarm:

I remembered saying this on this forum some months back, except the following three die before APC primaries, Tinubu is going NOWHERE!
- Muhammadu Buhari - he cannot hand over Nigeria to a known grabber who has turned Lagos into his personal estate.
- Abdullahi Adamu - OBJ friend and political ally will NEVER support a Tinubu presidency
-Yemi Osinbajo - Osinbajo is loyal to Buhari and will never go against his boss. However, if Buhari were to fall down today and die, Osinbajo would never cede the presidency to Tinubu for any reason, loyalty or not.
Show me where you said Unless Adamu die, Tinubu won't get the ticket, only then will I know you are not a joker.

1 Like

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by Parachoko: 11:24pm On Apr 03, 2022
Tinubu can't be outmuscle from contesting by Adamu or Buhari.

I've not still seen any candidate in the APC that will take the ticket from him.

If Osinbajo contest against him for the ticket, he will defeat Osinbajo

1 Like

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by MikoB: 11:35pm On Apr 03, 2022
NaijaCowFarm:
With APC convention now over and Buhari picking Adamu as the Chairman of APC, the next big thing is the presidential candidate.

Feelers with the corridors of power and the new APC leadership are in favour of a consensus arrangement. In fact, Buhari himself has promised to campaign for the consensus candidate in the North to ensure he hands over to his favoured candidate.

In attempting to answer this question, two or three points are critical. First off APC has been making every effort to wean itself off the toga of "an Islamic Party. Much as it has tried, it is still seen as such in much of Southern Nigeria, Hence, with Adamu, a Muslim, anointed and elected as Chairman, the next APC presidential candidate is obviously going to be a Christian from the South. Many would recall that the interim chairman of APC, Alh Bisi Akande, a Muslim could not be elected because a Muslim president, Muhammadu Buhari, a Muslim was the candidate. The scenario would have been different if Senator George Akume, a Christian was elected.

This effectively makes Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu's presidential ambition fall off the platform. It is FACT of life that come 2023, the Jagaban SHALL NOT be flying the APC ticket. Tinubu himself already knows this, hence his proxies have been romancing with the SDP, I hope they do well in Ekiti anyway!

My second point bothers on the type of person or political stance of Buhari's choice. It could be recalled that the president rejected the first electoral bill on two grounds, first because it included Direct Primaries for all political parties, and secondly because it did not provide for a consensus candidate. Upon amendment by NASS, Buhari again pointed out the insertion of section 84 (12). The latter disqualified political appointees from becoming delegates while still in office. The presidency sort to have this removed, even with a meeting and pledge by NASS leadership that the President should proceed to assent to the bill, after which NASS could amend it. the latter was however rebuffed by NASS.
Then, a High Court in Umuahia declared Section 84 (12) as invalid, null and void. The matter which neither NASS, who agreed to appeal nor any one has done, at least not to my knowledge.

Now, the above actions by the president and his body language clearly point to one thing. That is that Buhari's choice is NOT an elected person, neither is he a person that Section 84 (12) of the electoral act does not affect. basis above, none of the following presidential aspirants, who were elected were favoured by Buhari, namely Yemi Osinbajo, Yahaya Bello, Fayemi Kayode, Orji Kalu and David Umahi. Also, this technically knocks off Goodluck Jonathan, as he was neither appointed nor elected, but taunted as likely successor to Buhari.

Hence, it is safe to say that Buhari's favourite is likely to be either Rotimi Amaechi or Godwin Emefiele. Or possible Ogbonnaya Onu or Chris Ngige, both of who though being rumoured as having presidential interest, have generally been mute on the matter.

In conclusion, Buhari's preferred candidate is ROTIMI AMAECHI, with a fallback option on Mr Godwin Emefiele. Again my reasons are these. Since becoming president, Buhari has been accused of marginalizing the Igbos. Buhari himself did not make matters fair when he described the Igbos as 5% vote and lately as a dot in the circle. He has been trying to prove that he does not really hate the Igbos. However, the Hausa-Fulani do not trust that a core Igbo president would not dismember Nigeria. Hence, a minority Igbo became an option. Here it is. If Amaechi becomes the president, he would rather that Nigeria remains indivisible, because in a Biafra nation, his dialectical tribe, the Etches, though Igbos, would never have a say in Biafra. The same is applicable to Godwin Emefiele, who thought Delta Igbo, his dialectical tribe, Ikas would never have a say in a Biafra nation. So, choosing either Rotimi Amaechi or Godwin Emefiele would achieve three things. One, douse the agitation of marginalization by the Igbos (just like Obj was used to calm the Yorubas for Abiola killing), secondly, elect an Ibo man who would eternally be grateful to the North for his election, and thirdly have in Aso Rock an Iboman who would defend the indivisibility of Nigeria.

Forget this your long episode, section 84 that you talked about it wasn't because of Amaechi or any other southerner buhari didn't want it because of malami,is a known fact that he has eyes for kebbi governorship election, so stop the craps, apc will only fail if they don't choose their candidate from sw who has 5 current governors, are you serious at all?

1 Like

Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by BlazinGlory40: 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2022
NaijaCowFarm:

Honestly, I am not a tribalist and have never viewed our politics through that lens. But you see Amaechi, as much as I like him and stood by him during the running battle he had with the GEJ led government then, I am not particularly enthusiastic about his candidacy. The reason is simple, he is not a core easterner. As much as you try to paint him as an igbo person, the fact remains that he is from the SS. It’s like the yorubas wanting the presidency to go to the west and rather than pick a westerner, you go to pick a yoruba from kogi or kwara that are in the NC zone. There’s a big difference between ethnicity and geopolitical zone. It is not right in my opinion for SS to take the slot of SE as it is wrong for NC to take the slot of SW.
Re: The APC Consensus Candidate by leokid866: 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2022
Oga go and sit down, APC has never run it's presidential primaries through concensus and they won't start today......in fact no political party in Nigeria has run it's presidential primaries through the concensus method......yes there may be a preferred candidate but others are still allowed to contests.

(1) (Reply)

My Near Kidnapping Experience In Kogi / 2023 Presidential Aspirants So Far: Contenders And Pretenders In The Race / 2023 Presidency: I'M More Qualified Than Tinubu, Atiku, Wike, Osinbajo, Others-a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.