Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,521 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Announcing Scholarship For Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Announcing Scholarship For Students (3579 Views)

Unilorin Pro-chancellor Dies Weeks After Announcing VC Designate / Ondo Govt. Hands Off Payment Of WAEC Exam For Students / Borno Govt Pays N300m WAEC, NECO 2017 Examination Fees For Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by illicit(m): 12:29am On Apr 27, 2022
Newfoundlove:

I joined NL on January 6, can I participate?

Cc cochtrane
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by cochtrane(m): 1:14am On Apr 27, 2022
Newfoundlove:

I joined NL on January 6, can I participate?
Yes, you can.
"The sole requirement is that you must be a student in a Nigerian University"

1 Like

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Quicksilver5: 11:16am On Apr 27, 2022
my daughter in secondary school would like to apply
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by seankafor(m): 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2022
Summary of my submission on essay 2+2=4

It's a widely general fact that 2+2=4, but our mind and thinking shouldn't be limited to it. There should be room for thinking outside the box and bringing a whole new innovations.
2+2 can be whatever you want it to be so long as there is a strong evidence and illustrations to back up your claims.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Lastbornbuns: 7:50pm On Apr 27, 2022
Nothing to see here smiley
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Quicksilver5: 2:39pm On Apr 29, 2022
@cochtrane, Should it be typed or written or any of them?
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Kingkyle1(m): 12:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
[quote author=cochtrane post=111676336]Okay, please submit your interest this way:

You have one of two options:

Option 1:
-write a creative essay on the subject "2 plus 2..."

Your writing should show creativity and depth of thought. It should be no less than 1000 words. You can write more if you want, but it's preferable to keep it below 2000 words. Write in a clear and concise way and let your mind wander. The topic is "2 plus 2...". So, you are free to come up with whatever theme you find suitable. But stay on the subject. If your writing doesn't stay on the subject, you won't win.

I sent you a pm
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Benblaq(m): 3:31pm On Apr 30, 2022
iListen
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by cochtrane(m): 3:45pm On May 01, 2022
Quicksilver5:
@cochtrane, Should it be typed or written or any of them?
Any method is fine. Just make sure it is clearly written.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Quicksilver5: 8:31pm On May 02, 2022
I've sent my daughters essay to you sir
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Addme: 2:44pm On May 03, 2022
cochtrane:

Any method is fine. Just make sure it is clearly written.
I want to submit my essay but want to establish communication with you first.
I have sent a DM
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by cochtrane(m): 4:42pm On May 03, 2022
All,

Please make sure to put a summary here. Otherwise I may not be able to track your submission in my email. I need to tie those who have submitted to those who sent emails. I get several emails.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Addme: 6:48pm On May 03, 2022
Summary of my essay

2+2=4
Going by the mathematical calculation,2+2 will definitely give you 4 but it's not always like that in reality as 2+2 can give you any results depending on the fate life throws at you.

I related the topic with Nigerians' expectations in 2015 when we all voted the present government with the "Change" mantra believing that our 2+2 would equal 4 but as things would "CHANGE" for the better but our calculations were later wrong as all expectations were dashed which eventually turn our 2+2 not to equal 4

I also related our topic to the believe of all gamblers that have forecasted and even perused all predictions site that predicted a certain strong Barcelona side to defeat almost relegated Cadiz at home believing that 2+2 would definitely give 4 and they could never go wrong but Iife threw another spanner into the game and 2+2 was never 4 as a favourite Barcelona side lost at home to Cadiz.

I related the subject matter with so many life experiences that show that mathematical calculations do not always correct when it comes to reality.

In the end,I opined that though 2+2 might not equal to 4 in many reality checks but somehow,this calculation works for some people as all their plans are always fulfilled the way they have planned it and I ended it that depending on the side of coins life throws at you,2+2 could actually equal to 4 or not equal to 4.

cc: cochtrane
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Kingkyle1(m): 1:44am On May 04, 2022
In my own essay on the subject matter, I had to go a profound length while trying to unravel the dynamism of 2plus2...
2plus2... may not be that of which many think it to be. Could it be possible the answer is just 4 or are there other possibilities or answers therein? Could it also be a philosophical expression or just a meaningless one?
What are we really dealing with here?
While making my supposed assumptions and submissions, I had to relate it to the situation of our nation today.

2 Likes

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Lastbornbuns: 3:14am On May 04, 2022
My essay on 2 plus 2 is about expectations, modern controversies and the shift towards "being woke".

Cochtrane
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Duchessree(f): 11:10am On May 05, 2022
Good day sir, there was an error in my mail so i had to send it twice, please pardon me.
My essay is on
CALCULUS: DIFFERENTIATION AND INTEGRATION
Mathematicians and philosophers have been playing with the concept of calculus for ages all the way back to the ancient times, but it wasn't until the 17th century that it was realize that integration and differentiation are inverse operation just like multiplication and division or addition and subtraction.
Integration and differentiation are linked and this realization was what unified centuries of tinkering to yield modern calculus.
Modern calculus was discovered in the 17th century by two mathematician who are; sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz. Calculus is the study of continuous change and it is divided in two major branches which are; differential calculus (differentiation) and integral calculus (integration).
The fundamental theorem of calculus is an idea developed to study change by studying instantaneous change, by which mean changes over tiny intervals of time. This  theorem links the concept of differentiating a function (calculating the gradient) with the concept of integrating a function (calculating the area under the curve).
Calculus is used in many branches of science; in the study of graph, calculus is used to find the low and high part, the gradient in every point in a graph. Calculus also helps in finding solution to various differential equations, physics also make use of calculus in the respect of finding acceleration, velocity with change in time. In economics, calculus is used in the determination of a maximal profit by providing an easy way to calculate marginal cost and marginal revenue. It can also be used to study supply and demand curves.
Calculus provides ways of solving problems involving motions. Calculus can be used to study any situation where a rate of increase or decrease is involved (rate of change) examples are the distance of a car in response to time, the flight of a rocket, e.t.c
With the development of calculus over the years we’ve been able to understand continuously changing properties.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Kreddy: 4:48pm On May 05, 2022
What is 2+2? Is it four? Five? No, it’s not. It’s not any of these. Instead, 2+2 is a concept in geometry. It is the relationship between two right angles and two right angles. Two right angles are 90 degrees. They are a special type of angle. They are the kind of angle that when you add two of them, you get four 90 degree angles. This is what makes 2+2=4. If you want to learn more about geometric concepts, check out this article about the properties of triangles. This article lists 32 geometric facts that you must know. You might find it interesting.
Two plus two
This is the most basic geometric concept. It is the relationship between two right angles and two right angles. A right angle is an angle that is 90 degrees. It is formed from two lines that are perpendicular to each other. You can also think of it as two lines that are crossing each other at an angle of 90 degrees.
What is a Right Angle?
Right angles are special angles. You can think of it that way: angles that form a right angle are right angles.
2+2=4
This relationship can be stated in many different ways. One way is that 4=2+2 or 2+2=4
Is it 4?
This question is asking whether or not the relationship between 2+2 and 4 is a fact or a theory.
2+2=4 Proof
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Tekahashi: 10:40pm On May 05, 2022
.Giving the topic 2 plus 2 a literal meaning, my essay (fictional) follows the story of a child born with deformities, those around her where quick to term her diabolical. The essay goes on to show that we are what we say we are not what some other persons thinks of us, know your worth and never look look down on yourself.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by JasperjNr: 12:09am On May 06, 2022
I opted to write on the essay, 'two plus two'.
my essay is about values, propagandas and ideas that are embedded in the society for people to follow. What if these are lies? false? How do we benefit still? How do we react. The essay shows the disparity and the clear fact of what happens when the bosses say the sum of two and two gives five and when they are challenged by the insignificant ones who dare speak up. Those that have the will-power to defend the truth.

please I am still relatively new to Nairaland and I do not know How to send him the word document, please, any help will be appreciated, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Lastbornbuns: 1:30am On May 06, 2022
JasperjNr:
I opted to write on the essay, 'two plus two'.
my essay is about values, propagandas and ideas that are embedded in the society for people to follow. What if these are lies? false? How do we benefit still? How do we react. The essay shows the disparity and the clear fact of what happens when the bosses say the sum of two and two gives five and when they are challenged by the insignificant ones who dare speak up. Those that have the will-power to defend the truth.

please I am still relatively new to Nairaland and I do not know How to send him the word document, please, any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Click on his name to get to his profile. Once there, you'll see "send an email" click on it and send.

1 Like

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Benblaq(m): 8:09am On May 06, 2022
Hello everyone,

I did a presentation on Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). ANOVA is a test/experiment carried out to check for differences within a group of items. For example: to check if different brands of fertilizer have the same effect on animals in a farm or not, to check if the type of cars rented affect the length of the rental period, or if tobacco affects the weight of humans, etc. There are different types of ANOVA and I talked about the one-way ANOVA—the type with one independent variable.

I showed the Statistical model of the one-way ANOVA and explained them, also showed the Statistical layout and estimated the parameters using partial differentiation..

In the end, I formulated a question/experiment to show a real life application of the one-way ANOVA.

Ephraim
Statistics Department, University of Calabar.

3 Likes

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by yungevvy(m): 9:25am On May 06, 2022
Benblaq:
Hello everyone,

I did a presentation on Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). ANOVA is a test/experiment carried out to check for differences within a group of items. For example, to check if different brands of fertilizer have the same effect on animals in a farm or not; to check if the type of cars rented affect the length of the rental period, or if tobacco affects the weight of humans, etc. There are different types of ANOVA and I talked about the one-way ANOVA—the type with one independent variable.

I showed the Statistical model of the one-way ANOVA and explained them, also showed the Statistical layout and estimated the parameters using partial differentiation..

In the end, I formulated a question/experiment to show a real life application of the one-way ANOVA.

Ephraim
Statistics Department, University of Calabar.

A fellow Malabite smiley
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by yungevvy(m): 1:49pm On May 06, 2022
My essay is titled "2+2: musings on mathematicism". Being fascinated by mathematics, I had to write on what I felt was a controversial issue amongst scholars, and everyday users of math like myself. The essay presents what mathematicism is, and attempts to give reasons why it as a philosophy is a valid endeavor, whilst asking some pertinent questions. Was mathematics created, or it was simply discovered, what do you think? smiley
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by MrHistorian: 1:49pm On May 06, 2022
Summary of my "Two Plus Two" Essay.

Two plus two represents the arithmetic addition of 2 and another 2. While this might look like a simple mathematical calculation, I believe the meaning and importance of it transcends the field of Mathematics to different areas of life and I showed this in my essay.

I explored the mathematical expression of '2+2' as a simple addition calculation that a person needs to be able to solve before embarking on more complex addition calculations such as 1,655,789 + 2,647,921. I took it further by stating the importance of the basic knowledge of a process when embarking on a more complicated aspect of that same process.

I also captured '2+2' as an addition of 2 different numbers of the same value which result into 4 which is a number of a higher value. I used this to address the importance of equality and collaboration.

Cochtrane.

2 Likes

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 06, 2022
cochtrane:
Okay, please submit your interest this way:

You have one of two options:

Option 1:
-write a creative essay on the subject "2 plus 2..."

Your writing should show creativity and depth of thought. It should be no less than 1000 words. You can write more if you want, but it's preferable to keep it below 2000 words. Write in a clear and concise way and let your mind wander. The topic is "2 plus 2...". So, you are free to come up with whatever theme you find suitable. But stay on the subject. If your writing doesn't stay on the subject, you won't win.

Option 2:
-original elaboration on a mathematical topic.

Choose a topic in maths and extend it with your own ideas, showing what your thought process is. Of course, I'm not requiring that you invent a new mathematical process. That's not warranted. But I want you to find a maths topic that interests you and to attempt to extend it in a way that you think is original or fresh or intuitive. For example, you could take the binomial theorem and, say, extend it by arguing for a trinomial theorem, showing the formulas and all. Be inventive and creative.
There is no limit to what you can write here.

You will make two submissions.
-a summary of your ideas which you will post here on nairaland
-your main submission/entry (essay or maths topic) which you will email to me. To establish communication with me, just send a PM.

All work must be your own. I will run submissions through plagiarism checkers to make sure. The sole requirement is that you must be a student in a Nigerian University

The prize money is 100k for the winner and 40k for two honourable mentions (20k each). This scholarship is open for 4 weeks from today. That's until 7th of May.

I have sent a copy of my Essay "2 plus 2" to you Sir
My Essay centered around my Kid's mathematical deficiency thereby affecting his happiness and wellness around me whenever we sit for arithmetic practice
I wrote to the teacher demanding a tweak to the general rule not because I'm dumb about it but because of my kid's happiness,what if we decided 2+2=5
So what?
As a loving Father,I wouldn't mind 2+2 being 5 provided it doesn't make my son to see himself as a failure.....

Long Read,but its really worth it
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by cochtrane(m): 5:34pm On May 06, 2022
So far, we have submissions from those listed below.
- If you know you've submitted and your handle is not listed here, that could mean you haven't put a summary on this thread. So, please quote this post and include your summary, or direct me to where you've put your summary.
- If you are on this list and haven't sent your student ID, please do. Otherwise, you haven't officially entered this competition.
- If you are here and your submission has nothing to do with the two proposed topics, then it's also invalid and will eventually be disqualified.
- Tomorrow remains last day of submission

Lima98
Olowomi11
EmkayOfficial
seankafor
Addme
Kingkyle1
Lastbornbuns
Duchessree
Kreddy
Tekahashi
Benblaq
yungevvy
MrHistorian
JasperjNr

Alexaonfleek
Godsownfc
changein2020
VillageBus
Maryjane001
Johnchrix

5 Likes

Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Scamwatcher: 10:25pm On May 06, 2022
cochtrane:
- If you know you've submitted and your handle is not listed here, that could mean you haven't put a summary on this thread. So, please quote this post and include your summary, or direct me to where you've put your summary.
- If you are on this list and haven't sent your student ID, please do. Otherwise, you haven't officially entered this competition.
- If you are here and your submission has nothing to do with the two proposed topics, then it's also invalid and will eventually be disqualified.

Very good of you Sir for this initiative but beware that some of the participants may likely play a fast one on you by submitting more than one entries. It's a possibility.
Infact,some just registered few months ago, some few weeks ago and even one registered 2 days ago and his/her only comment is the summary he/she puts here.
I'm not pointing any accusing finger to anybody but just saying what we have seen severally on this forum. If you make a rule that any newly registered monikers will not be allowed please stick to it.
Kudos
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Alexaonfleek: 11:02pm On May 06, 2022
cochtrane:

Hello sir, here's a summary of my essay

Summary of the essay: Two plus two: An illustration of the concepts of perception and reality.

My essay sets out to properly analyse the concepts of perception and reality. I started by introducing a general overview of the two topics, comparing the answers to 'two plus two' which could have different answers, depending on how you look at it. I used this notion to explain how this theory could be used to explain the idea of concepts and reality. I further went on to compare these two theories by citing how they apply to society today.

I also talked about the differences between these two concepts and illustrated the importance of seeing things from a perspective similar to reality.

I then concluded by emphasizing the importance of increasing one's level of orientation to match one's perception to what is similar to reality.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Godsownfc(m): 3:47am On May 07, 2022
cochtrane:

Good day sir, I wrote on two plus two with the theme: Religion as a manipulative tool in Nigeria.
It actually talk on how so many religion adherents were brainwashed by their religious leaders to stick to their religious practices and no room for them to think concerning what they actually believe in. They are religious fanatics in the essence that they cannot think outside the box concerning their faith. Thanks sir!
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by changein2020: 11:00am On May 07, 2022
cochtrane:

Hello sir. Thank you for your kind initiative. I wrote and sent you a copy of my 2 plus 2 essays, with the theme: The Cowbellpedia experience. It chronicles my character's journey to the popular Mathematics Quiz Competition. How the zeal for maths started with the simple question asked, "2 plus 2?"
It is a worthy read.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by VillageBus(m): 7:56pm On May 07, 2022
cochtrane:

2 plus 2 isn't always 4
I wrote about how to 2 plus 2 doesn't always equal to four in life,how some religious teaching shows that 2+2 doesn't always equal to 4, and showed some topics in mathematics and physics that don't follow the 2+2=4 rule, like the cyclic addition and the addition of velocity(speed) in physics.
Re: Announcing Scholarship For Students by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 07, 2022
Good evening sir,
In my essay, I talked about how 2+ 2 can be anything an individual believes in - irrespective of what was originally known , provided he has a proven reason for saying so. And no one has any right to shun him, provided he isn't commiting a crime but only expressing himself.
2 + 2 can be equal to 7 or 10, but not always 4. This is because blackboard maths can be distorted when exposed to certain realities. That a large group of people think 2+2=4 doesn't always make it true. And people who think otherwise are shunned or considered wrong. This is exactly how gender stereotype came to be.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2009/2010 Uniport Post Ume Information / Is The Lecture Holding? Will The Lecture Be Held? Which Is Correct? / Life Nuggets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.